Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Leveling too slow? (not a complaint about speed of leveling)

Nooblet
Nooblet
✭✭✭✭
So is the leveling too slow? Or am I seriously missing all kinds of stuff? I completed every quest minus 1 or 2 bugged ones through the 1-15 area at level 13(spent about 2 hours going back making sure i didnt miss any). Did a dungeon, then moved on to the next area… I am now level 14(almost 15) doing level 18-20 quests? It seems I just keep getting further and further behind. I guess I could just grind mobs.. but damn thats slow.

Am I missing something?
Edited by Nooblet on March 31, 2014 2:08PM
  • MyForumName
    MyForumName
    ✭✭
    Maybe the game is forcing you to group. Which would suck.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could check out Cyrodiil. There are both pve quests(in the towns around the zone) and pvp quests(near border gates).

Not all pvp quests are about killing either, you can take a scouting quest(go to an enemy keep), and on the way you will probably pick up a skyshard or two as a bonus.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I think you might be missing something, but this is just my perspective.

It depends on how you play the game. Trying to level up quickly, In my opinion doesn't suit this game. Again, just my opinion. And before I continue with this line of thought, leveling is pretty easy in the lower levels but does take more time as you start getting to where you are now, the leveling up does slow down.

So, back to my thoughts. Leveling for me, it of no great importance. I'm not out to get to end game any time soon. I've waited long enough for this game to come out, so I don't want to find myself 'finished' in two weeks. Of course end game, is different for everyone.

If I find a library filled with bookshelves, I'm the character you'll see there reading every bloody word. I'll be picking flowers, making potions, crafting (well, maybe not crafting as that word reminds me being at nana's house, doing macrame) blacksmithing and the like. Any and all quests, will be mine... all mine!

I don't find this type of play slow, but I understand that others do, and they just want to kill things and people. I'm not against that, I love to kill people, but I do it in my own time.

Not sure if that helps you or not, but it's how I play.
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• polynike
    polynike
    Agree with kijima. Play this as an ES game rather than your typical MMO. I was up at level 5 yesterday after about an hour and half game play. Thought it was quite quick but yet again I am still on Bleakrock. During Betas I only managed to get to level 8 and found it hard to get to 10 to get to PVE areas. I think balance is about right. Take it slow and enjoy it all
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    I personally am enjoying the levelling curve, too many mmo's these days rush you through your levels to get into endgame content which for me ruins the game if i get to 50 to quick, i remember the first time i played FFXI and it took me 8 months to hit 75, the sense of achievement and accomplishment i felt was great and then they released Abyssea and you could hit max level in day or 2 if you wanted - could even afk level if your mates were nice enough, not long after i then decided to leave, altho i guess if you really wanted you could burn your way to endgame in about a week, but me? i'll be taking it nice and slow exploring my way through Tamriel :)
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Did you do the starter islands/islands? In closed beta I noticed that went just fine and I'm doing well right now after a full day of puttering around I'm level 8 and I am aware of 2 quests I haven't found/triggered this time around at least one of them I think is bugged so its not getting handed out.

Thing is I'm right on track with where I was in beta. Oh and don't forget to do Cryodile, it is worth it even if you never plan to PvP, just doing the introductory quests and grabbing the 3 skyshards will help you.
  • Nate
    Nate
    ✭✭✭
    I'm feeling it's about right. I listen to all NPC dialog and usually will ask all of the available questions they allow you to ask. I also read all the books I find, so needless to say I'm level 7 after a full day of playing. Fine by me though. This imo feels like an ES title and ES games aren't really meant to be rushed through. Half the experience is the lore and interaction with the world.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have levelled to 8 with my girlfriend and it was pretty smooth - we do explore a lot and craft as well though. Completed all the quests on the way. Remember that not only quests give exp but also doing other stuff like opening chests, exploring and other.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a little quick actually, well compared to a couple beta tests ago.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I hope leveling slows down after 10 because I preferred how it was 2 months ago.
    Hell, all the game was better 2 months ago before the usual whiners started complaining about things like the tutorial islands and the weapon racks and all other dumb issues
  • Noxxys
    Noxxys
    You should maybe do a mix of PvP and PvE, and don't forget the quests of the 3 guilds.
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Leveling better slow down, I hit level 8 on one character, and level 6 on another, just today; granted, I played for probably 8 cumulative hours today, which will never happen again, but at this rate I'd be done with the game by the end of summer.
  • Kroin
    Kroin
    ✭✭
    Im lvl 10 and only did 7 quest in the big Zone, opening Chest and farming mats gives quite some experience, and you need to explore not all quests will start in cities.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    First, Exarch, you're not "done" when you reach level 50. As for Nooblet, I'm not sure what you're doing only getting to level 14 before you've done everything in the first zones.

Personally I was (last evening CET time) level 8 when I left Khenarthi’s Roost and started on the Auridon zone quests in the Aldmeri Dominion. But then I've met more than one player in AD that didn't go to Khenarthi’s Roost. So maybe you missed the level 1-6 zone and started directly on the level 3-15 zone quests.

If you're AD then you should have taken the quest from the ship captain, if you're in a different alliance then I guess it's similar solution there.
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well put @Usstan
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Ekeiram
    Ekeiram
    The only thing I can think of is that you skipped the starter Islands ( wich you can ) , I personaly like them. A little bit less open world, but the story was great.

If you didn't skip them I have no idea how you got into this.

• Hardolis
    Hardolis
    Relax, smell the roses and don't be in a hurry. The game isn't going anywhere and the people who rush to end game are always the first ones to complain about being bored. MMO's are not meant to be completed in a couple weeks. No one gets a prize for rushing through it.
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not at all that I think the speed is too slow, It's that the level of my quests(and monsters im killing) are far higher than myself, and getting worse the longer i play.

I certainly didn't rush through, as I've gone back and tried to figure out what I've missed countless times. I don't think I skipped any Islands.. but i guess i could be wrong? I only played beta through level 4, so I guess I could have skipped something :(. Also It was fine till around level 10ish, that's when I started fighting stuff much higher than myself.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only played beta once and I was in a hurry to get into PvP so only went to lvl10.

But I do remember kinda running out of quests at that level and having to fight mobs up around lvl 15 or so.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aye, the starter isles will get you to lv 6 before even hitting the mainland.

In the last beta I skipped them and had trouble keeping up, I don't believe I ever will again.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nooblet wrote: »
    It's not at all that I think the speed is too slow, It's that the level of my quests(and monsters im killing) are far higher than myself, and getting worse the longer i play.

I certainly didn't rush through, as I've gone back and tried to figure out what I've missed countless times. I don't think I skipped any Islands.. but i guess i could be wrong? I only played beta through level 4, so I guess I could have skipped something :(. Also It was fine till around level 10ish, that's when I started fighting stuff much higher than myself.

I am pretty sure you missed the first starter island which is now skipped by default, my characters are around level 7 and are still in Khenarthi's Roost -the optional starter zone for the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    I feel the leveling is faster now than it was in beta, at least if you are questing. It took me like 14 or hours to get to level 10 to pvp in beta. I played about 8 hours yesterday and got to 13 and half.

As for your issue with zones, did you go to the first 2 beginner islands? if you skipped those, you skipped a lot. Like i said i am 13 and half, and have only done 1/2-2/3 of the quest in mainland first zone. If you did skip them there is no point in going back now, as you will be to high to gain exp off mobs or quests. Best thing i could recommend is questing in Cyrodiil until you get to the desired level for the next area.
    - Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiyamel wrote: »
    i remember the first time i played FFXI and it took me 8 months to hit 75, the sense of achievement and accomplishment i felt was great
    Aye, but how many of those months were you LFG on LOLDRG until SE made DRG a viable job? :)

For me my first 75 was a relief not an accomplishment, I could finally play with others in the LS.

Then I created a second character and BSTed my way to 75 .. not THAT was an achievement, when BST zoos still existed.

That said, I'm glad that XP grind-fests like FFXI are now extinct as far as new ones are concerned.
    Edited by KerinKor on March 31, 2014 11:59AM
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kronos wrote: »
    I feel the leveling is faster now than it was in beta, at least if you are questing. It took me like 14 or hours to get to level 10 to pvp in beta. I played about 8 hours yesterday and got to 13 and half.

As for your issue with zones, did you go to the first 2 beginner islands? if you skipped those, you skipped a lot. Like i said i am 13 and half, and have only done 1/2-2/3 of the quest in mainland first zone. If you did skip them there is no point in going back now, as you will be to high to gain exp off mobs or quests. Best thing i could recommend is questing in Cyrodiil until you get to the desired level for the next area.

Argh, I fear that might be the case. I did not attempt to skip anything or rush through either. It's been an uphill battle, but kinda fun at the same time being pretty challenging.

But I don't see how I can continue now, as it's progressively getting worse. I guess I'll try questing in Cyrodiil.. as I can barely see any progress if I try to grind mobs.

But I spent at least an hour in cyrodiil and gained practically nothing, guess ill look into the pve quests.

Thx for the assistance :)
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    So is the leveling too slow? Or am I seriously missing all kinds of stuff? I completed every quest minus 1 or 2 bugged ones through the 1-15 area at level 13(spent about 2 hours going back making sure i didnt miss any). Did a dungeon, then moved on to the next area… I am now level 14(almost 15) doing level 18-20 quests? It seems I just keep getting further and further behind. I guess I could just grind mobs.. but damn thats slow.

I have a similar experience during several Beta weekends. Till lvl10 leveling was fine, but around lvl13 I ran out of quests in the only big area available at that moment. When the next area was open in the last Beta weekend and after some grinding mobs to lvl14 I was facing lvl17-21 quests, which I mostly could complete without big troubles. I stopped at lvl18 in Beta and I don't really see how it is possible for a solo PvE player to be in line with the leveling curve without some mob grinding. I already have a habit of collecting all crafting materials, exploring every corner of the landscape and running 2-3 times through every cave just to make sure that I did not miss anything.
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭

But I don't see how I can continue now, as it's progressively getting worse. I guess I'll try questing in Cyrodiil.. as I can barely see any progress if I try to grind mobs.

But I spent at least an hour in cyrodiil and gained practically nothing, guess ill look into the pve quests.

You can get I think six skyshards on the optional starter zone, so it could be worth it for that.

For Cyrodill, get the bounty hunt quests and join a big group that is going around raiding castles or defending (make sure you are actually a member of the group, not just running with a group). In the beta, kills by my group counted for the bounty, so I got a lot of xp that way.

That said, the xp I got in Cyrodill was far less than what I got from questing in pve (in beta) and if I wasn't in a large group that was actually doing something, I got virtually no xp.

• DanMan3395
    Is this a joke? The game has been available one day.
  • Left_Hand
    Left_Hand
    ✭✭✭
    Past level 10 progression slows down a bit and you will often find yourself underleveled for the quests in your zone, that is if you dont do pvp while doing pve.

Quests are not that great in number and the exp rewards are not that significant, so you either grind the public dungeons (which they nerfed the exp), grind open world quests or do pvp.

It's a shame they didnt take Funcom's approach to questing in the Secret World, where you can repeat quests after a cooldown period, allowing you to repeat quests you enjoyed for some more exp.
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭
    DanMan3395 wrote: »
    Is this a joke? The game has been available one day.

It helps to read the post you are replying to. This is not an omg I should be max level post. Though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I should have thought of a more appropriate title.

Thx for the replies though. For the most part they've been pretty helpful with not many trolls.

Happy with the community thus far.