The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO SpamFilter Addon

pjt15253
pjt15253
✭✭✭
Hello everyone.

Been noticing a lot of gold spammers in chat already, so figured I'd make an addon to automatically add them to my ignore list. If anyone is interested, it's available on esoui.com at esoui.com/downloads/info89-SpamFilter.html.

Enjoy!
  • onesoul1982b14_ESO
    Oh nice :D
  • Gierolf_Whitecoatb16_ESO
    awesome!
  • rainith2000nub18_ESO
    Very much appreciated!
  • daniel.taylorclaneb17_ESO
    Greatly needed, did not expect this much spam on 5 day early access ha
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see such a positive response to this - If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it, please let me know.
  • KiroElmarok
    KiroElmarok
    ✭✭✭
    Lol! I actually said this should be a thing ingame on sunday and some dude told me to just ignore them... I am genuinely glad this exists.
    Edited by KiroElmarok on April 1, 2014 4:16PM
    Daggerfall Covenant - Dunmer - Dragon Knight

• Huggernaut
    Huggernaut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would love to use this addon- any chance we can see it on curse.
    Edited by Huggernaut on April 2, 2014 11:47AM
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take a look into that when I get off work. Never used curse. In the meantime, you can pick it up at https://bitbucket.org/paul_trampert/spamfilter/overview as well.
  • TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    Nice. Thanks for making this. I like using curse as well.
  • IronbarSinister
    IronbarSinister
    Soul Shriven
    You rock! Thank you so much!
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks promising. :) Haven't seen a single spammer so far, but if you're interested, we could work together to make it multilingual. I could also manage the Curse hosting in case you don't want to bother with it.
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Smaxx, but I can handle the hosting easily enough. I've automated the whole process of zipping up the addon package every time I commit, so it's really no bother for me to upload it elsewhere.

As for making it multilingual, by all means feel free to make a pull request on the repo. It's a public repo at bitbucket.com, here. I'd appreciate the input.
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    Huggernaut wrote: »
    and I've boycotted that site your hosting at.
    Ummm, why?

Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    I second the "why?" question. Are you confusing ESOUI (part of the ZAM family of UI sites that has been around for YEARS for many many games) with ESOCore which is stealing addons?
    Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • Ivywreath
    Ivywreath
    Dude, awesome!
  • pjt15253
    pjt15253
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of why he's boycotting ESOUI - This is now on curseforge.com as well. Enjoy!
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZAM was bought by gold sellers years ago is my best bet.
  • Seerah
    Seerah
    ✭✭✭
    ZAM was bought by gold sellers years ago is my best bet.
    You're funny. :)

Author & Moderator at ESOUI
    My Addons
  • orgelambart
    orgelambart
    Soul Shriven
    awesome idea in theory, but ultimately the only way to combat gold seller is having them be reported and banned, so while having them immediately get ignored is a great help, it doesn't bring them to the attention of the GM's nor will it result in them getting banned.

I'd hope gold selling and spamming the game would result in an immediate ban.
  • riverdragon72
    riverdragon72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first, and prolly only add on I will use.. it works brilliantly.
    Meh...**** it..
  • drakiv
    drakiv
    definitely picking this up
  • Nights_Watch
    Nights_Watch
    Soul Shriven
    Fantastic add-on
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice buddy! I have a feeling your addon is going to become very popular :)
  • shapelyzombie
    I stood in town this afternoon for a little over an hour, reporting all of the gold spammers. All it got me was an email inbox full of the same response. "We'll look into it."

My faith in GMs banning gold farmers/spammers/buyers is not very high. Sadly, it's the buyers who are the root of the problem. You'd be hard pressed to sell surf boards in Alaska.
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan until ESO. I did like the Construction Set for Morrowind, though.
  • shapelyzombie
    I do have a question. How does this work? How do you know it will ignore those people and not accidentally ignore people who are legitimately trying to sell their wares in game?

www.***-gold-seller.com
    versus
    www.our-guild-website.com
    versus
    I just made 1000 jute boots. Selling for 22 gold each.

While #2 and #3 might be annoying, I wouldn't want an add on accidentally ignoring them. If your add on ONLY ignores the gold farmers, why don't the devs program such a thing into the base game?

***edit: Today I learned that a certain female hygiene product is censored in the forums. :-P
    Edited by shapelyzombie on April 2, 2014 5:45AM
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan until ESO. I did like the Construction Set for Morrowind, though.
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a configurable blacklist. It doesn't block everyone posting any generic URL.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While a nice thought....this kind of thing isn't helping the situation at all. We as players have a responsibility to report this kind of thing, just like we're supposed to report someone using an exploit. Or someone with a name that violates the naming policy...or reporting any violation of the ToS. (That's terms of service, and if you haven't read them..do so.)
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    Feels to me like this is a good task for something like an AutoHotkey autofiller.

Like, I have hotkeys to auto-post replies to a few common FAQs I see on /zone (you need to send /zone, sleep for about 250ms, then send the rest of the string).

It should be easy enough to macro filling out a specific type of bug, instead. Hrm, but how can AHK grab the info about the name? Seems like we need an AHK/LUA gateway script. Do you get os.execute in ESO's LUA? If so, a LUA script could call an AHK script with parameters, then the AHK script could feed that to the keyboard stack to fill out a report on the user.
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you don't, for obvious reasons. :) However, it might be possible that the clipboard is exposed somewhere (haven't had a closer look though).
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    Failing that - can it load in files? I believe I've seen people with jpg files in their LUA scripts. 37 of those, you have alphabet, letters, and a separator. Then run something externally to monitor accesses to those files. It's kludgy as all get-out, but it's a way to escape the sandbox.
    Alternatively, monitor for accesses to nonexistent files, too, in which case a nonexistent file like /banscript/@FrederickBloggsson/FreddBloggs.jpg would report that account and username.