Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Quest Status Bug

• tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poss wrote: »
    Just received this!

This is promising. Thank you for bringing this to us.

As long as this is fixable without them nuking my main, I can wait a bit for it. Yes, it's annoying - highly annoying - to see so many incomplete quests when I'm the kind of person who really wants to make sure I get all those bars filled, but in the grand scheme of things this isn't completely breaking my game. At least it's not like last year when my storage chests got deleted by a bizarre bug and I had to go about a month or so without most of my trial sets for my progs.

I'm betting there's an equally obscure bug that caused this, probably something like "you'll get bugged if the 97th Arcanist you killed had red hair and their name started with the letter 'M'" or something to that effect. I remember the storage chest bug from last year was caused by deleting a character who was below level 10 would cause the storage chests to be reset to empty, so I can see the cause of this being something we wouldn't expect.

Here's hoping the team can find the cause quickly and get the fix in soon. It's depressing to have to do writs on my main with fire and screams of terror instead of sun and Morrowind nostalgia music.
    Options
  • Shadeous
    Shadeous
    ✭✭
    Update on this, I started the necrom questline and I am now stuck on "Spirit of Fate" at the Go to Tel Baro Cavern stage when I get to the door there I get "You cannot use that door right now"
    Options
  • element0032
    element0032
    Soul Shriven
    Add me to the list of people affected by this bug. Only my main character seems to have the issues talked about like incorrect quest progression, zone progress like public dungeons reset, and unable to play tales of tribute. This is also the only character I spent time pvping on during the event. Whatever the issue is it also affects multiple progress tracking addons like Quest Map and Urich's Skill Point Finder.
    Options
  • Colue
    Colue
    well with this bug i cant complete the main quest line and got a response after 5 days of ring around the rosie that they are working on it
    Options
  • NotoriousBTK
    NotoriousBTK
    ✭✭✭
    I got a response too but they just say to delete my saved data to see if that fixes it. Has anyone else tried before I do this? I deleted it recently for another bug (which it didn’t fix) and I don’t really want to go through changing all of my option settings again if I don’t have to.
    Options
  • StrangeRain
    StrangeRain
    Soul Shriven
    Got same bug and now in Vivec city everyone screaming and ash dropping from sky. I believe it's environment trigger, whats looking on status of main quest (when comet falling), and that quest status broken now. Comet looks same as before btw.
    What is sad it happened on my main character.
    Options
  • MinaM
    MinaM
    Soul Shriven
    Same here, my main is bugged - must have happened between monday and tuesday.
    I haven't killed 100 arcanists yet, as I am not that much into PVP, but I was also in Cyrodiil during the event.

In response to my ticket I was told they were aware of the problem and they sent me a link that is supposed to keep me updated on the topic. URL looks like it should lead me to somewhere in the help section, but I'm not sure, as I just get an error 404.

Additional to the bugged quest progress and not being able to play ToT I noticed that fishing doesn't work any more on my main. Whenever I notice a biting fish and try to reel, no fish appears, neither in the right corner nor in my inventory...
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there goes that theory. Maybe... Is there something else we all did?

Anyway, I'm not having the fishing problem on my affected character, but I'm noticing that even the world states don't match what the maps show. I know people have been talking about Ladlow Menant showing back up at Tor Draioch ("Get away from me, stupid thing!"), but my Tor Draioch is actually flagged as complete. Yet he's still there for me.

I'm also noticing that any zone that I've completed is now showing loads of incompletes. But every zone I didn't touch (and this is my story character so I know what I have and haven't done) is flagging quests complete. It's not just Necrom, I'm also getting flags for the entire NElsweyr line and half of the SElsweyr, All of Murkmire except the second quest, and the initial quests in Hew's Bane and the Gold Coast.

One more thing I remember doing on Sunday which bugged out - I also finished and turned in the "Kill 20 Arcanists" quest. I just checked on PTS since that was copied the day before and I noticed that I was at 80 Arcanist kills and already at 6 on the Kill quest, but I distinctly remember on Sunday the achievement popping when I was at about 17 for the quest. I was grouped for a while so I guess the Achievement was counting group kills while the quest was not, but the quest seemed to turn in fine. I just didn't check to see exactly when the world states bugged out.

It does seem like everyone did go into Cyrodiil though - understandable since it was MYM. The only difference between that in normal times and now is the addition of Arcanists and the respective kill achievements and quests...

I put in a ticket that didn't say much, so I'm just replying back with all the information I have. I do hope we get word from @ZOS_Kevin or someone though. As long as my main's going to be restored without taking away the progress I have made since the bug or completely bricking the character, I'm fine with waiting. But I am about ready to see the sun and nostalgia-bait music in Vivec again.
    Options
  • Tyrobius
    Tyrobius
    ✭✭✭✭

Anyway, I'm not having the fishing problem on my affected character, but I'm noticing that even the world states don't match what the maps show. I know people have been talking about Ladlow Menant showing back up at Tor Draioch ("Get away from me, stupid thing!"), but my Tor Draioch is actually flagged as complete. Yet he's still there for me.

I'm also noticing that any zone that I've completed is now showing loads of incompletes. But every zone I didn't touch (and this is my story character so I know what I have and haven't done) is flagging quests complete. It's not just Necrom, I'm also getting flags for the entire NElsweyr line and half of the SElsweyr, All of Murkmire except the second quest, and the initial quests in Hew's Bane and the Gold Coast.

One more thing I remember doing on Sunday which bugged out - I also finished and turned in the "Kill 20 Arcanists" quest. I just checked on PTS since that was copied the day before and I noticed that I was at 80 Arcanist kills and already at 6 on the Kill quest, but I distinctly remember on Sunday the achievement popping when I was at about 17 for the quest. I was grouped for a while so I guess the Achievement was counting group kills while the quest was not, but the quest seemed to turn in fine. I just didn't check to see exactly when the world states bugged out.

It does seem like everyone did go into Cyrodiil though - understandable since it was MYM. The only difference between that in normal times and now is the addition of Arcanists and the respective kill achievements and quests...

I put in a ticket that didn't say much, so I'm just replying back with all the information I have. I do hope we get word from @ZOS_Kevin or someone though. As long as my main's going to be restored without taking away the progress I have made since the bug or completely bricking the character, I'm fine with waiting. But I am about ready to see the sun and nostalgia-bait music in Vivec again.

Maybe when they updated Cyrodiil quests to include the "Kill 20 Arcanists" and other new features added with Necrom, they accidentally used quest ids already in use in PVE zones. If they were trying to use new quest ids but used the new ones for Necrom PVE instead, this might also explain why everyone is having the bug affect their Necrom questline. For example if the Necrom Main quest was "QuestID999" then they also used that for "Kill 20 Arcanists". And since these quests are repeatable it could also cause other issues with progression since you might be changing quest stages frequently by completing multiple instances of the same quest.

I definitely completed Kill 20 Arcanists multiple times during this most recent MYM.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tyrobius wrote: »

Maybe when they updated Cyrodiil quests to include the "Kill 20 Arcanists" and other new features added with Necrom, they accidentally used quest ids already in use in PVE zones. If they were trying to use new quest ids but used the new ones for Necrom PVE instead, this might also explain why everyone is having the bug affect their Necrom questline. For example if the Necrom Main quest was "QuestID999" then they also used that for "Kill 20 Arcanists". And since these quests are repeatable it could also cause other issues with progression since you might be changing quest stages frequently by completing multiple instances of the same quest.

I definitely completed Kill 20 Arcanists multiple times during this most recent MYM.

Here's another question then - are we all on the same alliance? Is one of the version bugged, or is that even the source of the problem?

There have to be three versions of the "Kill 20 Arcanists" quest, because the quest text will talk about either Grand Warlord Zimmeron, Dortene, or Sorcalin.

I'm Pact. I'm bugged. And again, the only bugged character is the one who did that quest. I have other characters who went into Cyrodiil (granted, not for long), but they're all fine.

I tried looking in the UESP's log files, but I don't even see any 'Kill Arcanists' quests with Zimmeron. There are three versions of the Sorcalin one, though. I'm guessing that nobody's uploaded the Pact version since that is based on users putting in the time to upload data.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Cyrodil but it wasn't really a in and out of Cyrodil impact. It seemed more overnight after logging back in after playing the night before.

One thing maybe, I did create a new character. Used one of the new slots for an Arcanist. That was prior to the quest break issue. Anyone else create new characters before the quests broke on their others?
    Options
  • birdmann1230
    Didn’t do a new toon-I’m Daggerfall on most of my characters.
    Options
  • birdmann1230
    Fun fact-the crown store is showing that I have prologue quests to purchase as incomplete, when I have them all finished. I find this also interesting.
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fun fact-the crown store is showing that I have prologue quests to purchase as incomplete, when I have them all finished. I find this also interesting.

Hm, I just looked myself and I'm seeing the same. Several of the prologues I've done are available.

And the one prologue I haven't done is Necrom's, and that's not available...
    Options
  • dark_nick
    dark_nick
    I want THIS POST always at first places...............this is the answer after many unanswered tickets:

We are aware that some characters may experience issues with quest or zone progression. Content may also show as incomplete when it has been completed.

This will be resolved in a future update. If you would like to be notified when this article has been updated, log into the website and select "Subscribe to Article" at the bottom of this page.

I'd like to see any admin/officer write here
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin , sorry to bother, but is there anyone on the dev team who can come in and comment on this bug? We still don't have any acknowledgement of it outside of people bringing the comments from their respective support tickets, and many of those are not saying the same thing or are being evasive or dismissive.

We have some players who have been affected for almost a month now. The more we're finding out about this bug, the worse it's getting - affected players essentially aren't able to do any questing because the world states are wrong. In many cases, if a quest asks you to enter a quest-locked area, the area will see the flag of 'quest complete' when it isn't and block access to the area. This means that, besides the unpleasantness of the world looking wrong, players are actively blocked from completing things like e.g. the Necrom main quest.

This is officially a gamebreaking bug at this point - it quite literally breaks progress in the game. Affected players are actively barred from doing content that they paid for (since it's not on ESO+), and we have had no word on the status of this.

Many of us are also scared since the affected character is our main and we don't want to end up with a state where our main is irretrievably broken, or to lose progress we did manage to get during the PvP event. But it does mean that our affected characters right now can't do much outside of daily quests and group content since the stories are broken.

We also have friends and guildmates who are nervous that they'll get the bug since there doesn't seem to be a cause mentioned. This thread seems to indicate that it's somehow related to Arcanists in PvP, and the 'Kill 20 Arcanists' seems to make sense as it's a quest and the quests got bugged, but we don't know yet.

Any input the dev team can make on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Options
  • Mirumorg
    Mirumorg
    ✭✭✭
    Can I play ToT?
    No because I have all zone quests bugged.
    Can I complete the second and third codex of the Glyphic Secrets music box?
    No, because I can't play ToT.
    Can I complete the "Card Conjurer" achievement?
    No because I can't play ToT
    Can I complete the "Memories of the Spearhead" achievement?
    No because I can't play TOT.
    I completed the ToT introductory quest on June 7, 2022.
    Explain to me how it is possible that since July 1st you still haven't been able to give us an answer about this bug. it is quite frustrating not to receive answers regarding a bug that prevents you from playing and completing objectives of the new chapter.
    There was maintenance on Wednesday but there was no mention of a possible fix to the problem.
    Options
  • MinaM
    MinaM
    Soul Shriven
    Fishing works again on my main, the rest doesn't - so whatever caused this problem, it doesn't seem to be related to the quest progress issue.

Here's another question then - are we all on the same alliance? Is one of the version bugged, or is that even the source of the problem?

I'm Aldmeri Dominion and I also handed in the quest to kill 20 Arcanists the day (or the day before?) I first noticed the bug.
    I had a similar experience to the one you described. While being in a group, I wondered why some kills didn't count. The numbers for the arcanist quest and the "kill 40 EP/DC players"-quest didn't align with the achievement which requires 1500 kills in Cyrodiil (I have not yet gotten that achievement, was just checking progress).
    Edited by MinaM on July 14, 2023 6:22PM
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MinaM wrote: »
    I'm Aldmeri Dominion and I also handed in the quest to kill 20 Arcanists the day (or the day before?) I first noticed the bug.
    I had a similar experience to the one you described. While being in a group, I wondered why some kills didn't count. The numbers for the arcanist quest and the "kill 40 EP/DC players"-quest didn't align with the achievement which requires 1500 kills in Cyrodiil (I have not yet gotten that achievement, was just checking progress).

There's a known bug with the 'Kill 40' conquest mission where it will count kills that you got the finishing blow, or where you tagged an enemy and then they were finished off by someone else, but not count them if it was a group member who finished them off. It's intended to also count them if they're killed in a group and you tagged them once, which is something they're addressing in the current PTS patch (and also raising that to 150 kills, but that's a topic for another thread).

However, I'm hearing more and more people who are saying they did a 'Kill 20 Arcanists' quest before they were hit with the bug, and considering that's one of the new quests we got, and it would have 20 quest stages (each of the "Kill X/20 Arcanists" as you add them up), and the bug is with quest stages getting borked all over the map, it'd make sense if that quest was the one behind this bug.
    And if it is, it'd be nice to know so we can send out a PSA to all of our friends: "Drop that quest until they fix it so you don't bug your game!"

...The current PTS copy does have my character from right before it happened and he's got 6 Arcanist kills, so I at least know the first 6 kills don't do anything. I kind of want to go on PTS and try to get the other 14 and see if turning it in (or even just hitting some magic kill number) ends up breaking my game.

Still, I'd love if one of the devs could at least drop a "hey, we know this is an issue, we're still fixing it but your characters will be fine" or something else to put us at ease."
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This issue is pretty frustrating. I basically can't quest because of it. That's like 80% of this game
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no idea this bug was a thing until it happened to me just now. At first I thought it was a bug with Quest Map but I checked the Zone Guide for various zones on my main that I know I had 100% completion in, and now it's showing all sorts of stuff missing throughout every zone.

I didn't read every post in this thread but based on this last page, the one thing I did in common was do the Kill 20 Arcanists daily in Cyrodiil for the first time ever and turn it in. Logged off after that to do some writs on alts and then take a break, and when I logged back onto my main, I noticed everything was bugged.

Edit: For some further context after reading this thread more, I didn't do anything in Cyrodiil during Mayhem except 1 Chorrol or Bruma daily each day for tickets. This happened today after turning in Kill 20 Arcanists for the first time ever.
    Edited by Galiferno on July 15, 2023 3:09AM
    Options
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ookay, another weird update in my game.

I was in Solitude and I saw that Fenrar had a quest marker over his head. I'm guessing for the Karthwatch quest. However, he's not supposed to be in Solitude until after the quest is done...?
    I don't want to break my game further, so I didn't talk to him, but...?

Another one - I was in Scalecaller (that my uspf says is incomplete and is showing with a black icon on the map), and there was no quest available. Understandable. Then today I did the March pledge, and... Hanu had a quest marker. I've done that quest ages ago, I got the Challenger almost three years ago. But uspf is saying it's incomplete, and the map icon is... white?

I definitely avoided redoing that quest because I know for fact I already have the skill point from there, but now that I'm starting to see quest markers reappear... is this degrading even further?

Please, someone from ZOS comment on this bug!
    Options
  • Galiferno
    Galiferno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similarly, I was doing the enchanter survey in High Isle and there was an invisible NPC there with a quest marker over his head. I absolutely knew I had done that side quest before. I was able to speak to the invisible npc and the dialogue was if I had never done the quest before, but I wasn't actually able to accept the quest. So yeah I'm getting invisible NPCs now offering quests I've already done.
    Options
  • Sylvalynn19
    Sylvalynn19
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem for me.. after a week I got this response

"We are currently aware of an issue where the zone progression tracking is not being reflected accurately and are actively working towards a resolution for the issue. We thank you for your report of the issue faced. I have now gone ahead and forwarded the provided information to the development team for review. If we need any additional information from your end we will be sure to reach out to you. Please keep an eye on our website for any news or updates regarding it."
    Options
  • birdmann1230
    Just for those with the ToT bug-you can play other players if they invite you to a game, and you can still play/pick up the NPC daily quest and get rewards, it’s just the activity finder that’s broken. It’s working for me at least so I hope that helps someone.
    Options
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed I have this bug as well. Recently I did all Stonefalls story quests on my main and now the zone guide says I’m at 0/16 and Cadwell’s Silver says I’ve done none of the required quests.

It’s been more than three weeks since the first post in this topic and still complete radio silence from ZOS side on the forum. All we have are vague replies to tickets. How are those improvements to communication coming along, @ZOS_Kevin ?
    Options
  • birdmann1230
    I never got a reply to the ToT ticket I put in, I’m thankful this thread popped up. I just never bother to resubmit another one for the quests. It’s getting old though we’re going on three weeks or so now?
    Options
  • Colue
    Colue
    yeah all they say is that the developers are working on it, not what's going on and if the fix will work to leave your progress where it is or anything
    Options
  • Morvan
    Morvan
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing just happened to me today and now I can't quest because of it. :neutral:
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish we could get ANY info about the progress on fixing this bug considering questing is probably the biggest part of this game and this bug is messing with being able to complete quests.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options