Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Limit Followers (and SUMMONS) in Towns [Completely]?

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need less players in towns as they tend to be too crowded. More instances please.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need less players in towns as they tend to be too crowded. More instances please.

Agreed. SO much lag in cities starting about 2 weeks ago. Annoying.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    As it would be an option for each persons personal use, i say sure, the more choices the better. Low end machines, different play-styles, if it can be implemented with minimal cost, why not?
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

I sympathize, though I have no real lag. For me, overly crowded city areas (like the Elden Root Undaunted Enclave most of the time) turn other characters from point of interest sharing the game (which is not a bad thing) to a sea of obstacles obscuring everything and fostering irritation/resentment (which is a bad thing). While it is true that pets, companions and summons can aggravate that, the core problem is simply too many players in the same area. Hence, perhaps more instances to allow for more manageable player density.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I sympathize, though I have no real lag. For me, overly crowded city areas (like the Elden Root Undaunted Enclave most of the time) turn other characters from point of interest sharing the game (which is not a bad thing) to a sea of obstacles obscuring everything and fostering irritation/resentment (which is a bad thing). While it is true that pets, companions and summons can aggravate that, the core problem is simply too many players in the same area. Hence, perhaps more instances to allow for more manageable player density.

I'd be really happy to share half my lag with you.... No no - I'm joking! But in Vivec and the other cities (all of them....) in the last couple of weeks there are people everywhere , yes, packed to the gills - and lag, slow pop-in of NPCs, player characters appearing as black solids for up to 30 seconds, rubberbanding, (everyone, not just my characters); on and on and on. This is not the same as my satellite lag - this is on TOP of that.

Outside cities, I'm not seeing any problems. So as soon as I get done with daily writs, I take off for the boonies....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kitziboo wrote: »
    I got really annoyed in the recipe run house in Vastyr yesterday as there was a flappy in my way constantly. I decided to leave and go back later and then felt a bit daft when I realised I was on my sorc (a rare event) and it was my flappy.

Let's just have them leave in a radius of X meters around
    - crafting stations
    - banker NPCs
    - luxury, pvp and some other popular Vendor NPCs

+ have the Winged Twilight ILLEGAL ACT in cities
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A bit crowded in Davon's Watch bank...

c3ggk183koro.png
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kitziboo wrote: »
    I got really annoyed in the recipe run house in Vastyr yesterday as there was a flappy in my way constantly. I decided to leave and go back later and then felt a bit daft when I realised I was on my sorc (a rare event) and it was my flappy.

Let's just have them leave in a radius of X meters around
    - crafting stations
    - banker NPCs
    - luxury, pvp and some other popular Vendor NPCs

Should not be illegal as unlike necromancy, it perfectly legal to have a deadric minion. Tough i woulnt mind them being hidden from view at the critical point of cities.

They could also help by spreading people more. This could be done by adding writh board and drop boxes in dlc cities. Granted some of them dont have good layout with some table being on different side of town but other such as senchal could do very well as alternative to the usual vivec, alinor and leyawiin.
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

agreed. twilights, clannfear, scamps, bears, shades: all should be illegal.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just have them hidden from view in town. No need to break lore for something like that
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just have them hidden from view in town. No need to break lore for something like that

i dont see how it would be lore breaking. i dont think the locals would be cool with demons and bears running around their town.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z

i dont see how it would be lore breaking. i dont think the locals would be cool with demons and bears running around their town.

It is lore breaking to outlaw them:

(I wrote this earlier this same thread)

At this point in time interacting with deadra, while unusual, is not a criminal act.

There are quests that involve deadric creatures in towns, and Craglorn even has a vendor who is deadric.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be really happy to share half my lag with you.... No no - I'm joking! But in Vivec and the other cities (all of them....) in the last couple of weeks there are people everywhere , yes, packed to the gills - and lag, slow pop-in of NPCs, player characters appearing as black solids for up to 30 seconds, rubberbanding, (everyone, not just my characters); on and on and on. This is not the same as my satellite lag - this is on TOP of that.

Outside cities, I'm not seeing any problems. So as soon as I get done with daily writs, I take off for the boonies....

the only time i have issues with stuff loading in slow like that (people appearing as black solids for example) is when im on a computer that is slower

my laptop definitely has issues loading everything in right away, and it might be cause of the slow HD/processing compared to my desktop (where i have the game running on an SSD and literally never see the black body players even loading into somewhere such as craglorn)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Z

At this point in time interacting with deadra, while unusual, is not a criminal act.

There are quests that involve deadric creatures in towns, and Craglorn even has a vendor who is deadric.

okay? the "deadric" vendor is a dremora. not really the same as having demon dinosaurs or a freaking bear romping down main street or through an inn.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My bear's existence shall be respected!

Respect your own bear and don't take it into town!

Ruuuuuby, don't take your bear to town.

I'll see myself out.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z

okay? the "deadric" vendor is a dremora. not really the same as having demon dinosaurs or a freaking bear romping down main street or through an inn.

So rewrite the main quest line then? Because Tharn summons you with a deadric creature, remember that?
    Rewrite vanilla zones that have deadric creatures in towns for quests?
    Remodel the “dremora” in Craglorn (“Dremora (also known as "The Kyn") are a warlike Daedric race primarily associated with the Daedric Prince of Destruction, Mehrunes Dagon.“
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dremora ) and hire a new voice actors for them?

And introduce new npcs everywhere suddenly explaining this sudden lore change?

Or…

Just learn to live with the occasional pet, or maybe just move to a town/city that is not that crowded.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A player using a toggle that removes pets only from their view will not affect anyone else. I see no downside to expanding the current toggle to include all town areas.
    PCNA
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A player using a toggle that removes pets only from their view will not affect anyone else. I see no downside to expanding the current toggle to include all town areas.

Sure. But I think the pets should “reappear” if the player is in combat. And then when out of combat they can disappear for people with this toggle turned on.

Personally, I like seeing the pets, and non combat pets, and followers… I like cities to feel busy. To have movement. To feel alive.

As long as I can still see them, an “optional” toggle does not bother me.
    Edited by BlueRaven on March 7, 2023 7:27PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the only time i have issues with stuff loading in slow like that (people appearing as black solids for example) is when im on a computer that is slower

my laptop definitely has issues loading everything in right away, and it might be cause of the slow HD/processing compared to my desktop (where i have the game running on an SSD and literally never see the black body players even loading into somewhere such as craglorn)

This just started - and I've been on an SSD all the time I've been playing - so right at 7 years. Vivec for sure seems to have easily twice as many characters as just a couple of weeks ago, and so does Leyawiin.

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. But I think the pets should “reappear” if the player is in combat. And then when out of combat they can disappear for people with this toggle turned on.

Personally, I like seeing the pets, and non combat pets, and followers… I like cities to feel busy. To have movement. To feel alive.

I like cities to feel busy too and they still would. Not seeing the pet won't remove the player that has the pet with them, and no one will have to use the toggle if they prefer not to.

There are few situations where a player will be in combat in town unless they are dueling, which I wish they would not allow in towns anyway, but that's another topic.
    PCNA
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a toggle to completely eliminate seeing pets/companions in towns would be great for those who want it. It's never bothered me so I wouldn't use it, but to each their own.

I'd love a toggle to prevent players from casting spells on me in towns. Just about every day someone casts heal on me while I'm in a town, which puts me into a combat stance. Not cool.

Also, yesterday someone cast a spell on a merchant while I was trading, which was obnoxious because then I had to see the spell effect on the merchant while I was selling stuff. Toggles to disable nonsense like this would be great. Give us more control over how players can impact our gaming experience without our permission.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I like cities to feel busy too and they still would. Not seeing the pet won't remove the player that has the pet with them, and no one will have to use the toggle if they prefer not to.

There are few situations where a player will be in combat in town unless they are dueling, which I wish they would not allow in towns anyway, but that's another topic.

I am thinking specifically of Wayrest, Evermore, and Velyn Harbor (there are more) that have combat quests that happen within the cities.

Also, combat pets can be a guard distraction while fleeing from being caught in a crime.
    Edited by BlueRaven on March 7, 2023 8:05PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking specifically of Wayrest, Evermore, and Velyn Harbor (there are more) that have combat quests that happen within the cities.

Also, combat pets can be a guard distraction while fleeing from being caught in a crime.

This is true, but my setting a toggle so I personally don't see someone else's pet in town won't affect any of that, and it won't stop the guard from seeing the pet.
    PCNA
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just let me turn them off completely except PvP.

I never want to see people's pets, no matter where it is.
    Edited by Brrrofski on March 7, 2023 8:55PM
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

True. There really should be a few more arenas with wayshrines, merchants, banks, crafting stations, etc available. I know one got added to Stormhaven, but it's inconvenient and barren.

• SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat pets should have a toggle so that other players don't have to see them - separate from cosmetic pets which are part of the player's wardrobe.

There is zero reason to have combat pets anywhere near the crafting areas and writ drop-offs, near or in banks, or near merchants.

I personally want to be able to not see other players' combat pets ANYWHERE. I still want to see cosmetic pets.

So again...a separate toggle for disabling the view of static combat pets would solve this entire issue for everyone. I am not talking about pets that are spontaneous skills that expire after a few seconds.
  • Tes96
    Tes96
    ✭✭
    All pets and all companions should automatically be de-summoned while in city limits IMO. Also, dueling while in city limits should be a criminal offense IMO.

For companions that would be a problem, specifically when many of their “likes”, and some of their quests happen in towns.

Bastion for example likes doing (specifically turning in) mage quests. Isobel likes turning in High Isle WB quests. How would that work if we can’t summon them?

And combat pets, many towns and cities have combat quests. The whole ending to stormhaven happens in Wayrest. So how does that work?

This goes back to what I originally posted. Just give us a simple toggle feature in Settings to enable/disable pets & summons in town. If pets/summons don't bother you, don't use the feature. For me, if I was doing that quest, I would obviously enable pets/summons for the quest so it would get completed, and then go back to disabling them again. Having the option to disable/enable pets/companions is a win/win for everybody. For those that don't mind pets/companions, they just leave it alone. For those that find it annoying, like me, I can click the enable option.

I really hope ZOS extends the Hide Pets feature to include Summons; no more 10-foot wing-span flapping in my face.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Exept it is perfectly legal in tamriel. So yes making it illegal for such an unimportant reason goes against the lore
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never understand why they made these pets so big in the first place. And the constant flapping of the Twilight Matriarch takes annoying to a new level.

My Sorcerer doesn't use pets because of this.
    Edited by SilverBride on March 8, 2023 5:55PM
    PCNA
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just the pets with their constant wing flapping that's intrusive, it's also the warden bears, which are large and tend to obscure your view.
    Why can't the game just hide all [non] combat pets within a certain radius of any merchant ? In other words, around general merchants, guild traders, bankers, craft merchants, etc. This should be updated with the merchants' positions, since some of them move around a bit.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390