The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Explorer.exe restart after PTS quit

• Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    This problem looks like a Hack and if it is the ZOS you are going to have some major fallout. I am already quitting the PTS as of now. If this issue makes it to the live server then you lose one more customer and I am dead serious about that. Either fix the issue or face the consequences. You can't hack a part of someone's operating system and get away with it. Over and done. I will say no more.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leaved message and comments for @ZOS_Kevin and @ZOS_GinaBruno
    But i don't hope for answer.
    Really sorry for my english
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey all, wanted to follow up here. The team is aware of this issue and identified a fix. They are working on this now. We’ll follow up once we have a date for the fix.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for answering. I will reinstall the PTS once it is fixed. As soon as I removed it the PTS released its hold on a part of the OS called Focus Assist so you can see why people felt like they did.
    Edited by Dovahkiin02191973 on May 3, 2022 11:05PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hey all, wanted to follow up here. The team is aware of this issue and identified a fix. They are working on this now. We’ll follow up once we have a date for the fix.

Thanks for the update @ZOS_Kevin.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adding my extreme annoyance to this. What were you thinking? Really... What were you thinking?
  • Dosska
    Dosska
    ✭✭
    So is this issue now on the live server? Yesterday I opened the launcher but then decided not to play. After closing the launcher steam would not connect. I had to reboot to get steam to work again and during the reboot there was some odd behavior. With the issues surrounding ESO lately I find it hard to believe that this was just a coincidence. I had recently started playing ESO again and until after this last patch had not had any issues. Considering some of the comments I've seen here about this problem potentially wrecking my computer I'm hesitant to try the game again until this problem has been fixed.

I'm on Win 10 but I've been following the thread about the WIn 7 Chrome issue on a friend's behalf. So from what I understand this problem was supposed to be a fix for that problem? I was planning on resubscribing to ESO once the Win 7 problem had been fixed. I've been waiting to make sure it does get fixed so my friend and I can play together. But considering this whole fiasco and how long this has gone on I have to say I'm feeling a serious lack of trust in the devs at this point and am seriously reconsidering ever subscribing to ESO again.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Nah this issue has not reached the Live Servers. I tried to recreate your scenario with my Steam installation on the Live and everything went just fine. The error you got with Steam was a Steam error that just happens sometimes. I have had the same error on plenty of occasions. I no longer have the PTS installed on my PC and it won't be until this error that this thread is about is resolved. I called ZOS out on this issue risking everything hoping someone from the team would answer and Kevin responded. Now we just wait until they implement the fix.
    Edited by Dovahkiin02191973 on May 4, 2022 7:36PM
  • Dosska
    Dosska
    ✭✭
    Nah this issue has not reached the Live Servers. I tried to recreate your scenario with my Steam installation on the Live and everything went just fine. The error you got with Steam was a Steam error that just happens sometimes. I have had the same error on plenty of occasions. I no longer have the PTS installed on my PC and it won't be until this error that this thread is about is resolved. I called ZOS out on this issue risking everything hoping someone from the team would answer and Kevin responded. Now we just wait until they implement the fix.

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify my ESO version is not on steam. Not sure if that would make any kind of difference. I've had similar issue with steam before as well but thought it could be related to recent ESO patch this time considering the other issues lately. I'm going to try it again soon and see what happens.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dosska wrote: »
    So is this issue now on the live server? Yesterday I opened the launcher but then decided not to play. After closing the launcher steam would not connect. I had to reboot to get steam to work again and during the reboot there was some odd behavior. With the issues surrounding ESO lately I find it hard to believe that this was just a coincidence. I had recently started playing ESO again and until after this last patch had not had any issues. Considering some of the comments I've seen here about this problem potentially wrecking my computer I'm hesitant to try the game again until this problem has been fixed.

I'm on Win 10 but I've been following the thread about the WIn 7 Chrome issue on a friend's behalf. So from what I understand this problem was supposed to be a fix for that problem? I was planning on resubscribing to ESO once the Win 7 problem had been fixed. I've been waiting to make sure it does get fixed so my friend and I can play together. But considering this whole fiasco and how long this has gone on I have to say I'm feeling a serious lack of trust in the devs at this point and am seriously reconsidering ever subscribing to ESO again.

There was an original problem when quitting the PTS under UD33 which meant you were unable to run Chrome, Steam, and Glyph (possibly other Chrome-related applications but those were the ones that I experienced) after running the PTS. This affected both Windows 7 machines and, in my case to a lesser extent, those Windows 10 machines which had been upgraded from Windows 7 rather than having a clean install of Windows 10. That issue also then applied to the Live servers when UD33 was patched to them. Merely running the launcher as far as the login screen didn't create the issue, you had to log in to the game at least as far as the character screen.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, ZOS have applied a "fix" to the PTS for UD34 which does solve the issue but at the expense of causing the other problems when exiting the PTS as detailed in this thread.

You appear to be suffering from the original issue, perhaps your Windows 10 was installed as an upgrade from Windows 7, but you also need to be aware that it is not an issue that is unique to ESO. If you also run Fallout 76, for example, that caused the same problem although I don't know if it has been fixed yet for that game.

Hopefully that helps clarify things rather than muddying the water!
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    It does for me. Thanks for this information. I am on Windows 11 and still have the issues. When I deleted the PTS from my PC yesterday it gave me back full control of my OS so that says to me the whole thing is a serious batch of mis-coding on ZOS's part when attempting to fix all of the areas mentioned.
  • Dosska
    Dosska
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Dosska wrote: »

There was an original problem when quitting the PTS under UD33 which meant you were unable to run Chrome, Steam, and Glyph (possibly other Chrome-related applications but those were the ones that I experienced) after running the PTS. This affected both Windows 7 machines and, in my case to a lesser extent, those Windows 10 machines which had been upgraded from Windows 7 rather than having a clean install of Windows 10. That issue also then applied to the Live servers when UD33 was patched to them. Merely running the launcher as far as the login screen didn't create the issue, you had to log in to the game at least as far as the character screen.

In an attempt to resolve the issue, ZOS have applied a "fix" to the PTS for UD34 which does solve the issue but at the expense of causing the other problems when exiting the PTS as detailed in this thread.

You appear to be suffering from the original issue, perhaps your Windows 10 was installed as an upgrade from Windows 7, but you also need to be aware that it is not an issue that is unique to ESO. If you also run Fallout 76, for example, that caused the same problem although I don't know if it has been fixed yet for that game.

Hopefully that helps clarify things rather than muddying the water!

Yes it does and thanks for the response. I just tried ESO again and Steam worked afterward so, as Dovah suggested, it must have been a Steam issue unrelated to ESO.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Dosska
    Steam have sometimes some weird issues with autologin. For me working only close game, launcher and steam and run it again and it will work. SOmetimes work only PC restart.
    So this described issue with closing PTS is only after you close the PTS version of the game not live version.

@ZOS_Kevin
    Really thank you for response and that someone look at this issue.
  • Scarr
    Scarr
    ✭✭✭
    I am using the stand alone launcher by the way, (non-steam).

I see the dev team replied, that is great. Please let us know when it is fixed, until then I cannot play on PTS due to the crashing of explorer.exe, taskbar and several functions in the taskbar tray.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scarr wrote: »
    I am using the stand alone launcher by the way, (non-steam).

I see the dev team replied, that is great. Please let us know when it is fixed, until then I cannot play on PTS due to the crashing of explorer.exe, taskbar and several functions in the taskbar tray.

Just a FYI I've noticed the exe isn't restarting if it close the game through task manager maybe it won't for you if you want to play in the meantime
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    If this is fixed in tomorrow's maintenance I will reinstall the PTS and continue where I left off. If not then I will be waiting for the time when they do get it fixed. Wish I knew more but Kevin's response was days ago and we have not heard a word since.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I hoping for fix but I don't expect that they will fix it by todays patch...
  • JoSePHRiNG
    JoSePHRiNG
    ✭✭✭
    Since my computer is old I thought it was just happening to me. I did not even know it was about PTS, thanks for the thread.
    Jorvuld's Guidance and SPC all the way down.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    The bad news is that they did not fix this issue with today’s patch. The PTS is still in maintenance mode so it is not playable yet. I have it installed on another PC and I logged in to the sign in screen. Upon exit the explorer crashed but it fired right back up in a few seconds. This is a Windows 10 PC. My Windows 11 lost system tray icons and a lot of other stuff. So far on a Windows 10 PC while the problem is there it corrects itself right away. They still need to fix this though as not everyone is going to get the same results.
  • Scarr
    Scarr
    ✭✭✭
    So, this also crashes not only explorer.exe but also any Corsair iCUE fan/cooling/radiator cooling software you are running. My PC overheated and shutdown because of this. This needs to be addressed before I bill you for some damaged components.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh - That is not good. I don’t have that hardware but knowing that it does this the devs should put the PTS under emergency maintenance to fix this problem. It’s like they are trying to sweep it under the rug and hope that it will go away. Sorry ZOS but bad coding doesn’t go away. Players could take legal action if they incur damage to their PC because of a problem you created, know about, acknowledged but yet have done nothing.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, this also crashes not only explorer.exe but also any Corsair iCUE fan/cooling/radiator cooling software you are running. My PC overheated and shutdown because of this. This needs to be addressed before I bill you for some damaged components.

This is bad vera bad....
    @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno Can you please tell us when dev will fix this?
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next week will probably be the final PTS update before it goes live, so we'll have to keep our fingers crossed to have it fixed.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My cooling fans go crazy when I exit the game on live, and it always crashes the game. Then I get the Windows error message, reporting to Microsoft to see if there's a fix, etc. And that's on a Win 10 i7 system.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    I have decided not to use the PTS anymore as this issue is going ignored. We will see if it makes live when they launch High Isle. If it does I am gone from the game for good. Tired of dealing with ZOS. I don't have a GPU with fans. It is an nVidia GT 730 which is the only card I could find compatible with my old DELL. It's just enough to run ESO in low settings and get 60 FPS. It has a metal heat sink. However my CPU is covered by a fan and if this issue is killing fans then my system is probably getting a bit hot. Not going to take a chance on overheating. Like I said ZOS I am done with the PTS. I really don't have disk space to take up something that has issues like this so either fix the issue ASAP or other players are going to be doing the same.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    We can only hope for fix. I stopped using PTS too. I don't want let some game mess with my OS.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, this should be their number one priority. I could care less about all the other complaints coming in. This issue is affecting everyone and some probably think it is normal when it is not. ZOS needs to put the PTS under emergency maintenance until the problem is solved. Don't care if that has to be days but no all they are doing is pushing the PTS as is hoping to get some positive feedback from players when 99% of what they are getting is bull. I refuse to use the PTS in its current state. If this problem makes it to live on launch date that will be the end of my playing the game.
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

We realy hope for fix at monday's 8.0.4 patch.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope today's patch will bring some positive news to this issue.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    I will wait for the NATCH POTES :) and actually read them. If they indicate this problem has been solved I will reinstall the PTS.