Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 9.3.4 is available.

Tormentor Set

Cooperharley
Cooperharley
✭✭✭✭✭
While this set may have "functioned against one of their core philosophies of tanking in ESO" (I.e ZOS not wanting an AOE taunt in the game), it actually opened up a very fun avenue of gameplay for tanks, specifically templar tanks, which have historically been underplayed & have under-performed for the last 10 years or so. This set was never used as "META" and was never used as a means to surpass or cheese mechanics. All this change did was remove a very functional & accessible way to tank for beginner & intermediate tanks.

This change is extremely out-of-touch in my opinion.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on January 30, 2024 12:43AM
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's about the PTS.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy it's dead. It creates bad habits.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    Maybe the spaghetti code and the proposed graphical taunt changes didn't get along? A dev looked in the available resources fund, found 3 dollars fifty, some string and a red-7 uno card, and just went 'scrap it'?
    That actually seems plausible. More of an explanation than an excuse, if true. I personally have no idea what the taunt changes are about, or why they would be necessary, yet. If ZOS were worried about console, all they really needed was implement the Untaunted addon for console, as far as I'm concerned.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as someone who usually doesn’t tank, I guess I need to find another relatively idiot-proof set for my Warden. 😕
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I very begrudgingly agree with the developers on this one.

Tanking is 99% of what I do in this game. And of late I’ve spent more time on my templar tank than my dragon knight tank. I use tormentors for the aoe taunt. I loved it dearly. I say all this to highlight the extraordinary nature of my agreeing with the nerf, because this one hits me directly.

All you Templars who use this set know as well as I do: this set with explosive charge was reficulously over powered. The broader eso player base failing to notice how OP it was does not change that. Templars are wrongly written off as inrellivant when it comes to tanking. This is a huge mistake because they are incredible. They are written off because they don’t buff dps as much. As result this amazing combo flew under the radar. But all of you who are upset know that I’m, right. This combo enabled us to do things that are simply outside the scope of this game otherwise.

I hate the nerf. But they are right.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play as you'd like except if you want to tank as a werewolf.

Seems a silly change to me. It's not like the the set is a good idea for anything but fun runs. On easy content you get better buffs with other sets on and with hard content if you pull it all at once you end up a smoking spot on the floor before the healer can wave their resto staff.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as someone who usually doesn’t tank, I guess I need to find another relatively idiot-proof set for my Warden. 😕

For easy newb tanking I can recommend hatchlings shell, permafrost and bear ulti never using the swipe. Put CP into the damage shield bonuses, dodge rolling under damage shield (as you've always got one) and into the heal based on ultimate you currently have. Eat a sensible food choice and you can take a coffee break whilst standing in trash because your self heal is crazy even if they get through the damage shield. Monster helm to taste 8)

It doesn't work in PvP because the heals are nerfed there and also because there's eventually someone smart enough to have oblivion damage to deal with trolltanks.

It's also not good for serious stuff as you are not buffing anyone but it sure works well for PUG runs and even tanking dragons.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can be op in ways other than damage. My templar can currently, with a single skill, have 100% aggro the entire fight and survive it with no healer. And I’m talking about vet DLC dungeons. Consider HM moon hunter keep with adds crucial for you to grab. One button. I win.

But to the key is the vision for the game itself. They don’t want the tank able to control every creature every fight. They want that to be an extremely engaging goal. They want DDs to have to notice the minor threats engaging them and react. They want to avoid dungeons merely being going through your rotation. That is THEIR vision for the game. Tormentor single handily departs from that vision. If you think complete aggro dominance is not immensely beneficial to a dungeon group then we are living in two different worlds.

The problem is OP is being reduced to nothing more than trials or a DPS parse.

If you think like that of course you won’t see my point, or theirs.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can be op in ways other than damage. My templar can currently, with a single skill, have 100% aggro the entire fight and survive it with no healer. And I’m talking about vet DLC dungeons. Consider HM moon hunter keep with adds crucial for you to grab. One button. I win.

But to the key is the vision for the game itself. They don’t want the tank able to control every creature every fight. They want that to be an extremely engaging goal. They want DDs to have to notice the minor threats engaging them and react. They want to avoid dungeons merely being going through your rotation. That is THEIR vision for the game. Tormentor single handily departs from that vision. If you think complete aggro dominance is not immensely beneficial to a dungeon group then we are living in two different worlds.

The minor threats often do not hit hard enough to matter, assuming that they’re even alive more than a couple seconds. Tormentor is a 5pc set, by wearing it you’re not helping the group with damage and generally damage IS the strongest way to deal with things.

MHK HM I don’t taunt the werewolves but they come at me anyways… which is bad? They’re more dangerous to a tank than anyone else (already a lot going on between the boss, wolves, fears…). If I need to, I use time stop. The only fights in the entire game I can think of as tormentor being a particularly good idea is BC2 HM and DoM orb boss.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • UNSeki
    UNSeki
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they embraced the functionality and established a limit to how many targets be taunted by any single usage of a skill (probably 6, as is the standard for most AoE sets). They could also increase the cost of AoE skills that fit the set's description while the set is equipped. This way a tank would have to spend extra resources and time to taunt a full room, with safety risks.

Even if you could aggro an entire room and survive all by yourself as you said, this shouldn't be that surprising as this game has always allowed players to solo HM content.

As I said, they could easily limit the power of the set if they wanted, rather than completely eliminate the functionality. And/or limit tank's survivability without a healer, since removing the AoE taunt in Tormentor doesn't have any impact in that completely different issue.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If their vision for tanking is the correct one is a different conversation. But it is objectively true that this set departs from it.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keystroke wrote: »

This doesn’t make any sense. If you were a veteran player, or ever spoken to one about this set, all of them will tell you 1000% you do NOT need an AOE taunt in this game. It’s been designed around that not being available and so tanks are given other better tools, like control abilities to immobilize adds (something Templar is lacking in BTW). DK talons has the same “one button I win” disposition from your statement, it even gives minor maim AND a synergy.

This change hurts the fun of Templar and werewolf tanking for nothing but lip service to an empty statement from devs about “core philosophy”. Their core philosophy should be for the fun of the game. This is like the same language they used when they were changing the dot timers around for no reason a year or two ago. The reality is they don’t have a solid philosophical vision for the game that they can execute on.

YOUR statement is making no sense. Explain how these ideas make sense

1. Tormentor STILL single target taunts. (Objective fact about the nerf).
    2. Therefore werewolves can still use it to taunt (objective fact).
    3. Group taunts are not necessary (your words)
    4. Werewolf tanking is being ruined by this (your arguement).

Please explain to me how aoe taunts are irrelevant, and yet now werewolves are ruibed when they are only loosing aoe taunts and can still single target taunt.

And also I’ve been tanking for nearly a decade in this game and my main the last year has been a templar wearing tormentors. I’m ok with my own assessment of it rather than asking other tanks.