Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Hodors Update - Are you aware

• Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    virtus753 wrote: »
    That new feature is also explicitly against ToS/CoC, even more indisputably than the first. I seriously hope it’s a bad joke.

It's just a joke. If you compare the .38 files with .36, they're identical. So the new .38 is just a full rollback of the changes made in .37.

Well, not funny. I'm not going to manually compare addon files on each update, especially if the update before contained some code which ppl disliked for valid reasons.
    He could at least add some visual indicators that it is a joke :grimace:
  • WolfStar07
    WolfStar07
    ✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    I see no problem when an addon adds new ways of interaction that are limited to the users of that addon. I'm concerned, though, that such thing can be added silently. If an addon uses such intrusive (even if allowed) functionality it should have some kind of well visible warning. Just my opinion, ofc.
    It is visible at the changelog, one should always read that :D
    It was not added silently, he described it and the purpose.

I'm not sure, but I think the concern was if the author chose not to include it in the changelog, users would not have known. I've seen other authors write "I've done A, B, and a bunch of other things that I don't feel like writing out." It doesn't happen often, and it sometimes isn't just coding stuff the average user wouldn't understand anyway. However, an author could theoretically include intrusive behaviors that very few people would be aware of if they chose not to post it.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, its not an addon authors fault, what possibilities developer (ZOS) opens in their API. Its devs responsibility to block such things.

Personally I dislike mods like hodor and dps meters or any other "required" addon for group play. I think they generally make the game and the community worse, but thats just my opinion.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Valve
    Valve
    ✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    Again, its not an addon authors fault, what possibilities developer (ZOS) opens in their API. Its devs responsibility to block such things.
    Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's intended or technically allowed. ZOS have changed things in the past e.g. Miat's PVP Alerts alerting NBs in stealth using abilities on you.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4725907#Comment_4725907

With great power comes great responsibility.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyerx4
    Flawless Conqueror all Classes
    3rd Anniversary!
    Guar Squad
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »

And again, you are absolutely wrong.

The offending feature used features that had legitimate and benign uses (for example, back when hard-casting frags was a huge DPS loss, I used an addon that prevented a player from accidentally casting a non-proced frag).

What wasn't okay was that he used these things in a way to create a feature where another player could affect your gameplay, without your consent (and no, just downloading the addon is not "consent").

The problem here isn't what the addon is technically capable of doing. The problem was that the addon was doing things without explicit user consent. And as I argued in my previous response to you, it is impossible for ZOS to police the consent problem. (If there was some magical fairy dust way to police consent, it would not be possible for malware to exist.)
    Edited by code65536 on June 23, 2022 11:07AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WolfStar07 wrote: »
    Baertram wrote: »
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    I see no problem when an addon adds new ways of interaction that are limited to the users of that addon. I'm concerned, though, that such thing can be added silently. If an addon uses such intrusive (even if allowed) functionality it should have some kind of well visible warning. Just my opinion, ofc.
    It is visible at the changelog, one should always read that :D
    It was not added silently, he described it and the purpose.

I'm not sure, but I think the concern was if the author chose not to include it in the changelog, users would not have known. I've seen other authors write "I've done A, B, and a bunch of other things that I don't feel like writing out." It doesn't happen often, and it sometimes isn't just coding stuff the average user wouldn't understand anyway. However, an author could theoretically include intrusive behaviors that very few people would be aware of if they chose not to post it.

Yes, this could be but you are never safe against that, if there is the will to harm.
    As I said you can oly circumvent this by no using any addon Or learnign lua, xml and addon coding and check the addons yourself before using them.
    Not even www.esoui.com staff is checking each uplaoded file contents in detail! You must not assume anyone does that for you. Either use them, or don't. We try to scan and protect each of you and us against scam and bad addons at best will and possibilitie (virus scans, briefly check files, tell the devs does and don'ts etc.). But there always "is and will be a risk".

I think in this case here there was no intention to harm anyone, it was just a try to fix the brain of other players...
    Good idea, but somehow bad solution.
    Edited by Baertram on June 23, 2022 11:40AM