The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Infinite Archive Furnishing Plans

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Great. Force people interested in housing into IA.

Bah.

You can buy them from traders, I think the drop rate for plans is good in the IA, so there will be more in the market in a while. Or you can ask a friend/guildie who has the recipe to make you the furnishing.

This is true. As much as I want to collect the plans as well, it’s good that they retain value. And as you said, you can still buy or trade for the crafted furnishing from others.

What I really wish ZOS would increase the droprate on is books from the Archive, Scrivener’s Hall, and Bastion Nymic! :( Since those items are bound, there is no possibility to buy them.

Agreed, and/or unbind them so we could sell duplicates. And I’ve always thought antiquities should be sellable too after we dig them up. It would help make that tomb raider fantasy more real.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 2:11AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a couple of the bound gold motifs and 4/5 leads for the new mythic - all from end of cycle and side quests chests and marauders - but the purple furnishing patterns don't seem to drop

They certainly used to.

Im about to give up on chasing imps during boss fights because the rewards aren't worth the distraction.

It just seems the purple rewards are much lighter on after the patch.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AndyMac wrote: »
    I've got a couple of the bound gold motifs and 4/5 leads for the new mythic - all from end of cycle and side quests chests and marauders - but the purple furnishing patterns don't seem to drop

They certainly used to.

Im about to give up on chasing imps during boss fights because the rewards aren't worth the distraction.

It just seems the purple rewards are much lighter on after the patch.

I’ve received my best drops from loot goblins and marauders. But, yes, it does put you at risk, chasing those little guys during the boss round, especially the further you get. So far, I’ve run the archive four times. Two runs to the end of the 3rd arc once to the end of the fourth arc, and once midway through the fifth arc. I estimate I’ve opened close to 100 chests and probably another 20 drops between marauders and loot goblins. I believe I have received 5 new style pages (pretty sure they were all from chests), and 2 of the new furnishing plans, one green and one blue. Both were from loot goblins. I also received an old purple plan (was excited until I realized it was an old plan) also from a loot goblin. I have also had a couple of antiquity leads and a gold bookcase furnishing plan, also old.
    Edited by carlos424 on March 17, 2024 2:48PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the droprate for the first round of Apocrypha furnishings were good — the greens and blues were relatively common while the purples and golds have retained significant value. Only one new plan, a blue one, in a five hour run. I enjoy the Archive, but that’s the limit of my endurance and it is not often I can go that long in one go. Lots of styles pages though, unfortunately. Maybe once I collect them all my drop rate on furnishing plans will improve? Will be a long time though… Also been a long time since I got a new-to-me book furnishing as a drop (and I do have them read), not that I’m not grateful for duplicates, but somehow, while my performance and progression in the content itself has improved, I’m not sure that the reward track has kept pace, or maybe that’s just my perception…
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree entirely with all of what Araneae said.

Nice though it is to make millions of gold selling rare drops, I want to be able to buy and use these plans. Drops are insanely infrequent for the effort it takes.

I also don't want the bound, class-bound style pages.

It'd be so nice if we could trade our drops in to the Filers for the rewards we do want instead (if not simply just making them buyable with Fortunes). Like a style page for a purple plan.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    Got to arc 8-5-3 today. Class rank nr1.
    Did all the side portals, killed all the goblins that spawned.
    Abosultely zero new furnishing plans.

Im fine with the drops being rare and all that, but I think this is kind of ridicilous considering the time investment archive already takes.

Please scale the drop rate on higher arcs atleast.
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

IA is pretty easy early on.

you can always buy plans in guild traders if that hurdle is too high.

I don’t find IA too high a hurdle/difficult, I find it dull.

This is not what I enjoy doing in my limited game time - mindlessly killing adds. Almost as bad as dummy humping.

And the drop rate (at least for me) has been beyond dire.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

Bah.

Nobody's being forced to run anything. If people can't be bothered to run content for goodies, then they can expect to overpay for those goodies on guild traders.

So go into IA or overpay… “Not forced”, just strong armed, coerced? Wow, such great choices. How about NOT putting furniture plans in there at all? Or, making it not such a grind fest, ya know, like make it fun?

Or, they could have just kept the old system that they ran for many years without complaints.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean I wish they would drop fairly often as well or at least have a fortune container for furnishing plans.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't mind IA either, it can be fun in duos and a more fun grind than some other options.

But beyond Arc 3 it starts to take longer and it's physically taxing and draining. It's not worth going for 2+ hours over and over, to not get anything at all.

Arc 8 as mentioned above is not even reachable for a vast majority, me included. I don't even want to get there, considering how ridiculous it is just at 5-6.

I prefer it to flipping 😑 But at this rate, it seems like the mind-numbing loadscreen-filled purgatory of visiting every trader in the game for hours is a better method of finding the plans at an ok price.
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »
    I really don't mind IA either, it can be fun in duos and a more fun grind than some other options.

But beyond Arc 3 it starts to take longer and it's physically taxing and draining. It's not worth going for 2+ hours over and over, to not get anything at all.

Arc 8 as mentioned above is not even reachable for a vast majority, me included. I don't even want to get there, considering how ridiculous it is just at 5-6.

I prefer it to flipping 😑 But at this rate, it seems like the mind-numbing loadscreen-filled purgatory of visiting every trader in the game for hours is a better method of finding the plans at an ok price.

Aye. To clarify. The run itself took like 5 hours and that was on a decent vision RNG.
    I have build specifically for archive.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoonPile wrote: »

Aye. To clarify. The run itself took like 5 hours and that was on a decent vision RNG.
    I have build specifically for archive.

So do we, and try to optimize it for each arc so we blaze through the first two fast, but then have to invest more in survivability as there are increasing sources of damage that can’t be taunted or otherwise controlled. Sometimes visions and verses make up the damage, sometimes not.

I probably need to optimize my irl gear for such long stretches, but I was getting fatigue (it was late for me too), muscle cramps, and a pinched nerve upon reaching arc 6 at the conclusion of a 5 hour run (we weren’t out of threads but I needed to get to bed).

Maybe we are not super fast, but I think we get faster and farther with practice and optimization, and I really do enjoy the challenge of the archive, but I wish it were possible to save progress or face fewer mobs in an arc after defeating it so many times, or that the drop rates of the new furnishing plans were better, but they seem to drop even less frequently than the original purple plans (I’ve never gotten a gold).
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 2:10AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Bah.

Nobody's being forced to run anything. If people can't be bothered to run content for goodies, then they can expect to overpay for those goodies on guild traders.

So go into IA or overpay… “Not forced”, just strong armed, coerced? Wow, such great choices. How about NOT putting furniture plans in there at all? Or, making it not such a grind fest, ya know, like make it fun?

Or, they could have just kept the old system that they ran for many years without complaints.

People complain when they don't add content, and others complain when they do. Just can't win. I definitely prefer the furnishing plan drops in IA over the lead drop implementation for motif chapters such as Ancient Daedric. At least with IA you're playing the game instead of having to buy gobs of treasure maps to roll the RNG dice.

To the point that you were trying to make, it comes down to supply and demand. People can't or don't want to run IA and others either do and/or are willing to profit from it. Just how it works.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

For years housing had its plans drop from world event, delve, and wb dailies. They spread a few around as drops from chests, etc. but the primary source was good old fashioned overland content.

Then with Necrom they put the plans (and the plans materials) nearly exclusively into end game content such as IA, etc. Casual (re; people who don’t do dungeon type content) are essentially locked out of it.
    And what’s worse is that IA is terrible. It’s just a long literally endless grind fest. Put out a game like that as a stand alone product, no one would play it. It’s content better suited for bots than actual people. (If bots were legal I would be all in on letting it do IA for me. While I went off and played games that were actually fun like cyberpunk.)

And add to it, what is probably the worst combat system of any modern game currently on the market (or at least top five worst) and yes there will be complaints.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And add to it, what is probably the worst combat system of any modern game currently on the market (or at least top five worst) and yes there will be complaints.

Honestly, I like ESO’s combat system overall. I like being able to block. I like not depending on cooldowns and having resource management. I like having a GCD — people complain about LA but it beats trying to hit four different skills during a half second window to maximize some buff before it goes on cooldown. I won’t argue it’s perfect and certainly people will have different preferences, but I think the combat is more “casual” friendly than GW2 for instance, where you have dodge but no other mitigation that isn’t an ability, more limited heals, and other aspects that make death harder to avoid.

More on topic, I do like IA and the inclusion of furnishing plans as rewards, I just think the new ones are TOO rare overall. In contrast, I feel like this class bound stuff I have no interest in is being forced on us. Why couldn’t it be like event pages at least where those bought with currency are bound but those gotten as drops are sellable??? I’d be happy with a system like that for furnishing plans too, so long as it were curated or random specific plans on sale or something.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on March 19, 2024 7:33PM
  • PapaTankers
    PapaTankers
    ✭✭✭

Bah.

People complain when they don't add content, and others complain when they do. Just can't win. I definitely prefer the furnishing plan drops in IA over the lead drop implementation for motif chapters such as Ancient Daedric. At least with IA you're playing the game instead of having to buy gobs of treasure maps to roll the RNG dice.

To the point that you were trying to make, it comes down to supply and demand. People can't or don't want to run IA and others either do and/or are willing to profit from it. Just how it works.

For years housing had its plans drop from world event, delve, and wb dailies. They spread a few around as drops from chests, etc. but the primary source was good old fashioned overland content.

Then with Necrom they put the plans (and the plans materials) nearly exclusively into end game content such as IA, etc. Casual (re; people who don’t do dungeon type content) are essentially locked out of it.
    And what’s worse is that IA is terrible. It’s just a long literally endless grind fest. Put out a game like that as a stand alone product, no one would play it. It’s content better suited for bots than actual people. (If bots were legal I would be all in on letting it do IA for me. While I went off and played games that were actually fun like cyberpunk.)

I don't get the point you are trying to make.
    Overland and delve content is a mindless and boring grindfest to many of us also. It provides zero challenge.

How are casual players locked out of the rewards? Everything is sold via guild traders. Style pages are sold via infinite archive vendor.
    I don't like doing overland content. I go buy the overland motifs from guild traders. These furnishing plans are not bound.

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

Overland and delve content is a mindless and boring grindfest to many of us also. It provides zero challenge.

How are casual players locked out of the rewards? Everything is sold via guild traders. Style pages are sold via infinite archive vendor.
    I don't like doing overland content. I go buy the overland motifs from guild traders. These furnishing plans are not bound.

Wb and delve quests were usually pretty quick when you get the pattern down. But more to the point, you do the quest and it’s done, come back tomorrow No, keep doing the same quest again and again the same day until you get a drop. It’s a grind but a short grind each day. Not a literal endless grind with low drops.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

No game company is looking to emulate eso’s game system. Light attack weaving, animation canceling, bar swapping, pin point timing on cooldown rotations…. It’s terrible.

Look at cyberpunk. Do the thing, the thing happens, done, no rotations. Combat is fast, kinetic and engaging. And even in a sci-if setting it feels more “real” than ESO’s. You don’t see videos of players doing eso combat like you see in cyberpunk or other games. And yes eso is an mmo, but that is no excuse. Combat can just as easily be more situational than rotational in eso.

Compare eso’s combat even to Skyrim’s. Skyrim wasn’t that amazing but it felt better than this artificial mess of eso’s.

What’s worse is the delta between top and bottom dps ranks. The top end is in the 110k’s or even 120k’s plus, but the average player is probably somewhere around 20k dps. How do you make content for that spread? It’s unsustainable.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

No game company is looking to emulate eso’s game system. Light attack weaving, animation canceling, bar swapping, pin point timing on cooldown rotations…. It’s terrible.

Look at cyberpunk. Do the thing, the thing happens, done, no rotations. Combat is fast, kinetic and engaging. And even in a sci-if setting it feels more “real” than ESO’s. You don’t see videos of players doing eso combat like you see in cyberpunk or other games. And yes eso is an mmo, but that is no excuse. Combat can just as easily be more situational than rotational in eso.

Compare eso’s combat even to Skyrim’s. Skyrim wasn’t that amazing but it felt better than this artificial mess of eso’s.

What’s worse is the delta between top and bottom dps ranks. The top end is in the 110k’s or even 120k’s plus, but the average player is probably somewhere around 20k dps. How do you make content for that spread? It’s unsustainable.

if tanks and healers could do 120k dps without giving up anything they are already doing, everyone would just build extremely tanky and no death runs would become basically a joke unless you sheer ignore mechanics

in regards to other posts, the furnishings being a part of archive is literally no different than several style sets locked behind tel var purchases in IC

there are literally 3 different style page sets which are purchaseable only through tel var, as all of the pages are bound, so you cant buy them on guild stores either (unlike the furnishing plans from the archive)

i dont see anything wrong with them adding drops to specific areas of the game

the archive is absolutely not end game, at least arc 1 (which is not really any more difficult than a normal group duneon)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

if tanks and healers could do 120k dps without giving up anything they are already doing, everyone would just build extremely tanky and no death runs would become basically a joke unless you sheer ignore mechanics

in regards to other posts, the furnishings being a part of archive is literally no different than several style sets locked behind tel var purchases in IC

there are literally 3 different style page sets which are purchaseable only through tel var, as all of the pages are bound, so you cant buy them on guild stores either (unlike the furnishing plans from the archive)

the archive is absolutely not end game, at least arc 1 (which is not really any more difficult than a normal group duneon)

Style pages and furnishings are two totally different things. Maybe style pages would be of use in RP guilds, maybe. But there are guilds dedicated to housing. And not to stereotype them too much, but most people who like to dedicate their time in game to housing, are not really also dedicating their time on combat mechanics.

The shear vast weight of furnishing plans and items in IA way out strips any furnishing drops in IC. The new legendary piece is close to 100% in there, as is the latest ToT deck (I believe). ESO is putting so much emphasis to try to get people in there it’s actually a bit embarrassing.
    The new writ vendor furnishings, even the one that looks like a simple timber frame for a house, all uses drops from IA as materials. Not overland Necrom, no, IA specifically. I half expect to log in one day and see all of the endeavors related to IA.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

Style pages and furnishings are two totally different things. Maybe style pages would be of use in RP guilds, maybe. But there are guilds dedicated to housing. And not to stereotype them too much, but most people who like to dedicate their time in game to housing, are not really also dedicating their time on combat mechanics.

The shear vast weight of furnishing plans and items in IA way out strips any furnishing drops in IC. The new legendary piece is close to 100% in there, as is the latest ToT deck (I believe). ESO is putting so much emphasis to try to get people in there it’s actually a bit embarrassing.
    The new writ vendor furnishings, even the one that looks like a simple timber frame for a house, all uses drops from IA as materials. Not overland Necrom, no, IA specifically. I half expect to log in one day and see all of the endeavors related to IA.

i see both (style pages and furnishing plans) as collectors items, i dont really do much in the way of housing but i still want to collect them, i also enjoy running the archive more than i do delve dailies from any zone

im usually more willing to buy things instead of farming them as long as they are not overpriced (according to my tastes of price) so i dont have to grind daily quests that i dont enjoy

as i said, at least the furnishing plans are still obtainable through other means (such as buying them from other players) if you really dont enjoy the content

if you liked style pages for outfitting characters, and wanted the ones from IC, then you would have to put in the time/effort to earn them yourself as thats the only way to get them

im sure you would probably complain if they added furnishing plans that only dropped from something else you dont like to do (trials, pvp (cyro, BG, or IC), or even group dungeons)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know many people who enjoy both housing and the Archive — myself included. :) It just feels like the new furnishing plans are too rare or gated behind higher arcs, but time will tell.

Speaking of IC and style pages, I WISH the class style pages worked like that — perfectly fine to be bind on pickup if they’re purchased, so long as that’s clear, as then you just buy them if you actually want them and othwrwise spend your currency elsewhere. But if a style page drops, it should be sellable! :angry:
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

There is only one little thing: market doesn't fill with furnishing plans fast enough. Overland content is something that thousands of people do everyday. IA is something that much smaller number of people does at longer intervals.

Thus, an overland motif page costs between 50k and 500k for the popular ones (PC EU). Furnishing plans cost between 300k and 3 mil for the most interesting ones. And these prices might not drop that much, because it is unlikely that more people will start farming (quite actually the opposite, it will be less people farming IA furnishing plans soon, when they get the plans they needed and buy those that are left). And the pace at which the market fills with purple furnishing plans is rather slow, so the price drop might significantly slowdown somewhere near what we gonna have at the end of this weekend.

Also don't forget, that after spending 1-2 mil on a furnishing plan, you would need to buy materials to craft the actual items (which are also hard to come by nowadays), which could sum up to 50k gold per item. And for structural plans you do wanna get a bunch of such furnishings, so that would be 500k-1mil more.

Housing in ESO was never a cheap hobby, you could easily spend 5+ mil on furnishing alone before, when everything on the housing market was 3-6 times cheaper than nowadays.

So please, don't tell people "just buy it", because the pricing is outlandish, really (and it is so because the droprate is not that good)
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 19, 2024 10:42PM
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

People who aren't interested in "end game content" can still farm Necrom & Apocrypha furnishing plans in Sailenmora Crypt. It takes 2-3 minutes to knock out the first part of the quest required to access the crypt, and once inside there are only a handful of enemies that shouldn't pose any sort of danger to all but the most green adventurers. Farm the plans that you want and sell the rest so that you can buy the plans that drop in IA.

Every new plan from this last patch (that is not from the writ vendor) appears to exclusively drop from IA. As for the impact this all has, please read @NoTimeToWait post above.

All apocrypha plans also require 1-2 glass eyes which are dropped (almost exclusively, I believe) in IA as well. They are so rare they go for several thousand gold each because so few people are doing IA.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every new plan from this last patch (that is not from the writ vendor) appears to exclusively drop from IA. As for the impact this all has, please read @NoTimeToWait post above.

All apocrypha plans also require 1-2 glass eyes which are dropped (almost exclusively, I believe) in IA as well. They are so rare they go for several thousand gold each because so few people are doing IA.

I've never been in IA, and won't ever do that sort of content. I've got half a dozen of the eyes on a couple of my accounts - I assume from deconning stuff from Apocrypha. Admittedly, that's not much for nearly a year with the chapter, but then....

First, I really don't have any use for Dunmeri content. Only reason I spend any time at all in either Tel Pen or Apocrypha is antiquities and surveys.

Second, I don't have any use for Dunmeri furniture or houses or styles/motifs.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glass eyes are from the Scrivener’s Hall dungeon.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1.) I understand that the new plans come exclusively from IA. I mentioned that people who aren't inclined to run IA can always farm the other set of Necrom/Apocrypha plans which they can learn and/or sell to offset the cost of purchasing the new plans. If that isn't palatable, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess those people just don't get to have those plans.

2.) The crafting material drops from Scrivener's Hall, and I'm assuming that the same people are most likely not interested in running this content either. Once again, they can either farm the dungeon for materials (even on normal), or they can buy the same items on guild traders.

The problem is specifically high costs of housing in this game, which are getting higher. And these last furnishing plans and mats are a direct part of this problem.

You can easily drop 20 mil gold on furnishing a single house. That's without the costs of furnishing plans. If you add furnishing plans that could go anywhere around 25 mil (total spending), or even more. How many players do you think can get 30+ mil of disposable gold? Of course, it's not an entry level spending, but you get there eventually

You could say that other endgame activities are also heavy on spending, but both PVE and PVP generate a decent amount of gold (especially high tier PVE) while housing is something you take out of your coffer and won't get back.
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on March 20, 2024 6:17AM