Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Quests and Consequences

Epkemon
Epkemon
Warning: Contains spoilers

Since ESO loves making us really pay for our decisions, I thought I'd make this thread here to record what happens if you pick option A over option B, and vice versa. It'd be great if y'all contributed too, with whatever information you have.

Please use this template when you make a post (unless you have a question, then nvm).
Quest:
Zone:
Options:
Results:

Quest: Crossroads
Zone: Bal Foyen
Options: Either help Captain Rana at the docks or Darj the Hunter at Fort Zeren.
Results: Helping Captain Rana at the docks will make sure she, her lieutenant from Bleakrock and the Earth-turner girl survives.
However, when you go to Fort Zeren, everyone there is dead (aside from one mourner). It's quite the carnage.
Later on, for her actions and defending the docks, Captain Rana is promoted. I don't know what happens if you pick the fort.
Choosing the Fort over the docks will allow the people there to survive, but the docks will be slaughtered in turn and Rana, her lieutenant and the Earth-turner girl will die. They are later honoured for their sacrifice in Davon's Watch (they are lying on stones northeast of the bank, almost perfectly diagonally, with the survivors in mourning around).
Edited by Epkemon on April 12, 2014 9:09PM
Do you know what it feels like to be aware of every star, every blade of grass? Yes. You do. You call it "opening your eyes again." But you do it for a moment. We have done it for eternity. No sleep, no rest, just endless... endless experience, endless awareness. Of everything. All the time. How we envy you, envy you! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds, and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!
  • Varko
    Varko
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this, really helps.
  • Furgus
    Furgus
    Indeed it does
  • MiniMaster92
    MiniMaster92
    Soul Shriven
    but there is a bug aswell. if you help her at the Docks Fort Zeren will be like undiscovered. the Fort Zeren Icon on the Map Display will stay black and you cant trigger it. Annoying for someone who want to have "Map Perfection". NOTE: It´s just a visual bug. It will not stop you to continue other Quests
  • Epkemon
    Epkemon
    but there is a bug aswell. if you help her at the Docks Fort Zeren will be like undiscovered. the Fort Zeren Icon on the Map Display will stay black and you cant trigger it. Annoying for someone who want to have "Map Perfection". NOTE: It´s just a visual bug. It will not stop you to continue other Quests

You can visit Fort Zeren beforehand though.

Do you know what it feels like to be aware of every star, every blade of grass? Yes. You do. You call it "opening your eyes again." But you do it for a moment. We have done it for eternity. No sleep, no rest, just endless... endless experience, endless awareness. Of everything. All the time. How we envy you, envy you! You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your minds, and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!
  • Epkemon
    Epkemon
    Quest: Quieting a Heart
    Zone: Stonefalls
    Options: After discovering the truth from Eanen, you can tell Bala that he was either playing with her, is buried somewhere else, or that he's waiting for her.
    Results: If you tell her that he was playing with her, she'll exclaim that it isn't true and will later kill herself (you can interact with her spirit on the road).
    If you tell her he's buried somewhere else and should move on, she, once again, says the opposite but this time says she will look for him forever (this time, also killing herself). She'll kill herself regardless of what you tell her: it's a no-win situation, so she's probably been reading Twilight or some similar crap.

Her spirit's location in Ebonheart (buried somewhere else option).
    Screenshot_20140416_170727.png
    Edited by Epkemon on April 16, 2014 3:18PM
  • Firestar_
    Firestar_
    ✭✭✭
    Epkemon wrote: »

You can visit Fort Zeren beforehand though.
    Even if you do, it does not turn the map marker white :(

Firestar - Imperial Templar - Ebonheart Pact
    Reasons-For-War - Argonian Dragonknight - Ebonheart Pact
    Pearl Winterstone - Orc Sorcerer - Ebonheart Pact
    Jerro - Dunmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Chikara
    Chikara
    When you save the fort you meet some Pact soldiers outside and they tell you that it was bad at the docks and that Captain Rana and her Lt didn't survive. I think they also say that they'll be honored as heroes or something like that
  • Epkemon
    Epkemon
    Thanks, Chikara, I've updated the OP.

Quest: This One's A Classic
    Zone: Stonefalls
    Options: A) Tell the Ancient Joke to Laughs-At-All and risk the wrath of the Mirthless Order or B) Don't tell him.
    Results: Selecting A) will, sadly, result in Laughs-At-All's demise, but in a rather humorous fashion. Not telling him let's him live.
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quest: Evacuation at of town in Bleakrock (forgot the exact name)

Zone: Bleakrock isle

Options: evacuate immediately OR continue looking for missing townsfolk

Results: any townsfolk not found before evacuation will be "dead". If you want the achievement make sure to find them all before choosing to evacuate.
  • Atheus
    Atheus
    In the Forgotten Crypts in Deshaan I was traumatized by the quest... I literally had a freak finger-twitch (this happens to me every few days or so) while clicking through a conversation just as it got to a critical decision point, and I wound up leaving the girl I was helping behind in the barricade while I went to find her husband. At the end of the quest, I learned that after I left her there the hungry people in the barricade killed her for meat. I was handed her remains as a giant bag of meat.

I almost puked. Damn whoever made that quest. The regret is pungent. For a moment I was considering my options to go back in time and redo that quest, including rebuilding the character from scratch!
  • Navhkrin
    Navhkrin
    ✭✭✭
    Atheus wrote: »
    In the Forgotten Crypts in Deshaan I was traumatized by the quest... I literally had a freak finger-twitch (this happens to me every few days or so) while clicking through a conversation just as it got to a critical decision point, and I wound up leaving the girl I was helping behind in the barricade while I went to find her husband. At the end of the quest, I learned that after I left her there the hungry people in the barricade killed her for meat. I was handed her remains as a giant bag of meat.

I almost puked. Damn whoever made that quest. The regret is pungent. For a moment I was considering my options to go back in time and redo that quest, including rebuilding the character from scratch!
    That bag has infinite uses and when eaten it makes your character show an unique animation, At first i regretted too but bag is such vanity item im now happy :pensive:
    But i really wish i saved captain rana instead :(
  • Avidus
    Avidus
    ✭✭✭
    I love the consequences, they are not game-changers but they really make you think..
    I have a bad habit of getting everybody I help killed.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    BIG SPOILER but i'll try to be vague.

One of the guild quests has a big choice at the end. Choosing option 1 will selfishly reward you with skill points and Choosing option 2 gives you nothing but a feeling that you did the right thing. However...... and this is something to keep in mind...there will be expansions!!! It may be that in the expansion option 2 will lead to a greater reward.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • dephpersonb16_ESO
    the guild quest one is complete ***. i'm *** out of 2 skill point BECAUSE i did the right thing? how the *** does this make sense. now people who are *** get an advantage.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the guild quest one is complete ***. i'm *** out of 2 skill point BECAUSE i did the right thing? how the *** does this make sense. now people who are *** get an advantage.

Doing the right thing is a reward in itself :)

Two skillpoints hardly matter in the long run, you'll get plenty of skill points anyway.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
      They should give us access to redo some quests, (have to pay of course) and wont get any experience from it.
    • Stonebreath
      Agreed. Most gamers will go towards whichever option gives them an in-game advantage. From what I've read there aren't enough skill points available in the game to max out every skill line possible which means you probably want all the skill points you can get. Totally makes the "choice" lop-sided.

I haven't gotten there yet. Do they at least tell you that one choice gives a skill point and the other doesn't? It makes me paranoid that I need to look up every choice before I do the quest which kind of sucks.
    • Kalizaar
      Kalizaar
      ✭✭✭
      It would be interesting if some of these had even further consequences. For instance, saving Rana or not, what if further down the road you get to help her with something else, otherwise some other option due to saving the fort.

Boy would it take a lot of work to have a butterfly effect on diverging quest lines based on decisions made upon decisions made... I really hope they manage to make sure rewards are of similar value even if different no matter what decisions we make. 2 skill points isn't a huge issue, but still...
    • Stonebreath
      Kalizaar wrote: »
      2 skill points isn't a huge issue, but still...
      Personally, I disagree. It's not like giving up some gear or gold reward based on your choices. You can always get more of those from other sources. There are a finite amount of skill points available in the game, and (from what I've read) you can't max out every skill line even if you have all of them. This makes giving up skill points for the sake of a quest decision a really bad call in the long run.
    • Epkemon
      Epkemon
      Guys, enough. Discussing the lack of skill points isn't the purpose of this thread, as tyrannical as I might sound now. Keep it on topic.
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Agreed. Most gamers will go towards whichever option gives them an in-game advantage. From what I've read there aren't enough skill points available in the game to max out every skill line possible which means you probably want all the skill points you can get. Totally makes the "choice" lop-sided.

I haven't gotten there yet. Do they at least tell you that one choice gives a skill point and the other doesn't? It makes me paranoid that I need to look up every choice before I do the quest which kind of sucks.

There's no reason at all to max out every skill line and you have to make choices which skills to take. That's a good thing.
      You'll always find that you don't have need for a specific skill line or even a specific skill within a line, so don't worry about losing out on a few skill points.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • AvengerDan
        AvengerDan
        ✭✭✭
        Sorry to be a bother, but its related to the Crossroads one. Is the Fort going to stay black unless I save them which has no difference to saving rana apart from Rana being the better decision. If there is a way to discover the Fort, please let me know, I want it white :/
      • Kendaric
        Kendaric
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        AvengerDan wrote: »
        Sorry to be a bother, but its related to the Crossroads one. Is the Fort going to stay black unless I save them which has no difference to saving rana apart from Rana being the better decision. If there is a way to discover the Fort, please let me know, I want it white :/

No, only by saving the fort you'll turn the marker white.
        Also, why would saving Rana be the better decision? She's obviously not a capable officer and of course I let her die because she a bloody milk-drinker.
        • bullerwjb16_ESO
          These discussions are great! They show that the developers went out of their way to put some reality into a fantasy based game; not an easy task IWI.
          An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. Big whoop. I'm spooning a Barrett 50 Cal; I could kill a building!
        • fiachsidhe
          fiachsidhe
          ✭✭✭
          I hated this quest. Because it assumes the player is an idiot. Dumb enough to believe that the Covenant invasion force is so vastly powerful, that it can march clear across EH territory without so much as a scratch.
          And that no matter where you go, the other location is completely wiped out. As if the Ebonheart Pact is so insanely weak, that even a fort falls and everyone is dead.

I chose the docks because strategically a dock is more valuable and less protected. Little did I know that the quest text is utterly pointless, and the fort is apparently just as open and undefended.

Such a lazy, and uninspired "hard choice" design.
          Don't have an intelligent argument? Just LOL a post!

Dire Crow - Ebonheart Pact - Dunmer Nightblade
        • Blackhorne
          Blackhorne
          ✭✭✭✭
          AvengerDan wrote: »

The black/white doesn't mean undiscovered/discovered. If you've discovered the location, the icon will remain on your map even when you're far away from it, but it may still be black.

White icons are for locations at which you've completed all quests. That's why Fort Zeren is black if you choose the docks -- you didn't complete the quest to save them.
        • AvengerDan
          AvengerDan
          ✭✭✭
          Is there a difference for Through the Aftermath, where you either enslave the souls or free them. I'd have thought freeing them be the better decision but is there anything different for going either way?
        • Captainkrunch96
          Captainkrunch96
          ✭✭✭
          I saved Rana. I really don't know why but I like how you meet them a few times later in stonefalls(have not seen them in Deshaan).
        • Axer
          Axer
          ✭✭✭✭
          Yea I really enjoy these choices and consequences too. (a lot more then the regular dialog, to the point I often skip thru it dialogs completely - less I find one of these - then I exit out and restart the conv to actaully listen and see what may be the best choice if the its one of those quests).

But I think it would be even more fun if they had REAL impacts on your character:,

EG: Different quest rewards depending on your choice. (This may be the case for some already, not sure, don't think so from the few I tested tho). Less xp/gold for evil choices (again this may be the case on some, but not early ones that I tested from beta). Or maybe some fairly powerful buffs for the "good" choices, while you get more gold/xp for the evil ones. (EG say +10% health/stam/mana for 1 hour vs +25% gold/xp).

(and make the differences in rewards a bit obvious, maybe mainly story text, or just an obvious indicator). (Which can be hidden by default for all those silly immersion players)

And in more cases: the entire game world.

EG: in the case where you save people from dungeons or whatever: They then show up in town if you saved them (maybe as a bonus vendor). Or if not, you get a generic vendor instead (just to avoid issues like says you in a group and your friend says: Hey here is the vendor, talk to this guy - and hes not on your screen.)

They obviously have the tech for this since many areas undergo massive changes upon completed the areas related quest(s).. Yet it seems regardless of your choices, the changes are (almost) always the same. (Quest where you had an option to kill someone or let them live, generally won't have them show up in town permanently if you let them live).

(And yea that first quest with captain rana dying or not is an example of that, but past that I don't think they do that anymore. and she doesn't become a vendor you regularly interact with, just a rarely seen quest-addon npc. I didn't really notice her much and I purposely looked, as I choose to save the fort in beta, so live I purposely did the opposite and saved her.)

Also would like to see these things in group dungeons. There are some "reded-out choices, intimidate and pursuasion options in 1 dungeon quest I remember (selenes web), but even tho I intimdate the last npc and said she deserved to die, we still never got to fight her, so pretty sure the outcomes of that is the same regardless of choices. (especially obvious given the fact everyone seems able to talk at the same time, and being we are grouped - things cant be phased individually - so they'd have to properly locked down the conversion to the leader-only or first-person only for this to work correctly).

Also love that you can't go back. No savescumming like in skyrim to see what the best choice was. Decisions have a lot more feels and impact when they are permanent on a character you invested a lot in. (Just did one for the final line the rift and resulted in someone dying, was a prety cool moment since I had no way of knowing if my decision will have longer lasting consequences or if it was truely the "good" choice. I hope so.
          Edited by Axer on April 12, 2014 4:45AM
          Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
        • Runhent
          Runhent
          ✭✭✭
          Quest: This One’s a Classic
          Zone: Stonefalls, Kragenmoor
          Options: Tell Laughs-at-All the Joke or Keep the Joke from Laughs-at-All
          Results:
          Tell Laughs-at-All the Joke: the poor Argonian vaporized (found here).
          Keep the Joke from Laughs-at-All:
          NrngUrz.jpg
          And all the Dark Elves and others who came to hear Laughs-at-All's joke went away.
          Edited by Runhent on April 13, 2014 1:58PM
          Gilryne Telvanni, at your service.
          EU | Ebonheart Pact | ElderScrolls.Net & RuESO