The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How can we fix Oakensoul without making it obsolete?

• Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't nerf it, but raise accessibility to major force, prot, berserk, and heroism through back bar skills.

It's those three buffs that make it out of pocket. Either lower them to minor buffs, or increase access outside of the ring and boom! problem solved.

@DrNukenstein , what do you think about the idea that giving access to Major Force, Major Berserk, and Major Courage at the expense of having the option of a turtle backbar has finally resolved the long-standing issue people have that "tanks can deal as much damage as DDs"?

Because now, definitively, they cannot. Yes there are other issues with this ring, yes some Ultimates violate this possible "balance", yes you can do some SnB/Frost Staff/Resto Oakensoul builds, but, it's an interesting point.

So just giving everybody access to Berserk and Force without sacrificing the option to turtle up on a defensive backbar would be a regression on this point.

Not that I ever completely subscribed to the idea that there should be some "trinity" in PvP. I'm a proud Tanklet and this ring has reminded me just how hard I crutch on SnB, I can barely play with this ring.

The way to reconcile your idea with this one I guess would be that you cannot get this theoretical backbarred Major Force/Berserk/Courage/etc. with a Resto/Frost/SnB equipped, or something like that.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Still waiting on someone to explain how its ruining PVP rather than parroting the same tired baseless accusations.

The same way steroids ruin athletic competition. It’s a way to circumvent the hard work needed to become a strong PvP player. That and obviously the 1 shot ganking builds and perma-corrosive builds are rampant and overpowered, and are enabled by this item.

Let's be honest though, athletic competitions would be a lot more impressive and entertaining if performance enhancing drugs were universally permitted. They are banned to protect the players, but that is not something we need to worry about in a video game. Originally ESO had many powerful and fun tools, that slowly have been reduced to bland and generic over the years. It is possible to achieve balance without making everything feel weak.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on June 28, 2022 6:47PM
  • Mazbt
    Mazbt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fine as is. Just leave it the status quo, at least for now. You sacrifice a backbar.....that makes builds limiting and very specific. Out of habit, people will probably try to swap bars and get nothing. Plus, it's not like its an easy to get easy dungeon set. Takes a bit of effort to obtain, that alone means it should be strong.

Edit: I just saw a Deltia's video pertaining to this set and he said it was stronger on the PTS even.
    Edited by Mazbt on June 28, 2022 7:17PM
    Mazari the Resurrected (AD)- PVP stamplar main
    Maz the Druid - PVP group stam warden
    - many others
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have to leave brutality/savagery on it, otherwise it would feel horrible to use because you only have 5 slots and still needing basic buffs would reduce choice even more, or force you into specific potions.

The main balance issue is clearly major heroism. And it sucks, because this buff is what makes this item fun. It opens up ridiculously fun builds like multiple storm atro sorcerers and Permanent corrosive armor DKs. My NB can keep a huge uptime on incap strike 20% damage bonus.

I hate it when developers nerf something that is fun, but I think it's very clear that major heroism is causing these massive imbalances in pvp.

If I had to make this ring viable but not imbalanced.. I would remove all the major buffs other than resolve/brutality/savagery. Then I would add four procs to the ring...
    1) Hitting with a single target direct damage ability procs a dot for X damage over 6 seconds.
    2) Healing with a single target ability heals the target for X over 6 seconds.
    3) Dealing damage with a direct aoe attack applies major breach to all targets for X seconds.
    4) Dealing damage with any aoe ability drops a stationary aoe effect that deals X damage over 10 seconds.

The entire point of this ring is to make one bar builds viable, and to do that you need to make up for missing backbar abilities, and buff abilities. I think procs would do that, and you can give them cool nature themed names or animations too so this ring has some flavor.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about this: keep it the same and just deal with in in PVP. The same way PVE-heavy players have to deal with every single nerf and change due to PVP. "Crimson Twilight is OP." "A werewolf killed me again." "Elf Bane and Zaan is unfair." Heck, 2 weeks ago you would have thought being a stam sorc in Cyrodiil was god mode. Enough already.

Oakensoul is a great mythic and one that works extraordinarily well in PVE content like VMA. It does not need to be changed. I think its fair to say that most PVE and a lot of PVP players really don't care if its OP in PVP. And everyone knows that if they nerf Oakensoul to meet the demands of the vocal minority, that same minority will move on to complaining about something else.

Imagine as an example. You have one shot mechanics in PvE and hate it. What if an update made something to where those are suddenly seen in every fight.
    No new content; it just shows up in same content you have been doing for year's. Would you be ok with that and want to just deal with it?

You mean like one-shot add mechanics on add mobs in Kyne's Aegis? On normal? Like those? They definitely wouldn't do that again. Like in Rockgrove.

If they made mudcrabs that way, sure, that's problematic. But Oakensoul doesn't turn noob PVPers into unbeatable war machines. I've heard this same argument over and over and over again. And it happens with every single update and new gear item. Like with Werewolf + Crimson Twilight, as I mentioned earlier. And after both were cut off at the knees, the complaining turned to another "game breaking mistake."

Funny thing is, PVE players are the ones who deal with it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to enjoy playing with my stam sorc and crystal weapon until a PVPer calls for its demise. Used to be a mag DK, but apparently that class murdered too many in Cyrodiil earlier this year.
  • Kalitas
    Kalitas
    ✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    the problem with it is PVP related.

The problem in Eso IS pvp... anyway I agree with you, just disable it in PVP area's.

The problem is not PVP. [snip] PVP is what keeps this game interesting at all for endgame. Just disable some or all of the rings effects when you have battle spirit active. This is killing PVP. Buff the ring in PVE for all I care. Please just balance it in PVP. A lot of players I know have came back to the game recently for the fixed PVP servers, the absolutely terrible meta of this patch is driving a lot of them away already.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 29, 2022 12:29PM
    @Kevin-G | Ajani | Wü-Tang Clan
  • Kalitas
    Kalitas
    ✭✭✭
    How about this: keep it the same and just deal with in in PVP. The same way PVE-heavy players have to deal with every single nerf and change due to PVP. "Crimson Twilight is OP." "A werewolf killed me again." "Elf Bane and Zaan is unfair." Heck, 2 weeks ago you would have thought being a stam sorc in Cyrodiil was god mode. Enough already.

Oakensoul is a great mythic and one that works extraordinarily well in PVE content like VMA. It does not need to be changed. I think its fair to say that most PVE and a lot of PVP players really don't care if its OP in PVP. And everyone knows that if they nerf Oakensoul to meet the demands of the vocal minority, that same minority will move on to complaining about something else.

Damage has skyrocketed in PVE. The PVE side of this game is easier than it has ever been. Oakensoul is an accessibility mythic. I understand people that have disabilities loving it because it allows them to complete more difficult content. I don't understand it for other players. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 29, 2022 12:30PM
    @Kevin-G | Ajani | Wü-Tang Clan
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Imagine as an example. You have one shot mechanics in PvE and hate it. What if an update made something to where those are suddenly seen in every fight.
    No new content; it just shows up in same content you have been doing for year's. Would you be ok with that and want to just deal with it?

You mean like one-shot add mechanics on add mobs in Kyne's Aegis? On normal? Like those? They definitely wouldn't do that again. Like in Rockgrove.

If they made mudcrabs that way, sure, that's problematic. But Oakensoul doesn't turn noob PVPers into unbeatable war machines. I've heard this same argument over and over and over again. And it happens with every single update and new gear item. Like with Werewolf + Crimson Twilight, as I mentioned earlier. And after both were cut off at the knees, the complaining turned to another "game breaking mistake."

Funny thing is, PVE players are the ones who deal with it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to enjoy playing with my stam sorc and crystal weapon until a PVPer calls for its demise. Used to be a mag DK, but apparently that class murdered too many in Cyrodiil earlier this year.

I'm a PvPer who would like to change the ring so that it gets minor/major slayer type buffs, that would continue to buff the PvE players without adversely affecting PvP. Would you trade Heroism for Slayer? Is Major Heroism an integral part of your PvE build being successful now that you have Oakensoul?

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't nerf it, but raise accessibility to major force, prot, berserk, and heroism through back bar skills.

It's those three buffs that make it out of pocket. Either lower them to minor buffs, or increase access outside of the ring and boom! problem solved.

@DrNukenstein , what do you think about the idea that giving access to Major Force, Major Berserk, and Major Courage at the expense of having the option of a turtle backbar has finally resolved the long-standing issue people have that "tanks can deal as much damage as DDs"?

Because now, definitively, they cannot. Yes there are other issues with this ring, yes some Ultimates violate this possible "balance", yes you can do some SnB/Frost Staff/Resto Oakensoul builds, but, it's an interesting point.

So just giving everybody access to Berserk and Force without sacrificing the option to turtle up on a defensive backbar would be a regression on this point.

Not that I ever completely subscribed to the idea that there should be some "trinity" in PvP. I'm a proud Tanklet and this ring has reminded me just how hard I crutch on SnB, I can barely play with this ring.

The way to reconcile your idea with this one I guess would be that you cannot get this theoretical backbarred Major Force/Berserk/Courage/etc. with a Resto/Frost/SnB equipped, or something like that.

@Urzigurumash

I think it's more about the skills and traits you put on the back bar than the weapon type itself. The one they can easily control is the skills. The buffs can be tied to skills in a way that for example if you want that major force that's now on the table, you would need to sacrifice your source of evasion or major expedition, or that extra team hot. Maybe some of these skills could be tied to trees where you want the same number of skills on both bars (trees that give %bonus stats for example). And if there's room to tie a particular OP buff to a particular back bar weapon type, then I think that adds to the depth of build choice. There's already a precedent with rally/momentum
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a PvPer who would like to change the ring so that it gets minor/major slayer type buffs, that would continue to buff the PvE players without adversely affecting PvP. Would you trade Heroism for Slayer? Is Major Heroism an integral part of your PvE build being successful now that you have Oakensoul?

I like where you're going with this. Major Slayer could be a good choice, replacing Major Berserk and allowing it to be used along with with Kinras in PVE. That would be a moderate damage nerf in PVP, but Oakensoul is arguably more powerful in PVP than PVE currently (because buffs like Major Protection and anything that can be obtained from potions are more meaningful there).

I don't think Major Heroism should be removed though, it is the most unique part of the ring and a fitting compensation for only having access to one ultimate. I'm also mot sure Minor Slayer should be on Oakensoul since that would make it redundant with any trial set (could be interesting, but removes a lot of build options).
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on June 28, 2022 10:41PM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zos should listen pvp players feedbacd again.

We cant wait the new nerf waves.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they remove Heroism or any other major buffs, it isn't worth slotting something that limits you to one bar. Period. Only way it is currently worth it is because it provides major buffs to people that have little to no access to such buffs. If they change everything to minor, then it better have no bar restrictions to make it worth the slot. Or else it is an instant trash.

If you traded Major Heroism for Major Slayer it would be trash?

That might not be a bad thing for solo PvE play for sure.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Urzigurumash

I think it's more about the skills and traits you put on the back bar than the weapon type itself. The one they can easily control is the skills. The buffs can be tied to skills in a way that for example if you want that major force that's now on the table, you would need to sacrifice your source of evasion or major expedition, or that extra team hot. Maybe some of these skills could be tied to trees where you want the same number of skills on both bars (trees that give %bonus stats for example). And if there's room to tie a particular OP buff to a particular back bar weapon type, then I think that adds to the depth of build choice. There's already a precedent with rally/momentum

Yes, I'm all for Bow getting a source of one or more of these 3 buffs. There needs to be more reason for your average Dizzy Swinger / Spin 2 Winner to have an interest in bow backbars over SnB, to me that's been a huge driving force of the Tank Meta and I'm sure many have discussed it before - bow's weakness as a backbar in PvP. Sure, it's good in groups, where you might also have access to Major Force / Courage with no investment of your own, but for a while now for most solo / unorganized / unoptimized players, the Tanklet style has had way better returns than a Ranger style.

Of course I justify the existence of Tanklets, I am one, and I've done ok when solo with Unchained Aggressor's Major Berserk, but we simply must not have access to as strong of Offensive Buffs as True DDs, and they must not have access to as strong of Defensive Buffs as we do.

This has never been achieved to such a strong degree as it now has with Oakensoul.

So to me, let that be the takeaway, whatever happens to this ring. If this balance can be shifted to skills so that it's easily accessible to and differentiated for all specs as with Oakensoul - instead of depending on a specific group comp as prior to Oakensoul - perhaps this positive effect of Oakensoul can be preserved.

For those whose reaction to this suggestion is that these 3 buffs being easily available makes Ganking too strong - perhaps shifting the meta off SnB/Resto backbars opens up room for them to be buffed - Heavy Armor too. Things can always be further balanced, but as I've said before, while having its own issues, it appears Oakensoul has resolved one particularly tenacious, long-standing imbalance: that Tanks could effectively deal as much damage as DDs.

Edited by Urzigurumash on June 29, 2022 2:36AM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it the Thrassian Stranglers treatment.

All buffs are lost if you remove the Oakensoul ring, go invisible, or crouch.

Unlike Stranglers, this would still make Oakensoul strong for all content.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they remove Heroism or any other major buffs, it isn't worth slotting something that limits you to one bar. Period. Only way it is currently worth it is because it provides major buffs to people that have little to no access to such buffs. If they change everything to minor, then it better have no bar restrictions to make it worth the slot. Or else it is an instant trash.

Slayer only works in Dungeons and Trials and does nothing for the rest of ESO content. Replacing Major Slayer with Major Heroism would be a big nerf overall in PVE. Believe that would go against the overall intent of the ring which I believe is an accessibility tool for some.

Stay safe :)
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If some buffs are easy enough to get on a two bar setup, then why bother with this ring at all?
    PvPers don't bother with like 98% of game sets. Why Oak must be so that huge exception? And don't forget about PvE part - all that "ty for Oak ring!" happy guys. They will have what they want, without disbalancing PvP that much.
    Edited by mocap on June 29, 2022 5:43AM
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    If some buffs are easy enough to get on a two bar setup, then why bother with this ring at all?
    PvPers don't bother with like 98% of game sets. Why Oak must be so that huge exception? And don't forget about PvE part - all that "ty for Oak ring!" happy guys. They will have what they want, without disbalancing PvP that much.

Because when rings like this exists it nullifies much of what ‘could’ be viable in any other setting. Oakensoul and Malacath on release are examples of items that basically force a ‘use this or lose’ state in PvP.

Fans of the ring argue that it helps to fight back vs the tank meta. This is a difficult thing to fight against as tanking usually involves high block cost reduction and high armor as opposed to high health. This makes something like Oblivion Damage not very useful outside of the rare player running some kind of Harbinger health stacking build.

However, introducing something that can melt through high defences just makes it even more important to stack those stats. This inevitably leads to other options being made redundant. Until tanking ‘requires’ high health to be viable, there won’t be an effective counter without non-tanks just getting instagibbed.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to make it not obsolete? Easy. Erase it from existence. It cannot be obsolete if it doesn't exist. Simple.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im taking a little much needed break from pvp atm, in hopes that soon the oaken [snip] gets nerfed or removed from pvp entirely.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 29, 2022 12:27PM

PC EU
    PvP only
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalitas wrote: »
    The problem is not PVP. [snip] PVP is what keeps this game interesting at all for endgame. Just disable some or all of the rings effects when you have battle spirit active. This is killing PVP. Buff the ring in PVE for all I care. Please just balance it in PVP. A lot of players I know have came back to the game recently for the fixed PVP servers, the absolutely terrible meta of this patch is driving a lot of them away already.

[snip] I'm just tired of things being nerfed because 5% of players cry hard on the forums.
    Pvp is not the thing that keeps eso alive, just 1 campaign on pc eu is 3-3-3, the other 3 are dead, the majority of people in cyrodiil are there just for caltrops or war horn, but for some reason 80% of complains come from pvp, just look at the "Combat & Character Mechanics" section of the forum...

Anyway you're right, balance it in pvp, I don't care how, but just leave it as it is in pve.
    This game needs desperately to split pvp and pve

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on June 29, 2022 12:33PM
    PC-EU
  • lPeacekeeperl
    lPeacekeeperl
    ✭✭✭

And some popular MMO even have good examples of this kind of system, there is even no need to farm "pvp sets in pve dungeons" yo- u can just grab "set" for your playstile and go pvping

And i'll repeat again to all complainers of the ring. Why so much cry on DK's or NB's ultimates/skills and not for other classes? Are you sure the ring is the problem? You sure the problem is not in wierdly overpovered for PVP (and sometimes undpowered for PVE) skills|ultimates of some classes?
    And i'll rely in advance to most obvious objection"it gives to much buffs" - No it doesnt. It gives same amount of buffs to any class. But some classes/playyers can and will abuse this oportunity and others can't or won't. And only one thing in this dilema than can be solved by ZOS - is class potency to fairly utilize this opportunity.

Before argue with this, please, show me how "to much op become with ring" wardens, or necromancers(pay to win classes btw)(and this is not a joke or provocation, i have warden and i will be happy to see, how to play correctly).

And as response to discussion name - the only posible fix to ring (in pvp) without making it obsolete - fix overpowered in PVP classes (just get rid from "limit incoming dmg to 3% of your HP" from green blood and DK's become much more balanced, add to "cloak" same incremental cost mechanizm as in roll-dodge/streak and NB's will be not so scary)
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And some popular MMO even have good examples of this kind of system, there is even no need to farm "pvp sets in pve dungeons" yo- u can just grab "set" for your playstile and go pvping

And i'll repeat again to all complainers of the ring. Why so much cry on DK's or NB's ultimates/skills and not for other classes? Are you sure the ring is the problem? You sure the problem is not in wierdly overpovered for PVP (and sometimes undpowered for PVE) skills|ultimates of some classes?
    And i'll rely in advance to most obvious objection"it gives to much buffs" - No it doesnt. It gives same amount of buffs to any class. But some classes/playyers can and will abuse this oportunity and others can't or won't. And only one thing in this dilema than can be solved by ZOS - is class potency to fairly utilize this opportunity.

Before argue with this, please, show me how "to much op become with ring" wardens, or necromancers(pay to win classes btw)(and this is not a joke or provocation, i have warden and i will be happy to see, how to play correctly).

And as response to discussion name - the only posible fix to ring (in pvp) without making it obsolete - fix overpowered in PVP classes (just get rid from "limit incoming dmg to 3% of your HP" from green blood and DK's become much more balanced, add to "cloak" same incremental cost mechanizm as in roll-dodge/streak and NB's will be not so scary)

NBA and DKs are just using abilities that were previously limited before ring. They literally had just nerfed the potential crit damage a couple updates ago on NB and thus ring flushed that. Sustsun on DKs this update nerfed, but now with ultimate always up, that's erased.

It's not just the either. Balance attempts completely whipped out by the ring and you'd wish to nerf them more to where they might wind up depending on it?
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no balancing expert, but the Oakensoul Ring has become more than just a OP Ring.

It is a symbol of hope to all the players, that, for whatever reasons, cannot bar swap. For all the guys having to fight other limitations to playing ESO, including, but not limited to:
    • bad internet connections
    • disabilities
    • the comparatively high requirements of player skill for end game content
    • social awkwardness, hence preferance for SOLOing
    • (Real Life and) little to no time to play and improve Player Skill
    I do not think that this hope should be "nerfed", do you?
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am no balancing expert, but the Oakensoul Ring has become more than just a OP Ring.

It is a symbol of hope to all the players, that, for whatever reasons, cannot bar swap. For all the guys having to fight other limitations to playing ESO, including, but not limited to:
    • disabilities

Not at all. But even those that bar swap do not have access to the plethora of buffs that this ring gives. Yes, single bar set up should be allowed but it should never surpass the power of a double bar set up. I don't think anyone has issues with this ring in PVE. This is a purely PvP issue. This is why I argue for Heroism to stay. Getting rid of Berserk and Force and making Brutality and Sorcery Minor would still make for a very strong ring but with its damage output brought down a bit.

The argument for Heroism removal is a redundant point as it has merely revealed how strong the buff is. As such, many players without access to the ring have found other means to get the buff. Major Heroism has always been very strong, it's just that it is popular now that is bringing so much attention to it and people are blaming the ring. Heroism isn't the issue. It's the combination of all the powerful effects together that break this ring for PVP.

Getting rid of Heroism changes nothing. People will still run the ring and get the heroism from elsewhere and voila the same output. Major Berserk and Force on the other hand are not so easy to maintain.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting rid of Heroism changes nothing. People will still run the ring and get the heroism from elsewhere and voila the same output. Major Berserk and Force on the other hand are not so easy to maintain.
    Of course, you are right. But I see the blame on the PvP side of the game. It is just so vulnerable to shifts in META. The general state it is in right now is very concerning.

A little butterfly flapping its wings in PvE can make such an earthquake in PvP. The line between PvE and PvP should be hermetic. Impenetrable.

I hope that with the backend restructure of PvP, that is promised after the Hardware Update, there will be someone brave enough to finally seperate PvE and PvP.
    Otherwise, I fear this back and forth of nerfing between the two game modes will go on for ever.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on June 29, 2022 2:49PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• disabilities

Not at all. But even those that bar swap do not have access to the plethora of buffs that this ring gives. Yes, single bar set up should be allowed but it should never surpass the power of a double bar set up. I don't think anyone has issues with this ring in PVE. This is a purely PvP issue. This is why I argue for Heroism to stay. Getting rid of Berserk and Force and making Brutality and Sorcery Minor would still make for a very strong ring but with its damage output brought down a bit.

The argument for Heroism removal is a redundant point as it has merely revealed how strong the buff is. As such, many players without access to the ring have found other means to get the buff. Major Heroism has always been very strong, it's just that it is popular now that is bringing so much attention to it and people are blaming the ring. Heroism isn't the issue. It's the combination of all the powerful effects together that break this ring for PVP.

The difference is the uptime on it. Other sources of Major heroism require management of it in some way, and don't guarantee 100% uptime in combat. The ring does, with no management of the buff necessary.
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, you are right. But I see the blame on the PvP side of the game. It is just so vulnerable to shifts in META. The general state it is in right now is very concerning.

A little butterfly flapping its wings in PvE can make such an earthquake in PvP. The line between PvE and PvP should be hermetic. Impenetrable.

I hope that with the backend restructure of PvP, that is promised after the Hardware Update, there will be someone brave enough to finally seperate PvE and PvP.
    Otherwise, I fear this back and forth of nerfing between the two game modes will go on for ever.

100% agree with this.

One other strategy is simply balance everything around PVP first. PVE then can be brought into balance to account for the changes in the PVP meta.

I think this might be easier as you would only have to change a few general things with enemy mobs and statistics rather than bespoke every single set and skill to account for the disparity.

But yes, it might be just easier to operate the two completely.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting on someone to explain how its ruining PVP rather than parroting the same tired baseless accusations.

The same way steroids ruin athletic competition. It’s a way to circumvent the hard work needed to become a strong PvP player. That and obviously the 1 shot ganking builds and perma-corrosive builds are rampant and overpowered, and are enabled by this item.

This is exactly what I mean by baseless parroting, This isn't new or informative proof that the ring is doing anything beyond enabling accessibility and stirring up feelings of entitlement and controversy from people who aren't even willing to do the minimum required thing of "show how it's ruining the game with facts and data."

It's not a banned performance enhancing substance. Nor is it circumventing the hard work needed to become a strong PVPer.
    It doesn't play the game for you. You are trading 3 potential set pieces and an entire skill bar for most of the buffs in the game.

For many this helps them play without rotating through two bars to keep their buffs up. For me this has injected new life into the game because I'm not struggling with pain over a session because my overall keystrokes are reduced per encounter. But I'm not here to talk about the accessibility benefit. That can be its own whole thing.

1 shot gankers didn't just show up out of nowhere they've been a part of the game forever and will continue to be in the future. If you don't want to get killed suddenly by another player don't PVP.

Corrosive has been a issue ever since its closest current iterations. It's a problem with the class being able to gain ultimate with Corrosive active which is an exception for the self buff ultimates like Overload, Vampire Form, Necro Bone Goliath, Werewolf. That corrects the uptime issue. DK was demonstrably at the top of the food chain before the ring. It's a class problem not a ring problem.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because you do not understand how PvP works doesn't mean they're "baseless"
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »

Slayer only works in Dungeons and Trials and does nothing for the rest of ESO content. Replacing Major Slayer with Major Heroism would be a big nerf overall in PVE. Believe that would go against the overall intent of the ring which I believe is an accessibility tool for some.

Stay safe :)

Where do you need Herosim, Berserk, and Force? In overland content? Where things can die in 3 seconds? The slayer buffs seem to be the best comprise so far. They will help struggling players in harder content, which is Dungeons and Trails. You do not need Herosim, Force, and Berserk for overland.
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (1 item) While equipped, you are unable to swap between your Primary and Backup Weapon Sets and gain Major Berserk, Major Courage, Major Brutality, Major Sorcery, Major Prophecy, Major Savagery, Major Force, Major Protection, Major Resolve, Minor Fortitude, Minor Intellect, Minor Endurance, and Major Heroism.

Attempted Fix:

"While under the effects of Battlespirit, Major Berserk, Major Courage, and Major Heroism are inactive."

This ring would still give the utility of an entire backbar without giving the utility of an entire team in PVP. I left Major Protection because taking less damage slows down combat and genuinely helps new players compete without giving them the trophy before the contest began. This approach also leaves PVE untouched so there is no conflict to be had there.

Essentially, this change would keep the ring viable for those who actually need it, but wouldn't push the floor into the ceiling.