The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

How can we fix Oakensoul without making it obsolete?

• hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Still waiting on someone to explain how its ruining PVP rather than parroting the same tired baseless accusations.

The same way steroids ruin athletic competition. It’s a way to circumvent the hard work needed to become a strong PvP player. That and obviously the 1 shot ganking builds and perma-corrosive builds are rampant and overpowered, and are enabled by this item.

To avoid the offensive benefits for the 1 shot ganking build you can build in a 1 sec delay in activating the offensive buffs.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of players say that getting rid of Major Heroism and Major Force is the way forward.
    I would argue the reverse. Getting rid of Major Heroism is removing its main selling point. I would keep Major Heroism and nerf some of the other bonuses instead.

I would recommend this:

Keep: Major Heroism, Major Protection, Major Savagery, Major Prophecy, Major Resolve, Major Courage, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance

Remove: Berserk, Sorcery, Brutality and Force.

Try this and test, if it’s still OP we can go from there. But hit it with the nerf bat too hard and it will end up in the trash pile.

Honestly, one way to fix it would be to remove defensive buffs so that it only has offensive buffs. That way, they can make a different mythic that only has defensive buffs to serve as a full on counter-balance to Oakensoul. Doing so wouldn't hurt players in PVE, since defense stats are only valuable in PVE to tanks (and arena builds, but to a much lesser degree), so the damage done to PVE players is reduced by removing only the defensive buffs. This would allow Zos to eventually bring the ring into balance by coming out with another mythic that stacks a ton of defensive buffs for PVP that can counterbalance the ring in PVP.

Just my thoughts.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of players say that getting rid of Major Heroism and Major Force is the way forward.
    I would argue the reverse. Getting rid of Major Heroism is removing its main selling point. I would keep Major Heroism and nerf some of the other bonuses instead.

I would recommend this:

Keep: Major Heroism, Major Protection, Major Savagery, Major Prophecy, Major Resolve, Major Courage, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance

Remove: Berserk, Sorcery, Brutality and Force.

Try this and test, if it’s still OP we can go from there. But hit it with the nerf bat too hard and it will end up in the trash pile.

Honestly, one way to fix it would be to remove defensive buffs so that it only has offensive buffs. That way, they can make a different mythic that only has defensive buffs to serve as a full on counter-balance to Oakensoul. Doing so wouldn't hurt players in PVE, since defense stats are only valuable in PVE to tanks (and arena builds, but to a much lesser degree), so the damage done to PVE players is reduced by removing only the defensive buffs. This would allow Zos to eventually bring the ring into balance by coming out with another mythic that stacks a ton of defensive buffs for PVP that can counterbalance the ring in PVP.

Just my thoughts.

The only defensive buff is Protection. Defensive buffs on the ring are not an issue.

The issue is, the ring is so overloaded with offensive buffs that you don't have to run any offensive sets with it and can run pure defensive and still be stronger than a two bar build having to do that with their actual five piece sets
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As if we need any more proof than corrosive DKs with barely 12 seconds of downtime, ritual Templars with nearly 100% uptime, 30k+ heavy attacks from stealth, and caluurions hitting for 12k to show that this ring is causing a trash meta....

Anyone saying the ring is fine in PvP either doesn't PvP or is a bad actor because they are an active contributor in the downfall of this meta.

There are a lot of great ideas within this thread to balance it without affecting PvE.

If major force and major heroism are absolutely needed for PvE, then disable them with battle spirit. Otherwise, remove them and add slayer to it to compensate.

They literally implemented this ring's current iteration barely a month from going live and then denied access to the pts for anyone who didn't pre-order. There is no way they gave themselves enough time to properly test this last minute idea. We are beta testing this ring right now. Classic ZOS.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    PVPers won't complain only when there's no PVP in ESO at all

Zenimax hasn't given out a new pvp update since 2019. Performance on every platform has been awful for years outside of pc na the last few months. Zenimax constantly introduces sets that break the game in a pvp environment. We don't care about new patches, we just don't want blatantly broken things in pvp. Oh, and we want our skills to work. Two things!

Imagine if you didn't get a new trial, new dungeons, new overland questing for a year, and then randomly they'd introduce stupid one shot mechanics regardless of build into old content. No counter, nothing. You just die. Would you say nothing?

The irony in all of this is the ring was created because of COMPLAINTS about accessibility. I'm all for accessibility mythics so people can enjoy the eso sandbox in whatever way they enjoy, but let's just have a finger on the pulse of where and how it can be broken. Perhaps an accessibility mythic should have more buffs for accessibility(like slayer), instead of force/heroism w 100% uptime. Let's just push for zenimax to make things that are good for people without making it miserable in another environment. battle spirit exists for a reason and this could have been done immediately.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Since my idea of removing buffs and adding damage procs didn't get much attention. How about simply...

REMOVE
    -major heroism
    -Major force

ADD
    -Minor heroism
    -Minor force
    -Minor expedition
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMO companies have a bad habit of making one item that's so op that the community can't stop complaining about it. I bet they wish they never made the thing. So what they should do is nerf the heck out of it and make it bar swappable. I mean what's it really for..So some players can solo group content and be unbeatable in PVP. Group content is for groups and should never change.
    Edited by Castagere on July 6, 2022 12:05AM
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy fix: Remove hard to obtain and toxic buffs from it such as major heroism, major force, major berserk and major courage.
    And add other easy to obtain buffs to replace them with such as major expedition that everyone has a skill slotted or a bow to access it and major recovery buffs that we get from 3-stat potions. Basically they will have all the major buffs everyone else is having, the difference is it will be 100% up time.
    Now that feels more fair and more in line with the raise the floor concept.

Long fix: make major heroism, major force, major berserk and major courage easily accessible from the class and guild skills, and perform lots of iterations of class balancing after that.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    Easy fix: Remove hard to obtain and toxic buffs from it such as major heroism, major force, major berserk and major courage.
    And add other easy to obtain buffs to replace them with such as major expedition that everyone has a skill slotted or a bow to access it and major recovery buffs that we get from 3-stat potions. Basically they will have all the major buffs everyone else is having, the difference is it will be 100% up time.
    Now that feels more fair and more in line with the raise the floor concept.

Long fix: make major heroism, major force, major berserk and major courage easily accessible from the class and guild skills, and perform lots of iterations of class balancing after that.

Im ok with one of the last 2 stayingt on there to give a feel of strenght close as 1 or 2 abilities other than buffs along with another ultimate will still be missing, as well as the class major resolve buffs, or major brutality/sorcery buffs often have extra utility. I just know major heroism and force should not ever be easily kept up
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does the Dev article sound like they more intend to make 2 bar builds easier to match Oakensoul?
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does the Dev article sound like they more intend to make 2 bar builds easier to match Oakensoul?

You mean with them making dot/hot/buff/debuff times longer? If so, then I believe that is the case. The Oakensoul Ring has brought to light the fact that ESO is a resource management game.... and not having to do so as much as another player is definitely an advantage. I'm honestly all for this change too. I even want them to take an even bigger step and make class active abilities that give major resolve and major sorcerery/brutality into class passive abilities instead (and obviously make versions for classes that currently do not have access to them). I know a lot of people who struggle getting into ESO because of the applying and reapplying buffs style of the game.... and I really can't blame them haha after trying out the Oakensoul Ring, I realized how nice it is not having to buff up every 30 or so seconds and just being able to run straight into a fight no questions asked.

*I take part of this back. I never thought they would reduce the frequency the DOTs ticked.... was imagining more longer up times and an overall damage increase to reflect the extended time so that there was simply less frequent casts or management. Once again, a questionable call from ZOS.
    Edited by fizzylu on July 12, 2022 5:31AM