Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "New Order Of The Lamp Crates"

• NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and ZOS is encouraging this behavior while people suffer headaches and eye strain.

ZOS is encouraging people to have fun playing the game, yes. That is what character customization is for. Having fun playing the game. I know you enjoy character customization as well. And you should. It's fun. And in a multi-player game, you have to tolerate other people having fun in ways you don't.

Eye strain and headaches are problems for you to solve, not the community.

This is such an insensitive and ignorant response.

If Arcanist beams, flashbang weapon styles and mounts, along with nuke recall customsations had been a thing since the beginning of the game, then yes, it would be on me, but they haven't. TES has always been more subtle with those things, and is one reason many like it.
    So because this is a recent thing, long after I joined the game, it's not on me. It's on ZOS who changes and adding things that causes stress and actual health issues onto existing players 9 years after its release.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, good luck with that then. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 1, 2024 5:44PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, good luck with that then. [snip]

Nice DARVO there. There is no reason to further reply.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 1, 2024 5:44PM
  • Ienaore
    Ienaore
    ✭✭
    Should have other ways to get crown gems. There is some crate furnishing I am not using and not able to extract gems from them, is there a time limit to extract gems from crate furnishing ?
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So is everyone going to buy enough crates to get enough crown gems to by the new mount for 2500 of them?

Talk about inflation!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • ItsNotLiving
    ItsNotLiving
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yippee more predatory RNG crates how exciting!1!!1!!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People misuse the term “predatory” all the time. You can like them or not, buy them or not, but no one is being tricked into anything. Frankly, I find it insulting. Different things appeal to different people and marketing tactics may influence desires, but ultimately, we should each own our decisions on what we do, including what we buy.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People misuse the term “predatory” all the time. You can like them or not, buy them or not, but no one is being tricked into anything. Frankly, I find it insulting. Different things appeal to different people and marketing tactics may influence desires, but ultimately, we should each own our decisions on what we do, including what we buy.

It does obscure the true price of the expensive mount.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do not care for bundling items in an $80 crown crate pack, but this is the one I've found most tempting. The thing about the fancy recall actions we've received so far...

Coldfire Recall: Okay, so Coldharbour-themed. Good for necromancers.
    Legionnaire's Recall: Ah, based on Legion Zero. So kind of also Coldharbour-themed...
    Frostfall Recall: You read a cursed scroll and are surprised by what it does.
    Accursed Recall: You use a cursed orb and are surprised by what it does.

I appreciate the creativity on display, but I think it would be nice if we could get a little more varied options? Like, 1 Coldharbour thing, 1 cursed object thing, and then branch out to other options? I'd love a subtle Psijic portal, for example. I saw someone else suggest a smoke bomb for non-magic characters to use, too.
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭

I enjoy crown crates and do not have a gambling addiction, but I wouldn't downplay the very real way in which they were purposefully designed to be addictive. I can see a good argument for calling anything that mimics the core appeal of gambling "predatory." Using well-established psychological techniques to influence certain consumers to make unhealthy financial decisions that benefit the corporation definitely feels like a good enough match for the term.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I enjoy crown crates and do not have a gambling addiction, but I wouldn't downplay the very real way in which they were purposefully designed to be addictive. I can see a good argument for calling anything that mimics the core appeal of gambling "predatory." Using well-established psychological techniques to influence certain consumers to make unhealthy financial decisions that benefit the corporation definitely feels like a good enough match for the term.

Sadly, I see this in ALL marketing campaigns, every commercial on television is designed to either consciously or subconsciously manipulate us in some way. I cannot blame ZOS’s marketing department for doing what every other company out there does in their efforts to part us from our money. These days, it has to be up to the consumer to be able to see through and resist these efforts, and knowingly make conscious decisions about what is best for them.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does anyone remember a few years back, when you could see your own (and other's) non-combat pets while talking to NPCs? So you could end up in a situation with somebody's dragon imp flapping in the face of the NPC you were talking to?

And then they changed it in an update a while back so that these pets disappear when you talk to someone?

Well. I recently learned first hand that RECALL animations do not disappear when you're talking to an NPC.

I was talking to an NPC, trying to listen to them, when all the sudden I could no longer see the NPC. A field of PURPLE completely obscured and enveloped the NPC as somebody else was using the new recall animation near us. This was while I was actually in the dialogue menu.

I'm really sorry, but this is far more distracting and intrusive than any dragon imp flapping in the background ever was. It is my hope that ZOS might consider making it so that recall animation effects also disappear when talking to NPCs, as I can see this potentially being used to troll people doing story and stuff.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. Also the crown gem system combined with the inherent nature of RNG obscures the price of the item, which specifically may influence someone to make a purchase they otherwise would not have. Crowns at least have a monetary value per crown, gems don't have that. And the odds aren't easily accessible.

Predatory doesn't mean that someone is literally physically forced, in most cases.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 3, 2024 4:17PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »
    So does anyone remember a few years back, when you could see your own (and other's) non-combat pets while talking to NPCs? So you could end up in a situation with somebody's dragon imp flapping in the face of the NPC you were talking to?

And then they changed it in an update a while back so that these pets disappear when you talk to someone?

Well. I recently learned first hand that RECALL animations do not disappear when you're talking to an NPC.

I was talking to an NPC, trying to listen to them, when all the sudden I could no longer see the NPC. A field of PURPLE completely obscured and enveloped the NPC as somebody else was using the new recall animation near us. This was while I was actually in the dialogue menu.

I'm really sorry, but this is far more distracting and intrusive than any dragon imp flapping in the background ever was. It is my hope that ZOS might consider making it so that recall animation effects also disappear when talking to NPCs, as I can see this potentially being used to troll people doing story and stuff.

They should frankly make these cosmetics only visible for the user. Aren't the harvesting customized actions already only visible to the user? Don't understand why these which are far worse are not.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. That's awful! I haven't had that happen (so far....) but what a serious problem! These should be "visual user only" for sure.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That new Argonian outfit is different and neat, but as with every skirt/dress/robe in this game, it falls to the ground dragging thru the muck, deforming erratically when we walk/run.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    That new Argonian outfit is different and neat, but as with every skirt/dress/robe in this game, it falls to the ground dragging thru the muck, deforming erratically when we walk/run.

It also gives the male character a top too, like the Timbercrow one. Why can't they be barechested.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It also gives the male character a top too, like the Timbercrow one. Why can't they be barechested.

True equality would let the Female characters go bare chested as well.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True equality would let the Female characters go bare chested as well.

But then we would see the painted on bras, because modern society has deemed female *** inappropriate. Which gets kinda ironic on a costume that's said to be from argonians, who don't have ***.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the word is censored.
  • Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the mounts! The Ornaug reminds me of an asian dragon, especially with the water effects. Only gripe I have about it is the static orbs, which I'd personally have preferred be orbiting the mount and phasing in/out of view like other radiant apex mounts of prior crate seasons.

I also LOVE the "potions peddler" emote due to it's not-so-subtle humor. Again, the team making these emotes have such a great sense of humor and I always love the jokes they play in most emotes.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »
    I had very low hope for the recall, ready for a disappointment but... I LOVE IT! I'm already spamming it ahahah

...and ZOS is encouraging this behavior while people suffer headaches and eye strain.

There is video options choice to limit other players effects. Have you tried that?
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SkaiFaith wrote: »
    I had very low hope for the recall, ready for a disappointment but... I LOVE IT! I'm already spamming it ahahah

There is video options choice to limit other players effects. Have you tried that?

That setting hides combat skill effects like a group member's wall of elements.

I've had this setting turned on for years and I've always seen other players' mount effects, recalls, etc.

edit: I want to clarify that the setting is to show ally effects, and not to hide ally effects; so turning OFF hides ally effects, and ON shows ally effects.
    Just clarifying this so that my descriptions aren't confusing or inaccurate sounding--so my setting has been turned OFF for years.

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on April 9, 2024 1:53PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • ZoeliTintanie
    ZoeliTintanie
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say, I love the items in the crates, bought the 8k crowns worth of crates, got so many doubles that I ended up with 200 Gems.

Atleast I got the recall :| Is there something that can be implemented to atleast guarantee a higher rarity drop from the crates if we purchase the big bundles? I feel a bit cheated out of 8k crowns. I apologize if this sounds complaintative.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say, I love the items in the crates, bought the 8k crowns worth of crates, got so many doubles that I ended up with 200 Gems.

Atleast I got the recall :| Is there something that can be implemented to atleast guarantee a higher rarity drop from the crates if we purchase the big bundles? I feel a bit cheated out of 8k crowns. I apologize if this sounds complaintative.

No, not really. It's basically "you pay the going rate, and if you get great stuff you're a very lucky player".

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ZOS is encouraging people to have fun playing the game, yes. That is what character customization is for. Having fun playing the game. I know you enjoy character customization as well. And you should. It's fun. And in a multi-player game, you have to tolerate other people having fun in ways you don't.

Eye strain and headaches are problems for you to solve, not the community.

Thats why there's often settings for motion sickness and stuff in games now, right?

BTW, it's not solvable. Migraine triggers aren't. The solution is to not play the game. I too, would prefer if they'd tone it down, mostly for lore immersion reasons, but they won't because too many people like obnoxious, be it obnoxious things or behavior.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, is the blinding pink recall ball from these crates? I hate it with the passion of a thousand suns - or just one blinding pink ball. Seriously, I usually don't mind flashiness in ESO (like the Meridian Charger), but this particular recall visual is really way too bright and too intrusive.

This is the first time I'm saying this, but I now agree with those who say that extremely bright and flashy animations should either be dialled down or visible only to the player.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can someone please make showcase video of Altered Ornaug mount, how it roars and moves afterwards? I've seen few people with it in game, but they didn't show off the roaring animation :/ And there's nothing on Youtube yet, I check every day :D

It has simple Ornaug voice (not altered at all :'( ) and mild misty trail by default. I wonder if it gains something more after roaring:

https://youtu.be/v_hETvNMd2Q