The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

...Was Cyrodiil Worth It?

• dem0n1k
    dem0n1k
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil gameplay & guild vs guild battles are my best times in ESO. So, my vote is totally worth it :D
    If it wasn't for this PVP mode, I would have got bored & left ESO not long after One Tamriel dropped.
    Sure, it's not without it's issues, especially as an Oceanic player, much lag, such rubber-banding.
    NA Server [PC] -- Mostly Ebonheart Pact, Mostly.
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When it works and there is a full pop, Cyrodiil is the most fun thing to do in this game at least for me.

ZOS should focus on improving the servers so that everyone can experience how much fun Cyrodiil can be.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why what is a fraction of content gets so much "balance".

I think the areas should be completely separate. With different rules for each suited to the different purposes of each.
    ZOS is trying to make both happy and failing.

In PVE no one (or mostly no one) complains if you and your build are great at killing monsters. In PVP other players are the monsters and they object if they think you and your build is unfairly killing them. I don't know how that can be balanced. It has an inherent conflict.

In some situations particularly in cyro the imbalance isnt always the game but the player... At least it appears that way sometimes =p
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the question is, would more people play eso if pvp never existed?

Personaly i really dislike pvp in this game, and if i do it i'm the healer.

The constant stun fest and ganking nightblades it's just annoying to me.

Let's think about it.

No pvp means = better balance.
    Full cyrodil to do pve on.
    And this time wasted fixing the game so cyrodil can work would be spend on pve.
    also...more sets we could use, because again pvp doesn't exist so there's no pvp sets.
    Edited by francesinhalover on August 11, 2022 10:59PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Faded
    Faded
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the areas should be completely separate. With different rules for each suited to the different purposes of each.

In PVE no one (or mostly no one) complains if you and your build are great at killing monsters. In PVP other players are the monsters and they object if they think you and your build is unfairly killing them. I don't know how that can be balanced. It has an inherent conflict.

In PVE, Molag Kena, Domihaus, and the coalition of trial bosses complains to the Devs whenever power creep gets too high.

Then the PVEers are shocked, just shocked, when their DPS gets nerfed.

And everyone likes to conveniently forget that ESO has horizontal progression, which means that your builds would still get nerfed if the game was PVE-only.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 12, 2022 12:30AM
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play both PvE and PvP, but lean more heavily towards PvE, and I love Cyrodiil. Because I'm not super competitive in PvP, even the lag doesn't bother me... it's only the disconnects, when I miss out on credit for an epic battle or become out of sync and location with my friends, that really upset me.

I also am not sure Cyrodiil or even PvE or PvP is solely or mostly to blame for the game's issues today. Yes, loud voices complain about this but often it's ZOS failing to come up with nuanced solutions that COULD address both PvE and PvP and, on the PvE side, there's an issue with content creators not syncing up with the combat team.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with all it’s problems, Cyrodiil is the best part of this game. Yes, ZOS keeps making it less and less fun by not fixing the performance issues, reducing group size, not addressing long standing bugs like stuck in combat and 49,710 day debuffs, and continually introducing radical, gameplay altering sets. But there is nothing else quite like it available at this point.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If Cyrodiil is a sin, then I'm an unrepentant sinner.

Went from a pure pve player to doing both pve and pvp because I find cyro and the intense fort sieges delightful, even if cyro has its problems.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on August 12, 2022 12:57AM
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Even with all it’s problems, Cyrodiil is the best part of this game. Yes, ZOS keeps making it less and less fun by not fixing the performance issues, reducing group size, not addressing long standing bugs like stuck in combat and 49,710 day debuffs, and continually introducing radical, gameplay altering sets. But there is nothing else quite like it available at this point.

There isn't but Cyrodiil does need a lot of work from making more friendly for none PVPers so they can get the Sky shards and missions there done to performance improvements and allowing large groups of players that want to participate to do so.
    And personally, I don't see any of these happening at all as they didn't just simply put the carriage in front of the horse, they threw it into Jupiter's orbit then grabbed the horse and threw the poor thing clear to Alpha Centauri, basically the two will never meet and the issues won't be resolved till they stop putting content and purely focus on the issues and actually fix them all and correct the problems.
    Me being a non PVPer shouldn't have sky shards and missions locked behind PVP and told to accept the bulling sexual acts that Arnt needed and the abuse no matter just to appease a small group of the community. If that is the case, then PVP of any kind needs be banned outside Cyrodiil and I don't see that happening either for the stated reasons.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a big pvp player. I am trying to do it more as there isn't much for my main to do now. I just seem to pick all the wrong times as either the map is already flipped to my faction or it is being taking back by the other two. Defensive groups rarely seem to exist. When groups are going on and I can get into one, I do tend to have some fun.

Cyrodiil is worth it, however. Without the conflict there, the faction story lines do not make sense. I am glad that the game was built that way. The story doesn't send you to Cyrodiil to pvp but it does lend itself to indicating that pvp is the intended "end game" content.

It is better than just tacking on an arena or battleground and just having players fight players without a story reason for it. Sure it could be said that warriors on the same side would fight each other as a form of practice. But put that into perspective for the game... "Hey guys, lets fight each other in the arena so we can get better at fighting the NPCs". Doesn't really work that way.

Only completionists really need to worry about sky shards and "clearing the map". There are enough skill points / sky shards in all the PvE zones that one can avoid all the PvP sky shards / skill points and still have plenty to unlock all the passives in every skill line and more active / ultimate skills than can be slotted.

Each to their own. I just hope that the various patches do not scare away the pvp players so that there are groups to join and to fight when I do have the time and decide to give Cyrodiil a shot.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is the best part of this game. For me, anyway. :)
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    I've been lurking through these discussions, and I've noticed a trend in the complaints. More than a few posters suggest that the mechanical issues facing ESO are caused, in large part, by Cyrodiil. Specifically the need to "balance" pvp in Cyrodiil, or even just to reduce the incessant lag for which it's become infamous.

For ages and across many MMORPGs PvE has blamed PvP and PvP has blamed PvE for "balance" changes. ESO is no different as this is a very easy retort when changes are made that players disagree with.

Beyond that, Cyrodill is very important to the game as any successful MMORPG with a PvE focus also has PvP as one of the many different activities available. It is almost litterally a required part of the game.

• Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    balance issues is not really to do with pvp though, its to do with the lack of separation of the 2 modes when making balancing changes. battle spirit has been there for ages, but never truly taken advantage of when designing sets/skills etc.
    They are finally starting to balance separately and you are seeing it in sets like rallying cry, empower etc.

As for lag, it is 100% a server hardware issue. We have all seen the performance improve during every mid year mayhem event, despite there being 10 times as many players in cyrodiil/IC during the events, when they rent additional servers, and the immediate performance improvements that occurred when PC NA got their new servers, so that problem is on them to get on with fixing for everyone.

So 100% it is worth it, it is insanely fun to play when it works and when balance for the mode is done properly and in such a way as to not affect pve as well.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm another confirmed PvE player who loves both Cyrodiil and the Imperial City. I've been getting better at engaging in actual PvP, as opposed to just doing PvE in a PvP zone, but I doubt I'll ever be more interested in PvP than in PvE. Nevertheless, I'd be sad if Cyrodiil and the Imperial City were either removed from the game entirely or replaced with PvE versions.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why there exists a divide between PVP and PVE. Chance are, if a player is good at PVP, they will also be good at PVE and vice versa. It is quite literally the same game with the same mechanics. A bad change is just a bad change - it rarely has anything to do with one mode or the other (and more often than not, it is bad for both).
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    I don't understand why there exists a divide between PVP and PVE. Chance are, if a player is good at PVP, they will also be good at PVE and vice versa. It is quite literally the same game with the same mechanics. A bad change is just a bad change - it rarely has anything to do with one mode or the other (and more often than not, it is bad for both).

The issue between PVP and PVE started when the PVP community started blaming the PVE community for all the things wrong with the PVP community and PVP game play, that is where the divide really started to happen and has only gotten worse over time is it the whole PVP community that does it no just a select few but it had a massive impact on relations.
    Performance in Cyrodiill has been a major issue since the games launch of it, the fact the game was built on you pic a faction and stick with it was done away with the Imperial edition of the game and since then any race any alliance and such doesn't help the situation at all.
    At the same time many PVE players are in general tired of content in Cyrodiill and in the Imperial city to include the sky shards and collections and armor being locked away from theme, then told they are not wanted because they don't PVP and then have those same PVPers go into PVE content and PVP there, and again get told deal with it they run the game and such doesn't help either.
    All and all there blame enough on both sides for what has happened to the PVP content at the moment and the PVE content at the moment both from within the community and from the company itself and staff. Unfortunately there is really no way to mend what has happened till both sides sit down and apologize for what was allowed to happen and for what was said and for broken promises made. Till that happens not much headway will be made to mend old wounds and make the community calm and inviting again for both new PVP players and the PVE player bases.
  • R1234
    R1234
    Soul Shriven
    Personally I don’t think it’s worth it. The large scale PvP is OK, but building the world around Three Banners war and sacrificing Cyrodiil to PvP strikes me as waste of totally good storytelling.

The large scale PvP aspect could be done with e.g. large-scale tourney of Boethiah instead where three sides vie for dominance, or as tale of three competing mercenaries campaigns peddling their service to the different rulers at the edge of the world, or whatever. Neither of those would take a popular province, nor stymie the storytelling by the presence of static, futile three-sided wars that presents extra narrative hurdles with next to no playthrough.

TL;DR: I don’t mind PvP being in game, but I feel that it could have been easily done with the expense of far less narrative resources.
  • gameswithaspoon
    gameswithaspoon
    ✭✭✭
    Not making this a poll since this is a complicated question.

In light of this I have to ask: was centering the entire game around a 3 way faction war in the empire's largest province a good idea? Has it been worth it?

Rewind to 2014. Is this what people wanted from an Elder Scrolls MMO? Is this, by and large, what the fanbase was begging for? Personally, I was just kind of confused by the decision.

And yet, everything else in the game, from the factions, to the story, to the starter zones, was built around this feature.

But that's just my opinion, from a primarily pve player, who would pvp more often were it not for Cyrodiil. What do you think?

As a pvp-er who has played pvp in multiple MMOs, ESOs pvp scene has remained viable far longer than every other MMO I've ever played.

The problem with every other MMO that focuses on arena and small match based PVP (like Battlegrounds) is that eventually those modes kill themselves through attrition. Pre-mades become too good versus the rest of the population and then one night even those premades sit in a que for six hours without a fight. Cyrodiil is large enough and fluid enough that it has so far avoided that fate.

People forget how incredibly popular Cyrodiil in fact was at launch and for some time after. As the population has shrunk, individuals and groups have more of an impact, and so egos get in the way a lot now. And so many MMOs have launched and failed after ESO- so there is something unique in what ESO offers.
    Spoon-no-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Templar AD BWB
    Spoon-ware-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Stamplar AD Bahlokdaan
    Guild Leader Imperium of the Eagle Ravenwatch NA-PC
    Takes Drive-Thru Orders for This is a Wendy's.
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not making this a poll since this is a complicated question.
    So I obviously have my own opinions on why the game is in the state its in (which I'll spare you from in this post) but one issue you all keep bringing up is Cyrodiil itself.

I've been lurking through these discussions, and I've noticed a trend in the complaints. More than a few posters suggest that the mechanical issues facing ESO are caused, in large part, by Cyrodiil. Specifically the need to "balance" pvp in Cyrodiil, or even just to reduce the incessant lag for which it's become infamous.

In light of this I have to ask: was centering the entire game around a 3 way faction war in the empire's largest province a good idea? Has it been worth it?

Rewind to 2014. Is this what people wanted from an Elder Scrolls MMO? Is this, by and large, what the fanbase was begging for? Personally, I was just kind of confused by the decision.

And yet, everything else in the game, from the factions, to the story, to the starter zones, was built around this feature.

Fast forward to 2022. Cyrodiil's lag is legendary, entire playstyles feel useless, it's hard for new players to integrate, it barely feels like a factor in the story, and yet the game is still being balanced around this massive pvp mode that no one asked for.

That last bit may be a little harsh, as I know Cyrodiil has its fans, but if ZOS cant balance this mode, or even get it working sometimes, then all I can do is sit and wonder why they thought this is what an Elder Scrolls MMO needed in the first place, instead of focusing on more thematically appropriate features.

For me anyway, Cyrodiil has become this game's original sin. I would've been happy with arena pvp and some specific, lore-appropriate battlegrounds. Instead they pushed the franchise in a direction no one asked for, contriving 3 factions that barely make sense to fight over some generic farmland, and they didn't even do it well.

But that's just my opinion, from a primarily pve player, who would pvp more often were it not for Cyrodiil. What do you think?

@psychotrip This is neither complicated nor a question. This is you trying to find someone to blame. You are starting to realise that barking directly at ZOS is not working, because they do not listen to their customers. So you attack the next best thing. The players standing next to you. Or whatever you can think of next. It is a common mechanism, but it is useless and counterproductive. Focus and think about it. May the force be with you.
  • daniel.13b16_ESO
    daniel.13b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and I love Imperial City too.

A lot fo the advertising of the game was based aroudn the three faction war, as was the main CGI trailer. This is literally the reason a lot started playing in the first place.

Cyrodiil and IC are my endgame. I play chapters, do dungeons on vet but have never stepped foot in a trial. I love Cyro as it was designed, which also includes the PVE aspect.

I do wish it would receive a coat of paint to change it up as we have been fighting for the same keeps for years now. Maybe a daecric cataclysm could change some of the landscape and keep design?
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil was the original end game content. It used to be glorious. It will be really interesting to see what it looks like after U35 drops tomorrow.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil was the original end game content. It used to be glorious. It will be really interesting to see what it looks like after U35 drops tomorrow.

It will be pure profit for me. I'm taking time off work to farm the broken PvP sets.

But not the first day. We know the first day is mostly down time.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Gotta stop you there with that last paragraph.

The monsters in PvE might not get mad that you kill them so quickly but ZOS apparently does get mad - hence all of the blanket nerfs to damage in this upcoming patch.
  • Waylander07
    Waylander07
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would not be here if not for the pvp. Some of my best gaming experiences have been in Cyrodiil, there is nothing like defending a keep against superior numbers and somehow managing to win after a long drawn-out fight.
    Unfortunately the performance issues and poor game management with the constant merry-go-round of buff's and nerfs is ruining something that promised so much and pretty much delivered in the early years though there were still problems.
    ESOs PVP has no real competition where players face of in mass battles which is why some of us keep playing in the hope that they will fix the worst problems before the pvp side dies completely.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without Cyrodiil, the Game would not have made it beyond Orsinium, not even speaking of One Tamriel.

PvE Guys tend to forget in what state the game was in the beginning. I can clearly remember that only mass PvP and Hardcore Elder Scrolls players kept it alive for quite a while. Even MMOs that have been forgotten long ago were serious competitors back then and the PvE guys in general found ESO rather lackluster.
    Edited by Thraben on December 13, 2022 6:17PM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If not for cyrodiil I would have played this like a single player RPG. I would have done the story, enjoyed the expanded TES lore, then bailed to play other games. I would probably come back for a few days for new content and that’s it.

I stayed for the pvp. The siege mechanics, the huge open world battles, the friendships and rivalries I developed in those first months. That’s why I immersed in communities, the economy, and end game pve content. Without cyrodiil, far fewer players would have stuck around for the first year.

Yes, cyrodiil was worth it, and deserved (and deserves) better than the devs have given it.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only ever played this game for the PvP combat, which they ruined, so I no longer play or spend money.

If they fix the combat I'll gladly return as a paying customer.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a lot of us would never have played ESO if it were not for Cyrodiil PvP.

Yes I agree with this. I wouldn't be playing ESO without Cyro.