The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Upcoming PC NA Datacenter Hardware Replacement

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    folko wrote: »
    Will EU servers also be getting a hardware update sometime in the future?

I expect they want it to be next. It is probably the next oldest in terms of hardware age.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    folko wrote: »
    Will EU servers also be getting a hardware update sometime in the future?

I expect they want it to be next. It is probably the next oldest in terms of hardware age.

I believe they stated that it was on the list to be refreshed as soon as possible, but that COVID was at least partially responsible for delaying things in general, even the NA refresh. Apparently it was a matter of the hardware having been delayed. So I don't think they have an actual projection for EU, except that it'll be ASAP.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Please let us know the ETA for the servers to be back up and functional.

• adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

pretty sure the ETA is 2pm Eastern time.
    Ray
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that they refuse to upgrade to servers that will have a noticeable impact on performance speaks volumes. Especially as they are bleeding players and guilds due to the never ending miserable performance in endgame.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    adirondack wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

pretty sure the ETA is 2pm Eastern time.

Yup, that's still correct as of 12:30pm ET. And if the time does slip backward significantly, they're usually pretty good at updating the banner's ETA. OP, your best bet is to simply continue to monitor the banner at the top of the forum page, and refresh the page periodically.
  • pat_augustine
    pat_augustine
    ✭✭
    The fact that they refuse to upgrade to servers that will have a noticeable impact on performance speaks volumes. Especially as they are bleeding players and guilds due to the never ending miserable performance in endgame.

I don't know what they are actually doing, but I have significant experience with Datacenter moves and upgrades. It's entirely possible that they aren't doing servers, but other infrastructure. Replacing all the switches and firewalls would also take a long time and wouldn't give any end-user noticeable performance gains.

Replacing servers isn't typically done in a single day event, but gradually over time. Routers and switches, on the other hand, pretty much have to be upgraded together.

Have they specified exactly what they are replacing?

It would be hard to replace 2012-era servers with modern hardware without some performance improvement... unless their backend code is mostly single-threaded. Modern computers simply throw more CPUs at the problem. The CPUs are faster due to better designs, but the biggest gain is in multi-threaded apps or running multiple apps so the more cores get used.

Database reads benefit from more cpus, but writes don't as the database is basically locked for any write. Building a database that can be written to by multiple cores at the same time without corruption remains a task we haven't solved yet.

If they are, in fact, replacing EVERY SERVER in the datacenter, that would be one hell of a project and I'm glad I don't have to do it. 8 hours shouldn't be sufficient for that for any data center of any significant size.
    Edited by pat_augustine on May 3, 2022 4:53PM
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what they are actually doing, but I have significant experience with Datacenter moves and upgrades. It's entirely possible that they aren't doing servers, but other infrastructure. Replacing all the switches and firewalls would also take a long time and wouldn't give any end-user noticeable performance gains.

Replacing servers isn't typically done in a single day event, but gradually over time. Routers and switches, on the other hand, pretty much have to be upgraded together.

It would be hard to replace 2012-era servers with modern hardware without some performance improvement... unless their backend code is mostly single-threaded. Modern computers simply throw more CPUs at the problem. The CPUs are faster due to better designs, but the biggest gain is in multi-threaded apps or running multiple apps so the more cores get used.

Database reads benefit from more cpus, but writes don't as the database is basically locked for any write. Building a database that can be written to by multiple cores at the same time without corruption remains a task we haven't solved yet.

If they are, in fact, replacing EVERY SERVER in the datacenter, that would be one hell of a project and I'm glad I don't have to do it. 8 hours shouldn't be sufficient for that for any data center of any significant size.

It's more likely that the new hardware is already imaged and configured and ready for deployment. Just needs to be connected and tested. As far as I've heard, everything is located in a little server room in the Zenimax HQ basement. It's not the same scale as an enterprise datacenter.
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    testing? who does that?
    Ray
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »

It's more likely that the new hardware is already imaged and configured and ready for deployment. Just needs to be connected and tested. As far as I've heard, everything is located in a little server room in the Zenimax HQ basement. It's not the same scale as an enterprise datacenter.

This for some reason scares me a little. The idea that millions of players have been logging onto a system that's in a little musty basement room? Egads
  • adirondack
    adirondack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm sure the ventilation is fine....
    Ray
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 386SX Windows 95 box shoved under Matt's desk. He uses it as a footrest in the afternoons while drinking his coffee... :smile:

Actually, to the best of what I recall got figured out back in 2014, it is actually in a full fledged commercial data center somewhere in Dallas. Likely not on ZOS property. Leased space. My bet is on Level 3/CenturyLink, but there are plenty of possibilities.

Whether they will relocate it to a Microsoft data center as part of the "hardware replacement" is unknown, but also unlikely.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This maintenance can somehow be related to the fact that many people lost their subscription?
    PC/EU
  • chrisfeng
    chrisfeng
    ✭✭✭

It's a 386SX Windows 95 box shoved under Matt's desk. He uses it as a footrest in the afternoons while drinking his coffee... :smile:

Actually, to the best of what I recall got figured out back in 2014, it is actually in a full fledged commercial data center somewhere in Dallas. Likely not on ZOS property. Leased space. My bet is on Level 3/CenturyLink, but there are plenty of possibilities.

Whether they will relocate it to a Microsoft data center as part of the "hardware replacement" is unknown, but also unlikely.

Where in Dallas? I would love to driver over and take a look at it.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so is it going to be 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC) or longer?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Xinihp
    Xinihp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be "that guy" but I just have to ask since you mention:
    This will not result in any appreciable performance gain

Is this exclusive to the server performance improvements that have been promised/talked about for a few years now? If the plan is to eventually upgrade the servers to address performance issues, does buying new hardware of the same tier as the old before it breaks from age mean that there will not be an additional purchase of HIGHER tier hardware to improve performance in the future?

Or is that something that is still planned separate from the hardware you are currently installing (which will not improve performance)?

Please don't read this as sarcastic or whatever. I am trying to be as gentle as possible with my concerns.

@ZOS_MattFiror

EDIT: I only ask because I love ESO and want to see it continue and improve in the future.

Edited by Xinihp on May 3, 2022 6:03PM
  • Merenwen_812
    Merenwen_812
    ✭✭✭
    14 more min. Don't see an extension in the banner.... wonder if they still on schedule or just not had time to update the banner..
    Xinihp wrote: »
    I hate to be "that guy" but I just have to ask.

Is this exclusive to the server performance improvements that have been promised/talked about for a few years now? If the plan is to eventually upgrade the servers to address performance issues, does buying new hardware of the same tier as the old before it breaks from age mean that there will not be an additional purchase of HIGHER tier hardware to improve performance in the future?

Or is that something that is still planned separate from the hardware you are currently installing (which will not improve performance)?

Please don't read this as sarcastic or whatever. I am trying to be as gentle as possible with my concerns.

@ZOS_MattFiror

EDIT: I only ask because I love ESO and want to see it continue and improve in the future.

oh my, I never thought that they were replacing them with the same stuff, I kinda just assumed that they were upgrading ..I better go re-read as I may have misunderstood completely O.o
    Edited by Merenwen_812 on May 3, 2022 5:53PM
  • Xinihp
    Xinihp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my, I never thought that they were replacing them with the same stuff, I kinda just assumed that they were upgrading ..I better go re-read as I may have misunderstood completely O.o

Yeah, unfortunately he specifically stated it will not improve performance, only reliability (because it isn't 10-years old):
    This will not result in any appreciable performance gain

Which is what makes me wonder if they are still planning on making additional purchases that DO improve performance in the future.

Edited by Xinihp on May 3, 2022 6:00PM
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [EXTENDED] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – May 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Merenwen_812
    Merenwen_812
    ✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    [EXTENDED] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – May 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

and there it is *sad face*
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DAMN!!! that was my 1st PC as a kid and my 1st game was Elder Scrolls 9 floppy disks!! or 8 i cant rememeber now.. Would still be an awesome game if the graphics weren't duke nukem =p
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, so much for checking in on Guild Trader Bids.
    Wench is a sad panda... :(
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • alphasquid
    alphasquid
    ✭✭

I love the fact you used a 386SX instead of the much better 386DX. You are a person that knows their computer history.
  • Athanasia_Nocnitsa
    Athanasia_Nocnitsa
    ✭✭✭

And that's anoter day without eso; bye bye seals of endeavor etc. :'(
  • Alyxseus
    Alyxseus
    Soul Shriven
    I'm so excited to see the new game breaking bugs. o:)
    [PC/NA] @Alyxseus
  • kassandra86
    kassandra86
    ✭✭
    Is there a way we can do maintenance on literally any other day? Having it on Monday nights/Tuesday mornings directly interferes with guild trader flips. I understand doing it during the week so that when issues arise there are staff on deck to fix these issues. But imho it's the worst day for any Trading Guild GMs :(
    GM of The Ninja Squirrels - NA PC
  • DLM
    DLM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a joke. Except it is not funny.
  • chrisfeng
    chrisfeng
    ✭✭✭

And that's anoter day without eso; bye bye seals of endeavor etc. :'(

If we pile on this, they may gave us another 1800 coins next week.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭

Well, so much for checking in on Guild Trader Bids.
    Wench is a sad panda... :(

And on daily logins, and on endeavors, and on lots of other daily stuff.