Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Veteran may be a bit too harsh

• frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lagoz wrote: »
    You know what's worse than content-gating.

Content-gating without actually admitting they are doing it.

ZOS reply ASAP.

I like that you feel your comment deserves an immediate response to an allegation you have no proof of.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you think Veteran content and leveling is harsh, try increasing your Veteran level without being in the Veteran zones. I grinded mobs from level 38-50 after hearing horrible things about the Veteran content ranging from the difficulty to the poor XP from mobs. Let me tell you, there is a whole other set of problems if you do this.

First off, the only way to level up VR ranks in the non-VR zones is either via massive amounts of questing or massive amounts of PVP involving flipping every resource and keep multiple times, provided you have the appropriate battle board quests to accompany them. You do not receive VP for clearing dungeons or skull bosses or dark anchors or mobs, not even in Cyrodiil.

And when I said massive numbers of quests, I meant massive numbers. You need 456,000 VP to go from VR1 to VR2 and then 912,000 VP to go from VR2 to VR3. Non-VR zone quests were giving me around 1K VP each at VR1 and around 2K each at VR2 so it's proportional but it is a far cry from the several thousand VP you receive for a single VR quest let alone the tens of thousands of VP you receive from skull bosses and dark anchors in the VR zones. In the non-VR zones, the icon clearing quests that change map icons from black to white would offer up 1.5K and 3K each respectively for the first two VR levels. I leveled from VR1 to VR2 almost exclusively from the city, war board and Fighters Guild quests in Cyrodiil. This took me almost 10 days and a serious amount of time as I was averaging about 45K VP per day in quest points so about 45 quests a day.

Once I hit VR2, I went back to Eastmarch to finish the last half a dozen quests there and then on to The Rift and all of the quests there. Even with completing those 70 or so quests, I will only be around 25% towards VR3 as I have about 10 or so quests left to finish in The Rift and I am sitting around 180K VP right now. I will be lucky to reach the half way mark between VR2 and VR3 once I complete Coldharbour and Molag Bal.

I am just about ready to abandon my goal of hitting VR3 before reaching the first VR zone as I would need several days of questing in Cyrodiil to meet this goal and the time sink is simply not worth it. Fortunately I now have all 46 of the Cyrodiil Skyshards and my two-a-day packages from my hirelings are allowing me to craft some nice weapons and armor.
  • jespernohr
    Everquest started to die when SOE removed Hell Levels. So I really hope that Zenimax isn't removing the "Hell Level" feel in Veteran levels.

Getting a Veteran level will feel like an achievement and not just another cookie showed down your throat, as certain other games do.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Menacer wrote: »
    LonePirate wrote: »

Why would you not be able to grind the dungeons in the Veteran ranked zones? You can do so in the 1-50 zones so why would the rules change for Veteran content?

I don't the game was ever intended to be an easy slog or rush to VR10. We may not all agree with that decision and whether it is good or bad. However, if it is indeed as difficult as PTS players stated before the game went live, then that should please the throngs of supposedly hardcore players who repeatedly claimed the game was too easy based on watching some videos or playing in one of the Beta weekends. A game's difficulty can be measured in time and not by the scaling of the enemies; but I'm guessing some of the hardcore players do not like time based difficulty hurdles like this one. If the Craglorn zone has a VR10 entry requirement, there certainly will be no rush for ZOS to release it as not many people will hit VR10 in the next several weeks.

Not only that, but this is not a game designed to be completed in 50-100 hours like standard games. This game was constructed with the intent of giving players several hundred hours of content. One way that is accomplished is by increasing the difficulty and leveling requirements. I am sorry that some people do not like to level via quests. If there is an aspect of the game you do not like or you want changed, you can always provide your opinion via the /feedback option in the game or voice your opinions in threads here or on Reddit where ZOS seems to patrol regularly.

My response is to your first paragraph.

You ask why would it change, you should be able to grind the dungeons and stuff. Well why did they change the mob experience gain? At level 37 I am getting 150-200 per mob kill. In VR1 you get 47? Why did they change that? So my assumption (I know what that means) is they nerfed the fudge out of mob exp in VR dungeons (meaning I only need to kill 9000 mobs at 47 exp a pop to level, meaning no you cannot grind) as well. I could be wrong, but doubt it.

Menacer

They nerfed it cause players were getting to V10 in 1 to 3 days. Yeah you can play any way you want as long as you realize the game is on rails as far as how you want to level.

I really don't care how long it takes others to level just as long as they have a good time doing it. There will always be players who take days off from work and play 24 hours a day till they reach max. If that's what they enjoy good of them. I just don't like nerfing the hell out of everything which ends up making it harder for the average player to enjoy the game. Playing quests which give very low or zero xp is not cool as xp is part of the MMO's reward system.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Griefer wrote: »
    Just a thought, and this might just be me, but after reading the posts, it seems that people are just looking at the Veteran ranks as additional levels. And they want to power through these just as if they were leveling. If this was the case, and the exp curve needed to be kept in line with the rest of the levels, then they would have just made the game be levels 1 - 60.

The longer and harder they make it, the more of an achievement it will feel like for each one obtained. People will complain about it, people complain about everything, this is a universal truth, but there will also be the satisfaction of getting it earned.

Its just time and effort. With these two things, veteran ranks are available to every player, and its up to the player as to how fast they would like to earn them. And if you don't want to put any time or effort in, then obviously you don't get anything out of it.

I for one, hope people chose not to take advantage of the Veteran ranks, and opt to just be lazy because they are too hard. Each one of these people will be easy targets in pvp... not that they weren't already..

-Grief.

Well you got your wish with me. I'm done at V1 and I pvp in few games. I'll explore if I decide to stay. But these bugs are killing it for me.
  • gcalex5
    gcalex5
    ✭✭✭
    Just spent 2.5 hours and got roughly 56k xp which is roughly 12% of what I need for VR2....seems legit...took me 96 hours to get through Ebonheart so what's another 192 hours to get through the other two, to try out Craglorn(which I really want to do but they are making it really hard to motivate me to get through content at this rate)

And the thing is I would LOVE to play all the content and I would do it at MY OWN pace and enjoy it but I feel like I'm being forced to rush through the content since the wealth of it is so massive to get done with it all before Craglorn is released.

That's my grammatically incorrect butcher the english language version of my rant on this topic.

TL;DR would love to play through content slowly but feel rushed to get through all of it and it makes it feel unbelievably slow and miserable with the amount of XP earned per quest/mob kill...cap me out at VR10 in the first zone and let me *** around in the third at my own pace with only skyshards/achievements to keep me going
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well in 1.1 its on the list to increase VR leveled XP content so just pvp and wait!
  • gcalex5
    gcalex5
    ✭✭✭
    Well in 1.1 its on the list to increase VR leveled XP content so just pvp and wait!

Went over to the psjiic thread and saw the patch notes and did a little happy dance. But I hope that gets rolled into a patch sooner than 1.1

• guterreeb17_ESO
    gcalex5 wrote: »

Went over to the psjiic thread and saw the patch notes and did a little happy dance. But I hope that gets rolled into a patch sooner than 1.1

hate to be that guy... but double of 42 is 84 in a pool of millions required to lvl, 84 isn't exactly helping much

• gcalex5
    gcalex5
    ✭✭✭

hate to be that guy... but double of 42 is 84 in a pool of millions required to lvl, 84 isn't exactly helping much

I'm just trying to be optimistic when they said more then doubled taking it to be a tad more and actually have it be a meaningful amount of XP instead of continuing my game of dodge mob, intimidate/persuade npc, get next quest, rinse repeat 5000 times so just maybe by late june early july I to can enjoy craglorn without taking advantage of any exploits people may have found
  • guterreeb17_ESO
    so I guess i'm not the only one that goes out of my way to avoid mobs because they actualy slow you down lvling
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    so I guess i'm not the only one that goes out of my way to avoid mobs because they actualy slow you down lvling

As well as wreck your armor and leaving you with a 1k to 2k repair bill.

• nalimoleb14_ESO
    nalimoleb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    As someone who likes to experience all content in a game with one character (I create alts but just end up using them for RP purposes), I like that all of Tamriel opens up for you to explore on any character, but I agree - the exp. requirement starting at VR1 is ridiiiiiculous. Sure, I love taking my time and reading all the quests and immersing myself in the new regions, but the fact that my exp. bar is moving about .0000000001% of an inch with each quest I complete is a bit of a downer. I don't even think that killing same-level mobs is having an effect on my experience bar; only turning in quests seems to be.

Can anyone confirm this? Only completing quests earns experience points, not killing random mobs even in veteran level zones?
  • jimdove
    jimdove
    ✭✭
    I don't have an issue with the amount of xp given at VR ranks I have an issue with how you have to do it to earn exp. Questing, more questing, after 50 levels of literally hundreds of quests, at LEAST let us get VR points at a steady pace via other means, weather it be aoe grinding, PVP etc.. VR ranks seem to be for the completionist, which is fine but I really wanted to do all the other faction quests and storys with an alt. At this rate I will have little to no desire to roll an alt, which for an mmo, is a shame.

As it stands by the time we have hit VR10, we will have 1 character that has pretty much done every single quest in all 3 realms as well as all the little viewpoints/dungeons/ side quests. then what? No need AT ALL to roll an alt as we have experienced everything with 1 character. I cannot see anybody wanting to do the same thousand quests again with another character.

EDIT: the only thing "hard" about VR areas is not falling asleep/tabbing out and watching funny cat videos due to extreme boredom of "go here, kill this, come back, go over there, then come back again" no matter how good the storylines may be thousands of quests in a short space of time is not good for ones sanity.
    Edited by jimdove on May 18, 2014 2:57PM
  • jimdove
    jimdove
    ✭✭

we get decent VP in PVP? I would love to grind points there but the thing is, I canot defeat the infinite loading screen boss on my campaign (auriels bow) its always very very populated which clearly is causing players to get *** by this loading screen boss. I cannot get into PVP at all today. For the most part other days too