Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Limit Followers (and SUMMONS) in Towns [Completely]?

Tes96
Tes96
✭✭
Zenimax, can we PLEASE get the OPTION to turn off summons and pets completely in towns, including inside interiors? It's incredibly annoying to be in the bank and there's 5 winged twilights flapping their enormous wings in my face, or neon-glowing bears standing on top of the desk in front of the banker. I'm not the only one who finds this really annoying, and having the OPTION to make summons and pets invisible would be widely appreciated by many players. And for those that it doesn't bother them, they can just leave them on.

Zenimax gave us the option to limit followers in towns when they're supposedly 5 feet from the crafting tables. Why can't they just give us the option to disable them completely? If there is a boss being attacked by invisible summons, then so be it. We should have the option to choose our own style of gameplay.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bear's existence shall be respected!
  • Masteroshi430
    Masteroshi430
    ✭✭✭
    The option for sure can be improved, it can be extended to writ deposit boxes for example.
    @Masteroshi430 PC/EU (old French guy playing in English & addon author/maintainer) My addons
    Deshaan Honeydew Hors D'Oeuvre <<< FIX THAT TYPO GODDAMMIT!
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    why limit companions when it makes the game seem twice as active
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    I got really annoyed in the recipe run house in Vastyr yesterday as there was a flappy in my way constantly. I decided to leave and go back later and then felt a bit daft when I realised I was on my sorc (a rare event) and it was my flappy.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like them to extend it as well. I don't think it's practical to completely ban pets and followers from towns because there are some quests that involve fighting in towns. But the option to hide them could be extended to cover a bigger area and more objects (like merchants, the outfit station, writ turn in boxes, basically anywhere players tend to be clustered together).

I'm not completely sure what is and isn't affected by the current option because it's so minimal it doesn't make a noticeable difference.
    Kitziboo wrote: »
    I got really annoyed in the recipe run house in Vastyr yesterday as there was a flappy in my way constantly. I decided to leave and go back later and then felt a bit daft when I realised I was on my sorc (a rare event) and it was my flappy.

I don't use the twilight on my sorcerer for exactly this reason. I can't stand the constant flapping and would rather play without it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still want bigger, and more brutal bears.

099d1e413eed4952202cadff1172ccf1.jpg

This may be a bit too brutal tho...
    "We're all born under the same sky and on the same earth. Therefore, we all deserve the same amount of respect."
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    2 days ago I was doing my writs on one of my sorcs and at each crafting table there was a twilight flapping it's wings in my face, I drew a breath and continued, got to the writ boxes and still....
    There was a bloody twilight flapping it's wings in my face, went to the merchant and ok now I'm getting frustrated because there is another twilight flapping it's wings in my face 😡
    Run over to Dayna (banker) and no way, seriously another twilight flapping it's wings in my face... Accidently switched weapons and my twilight disappeared facepalm SMH.

Yeah... Embarrassingly... It was my own Twilight 😐

(I usually try to remind myself to put them away when I'm in town doing my wrists, on this occasion though, it slipped my mind)
    Edited by TheWoanderer on February 23, 2023 12:41PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 days ago I was doing my writs on one of my sorcs and at each crafting table there was a twilight flapping it's wings in my face, I drew a breath and continued, got to the writ boxes and still....
    There was a bloody twilight flapping it's wings in my face, went to the merchant and ok now I'm getting frustrated because there is another twilight flapping it's wings in my face 😡
    Run over to Dayna (banker) and no way, seriously another twilight flapping it's wings in my face... Accidently switched weapons and my twilight disappeared facepalm SMH.

(I usually try to remind myself to put them away when I'm in town doing my wrists, on this occasion though, it slipped my mind)

This sounds like another good reason to give us alternate models for summoned creatures. It would make it easier to tell yours apart from everyone else's.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

This sounds like another good reason to give us alternate models for summoned creatures. It would make it easier to tell yours apart from everyone else's.

Such a good Idea - colours too. i know my daughter would love a pink matriarch!

That said I have dismiss pets on a key bind and drop them at the wayshrine but I would love to be able to reduce flappy in size.
  • Androrix
    Androrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes please. Wouldn't it be simpler to disable them in non combat zones like towns than just in a limited geography around a crafting table?
    Edited by Androrix on February 23, 2023 1:56PM
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Was so disappointed this was not how the feature was implemented.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine by me - I never have my pets out in town anyway (or anywhere unless in or expecting to be in combat). And I don't have companions so *shrug*.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All pets and all companions should automatically be de-summoned while in city limits IMO. Also, dueling while in city limits should be a criminal offense IMO.

Edited by SaffronCitrusflower on February 23, 2023 3:13PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All pets and all companions should automatically be de-summoned while in city limits IMO. Also, dueling while in city limits should be a criminal offense IMO.

For companions that would be a problem, specifically when many of their “likes”, and some of their quests happen in towns.

Bastion for example likes doing (specifically turning in) mage quests. Isobel likes turning in High Isle WB quests. How would that work if we can’t summon them?

And combat pets, many towns and cities have combat quests. The whole ending to stormhaven happens in Wayrest. So how does that work?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Androrix wrote: »
    Yes please. Wouldn't it be simpler to disable them in non combat zones like towns than just in a limited geography around a crafting table?

I'm not sure it would be simpler. There doesn't seem to be any actual distinction between a town and any other area in this game, other than the number and type of NPCs and services which are placed there so it's probably not easy for ZOS to set all towns to disallow pets and companions. They're definitely not classed as 'non combat zones' by the game because there's several quests where you have to fight someone or something in a town.

But they can set areas where you're not allowed to use mounts, like the crafting area in Alinor, and apparently they can put 'exclusion zones' around objects like crafting tables because they did that in a recent update, they're just so tiny the pets have to be right on top of the crafting station for it to take effect. They could probably expand that so the most crowded parts of cities hide pets and companions, while still allowing exceptions for things like turning in quests with companions or fighting during quests in towns.

• I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Respect your own bear and don't take it into town!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of my addons automatically dismisses my pets when I interact with banker or crafting station. Also keybind to do it manually. (Change to make that dusty and cobwebby [Å]-key useful.)
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't agree to limit them completely. I believe that a simple solution would be:
    - To extend a little bit the radius of effect of the hiding followers feature.
    - To extend it to other services than just the crafting stations, like - not limited to - banks
    (try bank in Vulkhel at peak times... :( ).

It's important that towns remain alive. Now pets owners shall not panic. The followers disappear only for those turning on the hiding followers feature. Otherwise, nothing is changed. :smile:
    Edited by DreamyLu on February 24, 2023 4:49AM
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    why limit companions when it makes the game seem twice as active

Because it's creepy to see multiples of the same face and body.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i never have the pets and stuff turned off in town, doesnt bother me (i actually kind of find it funny when i see a half a dozen twilights stacked on each other lol)

besides the limit pets thing only works for other peoples pets, not your own (as noticed by some in this thread lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    I still want bigger, and more brutal bears.

099d1e413eed4952202cadff1172ccf1.jpg

This may be a bit too brutal tho...

I don't want to see summoned pets in town, but on the other hand I'd love to see a dozen aggressive runebears siege Vulkhel Guard. 🤔
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

On the flipside, another player's need to see clearly, should also be respected.

Back on topic, I agree completely OP, especially when it comes to small rooms (for eg., you get people with twilights in the alchemy building in Mournhold, and it's impossible to see anything around you). Some players will never unsummon their pets in town out of consideration, so it will always be an issue, thus having an option to turn them off visually on an individual basis would be an amazing QOL improvement. I'm not sure how they would implement this, maybe by extending the radius of the existing option to go beyond the stations and cover the whole town, but it would be really welcome.
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having them in town everywhere is good for you. If you let this upset you to this degree , then the issue is not the flapping. Learn to relax and ignore them. When someone or something makes you mad ,you are giving control over to them.
    Now.explain why [snip] should effect others around you.

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on February 25, 2023 9:09PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roztlin45 wrote: »
    Having them in town everywhere is good for you. If you let this upset you to this degree , then the issue is not the flapping. Learn to relax and ignore them. When someone or something makes you mad ,you are giving control over to them.

[Edited for Baiting]

You can't ignore something that is blocking another object from view, and generally people like to see what they are doing and not play a guess game. Also, if you want to get deeper into this, it's immersion breaking having bears atop writ boxes in towns.
    Edited by Psiion on February 25, 2023 9:10PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tes96 wrote: »
    Zenimax, can we PLEASE get the OPTION to turn off summons and pets completely in towns, including inside interiors? It's incredibly annoying to be in the bank and there's 5 winged twilights flapping their enormous wings in my face, or neon-glowing bears standing on top of the desk in front of the banker.

I also find these pets completely annoying and would love to be able to completely toggle them off in town.
    Edited by SilverBride on February 25, 2023 9:14PM
    PCNA
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

[Edited for Baiting]

Wait, how does a client side option to not display pets affect other people?
    Edited by Psiion on February 25, 2023 9:10PM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having them in town everywhere is good for you.

There is not one positive benefit to having to wade through other players' pets in town.

If you let this upset you to this degree , then the issue is not the flapping. Learn to relax and ignore them. When someone or something makes you mad ,you are giving control over to them.

There is a big difference between being annoyed and being upset or angry. Wanting to remove an annoyance is not giving control to anyone. It's taking control.

If a player chooses not to see pets in town it has zero effect on anyone else. They can still see them if they choose to and no one will know who is or isn't seeing them.
    Edited by SilverBride on February 25, 2023 9:54PM
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't bother me that much but extending the toggle to work in more parts of town doesn't hurt anyone. Don't see a reason why not do that.
  • Akenomyces
    Akenomyces
    Soul Shriven
    I play a Sorc and the flying pet annoys me. It's always in my face when talking to NPCs for quest turn-in, etc. I wish I could make it smaller or something.
    Also, why is summoning a Daedric creature ok IE not a criminal offense but summoning a skeleton for a few seconds is? I get Necromancy yada yada but Daedric creatures aren't exactly friendly either lol.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akenomyces wrote: »
    I play a Sorc and the flying pet annoys me. It's always in my face when talking to NPCs for quest turn-in, etc. I wish I could make it smaller or something.
    Also, why is summoning a Daedric creature ok IE not a criminal offense but summoning a skeleton for a few seconds is? I get Necromancy yada yada but Daedric creatures aren't exactly friendly either lol.

At this point in time interacting with deadra, while unusual, is not a criminal act.

There are quests that involve deadric creatures in towns, and Craglorn even has a vendor who is deadric.