The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New Q4 system will be some kind of ‘Endless Dungeon‘

Seraphayel
Seraphayel
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Title.

Rich talked briefly about the upcoming Q4 system, although they can’t give us more information yet he said it will be something like an infinite dungeon you can run with a buddy (we don’t know if this means companions or real player friends as of now).
Edited by Seraphayel on January 25, 2023 9:28PM
PS5
EU
Aldmeri Dominion
- Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that seem to be original.
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and the bois on our way to fight in an endless dungeon for 14 hours straight
  • BulletMagnetX
    BulletMagnetX
    ✭✭✭
    Procedural generation, or a sequence of randomly selected corridors?

It could work... so long as it amounts to more than the teaser information. It sounds more like Maelstrom than a dungeon.
    Molag's balls!
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea alot, but it doens't live up to the expectations of cutting an entire zone and a dungen DLC. I was expecting something a bit more...longterm?

I don't like the "with a buddy" comment either. I didn't hear companion and I just hope it's not a mandatory 2player group thing.
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can be good if they manage to make it not too repetitive with varied bosses. Eso already has great dungeons, if the dungeon team and the overland team work together instead of making the small overland and 2nd dungeon DLCs, I think that they could pull it off.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping for something like that.
    Blades has an endless dungeon and it was kind of fun so seeing one in ESO leaves me excited.
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it give me thorgast vibes and thats not a good thing
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Chapter better have more content than previous ones if they're cutting a whole story DLC.

As for an endless dungeon, I'd like something akin to Niflheim in Assassin's Creed Valhalla, where you are getting a random weapon/armour each round.
  • Thormar
    Thormar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the first example of what Matt Firor spoke about: repeatable, 'systems' content.
    In general, there are two types of content in ESO: hand-crafted, such as quests, stories and things you do one time per character; and systems, which are activities that are generally repeatable such as PvP, dungeons, trials, housing, daily crafting writs, etc. We have always had a mix of the two types of content, but in terms of Dev Team hours, the majority of time developing the game has been weighted towards questing content.
    - Matt Firor
    Edited by Thormar on January 25, 2023 9:30PM
    What if I go north? Disappear.
    Would you come after me?
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing it'll be like zombies in COD where the mobs grow in strength the longer you survive.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just don't lock progression behind x floor/level and don't kill a run by unfortunate disconnect/crash, I will run it with my bud.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised there's no spellcrafting but an endless dungeon, even though I like doing ESO dungeons, is not my idea of fun :( oh well
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I’m rather interested in the new class an “endless dungeon” sounds as horrible to me as tales of tribute. I sincerely hope nothing for raiding or PVP is locked behind it.
  • AltanasAExcalibur
    Vrienda wrote: »
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?

On the other hand, the endless floor dungeon in FF14 was immensely popular and well received such that a further 2 iterations of it have been released.

I think an endless dungeon with floors that have relatively small maps (compared to ESO dungeons...) would be a good thing. Less running aimlessly around.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see myself running around in this thing out of curiosity for a while when it's still new, but it's nothing I'd do regularly, and even less is it a worthy replacement for the Q4 dlc that included a new zone and 30 hours of story content.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an instance grinding spot, a bit like Skyreach but endless?
    PC-EU
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe something like a maze in Apocrypha?
  • Vindold
    Vindold
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Title.

Rich talked briefly about the upcoming Q4 system, although they can’t give us more information yet he said it will be something like an infinite dungeon you can run with a buddy (we don’t know if this means companions or real player friends as of now).

It's sound not that bad especially if it's a Procedural generated dungeon, but what's important is rewards...currently I see no real reason to do dunegons\trials after you get your set pieces.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe something like a maze in Apocrypha?
    Yeah, I will not suprised if that endless will mean that you just go through some level, at end you have one or more doors, which teleports you to one random of for example 15 variations of this dungeon and that's it. Just endless loop of dozen levels with terrible grind.

I remember "exciting" dynamic Oblivion portals from Blackwood which were just one dungeon with 3 entrances...
    Edited by Luke_Flamesword on January 25, 2023 9:58PM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My carpal tunnel is not one bit excited for it. Never liked these endless dungeons in Diablo-style action games and it's not going to be enjoyable with ESO's pace of combat either.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just another option for cp grinding new accounts 😁, its a pia trying to find anyone for nbrp. So hopefully this helps with new console transfers wanting to get all levelled up and ready to go.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I can take a companion in and have a chance at surviving, I'll give it a try. If it's basically a dungeon balanced for 2 players, I won't be interested.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It reminds me of the mobile game (Blades). I wonder how much design inspiration they will from it.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Blades:Abyss
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 26, 2023 1:17AM
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    An endless dungeon sounds like a hamster wheel...
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    Not thrilled. Not exactly what I was expecting from a 'tentpole' system. Buy we have few details as yet, so will wait and see.
    PC-EU.
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I'm guessing it's procedurally generated, gets harder the further you go and you get better/more rewards the further you get.
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least that is not the deployable tents with poles B)
    PC EU
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if it is going to be some kind of "procedurally generated" stuff, made out of pre-existing rooms with different challenge that will gradually become more & more difficult the deeper you go. I also wonder if it will be quest based (like Arenas) with an occasional checkpoint, so you can go back & continue other day. And it is going to be for 2 players ? That does kinda sound like you will be able to solo it with an NPC companion. Sound cool tbh.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 26, 2023 12:00PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they learn from WOW's Torghast's shortcomings.