Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

What I learned about Scribing at the ESO Anniversary event

Hyperioxes
Hyperioxes
✭✭✭
Hey everyone, I made a video about stuff I learned about scribing at the ESO Anniversary event which you can find here

https://youtu.be/oB1IJ_UbU3k

if you prefer listening and watching, but I also decided to post a slightly edited transcript of it.

I managed to get like 40 minutes of playtime on my own during which I was just reading through the different scribing abilities, and then another hour during which we played through the new trial, though I didn’t mess too much with scribing during that because we all had to hurry up and make setups, because the point was just trying out the trial so it was better to stick to skills we already knew, but I did scribe magicka chains from the single target Soul Magic ability cuz it seemed like a straight up improvement up from Silver Leash and I was playing an Arcanist so it helped with sustain.

We weren’t allowed to record anything so I'm just going to talk about stuff I remembered, and I obviously did not remember everything or even had a chance to try everything out, I mostly skipped the scribing skills related to bows, dual wielding and two-handed because it’s not what tanks usually use so I decided to devote my limited time somewhere else. Keep in mind that numbers are all over the place and we were told they’re not final.

There are 11 scribing abilities:
  • 1 for each weapon skill line
  • 2 for Soul Magic skill line
  • 1 for Fighter’s Guild
  • 1 for Mage’s Guild
  • 1 for Assault skill line

There was no ability for the Support skill line and I don’t know if it’s intended or if it simply wasn’t finished on the preview build. In each of them there’ll be 3 rows in which you choose different options, with the 1st row usually being the most important as it could completely change how the ability works, 2nd row having a lot of variety and 3rd row being just buffs and debuffs the ability will apply.

One Handed and Shield - Shield Throw
The scribing skill related to One Handed and Shield is the Shield Throw. In the 1st row I was able to choose stuff like taunt, pull, knockback or multi-target so the shield bounces to 2 additional enemies, so for example you can’t make a multi-target taunt, you have to commit to one of these. It has a range of 28 meters which did not go down when I made a pull ability out of it, so if they don’t change it this ability will be the chain with the longest range, as all others like Unrelenting Grip and Silver Leash have 22 meters range.

In the 2nd row we had stuff like healing whenever the shield returns, resources when it returns, or instead you can make it bash enemies so combined with the multi-target from previous row you can have a very reliable interrupt ability which might be able to replace Crushing Shock. You could also make it apply a 20 second DoT which would continuously apply weapon enchantments, kinda like what Elemental Blockade already does for Destruction staves.

This 2nd row also always has an option of choosing class mastery, no matter which scribing ability it is, so this isn’t specific to Shield Throw. The class mastery is an effect that’s different depending on the class, for example for DK this was a buff that would give you weapon and spell damage and damage reduction that scaled up based on the amount of enemies around you, for Arcanist the class mastery is just generating 1 Crux so you can generate it with scribing abilities, Templar’s class special is granting armor but also slowing you down, Warden special is placing a slow on the ground and then charming enemies when it expires and if the enemies cannot be charmed, which is always going to be the case against bosses, it’s going to restore stamina and magicka. Necromancer special consumes all corpses to grant you bonuses or generates a corpse if there were none on the ground. Nightblades restore resources if the target was above 50% hp and get increased crit chance if the target was below 50% and Sorcerers get some pet stuff.

The 3rd row was mostly debuffs, off the top of my head it was stuff like Major Cowardice, Major Maim, Off-Balance, but also buffs like Major Resolve or Major Evasion for you, which is going to be great since if you didn’t get access to Major Evasion from your class abilities like for example if you’re a Nightblade there was no other reliable place you could get it from.

Destruction Staff - Elemental Explosion
The Destruction staff skill was a rather long channel that placed a big AoE on the ground. The 1st row has stuff like all types of elemental damage, so flame, frost and shock, but more importantly I remember it also having a dispel option, so you could remove enemy AoEs with it, I'm assuming it would work the same as Sorcerer’s negate ultimate, but since it’s not an ultimate it could be way more practical.

The only thing I distinctly remember from 2nd row is that you could make it apply all elemental status effects on hit, kinda like Elemental Susceptibility.

3rd row had all kinds of debuffs, like Breach, Cowardice, but what’s probably most interesting for tanks is Minor Brittle, and the timer on it was 20 seconds though that might’ve been a placeholder, but still it would allow you to apply Brittle in a quite big AoE.

Restoration Staff - Mender's Bond
Restoration scribing skill is basically Guard, though it transfers only 15% damage to you. The 1st row had stuff like healing, damage shields or resource restoration for your tethered ally.

2nd row had more unique stuff, like granting you and the target 8% block mitigation and block cost reduction, or transferring 1 ultimate point from you to the target per second.

3rd row was once again Minor Buffs and Debuffs and one of them was actually Minor Brittle so you could apply Minor Brittle to enemies just by touching them with the tether between you and the ally.

Soul Magic - Soul Touch
The Soul Magic skill line has 2 skills, and I actually managed to make use of the single target one during the short trial test. So once again I don’t remember all the options, but in the 1st row I chose Pull.

In the 2nd row I chose resource restore so whenever I used the skill I’d restore 1000 magicka and stamina.

In the 3rd row I chose Major Breach.

I feel like this is something every non-DK tank is going to want to use, not necessarily with the resource restore and Major Breach, but having access to magicka chains is going to be great.

Soul Magic - Soul Blast
The second Soul Magic skill was an AoE blast around you, and what’s the best thing about it is that you could choose Pull in the 1st row, so it would function basically like Vateshran’s sword and board.

From what I remember 2nd row had all kinds of stuff, I don’t remember all the options but I do remember I went with a 30% slow cuz it felt like the best option at the time.

In the last row I chose Minor Breach, so I had a skill that was basically Vateshran’s sword and board but it had no cooldown, it additionally slowed enemies and additionally applied Minor Breach. I know Vateshran also applies Major Maim, but this scribing ability can do it too, you can choose Major Maim in the last row instead of Minor Breach if that’s what you like, so I feel like this is going to completely replace Vateshran cuz it’s a straight up upgrade, you’re not even losing a skill slot cuz Vateshran forced you into slotting useless Power Bash anyway.

Fighter's Guild - Torchbearer
The Figher’s Guild ability is the Torch Swipe, which is a 2 second channel during which you swipe a torch in front of you 3 times. The first row can fundamentally change how this ability works, because if you choose any of the damage options, then well it’s going to deal damage and later options will apply debuffs to enemies. But you can also choose to turn it completely into a healing ability, the swipes will do no damage and thus apply no debuffs to your enemies, but they’ll instead heal your allies and if you later choose stuff like Minor Heroism it’ll be applied to the allies you’ve healed with it. Another supportive option, other than healing, is granting your allies ultimate when you swipe at them, which just like with healing will apply the buffs you’ll choose later to them, so you could make it a swipe that restores ultimate to your allies and grants them for example Minor Courage or Minor Force.

The one cool thing I remember from the 2nd row is that you can make it so the swipes grant you 30% damage reduction for like 2 seconds whenever you hit anyone with it, be it enemy or ally depending on the first row you chose, but then again this is probably a placeholder value.

Mage's Guild - Contingency
The Mage’s Guild ability places a rune on you that triggers whenever you cast any ability while being under 50% stamina or magicka. In the first row you can choose stuff like damage around you when it triggers, healing around you when it triggers, damage shield etc. You can also choose taunt, but it’s still not an AoE taunt, the description said it’d taunt one of the enemies hit by the explosion and I did not have time to test to see exactly how the targeting works.

The 2nd row had many things which I’ve forgotten by now because I hyper-fixated on only one of the options. This option makes it so that triggering the rune places an area on the ground which will continuously trigger the effect you'll pick in the 3rd row, kinda like Zenas Empowering Disc.

And the effects from the 3rd row were stuff like Minor Resolve, Minor Courage, but also Minor Force so obviously the thing that piqued my interest the most was the idea of creating a ground AoE that constantly applies Minor Force to your allies, and since healers already have to keep one of their resources below 50% for Pearls of Ehlnofey they could easily make use of this Mage’s Guild scribing ability, though I’m sure there’s gonna be way more useful combinations than just a Minor Force ring. You could for example make it apply Minor Courage if you don’t have an Arcanist in your group.

Assault - Trample
The Assault scribing skill is Trample, which is a channel during which you summon your mount to charge in front of you. This seems super interesting specifically for tanks because it’s an Assault skill so it can proc Powerful Assault, giving us a lot more options than just proccing it with Vigor or Caltrops. From what I remember the 1st row had stuff like knockback, stuns and different damage types, but I focused on the other rows.

The 2nd row had an option to make it guaranteed to apply Sundered, Concussed and Hemorrhaging, which means that by sending your horse through a trash pack you could apply Minor Breach and Minor Vulnerability for 4 seconds. It also had more specific stuff like prolonging your Continuous Attack buff, the one you get for capping stuff in PvP.

The 3rd row had the usual debuffs like Minor Vulnerability, Minor Cowardice, I think it also had Minor Breach but I don’t remember it exactly.

Other Stuff
Now towards the end I wanna come back to weapon skill lines that aren’t typical for tanking, though as I’ve already said I barely looked at them, but I did see 3 things - the Bow scribing ability can taunt, the 2handed scribing ability can taunt and the dual wield scribing ability has an option to apply a debuff that increases enemies’ all martial damage taken so it can be quite interesting.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You clearly understand this game way more than I do. 😅
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
    Options
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really informative, thank you!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the niche things people can find situations for by selecting different options.

The last one you mentioned with Dual Wield increasing enemies' martial damage taken obviously sounds like it would be really useful for raid group but we don't have numbers yet.
    Edited by Rkindaleft on April 7, 2024 9:59PM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.

Tic Tacs Tormentor | Immortal Beemer | Gryphon Fart | Codslayer | Yawnbringer | Drainsbreaker
    Options
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just hoping thats mag sorcs can get a decent spammable and im hoping for class scribing skills I think I read somewhere there were going to be 40 at launch....
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
    Options
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for all this great information! I can't wait til Scribing goes live. I may have to even check it out on the PTS first!!
    Options
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work. Thanks!
    Options
  • JerBearESO
    JerBearESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the info! Hoping to read the other abilities too :O maybe someone can fill in the blanks xD
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to write it all up.

Do you happen to remember if Major Savagery was an option on any of the skills and the duration of it if it was?

I think it will definitely be interesting to see how they end up maintaining balance and character identity with scribing.

Options
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you for info! Nowadays I only play very casually because I'm tired of nerfs and skill shifts, so the best ability of all mentioned sounds like:
    The Assault scribing skill is Trample, which is a channel during which you summon your mount to charge in front of you.

If it actually uses skin of the player's current mount (and not just a generic horse), it will be hilarious to observe how my, for example, zombie bear mount tramples mobs and critters :D
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In regard to Class Mastery, so Templar is the only class that has a negative to the effect, surely they didn't treat Templar like this?

I will wait for PTS to provide my feedback but if this is true it better be a massive armour buff.... they really don't want Templar to be mobile
    Edited by James-Wayne on April 8, 2024 12:20AM
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
    Options
  • Hyperioxes
    Hyperioxes
    ✭✭✭
    Do you happen to remember if Major Savagery was an option on any of the skills and the duration of it if it was?

No, I don't remember if there was Major Savagery, the durations were usually either 10 or 20 seconds, but many of the values are placeholders
    Fischblut wrote: »
    If it actually uses skin of the player's current mount (and not just a generic horse), it will be hilarious to observe how my, for example, zombie bear mount tramples mobs and critters :D

It does, the test account had only the Deluxe chapter edition mounts so I used Holdbreaker Warhorse on a DK and Hermitage Servitor on Arcanist
    In regard to Class Mastery, so Templar is the only class that has a negative to the effect, surely they didn't treat Templar like this?

I will wait for PTS to provide my feedback but if this is true it better be a massive armour buff.... they really don't want Templar to be mobile

Yes I think Templar class mastery is the only one with a downside, though I'm not entirely sure about Sorcerer since I didn't test that one myself, I was only told that it's something about pets.

Can't tell you anything about the armor value since it was literally 0 on the test server and the snare was 50% if I remember correctly.
    Options
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    I'm just hoping thats mag sorcs can get a decent spammable and im hoping for class scribing skills I think I read somewhere there were going to be 40 at launch....

Force Pulse, Crushing Shock, Ele Weapon... All are pretty great options. Ele Weapon is better than most class spammables.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »

I’d rather see that from making the Storm Calling skill line actually viable! :( There are several skill that look cool but are sadly useless. It looks like the scribing skills are larger casts in cost or time as well (although there could be more that we don’t know about of course) which wouldn’t be the type of skill one could use as a spammable.
    Options
  • t88connolly
    t88connolly
    Soul Shriven
    It was nice of you to provide both the video and written explanations. Thank you for all the effort.
    Options
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Templar’s class special is granting armor but also slowing you down"

Man I really really hope they don't go through with this, it looks like the only kiss curse special too. Going to cross my fingers that the PTS patch notes show some changes to this.
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veesk wrote: »

Man I really really hope they don't go through with this, it looks like the only kiss curse special too. Going to cross my fingers that the PTS patch notes show some changes to this.

It reminds me of Wrathsun, the first Class Set for Templar, being the only one of the Class Sets to debuff the user when the effect procs. I wonder why Templar has been getting all of these effects?
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i now want to see what trample would do if your selected mount was the stick horse :D
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i now want to see what trample would do if your selected mount was the stick horse :D

Good question! I'd like to know what Trample does if you don't have a selected mount, i.e. you use the skill on a new character who hasn't yet selected a mount. I'm sure someone's bound to test these things when the PTS arrives next week.

Also, I wonder if the "random mount" option would randomize the mount on every cast of the skill? That'd be fun to see!

Options
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope scribbling do not apply when doing PVP. The horror stories to be told if that is the case.
    Options
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veesk wrote: »

It reminds me of Wrathsun, the first Class Set for Templar, being the only one of the Class Sets to debuff the user when the effect procs. I wonder why Templar has been getting all of these effects?

This is such a bummer as a trend.
    Edited by Veesk on April 11, 2024 12:07AM
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcaceresw wrote: »
    I just hope scribbling do not apply when doing PVP. The horror stories to be told if that is the case.

I hope we get to use Scribing in PvP. After all, one of the Grimoires is for the Assault skill line, which is in the Alliance War category. I'm looking forward to using Grimoires in general across PvE and PvP.

Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, the abilities will be usable in PVP. As for whether or not there are things to find for it in PVP-land there, should be. It would help add life to the lifeless parts of the map, especially if they put components in delves or town quests. Fingers crossed for IC too I hope there's stuff off scamps or bosses in the sewers. Certainly not exclusively for PVP here's hoping its evenly spaced but definitely something to incentivize more cross-pollenation.
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure this is going to wreak havok on PvP.

Scribing should be a purely cosmetic thing, not something people have to buy if they don't want it. Now there are going to be people in groups and zones that have augmented abilities that those who haven't paid for them won't have. Sounds fair. Not.
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

Scribing should be a purely cosmetic thing, not something people have to buy if they don't want it. Now there are going to be people in groups and zones that have augmented abilities that those who haven't paid for them won't have. Sounds fair. Not.

How is this any different from people who have access to DLC skill lines like Psijic Order, or DLC Classes like Arcanist and Warden? Skill Styling is the cosmetic "spellcrafting" feature, while Scribing is the functional "spellcrafting" feature. One without the other would make a lot of people upset.

Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not any different from classes or psijic or any other of the optional skill lines.
    Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »

It's not any different from classes or psijic or any other of the optional skill lines.

Yes it is, or certainly appears to be.
    Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well yes its different in a number of ways. but not in that it's a skill line we have to pay for access to.
    Warden Necro Arcanist and Psijiic at the very least have already set the precedent, not to mention antiquities.

Options
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well yes its different in a number of ways. but not in that it's a skill line we have to pay for access to.
    Warden Necro Arcanist and Psijiic at the very least have already set the precedent, not to mention antiquities.

So everyone will get access to scribing, not just those who buy the latest chapter? Am I misunderstanding this?
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So everyone will get access to scribing, not just those who buy the latest chapter? Am I misunderstanding this?

Scribing is from Gold Road, but Arcanist is from Necrom, Necro is from Elsweyr, Warden is from Vvardenfell, Psijic is from Summerset.
    Edited by Soarora on April 9, 2024 9:33PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The Scribing system will be unlocked in the Gold Road Chapter, because the quest to learn how to do Scribing is accessed in the West Weald zone. Then, additional Scribing skills which are added to the game may be found in later DLCs.

It's really no different from systems like Antiquities. You need access to Western Skyrim (via the Greymoor Chapter) to join the Antiquarian Circle, but then additional Antiquities and Mythics are found in other DLCs and zones.

Options
  • Hyperioxes
    Hyperioxes
    ✭✭✭

Good question! I'd like to know what Trample does if you don't have a selected mount, i.e. you use the skill on a new character who hasn't yet selected a mount. I'm sure someone's bound to test these things when the PTS arrives next week.

Also, I wonder if the "random mount" option would randomize the mount on every cast of the skill? That'd be fun to see!

I tested Trample with no mount selected, it was defaulting to a basic brown horse. I didn't test the "random mount" option though
    Edited by Hyperioxes on April 9, 2024 11:29PM
    Options