Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The ONE reason why ESO will get average reviews...

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
The lack of instanced quests... it makes no sense and it's insulting...

Bethesda wanted to merge single-player RPG mechanics with an MMO world - that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't work at all due to the fact they refuse to instance the quests...

Imagine this... we have ALL been through this so don't act like I'm crazy here.

In Daggerfall there is this great quest line to save the King from assassination... you talk to various NPCs, build some lore, and then you're off to kill or find the assassins... EVERY OPPORTUNITY FOR COMBAT IS RUINED by about 1,000 other players doing the same quest, killing the same mobs... it's a joke. There is no immersion, and it makes the game feel petty and shallow.

How in the HELL are you supposed to play a stealth character PLEASE someone explain?? You mean to tell me I need to "sneak" and kill mobs while about five other yokels rush in and kill steal/mob camp...

Give me a break.

Instance phases is not uncommon in MMOS... VERY disappointed Bethesda doesn't understand how to use it.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Opinions are like... You know. Personally I think it'll get smeared for the utterly lacking Ui. Functionality in Ui isn't uncommon in MMOs either but they left theirs with virtually none, and cruddy visual cues that aren't clear at all to "conpensate".
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 2, 2014 9:27PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    No this is the big one, I promise. I mean these quests are near to pathetic.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree with you.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with you.

PLEASE retort.

• knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    The guild quests, which are supposed to be some of the challenging solo content, are instanced (the challenging parts).
  • Qutayba
    Qutayba
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fair criticism, but it is an MMO, after all - they had to make some tough design choices. So far, I've found that the random and spontaneous teaming up with strangers to complete quest objectives to be surprising fun. Skyrim is still on my computer for when I want more solitary gameplay.
  • leperchans
    leperchans
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the world of MMOs where quest givers tell you that you are the only one strong enough to save them, but then you sit there and realize they just told another hundred thousand people before you the exact same thing and did the same thing.
    Co-founder and Leader of the The Daggerfall Brovenant!
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions are like... You know. Personally I think it'll get smeared for the utterly lacking Ui. Functionality in Ui isn't uncommon in MMOs either but they left theirs with virtually none, and cruddy visual cues that aren't clear at all to "conpensate".

Probably true, but.
    FTC still shows a lot of information. Most of your important buffs, and some enemy buffs are still displayed and stuff.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • timmy_tonerb14_ESO
    everyone has there opinion i agree with you to a certain point yes i believe the quests need to be better handled to make sure that everyone can do them with out problems...

i was in the beta and had no problems with completing quest but that was due to the lack of players now that it is live there using Mega servers which i think is kinda a bad idea for the entire USA to have a server and EU to have a server... that being said there is still alot of work to be done and im fairly certain that they probably will change the quests and other problem before you know it just it time Johnny...

i think this game still has alot of potential and maybe successful but i also predict that within a year or 2 the game may go F2P
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    You do relaizse this is an MMO right? and MMO mean Multi Massivly - as in MULTIPLE PEOPLE as in MORE THEN ONE. if you want instanced quests go play oblvion.
  • orablast
    orablast
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing if you wait a few months and start a new character, you will have all the newbie quest to yourself.
    Guild Master of Thornblade
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not everything from SPRPG can be applied in MMO and people seems to miss that point. You simply expecting, like many others, Skyrim/Oblivion with friends just please not too many. They had to make compromises, thats why we dont have arrows on corpses, no archery with 1shoot kill etc etc. Its called balance, and had to be done to allow game be an MMO.
    And quite many quests are actually instanced, in general i agree with you OP that it would be nice to have them all, i just know it is not possible for them, to instance every single quest in game.
    Something for something.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »

Probably true, but.
    FTC still shows a lot of information. Most of your important buffs, and some enemy buffs are still displayed and stuff.
    I also use FTC and I find that it more than makes up for UI shortages. As for instancing I've seen MMOs ruined by too much instancing. I'd rather they take it forward rather than reverse.

• Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    You don't do justice to your username, OP.
    As someone who truly has no skills in videogames, I welcome situations such as the one you're describing.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Salacious wrote: »
    You do relaizse this is an MMO right? and MMO mean Multi Massivly - as in MULTIPLE PEOPLE as in MORE THEN ONE. if you want instanced quests go play oblvion.

Agreed. There's a problem though. You know those 4 man dungeons where groups can go to find some adventure? The monsters inside don't give exp.

This game does all the hard things right and gets all the easy things wrong. It's bizarre.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    If there is an issue you have with the game, then you are as entitled to your opinion as the next person. But don't try to imagine that the gaming world agrees in order to give it some credibility; it just looks like you have no confidence in your argument.

As it happens, the reviews have been very favourable. Far more so than some other titles which went on to do very well indeed.
  • Saera
    Saera
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry but I have to disagree with you. The ui is perfect, (basic for those that want it just that) there were a couple things missing like a mini map and soem things like battle text etc which i use addons for which bethesda has always said they like to make sure the addon / modding community is involved, so i am pretty much under the impression that they left that stuff for them... as for the stealthy character thing i play a stealthy character and get hits in fine....
    Edited by Saera on April 2, 2014 10:01PM
  • byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    first off this game isnt made my Bethesda as such

yes I personally wish there were more private instance because I would like to use skill management to kill things not to have every fight ruined by people jumping in at the last second but that said once we all start branching out in the game it will be less of an issue. Though I would like to see less people allowed into every instance.
  • Elvikun
    Elvikun
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes. I'm not sure about press, but I just hate almost no instances ever.
    Oh, look, I just ran trough whole dungeon without meeting a single enemy NPC and then stood in line with 20 people at the end t kill the boss once it spawns (and hope you get a hit on it in the 0.7s it will stay up).
    Aw, cool, the quest sends you to a jail ...and look, there is 90 other people in the cell.
    Yay, a mob! Oh, damn the 7 people next to me killed it before the cast time of my spell ran out...

Surely, it'll get better as people disperse as the time passes, but still... You could tolarate that in UO or EQ, but then again, that was the baby years of MMO and they just didn't know better or the technology to do it wasn't avaliable.
    Failing is a lifestyle too.
  • Sockmunkey
    Mortuum wrote: »
    Not everything from SPRPG can be applied in MMO and people seems to miss that point. You simply expecting, like many others, Skyrim/Oblivion with friends just please not too many. They had to make compromises, thats why we dont have arrows on corpses, no archery with 1shoot kill etc etc. Its called balance, and had to be done to allow game be an MMO.

Thats not really a fair argument. I could get behind this line of thought if the quests were designed to be team oriented. But they arn't.

YOU, are the vestige. YOU, are often sent into places to be the soul hero. YOU are the one that needs to gather the seals to open the door. The very nature of the quests are designed with a lone heroic feel to them.

Had the quests, in both action and story, been designed to explain the extra help. Less people would, most likely, be upset with the lack of instances. As is it, it feels completely miss-mactched. Instead of being THE VESTIGE, or one of many stalwart heroes. You are reduced to one of many vestiges. And that is a real shame.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sockmunkey wrote: »

Thats not really a fair argument. I could get behind this line of thought if the quests were designed to be team oriented. But they arn't.

YOU, are the vestige. YOU, are often sent into places to be the soul hero. YOU are the one that needs to gather the seals to open the door. The very nature of the quests are designed with a lone heroic feel to them.

Had the quests, in both action and story, been designed to explain the extra help. Less people would, most likely, be upset with the lack of instances. As is it, it feels completely miss-mactched. Instead of being THE VESTIGE, or one of many stalwart heroes. You are reduced to one of many vestiges. And that is a real shame.

I haven't done much of the story yet, but so far all of the main story quests, where you are the vestige, have been instanced.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Sockmunkey
    And all the times where you are asked to light the lighthouse. To enter the sealed tomb. To gather the seals. To save the villagers. To enter the dwemer ruins, for the first time.

Pretty much EVERYTHING on the starting islands is this way. There is not even a provision for others to help you. You cant have others get the other two seals to open the tomb. You have to get all three by yourself. You cant have others rescue the imprisoned crew. You must do this alone, for all of them. And yet you are still forced to take a number or follow the parade of other players to do this.

You cant have them help and you cant get them out of the way. Its honestly the worst of both options.
  • Mortuum
    Mortuum
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, fine, but every game puts you, player, and your character in a shoos of a hero. SWTOR makes you one and only agent, jedi or whatever, in LOTRO you are the one assisting Frodo and fellowship in their efforts, etc etc etc. That is the way how MMOs are designed.

Would you agree to play smaller role in MMO, and let someone else on your server be a real hero? I doubt that. Thats how games are designed, and even if it is against logic(having 10000000 ''one and only totally unique'' agents/world savers etc etc), that is it, because everyone of us want to be that hero, that agent, that special someone.

Im not trying to insult anyone, but i think most of those posts and complains comes from people who are new to MMO genre in general. What we all see and agree is fact that before ESO we had several very successful games on market, played by millions of people. Part of this crowd never played MMO before (nothing wrong with it of course) so it is natural that they somehow are expecting same or similar experience to what they had earlier.

All i have tried to say was, that this is not possible, those compromises between SPRPG and MMO had to be made, to even start thinking about creating this game.

Technical issues and how servers works are different story, but it plays it role as well. Also, you have to see other point of view:why punish long time MMO players with endless instancing etc etc. Im playing with my friend, as i always did, and it will be very annoying for us to disband/reinvite to group each time we enter cave/house or any location.

Like with everything, there are 2 sides of coin, and i think balance Zeni found is fine, and should make both group of players happy.

• loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    I am kind of disappointed in this game, it is just like WoW and really gives me no reason to sub.
  • SpasticSpringbok
    The lack of instanced quests... it makes no sense and it's insulting...

Bethesda wanted to merge single-player RPG mechanics with an MMO world - that's all fine and dandy but it doesn't work at all due to the fact they refuse to instance the quests...

Imagine this... we have ALL been through this so don't act like I'm crazy here.

In Daggerfall there is this great quest line to save the King from assassination... you talk to various NPCs, build some lore, and then you're off to kill or find the assassins... EVERY OPPORTUNITY FOR COMBAT IS RUINED by about 1,000 other players doing the same quest, killing the same mobs... it's a joke. There is no immersion, and it makes the game feel petty and shallow.

How in the HELL are you supposed to play a stealth character PLEASE someone explain?? You mean to tell me I need to "sneak" and kill mobs while about five other yokels rush in and kill steal/mob camp...

Give me a break.

Instance phases is not uncommon in MMOS... VERY disappointed Bethesda doesn't understand how to use it.

once you get around level 10 it all changes, (just have some patience and there is no kill stealing - as long as u get a hit on the enemy u will get xp and loot.
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think theres a balance and LOTRO got it about right. lots of instanced solo quests where it was story driven, IE helping the felllowship progress on its story, but also had enough public stuff that was in open gameplay. like helping a village free itself from orcs or whatever.... i kinda think the balance is a little off in ESO. that being said i'm having a blast right now
  • Sockmunkey

Yes, fine, but every game puts you, player, and your character in a shoos of a hero. SWTOR makes you one and only agent, jedi or whatever, in LOTRO you are the one assisting Frodo and fellowship in their efforts, etc etc etc. That is the way how MMOs are designed.

Would you agree to play smaller role in MMO, and let someone else on your server be a real hero? I doubt that. Thats how games are designed, and even if it is against logic(having 10000000 ''one and only totally unique'' agents/world savers etc etc), that is it, because everyone of us want to be that hero, that agent, that special someone.

Im not trying to insult anyone, but i think most of those posts and complains comes from people who are new to MMO genre in general. What we all see and agree is fact that before ESO we had several very successful games on market, played by millions of people. Part of this crowd never played MMO before (nothing wrong with it of course) so it is natural that they somehow are expecting same or similar experience to what they had earlier.

All i have tried to say was, that this is not possible, those compromises between SPRPG and MMO had to be made, to even start thinking about creating this game.

Technical issues and how servers works are different story, but it plays it role as well. Also, you have to see other point of view:why punish long time MMO players with endless instancing etc etc. Im playing with my friend, as i always did, and it will be very annoying for us to disband/reinvite to group each time we enter cave/house or any location.

Like with everything, there are 2 sides of coin, and i think balance Zeni found is fine, and should make both group of players happy.

You seem to be missing the point. Its the game itself that is making it feel all disjointed. When I have to go through all these hoops to unlock a sealed tomb, only to find it filled with people and already looted. That is a problem. When the game tells me I'm entering a spooky place no one has been to before. My disappointment at finding it empty, looted, and ransacked. Is a creation of the game itself. When the game gives me disguises, encouraging me to slowly sneak around and use wit and stealth. Its hard not to feel like it was a complete wasted opportunity when there is no point in doing it, because its faster to just follow the parade of other players.

Those are options the game is putting forth and then wasting. Its the game itself that is telling players they are the lone hero, then taking it away.

Its needs to be one way or the other. Either allow people to be the solo hero that the very quests are indicating. Or change the quests to explain why the tomb is swarmed with adventurers.

• Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loops73 wrote: »
    I am kind of disappointed in this game, it is just like WoW and really gives me no reason to sub.

Sarcasm right?

• Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

In Tera you start off as a mere soldier, so no not every game makes you the one and only superhero destined to save the world.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Average Reviews are better then negative ones. Atleast with Average Reviews word of mouth will still greatly influence people getting the game. It would also set people up for possibly being pleasantly surprised at how the Reviews didnt truely reflect how amazing this game is and its full potential.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax