The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dark Convergence is still totally out of balance, totally unreasonable set to exist in PvP

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xDeusEJRx wrote: »
    Imagine; being so bold as to take attack and defend keeps and pass anywhere near just a handful of players with just 1 squishy and happen to evade 1 DC only to roll into another and pulled right next to said squishy blowing up already triggered Occult overloads, plague break, and VD. How dare you all doing this. You should be out farming a resource solo. Not only is it not ok to be stacked in a mass, but being in the same keep as a handful of other players is also zerging and you should be punished. And those of you who dare try to group with players who are new, and weaker PvPers; how dare you!

There's nothing wrong with zerging just be aware that you put a target on your back for people running DC plaguebreak and vicious death to go after. If you choose to zerg or zerg surf a zerg that's the position you put yourself in. I think it's fine to have sets that break up groups like this otherwise we'd have 50 people running over the map continuously.

Zergs could always split their numbers and push different sides of the map at once but instead decide it's better to 50 man every keep. So it makes these bomb-esque builds easy to pull off. Which is why there's an abundance of these type of players going around.

It's just putting a target on your back for bombers

Except again; it doesn't require being around a zerg. Just happen into a couple squishies. Wayyyy less than 50.

50 was just an example but the idea I was giving off is that it's zerg surging each other. People in this game zerg surf a lot or have zerg surfing mentality. They see other players, they follow them around mindlessly which allows bomb builds to target them.
    Is it a fault of your own?
    Not necessarily but it's a matter of zerg surging, where people just want to follow around what they consider to be a zerg or large group. There's LOTS of people that zerg surf and leech off actual zerg groups but zerg surfing is still zerging nonetheless.
    We need to spread faction population across the map so we don't run into 50 man faction stack situations which is encouraged by these zerg surfing players.

I play PVP solo primarily and I've never run into these "squishies" that ever proc dark convergence on me to make it a problem. If I see DC or PB or whatever it's a single iteration so it never deals any considerable damage to me only since I never play around other players

So to stay"solo" then you are not taking keeps or defending I presume? Because people show up and it doesn't even take 12 people around you to get ripped in by a DC right to a couple being blown up with Occult overload, PB, and VD. Technically it probably only takes 2 it 3 others with that 12k oblivion damage.

And you do realize saying "I run solo so I don't have a problem with DC so just stay away from others" is the exact same as people who say "I pick flowers and do housing, so lag is not a problem in ESO" is the exact same thing; right? I mean great; we are all proud of you being such a soloist. Congrats. But the objectives tend to draw and require a little bit more than 1 solo
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's one of the laziest ways to the play the game, myself.

I think a lot of set additions are 'lazy' to be honest. Lazy in the sense that you just keep making things like the old 90's Bazooka games. I've said it before, it still reminds me of that era.
  • Lynxyn
    Lynxyn
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine; being so bold as to take attack and defend keeps and pass anywhere near just a handful of players with just 1 squishy and happen to evade 1 DC only to roll into another and pulled right next to said squishy blowing up already triggered Occult overloads, plague break, and VD. How dare you all doing this. You should be out farming a resource solo. Not only is it not ok to be stacked in a mass, but being in the same keep as a handful of other players is also zerging and you should be punished. And those of you who dare try to group with players who are new, and weaker PvPers; how dare you!

There's nothing wrong with zerging just be aware that you put a target on your back for people running DC plaguebreak and vicious death to go after. If you choose to zerg or zerg surf a zerg that's the position you put yourself in. I think it's fine to have sets that break up groups like this otherwise we'd have 50 people running over the map continuously.

Zergs could always split their numbers and push different sides of the map at once but instead decide it's better to 50 man every keep. So it makes these bomb-esque builds easy to pull off. Which is why there's an abundance of these type of players going around.

Except again; it doesn't require being around a zerg. Just happen into a couple squishies. Wayyyy less than 50.

50 was just an example but the idea I was giving off is that it's zerg surging each other. People in this game zerg surf a lot or have zerg surfing mentality. They see other players, they follow them around mindlessly which allows bomb builds to target them.
    Not necessarily but it's a matter of zerg surging, where people just want to follow around what they consider to be a zerg or large group. There's LOTS of people that zerg surf and leech off actual zerg groups but zerg surfing is still zerging nonetheless.
    We need to spread faction population across the map so we don't run into 50 man faction stack situations which is encouraged by these zerg surfing players.

I play PVP solo primarily and I've never run into these "squishies" that ever proc dark convergence on me to make it a problem. If I see DC or PB or whatever it's a single iteration so it never deals any considerable damage to me only since I never play around other players

So to stay"solo" then you are not taking keeps or defending I presume? Because people show up and it doesn't even take 12 people around you to get ripped in by a DC right to a couple being blown up with Occult overload, PB, and VD. Technically it probably only takes 2 it 3 others with that 12k oblivion damage.

And you do realize saying "I run solo so I don't have a problem with DC so just stay away from others" is the exact same as people who say "I pick flowers and do housing, so lag is not a problem in ESO" is the exact same thing; right? I mean great; we are all proud of you being such a soloist. Congrats. But the objectives tend to draw and require a little bit more than 1 solo

DCon is unironically bad right now. It's literally the most telegraphed damag in the entire game and if you're dying to someone throwing it at you from 40 meters away then you're standing in a group of 10 players who are just as much of a potato as you are. If anything is broken right now it's the builds that run around with oakensoul spamming ultimates like they're basic abilities.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lynxyn wrote: »

DCon is unironically bad right now. It's literally the most telegraphed damag in the entire game and if you're dying to someone throwing it at you from 40 meters away then you're standing in a group of 10 players who are just as much of a potato as you are. If anything is broken right now it's the builds that run around with oakensoul spamming ultimates like they're basic abilities.

So many gymnastics to fit a narrative around here to try to come up with what kind of player I am to excuse it away. I rarely die to DC but to have to be constantly avoiding it as zergs spam it is annoying, and eventually you need to do something other than run out of the red circles. And again, sometimes you are in confined spaces because the objectives call for it.

And if DC is so bad right now; why is there anyone so defensive about changing it? Good ball groups and small man's could kill fine before without it. Decent bombers didn't need it. Seems it's people afraid of hitting scrub status again
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on July 21, 2022 6:36PM
  • Flangdoodle
    Flangdoodle
    ✭✭✭
    If a ball group is killing you with dark convergence, then you aren’t solo, you’re zerging. No ball group is going to drop on a solo, unless you’re someone they know (in which case you’re going to expect it).

DC does little to no dmg if you’re the only one in it, and I realize you maybe saying “I’m solo” as in you’re not in a group, but the point remains if you’re not grouped but standing in a zerg, you’re zerging. And if you’re dying to it, then you’re with too many people in the center.

HA! I don't know what platform/campaign you run in, but in PC/NA Gray Host all the ball groups ever do is focus on single players. Then they move to another single player then another etc. It's a strategy. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't know that Ive ever seen a ball group directly engage another organized group.

Your implication that the purpose of the DC spamming is the damage is also mistaken. It's not the damage, its the stun and immobilize, the damage is just icing. They use other skills for damage while youre stunned.

This idea that ball groups exist to counter zergs is a myth.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a sea of Dark Convergence procs during every major battle. And the more lag the worse it gets. This set will pull from what appears to be 20 plus meters from the proc site in heavy lag. It's so frustrating and just plain wrong.

[snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 7, 2022 10:27AM
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see DCon as main problem here. If there is one DCon, then it is easy avoid it. Problem is, that ballgroups use it to evoke lags on their enemies by spaming it.
    Edited by Elendir2am on July 31, 2022 8:04AM
  • Lynxyn
    Lynxyn
    ✭✭✭

So many gymnastics to fit a narrative around here to try to come up with what kind of player I am to excuse it away. I rarely die to DC but to have to be constantly avoiding it as zergs spam it is annoying, and eventually you need to do something other than run out of the red circles. And again, sometimes you are in confined spaces because the objectives call for it.

And if DC is so bad right now; why is there anyone so defensive about changing it? Good ball groups and small man's could kill fine before without it. Decent bombers didn't need it. Seems it's people afraid of hitting scrub status again

What gymnastics? I pointed out the type of player you are. The only people who die to this set are people who are unaware and stack on top of others who are also unaware. No one with the average amount of hp you see in cyro is dying to this set unless it's a ball group ult dumping you and just using the set for cc and they will more than happily swap back to destro ult dumps if needed. No bombers who are actually trying to optimize are even using it either magblades are still using VD and a raw stat set and playing in melee with proxy det and tether. Not to mention it feels like pretty much every zerg ever has multiple max ultigen sorcs spamming negate and earthgore which deletes dcon. It deserves to exist simply as an alternative to conventional builds which outperform it anyways. It MIGHT survive the upcoming u35 nerf, but anything further will almost guarantee it's spot in the garbage heap next to sets like sloads and malacath. Anyone wanting to be a ranged bomber will find way more success just playing a bow stamblade and bursting someone down with that they've applied plaguebreak and inevitable det to instead of relying on a giant purple telegraphed ring that can be deleted by earthgore or negate.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DC has been broken since the most recent maintenance. It's pulling people from far outside of the AOE
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set just ruins the PvP gameplay is all it does. The most toxic thing you used to have to deal with in Cyrodiil was one or two bombers here and there but now every single person is running this stupid set jerking you into the middle of a bunch of BS before you can break free out of it. You can’t fight organized groups running this set.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What gymnastics? I pointed out the type of player you are. The only people who die to this set are people who are unaware and stack on top of others who are also unaware. No one with the average amount of hp you see in cyro is dying to this set unless it's a ball group ult dumping you and just using the set for cc and they will more than happily swap back to destro ult dumps if needed. No bombers who are actually trying to optimize are even using it either magblades are still using VD and a raw stat set and playing in melee with proxy det and tether. Not to mention it feels like pretty much every zerg ever has multiple max ultigen sorcs spamming negate and earthgore which deletes dcon. It deserves to exist simply as an alternative to conventional builds which outperform it anyways. It MIGHT survive the upcoming u35 nerf, but anything further will almost guarantee it's spot in the garbage heap next to sets like sloads and malacath. Anyone wanting to be a ranged bomber will find way more success just playing a bow stamblade and bursting someone down with that they've applied plaguebreak and inevitable det to instead of relying on a giant purple telegraphed ring that can be deleted by earthgore or negate.

Ok so wait. What kind of player am I again? Do you even know who I am? Not a cocky sort of thing, just a legit question.

I see zergs spamming DC wayyyy more than negates.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true. In heavy fighting the set pulls from WAY outside it's designated pull zone. Blocking does nothing to stop it from happening, and then you usually can't break free from the stun.

I believe the only people defending this set are the ones running it. They know how broken it is but everyone loves a good crutch and easy AP.
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of gaslighting in this thread. Idk about other servers but PC NA Greyhost is a mess with this set. It doesn’t reliably render in large keep battles. That’s a fact. You can have every other ground effect go save for this one.

Other than that I have been pulled numerous times from top keep to bottom. Why? It never rendered on push after door falls. To complicate matters I’m able to heal and damage during the time I’m not yo-yo’d across keep. That’s beyond broken, interesting enough I don’t take damage either during the yo-yo.

Also anyone please test this, sit back at a big keep fight and watch players and groups of all skill levels get pulled without reacting. It’s happening because dark convergence isn’t rendering.

I’m environments where the action is not super intense there isn’t a render issue. Easily dodged. The sole issue with this set is it doesn’t render in the most intense environments which is where the majority of people gravitate too. This set wouldn’t have rendered at all during Chalamo. That’s the issue, defenders stop gaslighting and acknowledge the performance issues with the set.
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭
    sinnereso wrote: »
    The double pull was too much but the single is sooo easily avoidable unless yur dead or afk its hard not to. The dmg is respectable but if your afk you were gonna die anyway

It's hardly avoidable when there are three and four overlapping casts of it from the same group. Sure, one DC pull is easily survivable, but that isn't how it's used most of the time. By the time you've survived a couple or few, you're crawling away with no resources until someone finally puts one in your head.
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭
    Boycott Dark Convergence. Yeah, you.

And Plaguebreak.

They are completely overtuned and frankly silly.

No place in this great game

Hello Prisoner's Dilemma, nice to meet you.
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyRay wrote: »
    Someone might have said this already, but ...

Dark Convergence is not an issue if you understand how it works.

A.) Don't stand near people with 25k health and under.
    B.) Maybe just don't group at all? If you hate zergs and ball groups so much then there is no need to linger near others.
    C.) Roll dodge after you get pulled in and heal.

I use DC on my sorc to defend against ball groups and zergs, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I also heal people through DC pulls. Usually if I do the steps listed above, everyone survives. It's a little tiring hearing people complain about this set just because they die from it.

That's actually not it. I rarely die from DC even with multiple casts. What sucks is that skilled play goes out the window as soon as you get pulled. Lining up a combo just gets blown away being pulled over and over, then if you're using Clever or Acuity, or Sea Serpent, you've got to fully reset and come back at it again, just to be pulled out of your combo again. It completely breaks the flow of combat.

This is very different than the calls for nerfs to DK and others, because this set is so overused in PvP you can't go 5 minutes without being hit by it. When you can reliably count on just about every magcro in PvP using one specific set 99% of the time, it's obviously overtuned. ZoS doesn't actually go after powerful sets every time so much as they go after sets that are used to the exclusion of nearly all others. Despite the nerfs that have already occurred, that still remains the case. The increase in cooldown in the next patch won't do a thing to change that when you've got multiple people in a group using it and coordinating.

I'm happy for you that it helps defend your group, but you and I both know that's not how it's used by the vast majority of players equipping it.

And I'm not going to reiterate how your friendly advice doesn't work well or at all in heavy lag, which this set seems to contribute to. It also pulls from outside it's visual radius due to position desync. You can do all the right things and still get sucked into this black hole of a proc. It makes already obnoxious lag intolerable.
  • Lynxyn
    Lynxyn
    ✭✭✭

Ok so wait. What kind of player am I again? Do you even know who I am? Not a cocky sort of thing, just a legit question.

Based on the fact that you are complaining about DCon, a potato. I am not a good player by any means and I literally just don't die to this set. The aoe is painfully obvious and you have plenty of time to react by blocking the pull. I've walked out of like 50 DCons today in cyro with the only time I "died" to one being when I was on a back flag in a keep held by blue (who had yellow scroll) with every single faction being there and hammer breaking both posterns and the front door. I didn't even die to the set in reality I died to the 30 blues who poured in with it so I would of died either way. This set LITERALLY only kills absolute potatoes maybe every once in a while it's paired with a good player who's harmony bombing, but they were already doing that before DCon just like ball groups were already wiping people before DCon. There's a billion other things that are miles more broken than this set such as oakensoul, HA builds hitting for 35k, caluurions, the fact that you can purge siege etc etc. If I wanted to have the playstyle of a ranged bomber I'd rather be a snipe burst build using plaguebreak and inevitable detonation because they don't have massive tells like DCon nor do they have to wait for the affects to happen because both plague and inevitable det proc if you kill the player. 80% of the DCon procs you see are from random people up in keeps who only use the set because they see people whining that it's "OP". If I cared enough to keep track of how many DCons I see actually result in a fair amount of kills it'd probably be 10-30% of the procs. The fact that this set is meant to do one singular thing and even then it's worse at it than VD and war maidens or plaguebreak + a burst build is horrendous and makes it makes me laugh whenever I see someone complain about it on here.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Based on the fact that you are complaining about DCon, a potato. I am not a good player by any means and I literally just don't die to this set. The aoe is painfully obvious and you have plenty of time to react by blocking the pull. I've walked out of like 50 DCons today in cyro with the only time I "died" to one being when I was on a back flag in a keep held by blue (who had yellow scroll) with every single faction being there and hammer breaking both posterns and the front door. I didn't even die to the set in reality I died to the 30 blues who poured in with it so I would of died either way. This set LITERALLY only kills absolute potatoes maybe every once in a while it's paired with a good player who's harmony bombing, but they were already doing that before DCon just like ball groups were already wiping people before DCon. There's a billion other things that are miles more broken than this set such as oakensoul, HA builds hitting for 35k, caluurions, the fact that you can purge siege etc etc. If I wanted to have the playstyle of a ranged bomber I'd rather be a snipe burst build using plaguebreak and inevitable detonation because they don't have massive tells like DCon nor do they have to wait for the affects to happen because both plague and inevitable det proc if you kill the player. 80% of the DCon procs you see are from random people up in keeps who only use the set because they see people whining that it's "OP". If I cared enough to keep track of how many DCons I see actually result in a fair amount of kills it'd probably be 10-30% of the procs. The fact that this set is meant to do one singular thing and even then it's worse at it than VD and war maidens or plaguebreak + a burst build is horrendous and makes it makes me laugh whenever I see someone complain about it on here.

Like I said; mental gymnastics. You keep arguing a strawman about dying to DC when that's not what I said. I mean; you walked out of 50 DCs? You find having to do that constantly fun gameplay? You should reread what I said about DC in the posts you are quoting.
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on August 5, 2022 10:56AM
  • Ballzy321
    Ballzy321
    ✭✭✭
    The lag is what makes this set a nightmare. The amount of times I don’t see or hear this set go off is what makes this set so strong and [snip]. The radius tho is the real problem.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 7, 2022 10:29AM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lunaslide wrote: »
    Someone might have said this already, but ...

Dark Convergence is not an issue if you understand how it works.

A.) Don't stand near people with 25k health and under.
    B.) Maybe just don't group at all? If you hate zergs and ball groups so much then there is no need to linger near others.
    C.) Roll dodge after you get pulled in and heal.

I use DC on my sorc to defend against ball groups and zergs, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I also heal people through DC pulls. Usually if I do the steps listed above, everyone survives. It's a little tiring hearing people complain about this set just because they die from it.

That's actually not it. I rarely die from DC even with multiple casts. What sucks is that skilled play goes out the window as soon as you get pulled. Lining up a combo just gets blown away being pulled over and over, then if you're using Clever or Acuity, or Sea Serpent, you've got to fully reset and come back at it again, just to be pulled out of your combo again. It completely breaks the flow of combat.

This is very different than the calls for nerfs to DK and others, because this set is so overused in PvP you can't go 5 minutes without being hit by it. When you can reliably count on just about every magcro in PvP using one specific set 99% of the time, it's obviously overtuned. ZoS doesn't actually go after powerful sets every time so much as they go after sets that are used to the exclusion of nearly all others. Despite the nerfs that have already occurred, that still remains the case. The increase in cooldown in the next patch won't do a thing to change that when you've got multiple people in a group using it and coordinating.

I'm happy for you that it helps defend your group, but you and I both know that's not how it's used by the vast majority of players equipping it.

And I'm not going to reiterate how your friendly advice doesn't work well or at all in heavy lag, which this set seems to contribute to. It also pulls from outside it's visual radius due to position desync. You can do all the right things and still get sucked into this black hole of a proc. It makes already obnoxious lag intolerable.

I'm convinced the only people defending this set are the players crutching on it's grossly OP and broken effectiveness. There are multiple significant problems with Dark Convergence that still exist to this day. The biggest problem is it pulls from WAY WAY outside it's designated range. Then there is the issue of the animation often not rendering at all. But the biggest problem is ball groups dropping 3-5 procs at the same time in nearly the same location, resulting in a totally indefensible situation and certain death. ZOS claimed the set was designed to combat ball groups, but in real game situations is superpowers ball groups. But the part I hate most about the set is it's a free, brainless proc that doesn't even have to be aimed. This is yet another set that eliminates the skill gap. (yes, eliminating the skill gap is bad in almost all instances)
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait until this set is nerfed and everyone realizes just how much stronger Rush of Agony is and has always been
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't wait until this set is nerfed and everyone realizes just how much stronger Rush of Agony is and has always been

It probably needs the same treatment or something similar, but at least it kind of exposes the user to be within melee.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It probably needs the same treatment or something similar, but at least it kind of exposes the user to be within melee.

I mean the most efficient DC bombs will also expose the user to melee because they'll have to activate a synergy. Rush is just better in every way, lower cooldown, more reliable damage, much harder to counter as it isn't telegraphed at all, and it doesn't apply CC immunity.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone uses DC for bombs, I use it on my sorc and she isn't a bomber. Most of the time, it's used to ruin other bombers. If you know who the bombers are, you know when to negate or pull them from each other.
    ⭑・゚゚・*:༅。.。༅:*゚:*:✼✿ DaisyRay ✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone uses DC for bombs, I use it on my sorc and she isn't a bomber. Most of the time, it's used to ruin other bombers. If you know who the bombers are, you know when to negate or pull them from each other.

That logic is a little flawed because who else could possibly know Dcon better than the bombers themselves? If anything, a Dcon will help them disguise their bombs rather than disrupt them in any meaningful way.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »

That logic is a little flawed because who else could possibly know Dcon better than the bombers themselves? If anything, a Dcon will help them disguise their bombs rather than disrupt them in any meaningful way.

Lol I didn't say it always works. Sometimes it does, but when it comes to the really good bombers (cough, you), it might not work as well. However, my point is that DC can be used for things other than bombing. So if you completely nerf it then you're just ruining another set for people who don't bomb. Alas, I know no one cares. If they die from something, their only move is to nerf it. Aren't we so happy that everything will be nerfed in up35?
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rush of Agony is behind a paywall and requires farming. You can't buy it.
  • DaisyRay
    DaisyRay
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly it's not that hard to avoid. My navigation is atrocious and even I can avoid it. If I get caught, it's usually my own fault and not the set. Just saying!
  • KiloCrown
    KiloCrown
    ✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    [snip]

I don't know how these forums work - I literally only made mine to talk about this subject. In fact, I've never participated in any other forum, save for reading through some at times. Just passionate about this one though. I guess this is my last-ditch effort to get ZOS attention on the matter and make a change so I can continue playing what used to be my favorite game.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 7, 2022 10:33AM
  • lunaslide
    lunaslide
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight in Blackreach a new to pvp player said in zone chat "Is this really all that pvp is here, being sucked into a purple ball and being bombed?"

And there you have it.