Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Real sour taste in my mouth..

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind that they are down, but the almost non existent communication from devs since launch in pretty disheartening.

A little honey goes a long way.
    The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
    Options
  • gamesub17_ESO42
    This is what a failed launch looks like.
    Options
  • Wyattbw09
    Wyattbw09

Correction this is what a normal launch looks like.

Options
  • eugeneb14_ESO
    Welcome to the world of MMO launches
    Options
  • ferikz
    ferikz
    Dude, get a f*** life, that way you can stop worrying about maintenance for a bit
    Options
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    was the server up at any point between 2am (last time i checked) and now? Because it`s down again, or still.

I am a developer too, in client-server software (not games unfortunately) and yes the complexity involved is mind boggling. Just look at the for hire section to see the countless people it takes to make a beast of this size run smoothly. So unexpected bugs are normal. To have banks overwritten is certainly a big one though, considering how complex sql updates can be O.o
    Edited by lioslinn on April 2, 2014 3:00PM
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
    Options
  • Kaspar
    Kaspar
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Server Downtime... It's Community Building Exercises...
    Options
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    lioslinn wrote: »
    To have banks overwritten is certainly a big one though, considering how complex sql updates can be O.o
    I suspect people were being linked to the wrong banks/mail, which many haven't started using yet, which is why they were often encountering empty unupgraded banks, or getting welcome mails again with items attached.
    Options
  • KidKablam
    KidKablam
    ✭✭✭
    To the original poster, I have a solution:

Get up and put on a kettle. When you hear the characteristic whistle of the kettle pour the water into a big old mug of tea. Breath in the delightful smell as your tea is infused. Isn't that nice? Find a comfortable spot and read a book.

Take some time to think about the little things in life. Go outside and observe how Spring is really a time of beautiful changes. See the puddles left over from Winter's snow and daydream about that water's wondrous centuries-long journey through the seasons of our planet.

Options
  • MrSalty
    MrSalty
    ✭✭
    KidKablam wrote: »
    To the original poster, I have a solution:

Get up and put on a kettle. When you hear the characteristic whistle of the kettle pour the water into a big old mug of tea. Breath in the delightful smell as your tea is infused. Isn't that nice? Find a comfortable spot and read a book.

Take some time to think about the little things in life. Go outside and observe how Spring is really a time of beautiful changes. See the puddles left over from Winter's snow and daydream about that water's wondrous centuries-long journey through the seasons of our planet.

Leveling up IRL is too slow
    Options
  • lioslinn
    lioslinn
    ✭✭✭
    someone at zenimax must be sweating bullets. Ive had whole company servers go down unexpectedly during a go live (by far the most stressful days of my life =p) and to have hundreds of irate people waiting on you to fix it... as I said, nerve wracking.

of course this is just a game. but dang it i just got the baby to sleep, time to be l33t!
    reality.sys corrupted-reboot universe [y/n] _
    Options
  • Undergoose
    Wyattbw09 wrote: »
    Undergoose wrote: »
    psychounz wrote: »
    ...It's just a game, boys.

No, it's an $80.00 product that I bought.

Go buy a new 'copy' of a Monopoly board game at Walmart. Open it up and find out they left out all the $5 bills. Darts with only two darts. Kites with no strings. Legos that don't stick together.

Would you want a refund? It's just a game, boyo.

What if every time a new board game came out the first run always had problems like pieces were missing or instructions never got packed exc exc. This happens every time a new board game comes out no matter who makes or how much it costs.

Hopefully the lesson would be that if you can't handle those first run problems you should want to buy your game until they resolve all the issues, because that new hot game coming out is going to have the same problems that every game that came out before it had.

Not sure why people think that ESO is going to be a special snowflake in this regard. MMO launches are always buggy, always have emergency maintenance and downtime and always have problems. Why anyone chooses to buy a product in which they know that is going to happen and then rage about it is something I'll never understand.

I'm not raging about anything. Yet. Nor am I 'unable to handle' the launch bugs. My point is that if a company wants to risk launching something that is 'broken', then they need to be 'able to handle' the repercussions and damage to their reputation when their product incites consumer dissatisfaction. Pushing the 'fault' onto the consumer for being excited, then disappointed, about a failed launch is just ridiculous.

Like I said, I'm withholding my 'rage' until I see whether or not my game comes with everything advertised on the box. $80 is an ambitious price, but one I'm happy to pay for a quality product.

As for 'early access', it's nothing more than the added benefit of being able to build and keep a beta character while the noobs are running around and killing rats on launch day.

And seriously, don't presume to coach me in your silly 'lesson' analogy, which is bunk. While you may enjoy blindly buying into a product that doesn't deliver, it has nothing to do with the actual success of a launch. When it hits the shelves, it should be 'done', otherwise the company just looks bad. I've been developing and launching large software for a couple of decades now, and know something about the 'lessons' that you think you know. Just because a bunch of previous companies have compromised their ethics and reputation by shipping on time instead of pushing the schedule doesn't make it acceptable for all companies to follow that business model if they want to be perceived as a real gaming company like Blizzard and Valve *used to be*.

With all that being said, the game has been a blast, and I look forward to not worrying about any of this on Friday, as I'm sure that the launch build will have addressed all of the show stoppers.

Edited by Undergoose on April 2, 2014 3:17PM
    Options
  • missmew
    missmew
    Let NA play on EU server till it fixed? ,3
    Options
  • Decimus_Rex
    Decimus_Rex
    ✭✭✭
    fvanvliet wrote: »
    I'm getting a real sour taste in my mouth.
    I have played the entire elder scrolls series and enjoy it tremendously i replay them every now and then so one could imagine i was extremely excited to be picked for beta and after playing a couple of times i preordered in the hope that bethesda would (like they always do) deliver a solid product and gaming experience.
    Yet now we get disillusioned with the fact that the server gets brought down for hours on end , it wend down arround midnite edt it has now been down for about 7 hours , one would expect that the issue would be resolved but this appears not to be the case :(
    It is disapointing to say the least to shell out 80 dollars for the emperial edition to get 5 days early access only to be greeted by "server is down" messages , it makes me question my own judgement and might in the future impact my decision to preorder games.

Oh Boy!

I remember my very first launch..

Most of us know that this is beta 2.0 and it will go on for about another 2 or 3 months until the game is really ready for public consumption.

Just think of all the stories you can tell the newbies coming to the game after you.

You will be able to say things like

"Kid you aint seen sheet like when this game first released and I had to put up with the servers not running 24/7"

"DOOD ! You should have seen all the bugs this game had when I played it at release"

OR

The sense of pride you will feel when you get that free bag of ULTIMATE CRAP HOLDING that not many other people have for being such a brave lad and suffering such great anguish.

AND !

Now most of all !

You have joined the exclusive club of early access and day oners.

GRATZ!

And I give you your first purple heart for the grievous wounds that you received.

You would have gotten the Medal of Honor if you were in beta & early release of Vanguard if you think this is bad.

Up hills both ways sonny
    Options
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've posted why it is down, they posted what they are doing to fix it, and they've said they are sorry and trying to get things working ASAP.

But... you know...
    07a24058476fe03457820e877e3595a83cd1ad8b31431a2161f7de8871877e30.jpg
    Options
  • Santiago
    Santiago
    ✭✭
    Asava wrote: »
    That doesn't make it acceptable for companies to release an unfinished game to the public. It's 2014, technology is there to make hot fixes without bringing down servers. Gaming companies are getting worse and worse when it comes to standards and we gamers just take it up the arse. It does get old after awhile.

What are you talking about? Unfinished game? What is unfinished about it? It's really annoying (and too commonplace) hearing people make these bogus flames when they don't know what they are talking about.

First off there's no indication that the game is "unfinished". Certainly there are bugs... do you realize how complex the creation of this game was? I doubt you have ANY clue. Secondly the maintenance is to fix a very serious bug (if assumptions are correct) and these things happen.

If anything I think it's reasonable to be upset about the length of time it's taking without any posts stating ANY estimate. That is completely inexcusable, imo, because all it does is waste the time of thousands of customers who end up checking over and over for the servers to be up.

But as for the game and it's launch this has so far been one of the smoothest pre-order launches I've seen and I've seen plenty over the last 15+ years.
    Options
  • Undergoose

Correction: None of us have seen the launch yet. Supposition on either side right now is merely that; supposition. No one should be posting a committed stance regarding the launch at this point.

Congrats on that low bar setting you have, though. Must make your life very shiny and happy.

Options
  • Wyattbw09
    Wyattbw09

Correction: None of us have seen the launch yet. Supposition on either side right now is merely that; supposition. No one should be posting a committed stance regarding the launch at this point.

Congrats on that low bar setting you have, though. Must make your life very shiny and happy.

Yeah, you are definitely not raging. As someone else pointed out, its only a game and only a few days old. Try and take a deep breath and relax, the game will be up soon enough.
    Options
  • Undergoose
    fvanvliet wrote: »
    I'm getting a real sour taste in my mouth.
    I have played the entire elder scrolls series and enjoy it tremendously i replay them every now and then so one could imagine i was extremely excited to be picked for beta and after playing a couple of times i preordered in the hope that bethesda would (like they always do) deliver a solid product and gaming experience.
    Yet now we get disillusioned with the fact that the server gets brought down for hours on end , it wend down arround midnite edt it has now been down for about 7 hours , one would expect that the issue would be resolved but this appears not to be the case :(
    It is disapointing to say the least to shell out 80 dollars for the emperial edition to get 5 days early access only to be greeted by "server is down" messages , it makes me question my own judgement and might in the future impact my decision to preorder games.

Oh Boy!

I remember my very first launch..

Most of us know that this is beta 2.0 and it will go on for about another 2 or 3 months until the game is really ready for public consumption.

Just think of all the stories you can tell the newbies coming to the game after you.

You will be able to say things like

"Kid you aint seen sheet like when this game first released and I had to put up with the servers not running 24/7"

"DOOD ! You should have seen all the bugs this game had when I played it at release"

OR

The sense of pride you will feel when you get that free bag of ULTIMATE CRAP HOLDING that not many other people have for being such a brave lad and suffering such great anguish.

AND !

Now most of all !

You have joined the exclusive club of early access and day oners.

GRATZ!

And I give you your first purple heart for the grievous wounds that you received.

You would have gotten the Medal of Honor if you were in beta & early release of Vanguard if you think this is bad.

Up hills both ways sonny

LOL! While this was humorous to read and hits home in many ways, it's also a very snarky and leetkid response to a well thought out and delivered post. EDIT: erm...aside from the misspelling of "Imperial", which sort of made my teeth grow fur... :smiley:

I'm going to enjoy making your PVP respawn runs numerous and lengthy, kiddo. :wink:

Edited by Undergoose on April 2, 2014 3:37PM
    Options
  • Perseas
    Perseas
    ✭✭✭
    imagine if a gold seller accidently enters an account and all his/her gold transfer into ur bank.. lol paradise.
    Options
  • iKandiman
    iKandiman
    MMOs have bugs, and that's a given. Launches of new MMOs, however have the advantage of NOT repeating the same mistakes other MMOs that have gone before. To enable a better user experience, and better customer satisfaction with a robust Help system and account maintenance would have been paramount, rather than foist it off to the community. Communication, given promptly and with an acknowledgment instead of a cookie cutter response template hours or even a day later, gives the player-customer a sense that the developers care. Sadly, a lot of us have not had that pleasure. Bugs/glitches aside, you can have the prettiest and coolest looking MMO on the street with an already established fan base, but if you can't back it up with the back office infrastructure you are doomed to failure.

It's like walking into a store- there is a quantitative difference between walking into an Apple, VS or another store of it's like and immediately getting engaged as opposed to wandering around Abercrombie and Fitch for fifteen minutes while snotty hipsters give you the stink eye while folding sweaters. Acknowledge, acknowledge,acknowledge.

A lot of us have felt ignored, not just for niggling little annoying glitches- that's expected. What I am talking about is major account/login issues, being shut out of a game we were promised to have early vip access to.

Here's what you do, instead of stonewalling the user- pre-build a live chat app into your website if you can't give the user an 800 number (I have yet to figure out why ZOS does not have this) Have it ready to roll out the day of launch,if possible.
    -build a free authenticator app to dl for Driods and iPhones, hell even make a few bucks with encryption key authenticators-people will buy them for peace of mind. Knowing that a gold spammer/account hacker has to go through 128 bit encryption makes a lot of us rest easier in games like Wow and Rift et al.
    just my two bits.
    /rant
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best part was those quest bugs.

The ones we reported last year in beta.
    Options
  • Undergoose

Yeah, you are definitely not raging. As someone else pointed out, its only a game and only a few days old. Try and take a deep breath and relax, the game will be up soon enough.

LOL...I'm not worried about the server being up or down right now, but thanks for another great tip, coach! :wink:

As for OUR little exchange, sorry I ruffled your feathers by not agreeing with your opinions, it wasn't my intention to excite you. Obviously I'm not raging, although that is what you are reading into my posts. That's the joy of a community. We both get to attend opposing schools of thought. Hopefully the lesson here for you is that two people can disagree without becoming emotionally invested.

As I pointed out, the game isn't even one day old, so I have no expectations or emotion today, nor should anyone.
    Options
  • Rdrgnslyr
    Rdrgnslyr
    Let's try this...name an MMO in MMO history, that had Zero bugs at launch/early access, and their servers were never taken down for any kind of maintenance? If you can name one, then your argument against Zenimax taking the NA server down is valid.

Let's try this... Name a game that charged $20 extra for "early access"... That you can't get onto... because they didn't fix their issues in the Beta stage!???

Then... When you're done naming games that you paid extra for... and didn't get... send me $20! Since you're ok with spending money for nothing!

Options
  • pjrichert_ESO
    This is completely understandable. Your so right. I'll turn my P.C. off for a week or so and then hope to play for five minutes if I can even log in. Pretty please Zenimax will you let me play your game here take this bag of money. FANBOY.

Wow, over reaction much? Nobody anywhere suggested that it would take a week to fix, and so far, when the game has been up, there have been no issues logging in. What *bag* of money? It's $100, and if that impacts a budget in a huge way, it's money that shouldn't be spent. The fact that people are being reasonable, instead of just flying off the handle and raging means they're fanboys?

I'm sure if the outage is of a truly significant length Zenimax will do something to compensate. Any other MMO that has had this type of downtime has done the same.

The nature of the bug is one that wasn't caught during beta testing, and because it impacted or had the capacity to impact people's accounts, especially for those people out there that would think nothing of robbing another player the best way to make sure no further damage was done was to shut down access till they could get it fixed. If it were just a quest problem, or npc spawn, or something of that nature, they would have been able to fix it in a test environment and then apply that hot fix. This is an odd bug, with more impact than that. If they're trying to suss out whose accounts had items switched around, it can be a pretty heavy spaghetti mess to try and figure out, and would require looking through a LOT of logs, which is both not fun, and time consuming, I've had to do that with databases with only 100's of people using it. I wouldn't want to even attempt it on a database with 1000's or more people attached.

I'm not advocating giving them a free pass on the matter, and it's right to expect recompense for a truly long outage, but at the same time, keep in mind what they're trying to fix, it's not as easy as many people seem to think. I think we're a little early for trying to storm the gates with torches and pitchforks just yet.
    Options
  • Spritehawk
    Spritehawk
    ✭✭
    I think we found the reason why its taking so long. Look at all the Jobs available under their Job page. Just kidding :wink:
    Options
  • fvanvliet
    fvanvliet
    ✭✭
    iKandiman wrote: »
    Here's what you do, instead of stonewalling the user- pre-build a live chat app into your website if you can't give the user an 800 number (I have yet to figure out why ZOS does not have this) Have it ready to roll out the day of launch,if possible.
    -build a free authenticator app to dl for Driods and iPhones, hell even make a few bucks with encryption key authenticators-people will buy them for peace of mind. Knowing that a gold spammer/account hacker has to go through 128 bit encryption makes a lot of us rest easier in games like Wow and Rift et al.
    just my two bits.
    /rant

that authenticator is not needed try logging in from a different ip adress and u will notice that eso tells u that this machine is unknown and it sends u a code to input into the game to your email .. so that hacker has to get access to your email and your game account . good luck

Options
  • fvanvliet
    fvanvliet
    ✭✭
    they allready posted patch notes and from it u can gather they allready fixed some nasty bugs
    Options
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    Milk or a soda cracker should help.
    Options
  • pjrichert_ESO
    Here would be a great gift for the downtime....100 slot bag!
    Options