The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Action bar slots

• Warlox
    Warlox
    When you hit level 15, just pick the same weapon type as a secondary weapon and then you'll have another bar to work with. Just swap between the two weapons giving you twice as many skill slots to work with.
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZNICK wrote: »
    Krze wrote: »
    I can't believe there are no plans to increase the number of hot keys you can have.

I don't understand why they would want to restrict the amount of skills you can use during combat...?

This is by design... it makes you carefully choose and use strategy picking those 5 skills. It also assures that while it'll still happen, there's a lot of variety in character creation.

Z
    I hate that poor excuse. I am LOVING this game, but I hate the restrictions in skills in MMOs these days. And to say it's based on strategy is total non sense. Some of us like variety and don't like being limited. If you want that fake brand of strategy, you can do it yourself. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer. HOWEVER, in this game, it's not so bad. Anyone who's played the single player games knows how limited your skills were, so for Elder Scrolls, these extra "moves" are just fine by me. :D

• shapelyzombie
    Keep in mind that this game will also be available on consoles. It is not PC exclusive. Zenimax has been very clear that they want a level playing field for everyone, and I absolutely commend them on that stance. Having ten skills on your bar in the PC version would be very unfair to console gamers.
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan until ESO. I did like the Construction Set for Morrowind, though.
  • Wreaken
    Wreaken
    ✭✭✭
    nhisso wrote: »
    I can't believe there are no plans to increase the number of hot keys you can have.

I don't understand why they would want to restrict the amount of skills you can use during combat...?

This is by design... it makes you carefully choose and use strategy picking those 5 skills. It also assures that while it'll still happen, there's a lot of variety in character creation.

Z
    I hate that poor excuse. I am LOVING this game, but I hate the restrictions in skills in MMOs these days. And to say it's based on strategy is total non sense. Some of us like variety and don't like being limited. If you want that fake brand of strategy, you can do it yourself. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer. HOWEVER, in this game, it's not so bad. Anyone who's played the single player games knows how limited your skills were, so for Elder Scrolls, these extra "moves" are just fine by me. :D

There is simply no need for more hot buttons in this game because your current resource usage and regeneration rates do not allow it. How do you intend on casting 10 skills in a rotation when you can barely cast 3 with the current way the game is mechanically designed for combat?

That is what they mean by design.

Taemek Frozenberg, Leader of <Epoch Gaming>
    Oceanic - Australia
  • Wreaken
    Wreaken
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that this game will also be available on consoles. It is not PC exclusive. Zenimax has been very clear that they want a level playing field for everyone, and I absolutely commend them on that stance. Having ten skills on your bar in the PC version would be very unfair to console gamers.

PC/Mac will be separated from the PS/Xbox crowd on different clients, thankfully.

Taemek Frozenberg, Leader of <Epoch Gaming>
    Oceanic - Australia
  • Dignam
    Dignam
    illogicbh wrote: »
    Yeah, they need to have separate slots for consumables. Its hard to go into your inventory and look for a consumable while you are in combat.

You don't have to go into your inventory if you setup your quick slots.

To make it more strategic and skill based???
  • slbrgt
    slbrgt
    ✭✭
    Concerning the quickslots, it just does not make sense to assign all quickslots to the same key (Q) and adding an extra interaction to select which of the quickslots will actually be assigned at a certain moment. As keyboard with more than enough keys (and including shift, cntr, alt, ... combi's) is standard on every PC. Not even referring to special game keyboards or mouse.
    So ease for multi platform implementation appears to be the only reason.
    Edited by slbrgt on April 2, 2014 1:44PM
  • imjanko
    imjanko
    ✭✭
    It's obvious to me that it is ease of multi platform implementation. You can't even assign button combos to things. So no alt+1 or anything. Or alt+F1.
    If all servers for PC and consoles were going to be together, I could understand this being the way to keep things fair. However, with PCs and consoles getting their own servers, and playing separately, there is no reason other than laziness to keep this busted system for PC.
    Again, I am speaking only of the lack of quickbars for consumables, and not the main system for combat and specials. I really like that aspect.
  • skhelterub17_ESO
    Wreaken wrote: »
    nhisso wrote: »

Z

There is simply no need for more hot buttons in this game because your current resource usage and regeneration rates do not allow it. How do you intend on casting 10 skills in a rotation when you can barely cast 3 with the current way the game is mechanically designed for combat?

That is what they mean by design.

Ok so why limit it? More skill in picking the appropriate reaction to a given situation while under pressure, then to be limited to a few. Sounds like a good excuse for failure, but not for skill imo. Already see enough pre-planning thru the picking of skills and improvement of skills. I for one would like a few more options while fighting. Having to loose half my skills because of the lack of UI slots is just silly.

This is done simply for the uniformity to consoles. Radial menus, limited skill slots, and menu buttons are all the way they are due to consoles. They don't want to have 2 different designs and game mechanics. Also could effect the later balancing of the game if pc's were to have more available.

I love this game but hate the fact that consoles bring down pc games. Its just the way it is.
  • Aglavalin
    Aglavalin
    The poorly implemented hot key system in ESO is typical new company to MMO syndrome.

They want to do something new and different, which is good. But they end up changing the interface in a way that limits too much. Or it just feels alien and unfamiliar.

I have seen this before over the last 20 years of online gaming.

ESO needs to expand the hotbar to be 10 or 20, and just let us drop in consumables on any slot. Simple, familiar, and the best way to be effective.

What ESO has now is just clunky and un-fun.
    Edited by Aglavalin on April 2, 2014 3:53PM
  • oomaplestoryoo
    I think an Addon that show both weapons with skills is great. You still have to press the button to change the weapon and skills but it's better if it's visible for both.
  • vanity
    vanity
    ✭✭
    My problem is I get that 10 skills is part of the interface... two slots of 5 skills each, but why the heal does switching your skill set negate the other skills. You should have 10 skills executable at a time but skills such as summons or shields or effects all disappear when you rotate to your other 5 skills. To me that doesn't make sense and is way to limiting.
  • Moonstryker
    I agree that they need to create a better way to use consumables. The Q button thing doesn't work very well, at least for me.
    "Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour."

• ZJohnnyZ
    ZJohnnyZ
    If I never see another boring (clunky) button rotation MMO it will be too soon! Thank God there are only 5+1 X 2 skills slotable - IMHO for me even that's to much! I don't play the piano, and don't have as many buttons on my standard mouse as a keyboard (Like Data from Star Trek could use!) I hate combos (This isn't street fighter! And I hate playing the piano and button rotation! Pick your skill that affect your ability to fight Mobs with a standard mouse only! That way when a no-life 250 macro'ed button rotation nuber crunching griefer comes along you're both on level playing field. You shouldn't need more then one potion (per class) slotted ever! You should make your toon be able top take on ANY situation (without any switching micro-managing etc. junk)

Immersion is what you get - simplicity. If you have picked your skill in a supportive synergistic way for your play style you shouldn't more then 2 abilities and be able to have fast immersive combat with all enemies. If you would like to be able to play another way - here's a hint make another character!
    Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭

Z

I understand the philosophy. What I can't shake is the notion that this is just justification for pandering to the console crowd. What can I say? I'm a PC Princess right to the bone.

• frozin
    frozin
    ZJohnnyZ wrote: »
    If I never see another boring (clunky) button rotation MMO it will be too soon! Thank God there are only 5+1 X 2 skills slotable - IMHO for me even that's to much! I don't play the piano, and don't have as many buttons on my standard mouse as a keyboard (Like Data from Star Trek could use!) I hate combos (This isn't street fighter! And I hate playing the piano and button rotation! Pick your skill that affect your ability to fight Mobs with a standard mouse only! That way when a no-life 250 macro'ed button rotation nuber crunching griefer comes along you're both on level playing field. You shouldn't need more then one potion (per class) slotted ever! You should make your toon be able top take on ANY situation (without any switching micro-managing etc. junk)

Immersion is what you get - simplicity. If you have picked your skill in a supportive synergistic way for your play style you shouldn't more then 2 abilities and be able to have fast immersive combat with all enemies. If you would like to be able to play another way - here's a hint make another character!

I completely agree with this statement, +1
  • imjanko
    imjanko
    ✭✭
    I disagree.
    Some fights, I'll get hit with a crit early and need a health potion.
    Some, I need stamina.
    I don't know what's going to happen before I get into a fight, and it's much easier to just have consumables on its own bar and be able to hit a button for whichever I need, on the fly, rather that hit Q, mouse to which one I need, (if it's different from what I've "queued" up before the figh), then release Q, then hit it again to use a health potion if I've queued up a stamina potion before the fight.
  • ZJohnnyZ
    ZJohnnyZ
    imjanko wrote: »
    I disagree.
    Some fights, I'll get hit with a crit early and need a health potion.
    Some, I need stamina.
    I don't know what's going to happen before I get into a fight, and it's much easier to just have consumables on its own bar and be able to hit a button for whichever I need, on the fly, rather that hit Q, mouse to which one I need, (if it's different from what I've "queued" up before the figh), then release Q, then hit it again to use a health potion if I've queued up a stamina potion before the fight.

Try leveling up or getting help from friends/other players. Try to be OP for the area. Don't power level - this isn't a cheap MMO. Sounds like the choice in play style and/or skills isn't synergistic - should only need to be low on one resource for the fight or you in over your head!

If your a mele fighter type slot stamina (you should have enough health to finish the fight), then give all your mana potions to your mage/casting (healers hopefully in your case) friends, and health to your tanky friends - and if you have no friends (this is an MMO make some) - or just sell the pots you shouldn't need anyway or bank them for your alts that do!
    Edited by ZJohnnyZ on April 2, 2014 5:20PM
    Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
  • poltida
    poltida
    ✭✭
    It brings a new game dynamic and strategy base gameplay, this game is not another WOW/WH/RIFT ect. its TES, with mmo capability. and play it how its supposed to be played, they didnt but macros for items because it doesnt follow gameplay orientation. So choose which potion you want available when you need it or hold Q (like opening your bag quickly) find the other potion you need, and its ready for use. its a RPG. and a TES should be taking the RP very seriouly.
  • davasarub17_ESO
    If that's true (which it may, or may not be) I want to genre name enforcement put into full affect. I don't want to see names like "ARAGORN513" or "awesomekiller". I want names that fit the game universe and genre for better immersion.
  • liquidhope
    i agree 100% there needs to be more than just a wheel for consumables like healing ,stamina and etc
  • poltida
    poltida
    ✭✭
    Ive made potion at level 7 +300 weapon crit for 30 sec. so imagina at veteran level
  • poltida
    poltida
    ✭✭
    I've made potion at level 7 +300 weapon crit for 30 sec. so imagine at veteran level
  • Bansheedragon
    Bansheedragon
    ✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    That's OK then, with dual wielding you have your 10 slots.

Those 10 slots are reduced to 8 if you play as sorcerer and want both "combat pets" available.

When you have 2 weapons and 10 slots, if you do notadd those "combat pet" skills to the action bar for both weapons, they will be automatically unsummoned once you swap weapons.

As such you are suddenly reduced to 8 slots on the action bar where as others can use all 10.
    And I have yet to see those "combat pets" make up for the 2 extra slots they require to be used.
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once your level 15, you can switch all your bars in a single click so pretty much you will have doable the amount of skills you currently have!:)
  • Bansheedragon
    Bansheedragon
    ✭✭✭
    One word description to sum up why.

Consoles!

If consoles and PC/MAC were all playing on the same servers I could see it had to be done this way to level the playing field for everyone.

However, seeing as consoles will be playing on separate servers from the the PC/MAC players, there is no need for them to share those limitations as they will not affect each other.
    Edited by Bansheedragon on April 3, 2014 12:56AM
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Limited action skillsets enforce careful thinking with your build, to make sure you have the right skills for contingencies, rather than just having all skills available at all times.

This is not a gear focused game, it is a skill focused game, like the original guild wars, your gear determines very little of the outcome of fights, but your skill build determines the majority of it.

I like it better than talent/gear based systems.
  • mayhemmike83
    mayhemmike83
    Soul Shriven
    I dont think we need to have a full 10 but maybe 6 or 7. If its for strategy, sometime you dont know what your going up against. I find myself wanting to put something like soul trap in my set up but that takes away a damage skill. Its just a lil bothersome not to be able to have a little more set up. But that still means if to have a non combat skill I have to drop a useful damaging skill It might prove to be just fine when I get to level 15 and get to swap as one set will be range and the other will be melee but right now its kind of irritating
  • drowadin
    drowadin
    ✭✭
    Game is perfect no need for changes. No addons needed.
  • Tueland
    Tueland
    Your not limited to 5 skills + ulti because the game is comming to console to, its limited to 5 skills + ulti because they dont want everyone to be tank/healer/dps.. Like Laura said earlier

In a "free" game like this where you can pretty much be whatever you want (healer, tank, dps) they have to limit the skills that can be used for the sake of balance.. If you dont understand that, then feel sorry for you.

Also the quick slot system is fine, get over yourself, just plan ahead what you might need slotted.