The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why I fake tank

Daggerfell0929
Daggerfell0929
✭✭✭
I am not a top 1% parser, but I can parse a solid 90k. And to be honest most people who play this game can't even parse 50k+. If I were to honestly tank with the group doing 15k damage altogether then dungeons would take FOREVER. When I fake tank, I end up doing like 70-80% of the group's damage and we finish the dungeon in under 10 minutes. If anything, I am doing the other people in the group a favor. I suggest Random normal dungeons 4 people can queue up regardless of role because they are so easy anyway.
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t hit those numbers, but when I go as “tank” I’m running hexos and a taunt.
    When I go as “healer” I’m back barring heals with an execute on hand plus damage on front.

If you’re going to fake a roll, try to do some of what that roll does 🤫
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have taunt I don't give a damn what your numbers are you are a problem for me as a healer. Trash mobs don't ask your parse numbers before they attack me.

PS5/NA
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shrug, it is obnoxious, and I think you know it.
    Esse quam videri.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some groups may be glad for it, some may see you as a jerk. All depends on who you get grouped with.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's great until you get a group with a fake healer as a fake tank in Lair of Maarselok with a pair of CP 200s. That's when you wipe and it's more or less your (and the fake healer's) fault.

Regardless, it's obnoxious and you're making excuses for bad behavior. Insert Simpsons "Am I out of touch? No it's the children who are wrong" meme here.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is no reason you play the random normal you play like this , unless you want the 10 trans stone from reward .

Actually you can just solo the daily , no one blame you , you can continue your speed run .
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, who cares if the Lowbies are dead for half the dungeon. Does Rezzing cross your mind?
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have taunt I don't give a damn what your numbers are you are a problem for me as a healer. Trash mobs don't ask your parse numbers before they attack me.

Can quite agree on this, I never knew until myself and a healer were running about in SunSpire after everyone had left (we were scrounging closets), and we came across adds that we had skipped (die at red, run to boss).
    Yeah, I never knew healers came before DPS on the “quick hit” list of trash mobs until then.
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great until you get a group with a fake healer as a fake tank in Lair of Maarselok with a pair of CP 200s. That's when you wipe and it's more or less your (and the fake healer's) fault.

Regardless, it's obnoxious and you're making excuses for bad behavior. Insert Simpsons "Am I out of touch? No it's the children who are wrong" meme here.

That is why I also have a heal as a fake tank, no wipes. Undaunted taunt and heal I am all 3 roles : D
    Edited by Yakidafi on July 7, 2022 4:50AM
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »

That is why I also have a heal as a fake tank, no wipes. Undaunted taunt and heal I am all 3 roles : D

Probably also the type to run ahead as fast as possible in lowbie dungeons, leaving low levels behind. If you wanna play a solo build, do it solo. If you're queueing as a tank, you should be a tank. New players are going to learn bad habits, or have a bad experience with this game, because you want to do dungeons fast. Btw, queueing as a DPS doesn't take that long anymore; 2-5 minutes on average. So if you're a DPS, just queue while you do your writs or something. You might get paired with a fake tank, but you might get a group of lowbies that don't know what they're doing, and it's your job as a veteran player to set an example. If everyone is CP 1 million or whatever, do whatever but as a CP 1600, I dislike it when the tank or a healer are anything but a tank or a healer unless they're under level 50, then I just assume they don't know what they're doing most of the time (or aren't used to the game yet).
    Edited by merpins on July 7, 2022 5:02AM
  • LeBrenn
    LeBrenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    As everybody's witch hunting you, I'm gonna take the part of the devil's advocate.

Don't like it? Try to kick the fake role or leave the party. If you're gonna pug you get what you got.
    You should'nt expect zos to intervene and do everything for you.
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeBrenn wrote: »
    As everybody's witch hunting you, I'm gonna take the part of the devil's advocate.

Don't like it? Try to kick the fake role or leave the party. If you're gonna pug you get what you got.
    You should'nt expect zos to intervene and do everything for you.

Hardly witch hunting, firmly rebuking? Yes. [snip]
    Now, we “could” kick the fake roll from the pug, that’s an awesome idea! Oh, wait a second…..
    now here’s where I’m going to discount that idea my friend.
    We all WANT a good experience, above we have a person stating “set a good example”.
    We also have someone saying “healers are target #1 after the tank”.
    Both these people are correct.
    I may only be cp670 or so, I may have only been playing about 7-8 months, however even I know, as a DPS primarily, that a half decent tank, or half decent healer, can make or break a run in DLC content.
    I’ve done Veteran Banished cells with my partner, she mains a warden werewolf, i main a nightblade.
    I took the role of “fake tank”, and she just focussed on nomming things. We also had our companions out as heals. We wiped once on the final boss, she died by accident on the shade, because 1) I forgot we had it set to veteran, and 2) I forgot to taunt.
    Now, let’s say this is a pug, you get 2 players no cp, and 2 players at whatever cp.
    One of the players decide to go god pulling. What experience is the two non CP players going to have? A pretty bad one I reckon.

Now, say that one of these guys is an actual tank (the non cp), how are they going to learn when everything gets nuked, or godpulled before he can practice taunts, then gets kicked for “bad tanking” on the latter? 🤷🏻‍♂️ No fun for the newbies, plenty of fun for those of us who know mechs and wanna gung ***? Slow the pace a little, see what the groups doing.

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on July 7, 2022 1:14PM
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a DD queued as a fake tank, you only need to slot a taunt in place of your minor force buff and you're golden. (or you can replace the 5th dot you have on your bars of course)
    If you're a DD queued as a fake healer replace it with Vigor or a magicka-based class heal.

11k penetration (which is what a real tank brings as standard) is worth 20% damage.
    The real tank can bring 25k if they learn how to set themselves up correctly for these dungeons so we're talking 25k + 50k*2 versus 3 dps each doing 35k because the fake tank is forcing them to adjust/self heal/kite and lacking the pen.

If DD capable of hitting 50k all queue as fake tanks, then all the dungeons will be slower because they could simply queue as real tanks, pull 25k and buff the DD 20%+ by not needing to kite <3
  • HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    HerrKeinTipp_MrNoTip
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a taunt and won't die, you're a hybrid tank. If you let the team down once or twice, that's life - you were trying.

If you don't have a taunt a true fake tank and can get stuffed for queuing as one. I will vote to boot you the second you let one of your teammates down
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakidafi wrote: »

Probably also the type to run ahead as fast as possible in lowbie dungeons, leaving low levels behind. If you wanna play a solo build, do it solo. If you're queueing as a tank, you should be a tank. New players are going to learn bad habits, or have a bad experience with this game, because you want to do dungeons fast. Btw, queueing as a DPS doesn't take that long anymore; 2-5 minutes on average. So if you're a DPS, just queue while you do your writs or something. You might get paired with a fake tank, but you might get a group of lowbies that don't know what they're doing, and it's your job as a veteran player to set an example. If everyone is CP 1 million or whatever, do whatever but as a CP 1600, I dislike it when the tank or a healer are anything but a tank or a healer unless they're under level 50, then I just assume they don't know what they're doing most of the time (or aren't used to the game yet).

Good to know dps do not take 30+ anymore, I might try it for vet. I notice tank is many times instant now so must be great need of that still :)

I am a tank(I do not die, I taunt and stay still). Say hi in beginning of dungeon. you notice in beginning what tempo you can keep, also I make sure to take time for quest in beginning and clear mobs for the quest to pop in the dungeons where that is necessary(mazzatun, banished, direfrost, crypt o hearts..)
    I taunt all the hard hitting mobs, almost an impossibility for someone to die. Stack them as good as I can.
    I do not know what others think are bad habits or experience, I believe too many preconceived opinions are ;) I remember I did a poll a few years ago and the replies then showed a wide difference of what everyone thaught a tank should do.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Trash mobs don’t need to be taunted in a normal dungeon. That’s what makes them trash mobs and not dangerous adds. There are very few dangerous adds that need to be taunted in a normal dungeon. Even healers need to know how and when to block. They are just trash mobs. Even if you are wearing no armor at all, you will be fine.
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a top 1% parser, but I can parse a solid 90k. And to be honest most people who play this game can't even parse 50k+. If I were to honestly tank with the group doing 15k damage altogether then dungeons would take FOREVER. When I fake tank, I end up doing like 70-80% of the group's damage and we finish the dungeon in under 10 minutes. If anything, I am doing the other people in the group a favor. I suggest Random normal dungeons 4 people can queue up regardless of role because they are so easy anyway.

I'm curious why you choose to run dungeons with random players, given that you are doing a group a favor, shouldn't you have a line of people wanting to group with you every day?
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who cares about the other 90% of dd who patiently wait their turn in line?

You just do it to jump the queue, dont try to give (to yourself and other players) a fake explanation depicting yourself as a saint, disinterestedly helping others.
    You're just selfishly faking a role. You're not the only one, its not this big issue and there's no way to stop it from happening, but please at least dont be hypocritical about it.

While some can accept and even welcome your fake role, you risk ruining some other people's (most probably a newbie) run.
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on July 7, 2022 10:04AM
  • Jazraena
    Jazraena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm the first one to admit you do not need a hyperspecialized trial setup for dungeons with clear role delineations.

But really, bring the basics. Your leet DPS isn't helping when the boss runs all over the place, isn't debuffed or depending on dungeon just casually obliterates a team member or three, and frankly, I don't see why I need to suddenly facetank and selfheal as a DPS because you aren't doing your job and decided to queue skip. And I actually know what I am doing - towards a new player, this is even more unfair.

You queue as a tank, you do your job. If you can do that in light armour, with 20k health and a taunt I won't complain. If you don't taunt and/or keep dying you're not doing your job and are a liability to the group.
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I want to skip queue as a DPS I queue as a tank and slap on a taunt and maybe an ice staff on my regular setup. Really helps to slot Chains too for trash mobs.

Look, if you're going to "fake" tank, you literally just need to do the bare minimum tanking requirements (taunt bosses and dangerous enemies and stay alive) and nobody would complain. I get people in my queues saying, "Thank god, finally a real tank!" And I'm just sitting there with my 20k health bar and 70% group DPS, "Thanks."

Queue how you want; just slot a taunt.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can still parse your 90k when you que as a DD you know. So what stops you from that?

I guess some people should wait in their ques and others are just made for greater things :wink:
  • Living_Tribunal
    Living_Tribunal
    ✭✭✭
    I hate waiting. That's why I do it.
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have a decent health pool, taunt, and block when you have to, I dont think most people would care (in normal and non-achievement seeking vet dungeons).
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of "fake," the minimum one is expected to bring if you're queuing as a tank is a taunt and a way to survive. After all, you might be queuing as a tank, but someone else might be queuing as a fake healer; you cannot blame them because you didn't get enough heals, you don't have any moral high ground in that argument. CC/pulling is optional, but desirable.

No attempt to justify it beyond that is acceptable. Those no-CP or low-CP people you just left dead on the floor because they were kiting a boss which you, as the tank, should have had aggro of do not care if you have 90k DPS parse on a dummy. Those new players who were doing the dungeon for the first time and were trying to do the quest don't care that you can solo the dungeon in 2 minutes.

On the same note, your 90k parse means absolutely nothing when some other player is kiting the boss around, basically only allowing you to do damage with light attacks and spammables. What are you going to do, tell them to not kite? The irony is, in my experience, those who fake tank don't even bring all that much DPS to show for it.

Not having a taunt is purely selfish. There's nothing else to describe it. More often than not, when I queue up on my healer, I end up performing all three roles; doing the lion's share of the DPS, taunting, pulling, and healing everyone, and even with that some people, especially the fake tank, have the audacity to say I'm not doing enough. I'm not an octopus, do the role you signed up to do and stop offloading your responsibilities onto other people.

If you do fulfil the minimum of having a taunt slotted and you know you can survive while doing whatever DPS you can, even if it's not the 90k parse you can get on a dummy, then carry on and fake tank (one would also argue that if a DD on a tank role has a taunt, even with only 20k health, they are a real tank by virtue of fulfilling that base requirement).

@Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason a fake tank seems to do all the DPS on the DPS meters, is because they run ahead and attack everything before others can. Queueing as a fake role just means you feel yourself more important than the three other players you get paired up with.
    You are not doing those three players a favor, as they miss out on loot and exp from the dungeon. And if you happen to get a DLC dungeon, or if they kick you, they have to wait out yet another queue because some a..... skipped the line.

If you are a DPS, queue as DPS. And ZOS needs to fix the fake role queueing somehow. There have been plenty of examples given over the years on how to fix this.

PS: As a tank I practically never had any problems with low DPS players. If players do low DPS, ninety-nine out of a hundred times the tank is at fault.
    PPS: I have experienced fake tanks myself, and their DPS is mostly terrible, despite their claims.
    PPPS: The only reason fake tanks aren't kicked instantly, is because waiting AGAIN for a real tank takes too long. Don't take players tolerating fake tanks temporarily, as approval.
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story. I'll stick kick you
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    On the same note, your 90k parse means absolutely nothing when some other player is kiting the boss around, basically only allowing you to do damage with light attacks and spammables. What are you going to do, tell them to not kite?

Funny enough, that is what they usually do: tell you to stop kiting and tank the boss.
    Every time I get aggro as non-tank I run around in largest circles possible or leash the boss over and over if location allows. I don't care if I can solo a dungeon on this very character, this is public queue with set roles and I did not sign up for any other experience. 4 premades is a different story, I know what I am getting into, I won't mind randomly having to tank or self heal. Not even attempting to do bare minimum for your role in public queue is just huge disrespect to everyone.
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate waiting. That's why I do it.

Lol i love waiting instead... i play just to remain in queue, its so thrilling to wait...

i'm not even doing anything in the meantime, i just want to fully taste the excitement of the dungeon coming up while fakes enter before me 😑
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter, just slot a taunt. After 1st boss and check your group dps. If your dps is higher than other 2 dps combined. Then these 2 dps are fake dps, since they're all fake dps, then you can officially become fake tank without taunt. :trollface:
  • WinterHeart626
    WinterHeart626
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't matter, just slot a taunt. After 1st boss and check your group dps. If your dps is higher than other 2 dps combined. Then these 2 dps are fake dps, since they're all fake dps, then you can officially become fake tank without taunt. :trollface:

Make sure you wear a clown suit or something too, helps them know you’re just clowning about and not being tank (actually, don’t do that, I’ve seen some rather fashionable clown tanks out there, so better off doing the fake tanking without armour and weapons :trollface: )