The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you play ESO in first person view, third person, or both?

• oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    Third person almost always
    I started first person until I learned I had to see if my feet were in red.
    Options
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Third person.

I absolutely hate first person's limited field of vision, so I play only 3rd. It applies to any game, not just ESO or TES.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
    Options
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Mechanics require third person
    2. I like seeing my toon
    3. First person games make me motion sick
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know there are no visual cues in first person mode to know what is going on around you, if you're getting attacked from the side, from behind, or standing in bad. It's not pleasant, also the constant bouncing when running is a little nauseating to watch for long periods of time.
    Options
  • Sly80
    Sly80
    ✭✭✭
    First person view almost always
    First person, because that is what being a humanoid in any world is like. Companions give me eyes in the back of my head, as they do for any soldier on any combat mission. I don't want to be a puppeteer. I want to spend time actually living in Tamriel.
    Options
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sly80 wrote: »
    First person, because that is what being a humanoid in any world is like. Companions give me eyes in the back of my head, as they do for any soldier on any combat mission. I don't want to be a puppeteer. I want to spend time actually living in Tamriel.
    Same here, I prefer to role play my character. Playing in 3rd person is role playing character + player, not exactly realistic. The only time I switch to 3rd person view is when I want my character to dance, play a lute, etc.
    Edited by vsrs_au on June 19, 2022 10:20PM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third person mostly but some first person too
    There are special cases where I switch into first person, particularly in Imperial City because sometimes the camera angles in 3rd person are putting me at a disadvantage because I cannot properly look outside of a door way or something.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About half and half
    Both. For the most part third person, especially for crafting writs and dungeons although writs can be either. If I'm questing in general then I want to feel more immersion so will do it in first person mode.
    Options
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only time I use first person is to interact with things when there are multiple things that can be interacted with in the same spot.

That and sightseeing in new towns and cities.
    Options
  • ReeceLavellan
    ReeceLavellan
    ✭✭✭
    Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV/4 I all play first person. That's just how I play RPG's. Cannot stand playing 3rd person in any of those games! But with ESO I nearly always play in 3rd person, because its just 10x easier in terms of combat, finding places easily, and spotting loot (chests, resources, heavy sacks, etc). I go into 1st person sometimes for housing, or to take screenshots of other characters or houses.
    Let’s have some fun this beat is sick, I wanna take a ride on your disco stick.
    Options
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First person view almost always
    Oh wow, I'm rare.

Now, I do 3rd person when in dungeons and PVP so I can see stuff, but I like first person for everything else. I've always played Elder Scrolls games this way and I was very pleased to see it added to ESO.

If this was an entirely 3rd person game, I very likely would never have played ESO. There needed to be that feel of an Elder Scrolls game.
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
    Options
  • TPishek
    TPishek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only go into first person to take screenshots.
    Options
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sly80 wrote: »

i actually don't understand this perspective one bit. playing in first person, to me, in any game is not inherently a more "immersive" experience. in the case of eso, the clunkiness of the camera and oversaturation of visual noise ends up breaking my immersion in the game more than anything else. add to this the fact that playing in third person gives me a wider view of the world, which allows me to take in more of my surroundings at once, and it ends up feeling far more natural and as though i'm really "there", at least more than a first person camera does. (also, the fact that first person cameras in any game seem to imply your character is literally a floating camera with swords or a gun hovering in front of their eyes/lenses is always so jarring to me)

i felt the same way in fallout 4. the third person camera in that game is surprisingly intuitive and smooth (for a bethesda game), and seeing my character as an actual entity in the game world, with the surprisingly natural animations that game has served to immerse me in the game more than the first person camera ever could.
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
    Options
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rd person always... Main reason is that in 1st person mode, I get motion sickness within seconds, and second reason is that I do love to see my char.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I see fp as just a gimmick here, it's playable obviously but it's far from what I'd personally prefer even for very casual questing cause how it portrays effects and abilities used.
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Third person now, I used to play all first person until I got virtual motion sickness playing Skyrim VR. Now any first person triggers it
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played through the entire game in first person view - literally every quest, diligently clearing every zone, playing pretty much solo and having fun on my own (2014/2015).

Then I joined a guild and started getting into PVP. I wondered why I kept dying..... someone told me to go to third person view so I could see what was going on around me (this was my first PVP-type game, so that's probably the best PVP advice I ever had).

Never looked back, no pun intended !!
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
    Options
  • Kitziboo
    Kitziboo
    ✭✭✭
    Always third person.

I can’t play any first person games as the camera motion makes me nauseous 🤢
    Options
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3rs person almost always. The only time I will go into 1st person view is to screenshot a players attire and/or mount. There are some very creative players in this game.
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit plays in 2nd person view. Camera is perfectly centered on self, showing sleekness as khajiit combats monsters, makes sweetrolls, and takes from the world what is otherwise rightly his own.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless looking for something that can be hard to miss and such, no reason for me not to be third person
    Options
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kitziboo wrote: »
    Always third person.

I can’t play any first person games as the camera motion makes me nauseous 🤢

I'm the same way. Back during the EQ days, in the beginning I was able to play only first person. But, I soon started getting headaches and terrible eye strain. I discovered by accident I could play in 3rd person and everything started to go away.
    Options
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always third person and in maximum distance because otherwise the camera movement make me feel a bit queasy. I do the screenshots in first person sometimes though.
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have Never liked first person shooters. If I can't play a game in 3rd person, I don't play that game.

I Do have great disdain for my vision being blocked by things like Trees. I've played other games where such things fade away as the character moves through them, so you always have clear vision about what is around you. You get the immersion of being in a forrested area and seeing what the Character sees at their level, without the PLAYER's view being blocked.

:#
    Options
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Third person. The first person view in the game is very wonky and makes combat really difficult.
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't need FPS view for ESO playing.

1, Hit judgement area in ESO is unnaturally wide compared with average action game.
    2, Stupid missile arrow. We can't avoid it anyway. (No reason for FPS view)
    3, No M4A1 military rifle iron sight. :D FPS view is meaningless for sword and magic world.
    4, Consider ESO game mechanics, we must use perspective view to avoid dangerous damage zone.
    5, I want to keep watching outfit style of my characters.

My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • Lailaamell
    Lailaamell
    ✭✭✭
    1st person give me motion sickness
    Options
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First person mostly but some third person too
    First person and only 3rd person when other players are involved.

I also walk a lot and i wished it was possible to reset the mount speed at a shrine.
    Options
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean, i came to eso because i thought it was skyrim with co op, I was logicaly disappointed and eventually quit the game because i just didn't like what the game was and how hard it felt to play.

Later on i came back and i started enjoying the game so much more, Third person was always something i disliked until i was able to create a character that i visually enjoyed. Now i love third person :D ( this applies to all games)
    For many years i just played eso with costumes i got from crates or thieves guild heavy with glitched leg motif.
    Now my char looks like something i always wanted.
    I mean...Isobel says i look quite capable

dAd2Eww.png

Idk do i? isobel.

fDDuPls.png

Edited by francesinhalover on June 20, 2022 12:09PM
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first started, I was playing first person only. For most games, I prefer first person. But, once I started getting into PVP, I found that third person was almost required to do well. And I started an alt in third person to get used to it for PVP. Slowly, I shifted into playing fully third person on my main in all content. Found that having more field of view around the character made dungeon content so much easier.
    Options