The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Action bar slots

• Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    Wreaken wrote: »
    There is simply no need for more hot buttons in this game because your current resource usage and regeneration rates do not allow it. How do you intend on casting 10 skills in a rotation when you can barely cast 3 with the current way the game is mechanically designed for combat?.

Some of them have passive benefits (like this happens when this ability is slotted or this happens based on how many abilities are slotted).
    Some of them are situational. Like a certain tank cooldown. Maybe I want to use a magic absorb now (stamina) and a heal some other time (magika). Or Unstoppable (stamina).

There is a point to more skills. Not ok with the game design? That's another thing. But useless? No.
  • AngersRevenge
    AngersRevenge
    ✭✭✭
    Calyn wrote: »
    I have to say that this is very disappointing. There are so many skills that have to be activated. There's nothing strategic about picking 5 skills when the specific class trees have double that for one weapon type. I don't want a clone of another MMO with 500 slots but 10 available at one time would be more than enough. This game is awesome but this feels way too restrictive for a PC MMO. However thank you all for the quick responses.
    When ESO was first announced the said it was going to be a TES game first and an MMO 2nd. While it still feels more like an MMO to me, the less abilities you have access to during a fight makes the fight and your choice of abilities more of a stratigic and skill based choice. The one thing I dread about all MMOs I have played is they become a face roll and gear grind game. ESO, so far, isn't. And, hopefully, will never be.
    A true warrior never reveals his heart. Until the axe rips it from his chest.
  • Cydone
    Cydone
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that this is very disappointing. There are so many skills that have to be activated. There's nothing strategic about picking 5 skills when the specific class trees have double that for one weapon type. I don't want a clone of another MMO with 500 slots but 10 available at one time would be more than enough. This game is awesome but this feels way too restrictive for a PC MMO. However thank you all for the quick responses.
    When ESO was first announced the said it was going to be a TES game first and an MMO 2nd. While it still feels more like an MMO to me, the less abilities you have access to during a fight makes the fight and your choice of abilities more of a stratigic and skill based choice. The one thing I dread about all MMOs I have played is they become a face roll and gear grind game. ESO, so far, isn't. And, hopefully, will never be.

ESO might not be a "gear" grind, but it is MOST definitely grindy. Especially once you get to the veteran ranks. If you ever played SWG(Star Wars Galaxies) during pre-cu, the veteran grind I have experienced thus far is on par with grinding combat xp for my jedi.

If you never played SWG or only played the NGE here's a break down. Say you get 1.5k xp for killing npc X. You would then, at the same time, gain around 300-400 combat xp. In order to get a box in Jedi, the conversion ratio for combat xp to Jedi xp was 30 to 1. So, every 30 points of combat XP garnered ONE Jedi XP. And almost every box in Jedi was over 200,000 xp and UP.
    Edited by Cydone on April 17, 2014 5:30AM
  • karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an add-on, or is anyone working on a add-on that can expand the action bar slots past 5? 5 seems very very restrictive considering all the active abilities available to each character.

i think it would be possible to have a ui that shows 10 skills .. and any skill past the 5 would automatically swap weapon .. with the relevant graphical delay of switching befor it would fire ...

im fairly new to add-ons so dont know if that would be either 2 complicated or just even possible .. im searching for a mod that might do something like this

• karldavy149b16_ESO
    karldavy149b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Deadmedic wrote: »
    One word description to sum up why.

Consoles!

not true consoles and pcs would never meet ..

i like it like this tho ..

i just wish i could have the extra 5 slots from weapon switching displayed and easily fired with an auto switch of weapons ,,, but i guess thats just lazy i suppose i could easily setup a macro on my keyboard for it
  • Aiiane
    Aiiane
    ✭✭✭
    i think it would be possible to have a ui that shows 10 skills .. and any skill past the 5 would automatically swap weapon .. with the relevant graphical delay of switching befor it would fire ...

im fairly new to add-ons so dont know if that would be either 2 complicated or just even possible .. im searching for a mod that might do something like this

UI that shows both weapons' bars side by side, yes. Swapping automatically, no.
    Aiiane, Aldmeri Dominion, Auriel's Bow, NA ☆ Twitter
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imjanko wrote: »
    IS there am add on to give you a second bar for your quickslot items, (potions, etc etc). The "wheel" method, while good for the console version is stupid and terrible for mouse and keyboards.

I use an Add-on called "Easy Quick Slots" that allows me to assign hot keys for the wheel (I used F1 through F8) and this has made it much simpler to use my consumables. You can get it at Curse.com or ESOUI.com.
    I wouldn't rely on that too much.. The devs of this game are ALL about keeping everything "fair". This addon gives a slight advantage to those who use it.

This now makes its a "must" for pvp and well ine API addon got destroyed do to that.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the fact that all the people that hate the current number of abilities either blame it on "consoles" or poor dev design blah blah argument.

I will tell this thread the reason behind the 5+1 ability slots AND the POT item selection.

Its all about the left hand and WASD keys. In TESO your hand is supposed to stay on WASD at all times to keep moving.

HItting anything past 5 while staying on the WASDS keys is VERY hard to do for most without moving your hand off the WASD keys or taking your eyes off the scene to glance at the keyboard.

Now Sure YOU can do this PERFECTLY fine GREAT. But its NOT fair to everybody else that CANT.

The POT quick slots makes sense too. Too many being slotted makes it hard for others. 1 is really all that is need or you can hold Q to "rummage" through your POT back to get the right one.

This again goes to PLANNING. TESO is all about PLANNING using the right ability/POT for the right situation. Adding more Diminishes that.

Having fewer abilities makes all the characters more unique in their own way based on ability selection. Not every healer will use the same Heals or CC or Support. Same goes for Tanks DPS Support.
  • Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
    All usable item slots are or can be numbered internally and there will probably a macro addon setting available in the future so you can 1-button use any of the 8.
    Edited by Vantor on April 18, 2014 1:42PM
    Invictus EU Guild Officer
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an add-on, or is anyone working on a add-on that can expand the action bar slots past 5? 5 seems very very restrictive considering all the active abilities available to each character.

No, it's not possible. You could have an addon show you the icons but...

Addons can not swap weapons or execute skills or execute standard keybind actions. So other than SEEING what you have on bar 2 there would be no reason, or functionality provided, by having those extra graphics displayed.
  • Custos91
    Custos91
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this information, as far as I know, there is no player atm, who could ossibly know more about addons for teso^^
    Warden Main apparently... 7 Wardens currently, otherwise a healer of every class.
    Mostly active in No CP PVP on EU, blaming the buffbot meta in pve.
    I want to feel like I am saving somebodies life, not like I am carrying amunition for them...
  • GrundigTheMad
    GrundigTheMad
    Soul Shriven
    I don't mind the limit of 5 actions but there definitely should be a way to scroll to a different action bar when changing weapons so that you don't have to reconfigure your action bar each time you switch to a different weapon style, i.e from Two-Handed to One-Handed & Shield. It would be nice if it the game would change actions bars automatically based on the weapon setup you have and remember the configure you set for that skill set. Also, it is a must that consumables have a separate action bar for PC players, I can't count the times I have been killed because I was busy changing my quickslot item mid combat!!! Also, There should be one more unique slot for using other items, i.e. world and class skills, since it is a unique function and using it takes up a valuable skill slot and they sometimes get used by mistake during combat, and thus using up your limited stamina, magic, or charge. One idea would be to provide the option to "Auto-rotate" to next quick item, and the option to Auto-Use a quick item when your health/Stamina/Magic get below a certain percentage.
  • illogicbh
    illogicbh
    ✭✭✭
    "Im a destruction staff Sorc..." Me

"What? Oh, dont you use class skills?" Friend who doesnt play ESO

"No, I wish, no room on my action bar, bro. They only give you 5 slots and an option for 3 second delay if you want to switch weapons" Me

"That sucks, why would you play that?" Friend

"I dont know why I would, I cancelled my sub" Me
    Savvy?

• Ruebs
    Ruebs
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should get 1 additional skill slots in each bar when we reach VR1 and another 1 additional skill stol at VR10. I have heaps of skill i just never use because they don't fit on my optimal skill bar. Example: Mage light. I would love to slot mage light, but it's not worth loosing one of my damage or self heals to slot it.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It is absolutely strategic. You don't get to have every skill for every situation. You have to think, and sometimes you have to change strategies between fights.

And there is no weapon (nor class) that more skills than the bar in this game.

Edited by cliveklgb14_ESO on April 22, 2014 12:27AM
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Phaade wrote: »
    Consumables should have a separate quick slot bar for PC/MAC. Each fight/encounter may require a different potion - the current method of updating the Q slot is not conducive to fast paced combat, particularly when you need something and you need it now (CD's not withstanding).

There is an addon that lets you program quick slots to your keyboard.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info71-EasyQuickSlots.html

Edited by cliveklgb14_ESO on April 22, 2014 12:33AM
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely wrote: »

Some of them have passive benefits (like this happens when this ability is slotted or this happens based on how many abilities are slotted).

And that still is not an argument to add more slots. If you really want a particular passive then you need to pick and choose skills to be able to slot it.

Some of them are situational. Like a certain tank cooldown.

Then slot that skill when you are fighting mobs that you need that skill for.

• FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    Several other MMOs only allow so many skills to be used via a hot bar. You may have 20 combat skills but you can use only 5 at a time which you tailor to what you expect to need. You end up with skill sets for your bar i.e. a set of general adventuring/hack/slash/grind skills, a set bosses, a set for undead, a set for etc, etc, etc. You have to be a smarter player not just a key pusher.

I think we do need a bar for consumables. That circle thing is total garbage, so much so that I find myself only ever using the consumable in the first slot.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Several other MMOs only allow so many skills to be used via a hot bar. You may have 20 combat skills but you can use only 5 at a time which you tailor to what you expect to need. You end up with skill sets for your bar i.e. a set of general adventuring/hack/slash/grind skills, a set bosses, a set for undead, a set for etc, etc, etc. You have to be a smarter player not just a key pusher.

I think we do need a bar for consumables. That circle thing is total garbage, so much so that I find myself only ever using the consumable in the first slot.

Again there is an addon that makes the quickslot circle so much better.

• williams226
    williams226
    ✭✭
    I would like the hotbar to have an updown arrow on it. Say giving you a limited number of turns of the hotbar so you can have pre - designed hotbars for different things.
    -
    Solo play - hotbar 1
    group play - hotbar 2
    Dungeons - hotbar 3
    Pvp - hgotbar 4

I don't want any extra skills and I don't want to keep changing my one hot bar to suit my needs. Cos I am lazy lol.

But I can plan each hotbar and tweak then as I gain new skills and change the way my class plays. For instance, playing a nightblade I may want to focus on single target DPS, to kill mobs fast. Or I may want to play AOE DPS.

Having extra hotbars being able to toggle up then up and down would not be to hard to implement. Can be easily done on pc and console. Would not change any of the game mechanics as you would disable the hotbar change during combat.

Its just making it easier and more accessable for everyone. Just my opinion anyway.

As regards the radial quick slots. I don't really like the way it works. I often sell my lower level potions and forget to add the new ones. Then when fighting throw in a magnum shot get knocked back into another group of 3 - aggro to many lose health and press Q then die as I have not slotted the new heal pots.

Oh well :)

• Mosha
    Mosha
    ✭✭
    What I'd really like to have is to be able to use the exact same weapons (not only weapon type) in the second slot, but with other abilities. This could allow for different play styles while not having to carry around to more things. Also upgrading your weapon set would be easier then. I realise, this is a minor thing, but I still strongly back it.
    Ave, ZoS, moriturus te salutat!
    -me, with a stam NB in April 2014

Mo'sha V16 Khajiit Stamina NB
    Legate Alva V16 Imperial Stamina/Magicka Templar
    Mo'sha Reborn V16 Breton Magicka NB
    Burning Mo'sha V5 Dunmer Magicka DK
    a couple mules...
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Five slots is the price you must pay to enjoy "no world cooldowns" on your abilities.
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    Five slots is the price you must pay to enjoy "no world cooldowns" on your abilities.
    not having a shiny blinking effect on your quickbar doesent mean their is no GCD...

spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one is resourceful enough, there are ways to automate hotbar switching via modifier keys.
    ESO does not currently have the ability to use combination keybinds; such as the use of CTRL+1,2,3,4,5 etc.. instead of just a single key.
    But with a little ingenuity, it is possible to overcome this limitation, as long as the player can accept the 1-1.5 second delay between the bar switch and the actual ability use.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the hotbar to have an updown arrow on it. Say giving you a limited number of turns of the hotbar so you can have pre - designed hotbars for different things.
    -
    Solo play - hotbar 1
    group play - hotbar 2
    Dungeons - hotbar 3
    Pvp - hgotbar 4

I don't want any extra skills and I don't want to keep changing my one hot bar to suit my needs. Cos I am lazy lol.

But I can plan each hotbar and tweak then as I gain new skills and change the way my class plays. For instance, playing a nightblade I may want to focus on single target DPS, to kill mobs fast. Or I may want to play AOE DPS.

Having extra hotbars being able to toggle up then up and down would not be to hard to implement. Can be easily done on pc and console. Would not change any of the game mechanics as you would disable the hotbar change during combat.

Its just making it easier and more accessable for everyone. Just my opinion anyway.

As regards the radial quick slots. I don't really like the way it works. I often sell my lower level potions and forget to add the new ones. Then when fighting throw in a magnum shot get knocked back into another group of 3 - aggro to many lose health and press Q then die as I have not slotted the new heal pots.

Oh well :)

I think there are some addons that do this. They are still restricted to being changed out of combat only still. And if I remember right you can even tie armor and weapon changes with the skill changes also.

• cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Chryos wrote: »
    not having a shiny blinking effect on your quickbar doesent mean their is no GCD...
    Except there is no GCD. You can literally spam the same skill over and over without pause and it will go off immediately after the last.
  • SuicideKings
    Wreaken wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to fail to understand the games resource usage only allows for the use of a handful of skills anyway.

If you only have enough magicka and stamina to cast maybe 3 or 4 skills per fight, regardless of duration due to regeneration values allowing to keep those skills either up or in constant usage, then what is the point of 10 hot keys?

None.

• jy82988ub17_ESO
    2 bars, 5 abilities and 1 ultimate per bar is actually what made me quit this game. I played all the way up to vr7 and just couldn't stand the restricted nature of combat anymore. I hated having to open my skill pages over and over again to redo my bar anytime I changed from leveling, to pvp, to instanced pve and even then there was multiple times i'd have to change them again just for 1 fight.

Restricting your combat creativity is a horrible idea and a big reason why this game in my opinion will fail. I can understand they don't want someone using 25 abilities with 5 skills from 5 different trees all the time, but pigeon holing me into 5 skills just for tanking is horrible for both interesting game play, but designing any complex encounter as well.
  • SuicideKings
    I think restriction isn't the key. I have other abilities and cannot use them because of the limit of spaces. Like filling soul shards on my stealth archer. Some of you may be able to play with the limit of 5 keys but I prefer the option if I need more.
  • xramirez535b14_ESO
    2 bars, 5 abilities and 1 ultimate per bar is actually what made me quit this game. I played all the way up to vr7 and just couldn't stand the restricted nature of combat anymore. I hated having to open my skill pages over and over again to redo my bar anytime I changed from leveling, to pvp, to instanced pve and even then there was multiple times i'd have to change them again just for 1 fight.

Restricting your combat creativity is a horrible idea and a big reason why this game in my opinion will fail. I can understand they don't want someone using 25 abilities with 5 skills from 5 different trees all the time, but pigeon holing me into 5 skills just for tanking is horrible for both interesting game play, but designing any complex encounter as well.

Might be too late since you quit the game, but there's an addon to quickly load saved skill bars. Wykkyd Outfitter or something like that.