The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Castle Thorn is bugged

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
During the third boss, Vaduroth, you're supposed to be able to throw axes at the dead monsters hanging from the ceiling and spawn slimes! Super fun, awesome mechanic and my personal favorite... And now it seems to be broken. No slimes spawn during the boss fight, NOR will they spawn anymore from the axes laying around the dungeon leading up to Vaduroth. Sadness.

x70e8aahftfi.gif
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, its possible that during the final fight, the players weapon model can completely disappear!

7ii9q95pdp44.gif
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    Related sorta: Husband and I just ran Castle Thorn normal mode together, made it to "Grand Cathedral" door, and the door is greyed out. We can't finish the dungeon.

Edit: More details-- We didn't take the quest for the dungeon, but Gwendis is waiting in the Talfyg courtyard and we already completed her dialogue. Not sure why we needed to do the quest (despite these being characters that haven't completed it yet). We just wanted to test our new graphics cards and Castle Thorn was nearby.

Anyway, we'll just play the dungeon again another time. Just silly that you can't complete the dungeon unless you started the quest for a first-time character...
    Edited by Nihilr on September 29, 2023 7:08AM
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nihilr wrote: »
    Related sorta: Husband and I just ran Castle Thorn normal mode together, made it to "Grand Cathedral" door, and the door is greyed out. We can't finish the dungeon.

Edit: More details-- We didn't take the quest for the dungeon, but Gwendis is waiting in the Talfyg courtyard and we already completed her dialogue. Not sure why we needed to do the quest (despite these being characters that haven't completed it yet). We just wanted to test our new graphics cards and Castle Thorn was nearby.

Anyway, we'll just play the dungeon again another time. Just silly that you can't complete the dungeon unless you started the quest for a first-time character...

That sounds like a bug that happens in other dungeons too, sadly. A door can fail to unlock due to an issue with the game not properly registering the death(s) of the mob(s) that are required to unlock it. Unfortunately, if the mobs are already dead and the game doesn’t recognize it, resetting the dungeon has been the only solution in my experience.

It used to happen to my dungeon team all the time, especially when I was running Plaguebreak and Occult Overload. In Dread Cellar I remember the “impossible” door in the alleyway with one of the side boss’s torches wouldn’t open a lot of the time too.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

That sounds like a bug that happens in other dungeons too, sadly. A door can fail to unlock due to an issue with the game not properly registering the death(s) of the mob(s) that are required to unlock it. Unfortunately, if the mobs are already dead and the game doesn’t recognize it, resetting the dungeon has been the only solution in my experience.

It used to happen to my dungeon team all the time, especially when I was running Plaguebreak and Occult Overload. In Dread Cellar I remember the “impossible” door in the alleyway with one of the side boss’s torches wouldn’t open a lot of the time too.

im pretty sure the issue there was definitely occult overload getting the killing blow on the last enemy, once they rebalanced occult and less people were running it/doing less dmg it seems to happen far less frequently lol

the issue ive still occasionally had in castle thorn was the aoe your supposed to stand in sometimes stop moving completely for you, but its still technically moving lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

im pretty sure the issue there was definitely occult overload getting the killing blow on the last enemy, once they rebalanced occult and less people were running it/doing less dmg it seems to happen far less frequently lol

the issue ive still occasionally had in castle thorn was the aoe your supposed to stand in sometimes stop moving completely for you, but its still technically moving lol

Yeah, CT still has its own unique problems for sure on top of the generic doors not opening. Maybe one day.

I wish they had been able to solve the issue with doors not opening rather than discouraging some of the tools that were causing it, since people are clearly still encountering the problem. It reminds me of how they changed the fear in Crypt of Hearts and Wayrest because they couldn’t get the physics and the environment to behave properly. We might be less likely to encounter the problem in those dungeons now, but we’re still getting stuck in keep ceilings thanks to Volcanic Rune…
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, CT still has its own unique problems for sure on top of the generic doors not opening. Maybe one day.

I wish they had been able to solve the issue with doors not opening rather than discouraging some of the tools that were causing it, since people are clearly still encountering the problem. It reminds me of how they changed the fear in Crypt of Hearts and Wayrest because they couldn’t get the physics and the environment to behave properly. We might be less likely to encounter the problem in those dungeons now, but we’re still getting stuck in keep ceilings thanks to Volcanic Rune…

i dont think occult overload was changed to fix those issues, it was nerfed because it was really OP in pvp lol

its still pretty much a go-to in pvp, its just not as overly potent as it used to be (12800 oblivion dmg was a lot, and there was no cooldown on the set at the time either, which is why we got the dmg nerfed and a 1 sec cooldown applied on the proc)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

i dont think occult overload was changed to fix those issues, it was nerfed because it was really OP in pvp lol

its still pretty much a go-to in pvp, its just not as overly potent as it used to be (12800 oblivion dmg was a lot, and there was no cooldown on the set at the time either, which is why we got the dmg nerfed and a 1 sec cooldown applied on the proc)

Yes, I used to use it regularly in both PvE and PvP. But I wasn't saying that the Occult Overload nerf was aimed primarily at fixing the door situation; rather, the consequential discouragement of Overload due to its change seems to have been considered enough of a "solution" to the door problem when it was not in fact a genuine solution. The change would have reduced the number of cases where doors failed to open, which in turn would have made the door issue less of an issue for ZOS, meaning there wasn't as much pressure to find an actual fix for the doors (hence why people are still running into it). Fear, likewise, and other forcible displacement abilities still cause problems with getting stuck in the environment. So even though the change to fear in dungeons was primarily aimed at reducing physics problems, the end result still resembles that of the door situation in that both situations are less likely to happen but both still do happen because the underlying problem still has not been fixed in either case.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still bugged as of 9.2.7

Slimes don't spawn, weapons models are invisible, and circles don't move around. Someone else in the group also reported that the Vaduroth boss was literally invisible for them the whole fight. Such a buggy dungeon.

0xuj2duvkdnt.gif
    Edited by Billium813 on December 10, 2023 7:20PM