Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Galen is literally covered by wayshrines, so you have to TP there to view the map. ZOS please

• DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that there even is an alphabetical list when using a gamepad when playing on PC. I've never noticed one anyway. I just press the tiny left button with the left arrow on it in the middle of my Xbox controller and it brings up my map and then I use the triggers to zoom in and out and my control sticks to navigate and find where I want to go there and press another button when I find the wayshrine in the zone that I want to go to. It's not that hard.

This Island is ridiculously overcrowded with icons though, and you can't really zoom in, but you can still pretty much select when you want to go still.
    Options
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yet, once you actually get there, the placement is Nortern-Elsweyr levels of poorly-thought-out.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
    Options
  • Veloth_Redothril
    Veloth_Redothril
    ✭✭✭
    .....So apparently there's another way to access zone maps without having to go through the world map

TIL
    Options
  • Veloth_Redothril
    Veloth_Redothril
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the map so small on the World Map anyway? just make High Isle as large as Summerset, no reason to say that it is not that big lorewise when ingame it clearly appears that it is.

We've seen a map in the game Redguard that shows the Systres Isles and they're tiny compared to Summerset.

4zb99o5ucvj5.png

From a lore perspective the various landmasses on the world map are, for the most part, accurate. From a gameplay perspective every zone is a scaled down representation of a region from lore. Tamriel is suppose to be the size of Europe, or Eurasia, depending on measurements given in the past

So for that reason the size discrepancies between different zone maps and the world map don't bother me.
    Options
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grizzbeorn wrote: »
    kevkj wrote: »
    It's a stopgap for the OP, since it's obvious from their post that they navigate using the map view and not the zone list. I also use map view most of the time since I already got used to it, but use zone list for certain zones like Blackreach and High Isle/Galen.

There's quite a lot of people who don't even notice the zone list on the right side of their screen.

So (please excuse my ignorance), what is your process?

Do you open the map, then right-click to zoom-out to the Tamriel view, then choose your destination?

Yes. Except that I usually zoom in on the zone I'm going to. I'm much better with visuals, so more often than not I remember where the place that I want to go is on map, rather than what it's name is. =)

But I do also use the beam me up addon. Although the list there just consists of the zone names, I remember those. But specific wayshrines? Nah, I can just find them on a map.
    Edited by Michae on November 22, 2022 1:20PM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people including myself are better with a visual representation of a place (like on a map), rather than a name of a place in a list. I can't remember normal everyday names very well never mind the otherworldly names of places in ESO.

That is probably why many people use the map and click where they want to go, rather than use the list on the panel toward the left of the screen.

I also use the Wayshrine Controller addon.
    Options
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This very same issue after a few weeks made me use that list on the right side of the screen when you open the map. I am just glad that i do not have to scroll down to select Galen.
    Options
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't already know where the zones are, the world map is hard because the zone names don't come up when you hover.
    Options
  • Ryath_Waylander
    Ryath_Waylander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »
    kevkj wrote: »
    I'm actually illiterate and cannot read the zone list, so I find it easier to do a quick half zoom in and select the exact wayshrine I want from the world map without going into the zone map.

Hope this clears up any lingering concerns or confusion.

LOL!

This is fascinating. I would never use the world map to navigate to a zone. I just look on the right or port to someone from guild in that area.

As a matter of interest, are those of you who do use the world map old Skyrim players? It seems that's the way its done there and it would be what those players are used to.

You hit the nail on the head @blktauna. I've been playing since Oblivion days and even though they improved the map interface a while back, it's still habitual to scroll in on the world map to travel.
    Options
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem. Is it really the case that some players insist on accessing wayshrines from the world map instead of the zone map (which you can zoom in on if there are several overlapping icons)? Why?
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem. Is it really the case that some players insist on accessing wayshrines from the world map instead of the zone map (which you can zoom in on if there are several overlapping icons)? Why?

Yeah. I am baffled by this as well. I am really intrigued about what the answer would be.

I've been playing since 2016, I'm pretty sure I've never used that listing on the side for anything. I've always clicked the map, I'm not familiar with what options there are over in that side thing, because I don't pay attention to it at all. Just seemed the thing to do. Maybe because that's how just about every other game behaved, so I kept doing it? /shrug

This is what my world map looks like:

unf2c8lxxsgh.png

I do not use this for everyday navigation. It's too crowded, even places like Glenumbra are awkward.

This map is fine if I am going to an area for the first time. (Or on a new character.) But after that...

If I want to go to the Gold Coast, I go to the Gold Coast Map. Not through here. I only use this if I forget the name of a location want to go, find the name, THEN I just go to the local map.

I am still baffled that this is an issue for some people. It's just weird to me. I feel if you are using this map to navigate you are doing it the hard way.

I use the world map then zoom into the zone map. Its fast and easy. The issue with Galen is that you can't click on the map even when max zoomed in.

There is a small bit of land on the south east of high isle one can click on, but not galen.

This is a massive issue for navigating.
    Edited by Pixiepumpkin on November 22, 2022 9:53PM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A necro, yes, but... is Zos planning to do anything about this? Doesn't seem like it would be a difficult fix.
    Options
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you open your map, is there not a list of all the zones to the right, in alphabetical order? If for some reason, it's on another filter, select the "locations" filter. It almost always defaults to locations for me though. Just click the name of the zone, there's the zone map. I don't understand how they could make this any easier?

The only thing I can add is that UNTIL Galen, I never used the zone list, so I'll give you that. Since I started using it, I started wondering; "why didn't I always navigate this way? It's been right there all along and it's way easier than clicking on individual zones on a map anyway!"
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I use the world map for navigation-- which is very rare-- I generally go to the filters and deselect everything to turn off all of the icons, because even the largest zones can be tricky to click on for zooming-in purposes when it's covered with icons. It's simple enough to deselect everything, then reselect them afterward if desired.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    you can just zoom in by either rolling the mouse scroll button or the right triggers on a controller, right?
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zooming in does not help much for Galen, it's still difficult to select the right wayshrine. I don't see why people would use that way at all though when they have an alphabetical list of zones right there in front of them to use instead.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zooming in does not help much for Galen, it's still difficult to select the right wayshrine. I don't see why people would use that way at all though when they have an alphabetical list of zones right there in front of them to use instead.

Because I prefer to look at the map and find the place I wish to travel to. I've always done it that way and it seems way more interactive to me to see where I am going.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the same issue as the OP when Galen first dropped, trying to click on the tiny bit of map that wasn’t a wayshrine to zoom in, until someone pointed out the list of zone names to the right. Now I almost never use the map because the list is so much easier and quicker.
    Edited by Marcus684 on April 19, 2023 9:47PM
    Options
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭

Because I prefer to look at the map and find the place I wish to travel to. I've always done it that way and it seems way more interactive to me to see where I am going.

To each their own, fair enough! For me, even if I have preferences, I always TRY to do whatever the easiest/new way of doing something is. At 43, I've noticed I like adapting to changes a lot less than I did 20 years ago so now I always TRY otherwise I feel like in another 5 years, I won't even be able to use a toaster anymore without figuring out some app on my phone!
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback and ideas, everyone. We've been looking at ways we can remedy this as well since there are so many icons in such a small area.

Yikes, well I didn't mean to start an argument about how people should be using the map.

Merely wondering if there is any follow-up to the above, or if like many other things it has been forgotten.
    Options
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    No worries, we're not arguing. At least as far as I can tell. Different people like different things and that's okay.
    Options
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No worries, we're not arguing. At least as far as I can tell. Different people like different things and that's okay.

Yeah I hear ya, I didn't mean to imply that *you* were arguing - more like the responses caused me to look back through the thread and realize that there was quite a mix of opinion about the best way to port to a wayshrine. Just wasn't really eager to rehash all that.

Since structural plans started dropping from the Galen dailies, this issue has started bugging me again and I was surprised to see it had been brought up some time ago and even responded to by Zos. Just hoping to maybe put it back on their radar :smile:
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a matter of the "best" way. It's a matter of the "preferred" way.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you open your map, is there not a list of all the zones to the right, in alphabetical order? If for some reason, it's on another filter, select the "locations" filter. It almost always defaults to locations for me though. Just click the name of the zone, there's the zone map. I don't understand how they could make this any easier?

The only thing I can add is that UNTIL Galen, I never used the zone list, so I'll give you that. Since I started using it, I started wondering; "why didn't I always navigate this way? It's been right there all along and it's way easier than clicking on individual zones on a map anyway!"

In general yes but that doesn't exist on the console version of the game, we can't use the R bumper to get to Galen because the zone is too small and it just sends us to High Isle lol, so we basically have to use the wayshrine
    Edited by Rkindaleft on April 19, 2023 11:14PM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.

Tic Tacs Tormentor | Immortal Beemer | Gryphon Fart | Codslayer | Yawnbringer | Drainsbreaker
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I cant speak for mouse and keyboard but with a controler pressing R1/L1 let you pass dirrectly to the nezt layer of the map and another button is used for selecting a wayshrine. Cant you do the same? zooming in our out work as well
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rkindaleft wrote: »

In general yes but that doesn't exist on the console version of the game, we can't use the R bumper to get to Galen because the zone is too small and it just sends us to High Isle lol, so we basically have to use the wayshrine

Well i did it for the last 5 moths so it deos work weel enough
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

it's worked for me ever since galen released on console so are you sure you're clicking on galen and not high isle?
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    From my experiences, this has to do with Monitor Resolution. I've never had this issue on my 1080p monitor, but once I upgraded to a 4k monitor, this became an issue. This is due to the fact that some icons, images, etc. don't have Scale Factors, they always remain whatever their pixels are. This is why a Desktop Icon will appear twice as small on a 4k monitor then a 1080p monitor, because a 4k monitor has double the pixels (thus the icon is half the size). This means people need to go into their PC options and change the scaling manually.

Some games are optimized for 4k while others aren't. League of Legends and ESO are both examples that had very little support for 4k and so the chat boxes, skill icons, and most HUD/UI elements would be very small while others weren't. Over various updates and scale setting changes, it can be fixed.

Basically what I'm getting at is it's very likely that the Wayshrine Icons have a Scale Factor to them while the actual Map may not, resulting in smaller regions with seemingly bigger Wayshrine Icons that get in the way of the downsized map. I can't confirm if this is actually the case, but this has been my experience.
    Edited by Auroan on April 20, 2023 3:24AM
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
    Options
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can actually. I see the tight cluster of wayshrines just above the High Isle island on the world map and click on that with R1 and go directly.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can actually. I see the tight cluster of wayshrines just above the High Isle island on the world map and click on that with R1 and go directly.

Yeah this has never been an issue on gamepad - zone list is barely usable though, unless you love scrolling through lists for some reason.

What I wonder is, when I continue zooming in the gamepad UI (LT or RT), I eventually switch to the next level, e.g. from world map to zone, from zone to city, etc.
    Why doesn't this work for the PC UI? Why can't "zoom beyond limit" be recognized as me wanting to switch map levels? Would fix this problem easily.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to take your word for it, I can't recall ever looking at that list and I've been playing since 2016. I've always traveled by zooming/clicking on the map.
    Options