The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I fake tank

• pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you fake tank or heal, without some kind of taunt or heal, I will kick you and we will manage without your [snip]

I have heal options and tank options on all my characters that do dungeons. It takes a little preparation, but means I can take over a role, if needs.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on July 7, 2022 1:17PM
    Options
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a top 1% parser, but I can parse a solid 90k. And to be honest most people who play this game can't even parse 50k+. If I were to honestly tank with the group doing 15k damage altogether then dungeons would take FOREVER. When I fake tank, I end up doing like 70-80% of the group's damage and we finish the dungeon in under 10 minutes. If anything, I am doing the other people in the group a favor. I suggest Random normal dungeons 4 people can queue up regardless of role because they are so easy anyway.

Used to be able to que as all 3 roles, or two etc. I wonder why the devs had it set that way? People who were equipped to do the thing fulfilled their role, and people who faked/bads got kicked or carried through the dungeon. The power levels and dps were much smaller then, and lack of dps meant you couldn't beat vet engine guardian without stopping for a meal lol.
    It's quite the opposite now, especially in normal. Mythics and gear greatly empower players like never before, how could anyone expect a different result? Why do the more difficult/time consuming job for nearly the same reward?

If a real tank got gold/compensation to repair their gear and patience after each random dungeon, you would probably find many more of them in the que. They are not motivated to do so, and the reality is a tank can dump a bad group and be back in action much faster than said bad group. That's about the only shining light left in pugs for actual tanks looking to do the job and have fun in a reasonable amount of time.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
    Options
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Hello!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting. It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what your justification is, but I can tell you that, 'I do more DPS, so the rules don't apply to me' is probably one of the worst reasons I've heard.

You're not doing anywhere near that amount of damage without a stationary target, debuffs from a tank and buffs from a healer, so how are you doing the other players a favor when all of you are chasing singular mobs around the room because simply because you have this inflated idea of your own skill?

As another poster stated earlier: It's absolutely obnoxious and you know it. You people make dungeons suck for everyone else. I ditch fake tanks on principle.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"
    Options
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posts like this come up every now and then. From my experience when I queue up as tank or healer, it's rare for both DPS to be... how can I say this... rubbish. In the past when this happens I would just use the alphagear addon to change stuff around to be more DPS oriented while still fulfilling my role. This has become even easier for me with the armory assistant.

In all seriousness this post comes off as someone who wants to justify skipping the line and no one likes line skippers. As others have mentioned, if you slot a taunt so aggro is on you while you parse then none will care, but if I wait in queue to DPS and boss aggro keeps coming on me then a kick you shall receive.

This post would've been more interesting if you made it solely about the last part, which has been suggested in the past by others. First off I completely disagree that all random normals should not account for roles, since on normal people are still learning. Instead ZOS should have an alternative random normal queue where as you say, 4 people can pop in regardless of role. In this way everyone can be happy.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    Options
  • prof_doom
    prof_doom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have high standards for random groups.

If you taunt things and don't die, then you're tanking.
    If you fail at those, you should be kicked from group if you're flagged as tank.

Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't have taunt I don't give a damn what your numbers are you are a problem for me as a healer. Trash mobs don't ask your parse numbers before they attack me.

This 100% this. Fake tanks just make everyone’s life more difficult so they can queue quicker.
    Options
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if you have a decent health pool, taunt, and block when you have to, I dont think most people would care (in normal and non-achievement seeking vet dungeons).

Except that is an actual tank. If you taunt and block you are being a tank, not a fake tank. Might not be an ideal tank, but you're still filling the role. Fake tanks don't do any of that - they just go in and DPS away without any concern for what the role requires.
    Options
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    I am not a top 1% parser, but I can parse a solid 90k. And to be honest most people who play this game can't even parse 50k+. If I were to honestly tank with the group doing 15k damage altogether then dungeons would take FOREVER. When I fake tank, I end up doing like 70-80% of the group's damage and we finish the dungeon in under 10 minutes. If anything, I am doing the other people in the group a favor. I suggest Random normal dungeons 4 people can queue up regardless of role because they are so easy anyway.

Most times i agree people are just looking to get the daily done asap and burn through it.

BUT there are no doubt times (I've been among them more than once) where someone in the group is interested in running the dungeon properly and enjoying the quest and fights (maybe its their first time, they are trying to learn a new role/spec, or they want something from a side-boss), then your dragging people along at your speed regardless of what they would prefer.

Without a pre-made group or separate queue's i don't see how to fix, but there are two sides to seeing this sort of thing.
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You should consider that not everyone started playing this years ago and that not everyone wishes to rush from start to end.
    The "doing a favor" argument won't make your behavior acceptable.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I fake tank for the Lulz
    Options
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a basic dungeon, esp a normal, I don't care what you actually do as tank as long as you taunt stuff, especially bosses. If you aren't doing that, you are letting people tank that didn't sign up for it when they get aggro (often the healer b/c of how aggro works).
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
    Options
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have taunt I don't give a damn what your numbers are you are a problem for me as a healer. Trash mobs don't ask your parse numbers before they attack me.

I 100% agree that if a person is going to "fake tank" they should slot and keep taunt on any boss mobs. I do not think it's necessary to keep taunt on trash mobs though.

In most dungeons trash mobs are usually CC'ed and a priority add will be taunted. In normal dungeons this becomes even less if an issue. Simply outheal the damage and use some AoE abilities.
    Sarannah wrote: »
    The only reason a fake tank seems to do all the DPS on the DPS meters, is because they run ahead and attack everything before others can. Queueing as a fake role just means you feel yourself more important than the three other players you get paired up with.
    You are not doing those three players a favor, as they miss out on loot and exp from the dungeon. And if you happen to get a DLC dungeon, or if they kick you, they have to wait out yet another queue because some a..... skipped the line.

If you are a DPS, queue as DPS. And ZOS needs to fix the fake role queueing somehow. There have been plenty of examples given over the years on how to fix this.

PS: As a tank I practically never had any problems with low DPS players. If players do low DPS, ninety-nine out of a hundred times the tank is at fault.
    PPS: I have experienced fake tanks myself, and their DPS is mostly terrible, despite their claims.
    PPPS: The only reason fake tanks aren't kicked instantly, is because waiting AGAIN for a real tank takes too long. Don't take players tolerating fake tanks temporarily, as approval.

While i agree that fake tanks usually have low dps I've seen plenty of fake tanks pull their weight with DPS and it wasn't because they were running ahead.

As long as taunt is held it doesn't matter what the player in the Tank role is wearing. An argument can be made about CC'ing mobs but let's be real; I've seen more 40k HP real tanks that do not CC anything than I've seen fake tanks.

Also, how can a Tank be responsible for low dps? That doesn't make sense to me. The only reason a player is hitting less than 10k in a normal dungeon is because they aren't using their skills properly. No amount of buff sets can increase their damage to reasonable levels.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, how can a Tank be responsible for low dps? That doesn't make sense to me. The only reason a player is hitting less than 10k in a normal dungeon is because they aren't using their skills properly. No amount of buff sets can increase their damage to reasonable levels.

Or they're not using optimal sets, or no sets at all, or their enchants are odd, or they're still pre-CP 160 or even sub-50. They won't bother to upgrade their gear properly because they'll soon out-level it so they run with whatever drops for now.
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Buffing DPS player's DPS with sets, is not what I do. That barely works, if it even works at all. Tactics play a major role in how to increase DPS.
    Players can't DPS when they have aggro, tank's fault. Players can't DPS when they are dead, tank's fault(except for one-shots). Players can't DPS when the group is not complete, tank's fault(most often). Players do lower DPS when the group is not buffed or a boss target is not debuffed, mostly tank's fault(depends on class). Players do low DPS when they are out of resources, tank's fault.

Quite often when I tank I see people actually learning how a real tank deals with things, and learning how they should respond to that. Like when a DPS gets aggro, the DPS run in circles when that happens(as they are used to fake tanks), with a real tank they can run to the tank to help them( I range taunt immediately even if they don't ). The DPS usually notices this on the first few trash packs when I tank. This is also why after a few packs, I see DPS skyrocket. As the DPS learns they are (mostly) safe, they start standing still and start focussing on their rotation.
    Or I can see the healer carefully staying at a distance the first packs and first boss(like they do on fake tanks), but after they notice I control the room, they start standing really close. And mostly even completely switch to their DPS offspec, as I am a selfishly build tank(high selfsurvival), and the other DPS are safe from harm. This causes me to do most dungeons with basically one tank and three DPS, while everyone actually queue'd for their real role.
    Before engaging a boss, I always wait 5 seconds if the group requires it. This does wonders for the group's resources, as even the worst DPS player will be able to use some skills again. You can notice players are out of resources, or low on resources, when they start heavy attacking or barely use any skills. Just check this on the last trashgroup before a boss.
    There are some more tricks, but these are most important.

If a good tank controls the run, the run is most often very smooth. There is absolutely no need for fake roles to exist, and therefor I feel ZOS should fix the fake role abuse in the dungeonfinder.

PS: Not every dungeonrun works out, and in extremely rare cases the DPS really is low with no improvement. But this has been the case in less than 1% of the runs for me.
    PPS: As a player who is against kicking others, I barely ever kick anyone, even when other players initiate the vote kick. More often than not, it is the player initiating the vote to kick who was the issue. This I have often noticed after they leave when their vote to kick someone fails to go through. (These players usually blame low CP players for no reason.)
    Edited by Sarannah on July 7, 2022 8:29PM
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, there's nothing stopping you from slotting inner fire for a taunt there, just saying... If I queue with my dps for a random normal as a tank, I always slot a taunt to make sure that unsuspecting people in the PUG won't get aggro. Besides, if the boss aggroes on a newbie that ends up kiting it to Narnia, then it's less dmg since the boss moves away from the ground DOTs, so having taunt on my dps enables better control of the fight, and a faster fight in general. You could try that too.
    Edited by Jaimeh on July 7, 2022 8:35PM
    Options
  • Thysbe
    Thysbe
    ✭✭
    fake tanks are a heavy burden on group DPS - no stack and burn, the need of boss kiting, lack of Debuffs on bosses, no decent use od AOE Effecs possible - thats whats coming along with it

I always queue as DD since I neither heal nor tank - I don´t care about your CP, class, race or your max life but if I see you dont taunt the first boss I vote for kick - if it is refused I leave the group
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a tank and once queued for Depths of Malalalalatar. As soon as I ported in someone asked if I had a taunt. For a moment I was insulted, but then it occurred to me fake tanks are a thing and that person probably had a bad time with them. In that same dungeon (I can't remember if it was the same run, though), we had a fake healer and almost didn't manage to beat that obnoxious ball of hatred boss. On normal. I don't remember having any complaints towards damage output, except that you kind of need to be alive to have any.

To lighten the mood a bit, I'll add the funny story of having once grouped with a fake DPS.... as in tank who queued as DPS and actually tanked. That made my job a bit harder, as the bosses bounced between the two of us as if we were playing a game of taunt Pong. I asked the player not to taunt and, as it turned out, they were just inexperienced at dungeons. I do regret not talking to the person afterwards to give some basic tips.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    Options
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tank normals sometimes on my orc healer for the fun of it. But he's a DK healer with caltrops, combat prayer, some resto shields, barrier and a taunt. Started because I'd pack a taunt because of the plague of totally fake tanks and then became a habit because all to often the only way to get an actual healer and tank is just be both.

Personally I've got no problem with someone doing the role however they build and whatever they build so long as they can do it. If hotshot 100K sorc wants to tank, can taunt, not die and dps then great. Turning the trash into smoking piles is a pretty good way to avoid taking damage after all.

Funniest one we did by accident was running hybrid as DPS with a guildmate running his PVP toon as tank. When he couldn't quite cope with the harder content we got on the RND we swapped over tank and dps positions and totally confused the other two folk.
    Too many toons not enough time
    Options
  • svendf
    svendf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I somehow laughed at this storry. Not to be evil or bad towards you OP. You see my healer hate fake tanks and a few replys have already made it clear to you, why (maybe you learned something).

Three options coms to mind I use.

1 wote kick

2 If it fails to kick. Leave.

3 Sometimes my favor. Stay dead until I get kicked or the other team members finds out why I decline rezz. After all I started the wote kick.

So it´s you or me, who goes.

Regarding dps. It´s new to me you can taunt using dps. I will rather put it this way. You kill whatever you have to kill before you take the bite and bite the dust.

With the healer dead in the dust after standing up to the mobs and boss ( you see, you can´t run away from a agro). You can try to kill, what you have to kill with vigor.

I have seen it too often go wrong

Good hunting OP xD

It´s about time ZOS is doing something and put this to an end.

Edited by svendf on July 8, 2022 1:15AM
    Options
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reasons to fake tank:

reason #0: there aren't any. <snip>

<snipped due to Inappropriate Language>
    Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on July 8, 2022 1:47AM
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
    Options
  • Jpk0012
    Jpk0012
    ✭✭✭✭

If you don't have taunt and the boss is ping ponging you're a detriment to your group. Lots of people have 70K+ dps. You're just lying to yourself to justify your selfish behavior.

Also, if I have a fake tank I stop healing. Funny, how everyone will then blame me for them dying instead of the selfish guy who wants to brag about his dps.

If I sign on as a dps and want to get a fast group I slot a taunt. Don't think we can't do content quickly without you. We can. I've been doing it for many years now.
    Edited by Jpk0012 on July 8, 2022 2:40AM
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly say, high damage fake tank will be OK for me.
    (but only for normal dungeon farming, no thanks for Vet)

Because we can use those type of player just like BFG9000 cannon.
    Can finish the mission so first without second phase of boss combat. :)

Worst case is low damage fragile fake tank or player.
    I don't want to revive those players.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • Sync01
    Sync01
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I've had many issues with fake tanks in random normals, in fact I can only remember a handful of times when there's been a tank who didn't even have taunt.

My main issue with fake tanks is the idea of a fake tank (or a fake healer) as someone who doesn't do things perfectly. Tanks, especially new ones, will probably lose taunt at some point or die to not blocking/roll dodging but because it's more noticeable when a tank messed up compared to a dd, they take all the heat. Tanks are not fake tanks just because they didn't manage to taunt everything in time before the dds ran in. There seems to be an idea that both tanks and healers are supposed to instantly good at their roles and very little slack is given for mistakes.

Of course if you queue as a tank and don't have a taunt, a healer and don't have any heals or a dd and don't have any damage abilities then yeah sure. But please stop the calling others fake tanks or fake healers as soon as something goes wrong.
    Options
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give tanks some danged ol damage skills and let tanks help with dmg.
    There was no reason to make power slam a DD skill, they should've just scaled with with max health and get it over with.
    I'm not saying a tank should hit 30k dps, but maybe giving them something would reduce the amount of fake tanks and make support roles actually fun.
    If you're a DD and you don't think tanks should have any sort of damage skills, then feel free to stop blocking and roll dodging because those are tank things.
    Options
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Buffing DPS player's DPS with sets, is not what I do. That barely works, if it even works at all. Tactics play a major role in how to increase DPS.
    Players can't DPS when they have aggro, tank's fault. Players can't DPS when they are dead, tank's fault(except for one-shots). Players can't DPS when the group is not complete, tank's fault(most often). Players do lower DPS when the group is not buffed or a boss target is not debuffed, mostly tank's fault(depends on class). Players do low DPS when they are out of resources, tank's fault.

Quite often when I tank I see people actually learning how a real tank deals with things, and learning how they should respond to that. Like when a DPS gets aggro, the DPS run in circles when that happens(as they are used to fake tanks), with a real tank they can run to the tank to help them( I range taunt immediately even if they don't ). The DPS usually notices this on the first few trash packs when I tank. This is also why after a few packs, I see DPS skyrocket. As the DPS learns they are (mostly) safe, they start standing still and start focussing on their rotation.
    Or I can see the healer carefully staying at a distance the first packs and first boss(like they do on fake tanks), but after they notice I control the room, they start standing really close. And mostly even completely switch to their DPS offspec, as I am a selfishly build tank(high selfsurvival), and the other DPS are safe from harm. This causes me to do most dungeons with basically one tank and three DPS, while everyone actually queue'd for their real role.
    Before engaging a boss, I always wait 5 seconds if the group requires it. This does wonders for the group's resources, as even the worst DPS player will be able to use some skills again. You can notice players are out of resources, or low on resources, when they start heavy attacking or barely use any skills. Just check this on the last trashgroup before a boss.
    There are some more tricks, but these are most important.

If a good tank controls the run, the run is most often very smooth. There is absolutely no need for fake roles to exist, and therefor I feel ZOS should fix the fake role abuse in the dungeonfinder.

PS: Not every dungeonrun works out, and in extremely rare cases the DPS really is low with no improvement. But this has been the case in less than 1% of the runs for me.
    PPS: As a player who is against kicking others, I barely ever kick anyone, even when other players initiate the vote kick. More often than not, it is the player initiating the vote to kick who was the issue. This I have often noticed after they leave when their vote to kick someone fails to go through. (These players usually blame low CP players for no reason.)

As long as I’m not screaming “get it off me” while I’m running DPS role (bosses and trouble adds- ie overchargers, trash is non issue, they burn either way), you’re doing your job. Drop taunt once or twice, that’s fine, that happens.
    I don’t care about the buffs/ debuffs and every other minuscule thing that tanks are “expected” to bring to a dungeon, what I do care about is: hold the boss in place. Redirect problematic attacks AWAY from group. Overchargers and similar adds- grab them, hold them, so we can burn them, the trash mobs can wait until those ones are gone.

End of the day, DPS do no damage when they’re dead. DPS is not going to increase when the boss is fanging about like a frisbee on roids because there’s no taunt going on.

(So all your points, no arguements from me ❤️ Good tanks keep DPS safe, so the healer can heal the tank, so the tank can keep on tanking).
    Options
  • Nemezijus
    Nemezijus
    ✭✭✭
    People queue as fake tanks/healers to cut queues on group finder. Period.
    They don't do it because they feel very altruistic and join a random group to carry other group members.

If you want to do "fake role" just form a group with guild mates, or use zone chats in major cities. Everyone in the group will be happy because they know what they signed up for. I see a lot of "3dd run" "4dd run" groups for randoms in zone/guild chats.

You're not doing any favors to anyone but yourself by faking tank role in random groups.
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So long as you hold taunt, I don't care what else you do. But if you queue as tank you're saying that's the role you'll fulfil which is at an absolute minimum is holding taunt, so do it. If you want to carry the group and do only dps, queue as dps.
    Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good DPS with a taunt = Great random normal tank

Anyone in tank role who refuses to slot a taunt = Instant kick

No amount of DPS you contribute is going to make up for the boss running all over the place and killing group members that did not sign up for the tank role.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on July 8, 2022 4:29PM
    Options
  • adyreonb14_ESO
    adyreonb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

You might as well say "It's all about me and who cares about you!". I don't understand this mentality. If you want to queue as a tank, at least taunt and take the hits for the group while you do damage. If the mobs are running around smacking everyone else, it makes it harder on them, just to make it easier for you.

I agree random normal dungeons are easy once you are used to them, but some are joining these queues and some still struggle; think of them. I'm a tank, and queue as a tank, and I can tell how efficient everyone is by the end of the first boss, if not earlier. If they are, I switch around my skills to do more damage while still taunting to help them out if there is a DPS issue. If there is a healer issue, then I switch my back-bar out and a couple skills so I can tank and help the healer.

It's all about teamwork and enjoying the company, rather than blasting through not caring if your group wants that or not.

And yes, I mostly pug, because I enjoy the variety of skill levels of the people.
    Options