The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FPS drops after U33

Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
✭✭✭✭✭
FPS became unstable. When driving in cities, drawdowns appeared. Who else has the same? Before the patch, there were no such problems. I've tried disabling all addons and various graphics settings. But it doesn't help.
Edited by Parasaurolophus on April 17, 2022 12:36PM
PC/EU
  • Lauranae
    Lauranae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its due to the fact that every character is updating at logging.

Probably will stop when everyone will be up to date with the achievements
    My most recent characters
    AD - Chjara NB
    -
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauranae wrote: »

Does not look like it. I've already logged into each character. FPS drops start when objects are loaded, when I move around the map.
    PC/EU
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    standard patch day blues, EVERYONE is login in at the same time, FPS will stagger throughout the day and become worse at primetime as will load times
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    standard patch day blues, EVERYONE is login in at the same time, FPS will stagger throughout the day and become worse at primetime as will load times

You seem to be confusing fps and ping.
    Upd: it seems that the problem is in cities or a large crowd of players. As soon as I start running from the craft hub to the bank in Alinor, my fps drops from 60 to 23.
    PC/EU
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i know the difference :)
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The situation is similar in other cities - Vivec, Alinor, Leyawiin and Fargrave. When walking on the overland, everything looks the same. Looks like a problem with loading environment objects or other players.
    PC/EU
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, seeing large swings this morning. Going from 90 fps down to 20-40 in cities.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xenite wrote: »
    Yeah, seeing large swings this morning. Going from 90 fps down to 20-40 in cities.

What is you system?
    PC/EU
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Ryzen 2700, 32G Ram and a 1660 TI
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look like it. I've already logged into each character. FPS drops start when objects are loaded, when I move around the map.

It's not just you, it's all player. The server database today keep getting hammered when people login, so server performance today is expected to be worse than usual.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »

It's not just you, it's all player. The server database today keep getting hammered when people login, so server performance today is expected to be worse than usual.

But what about fps? I understand if it was ping and other connection problems. But fps?
    PC/EU
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »

But what about fps? I understand if it was ping and other connection problems. But fps?

It has effect on that too if the server getting slower to send information, like what gear/style other people wearing, what weapon they have, pets and so on, and also what dynamic objects are actually on the map like resource nodes, mobs and such. Also many of the combat checks happening on server side this days, so if the server getting slow that will affect your in combat fps too.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upd: All the same, it seems that fps drops appear when a lot of characters are loaded. At the same time, I noticed that my CPU is used by 90-100% at the moment of FPS drop. @ZOS_GinaBruno please take note.
    PC/EU
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I logged in to check out the patch and was shocked to see my fps go down in large chunks as I ran through the city. That hasn't happened since BEFORE multi-threaded rendering became a thing!
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    I am having an issue too. My ping is only 97, but my fps is low at 36. I checked and my GPU (Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) is running at 100% usage. Logged out of the game and closed the client. Noticed it was still at 100%. Checked windows task manager. Even though a window was not open, there was an instance of ESO running that was using up 100% of the GPU. Used task manager to end that process. Now GPU is at 0% (this was expected).

Restarted the client. GPU still at 0% (again expected). Logged into the game and loaded a character. Usage is at between 70-75%. Prior to update it was in the 40-50 range. Game appears to be running smoother now, even though GPU usage is significantly increased (from 40% to 70%).

So in my case, it was a runaway instance of the game that required entering Windows task manager to find it (no window was open and no icon was showing anywhere). Forcing that run away process to end seems to have fixed the problem. I am assuming that the GPU usage increase is a result of the update and new features.
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have FPS drops from 120-140 down to 28 when running through towns
  • linuxhell
    linuxhell
    ✭✭✭
    same problem here
    broken fps
  • jkhsjdhjs
    jkhsjdhjs
    Soul Shriven
    I also have huge FPS drops(10-20fps lows), even when just running around in Vivec (every 10s or so), with about the same player count as before the patch. Multi-threaded rendering should have put rendering in a separate thread, thus it should be independent of the thread handling server communicaton related stuff. So I don't think this issue is related to server load. With all addons disabled the drops aren't as bad (20-30fps lows), but they're still there.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I had the opposite like 10 plus fps but lost latency
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem on the oldest family system, which is rather old - but - no such problems as these before this lovely patch.

Oldest machine is: Athlon II X4 635 with NV 1660 Super and 12 GB RAM. Windows 7. Typical mechanical HD. Cable.

Riding around on mount at full sprint used to be fluid. Now it staggers and glitches. Really crappy.

I suppose we are lucky MS and ZOS still let us play at all, but again, this patch ruined performance on this machine.
  • Mooncake
    Mooncake
    ✭✭✭
    FPS became unstable. When driving in cities, drawdowns appeared. Who else has the same? Before the patch, there were no such problems. I've tried disabling all addons and various graphics settings. But it doesn't help.

I've had horrible FPS drops and ridiculous high ping (+999) for well over a week before this update.

And today the icing on the cake was absurdly long load screens. 2-3 minutes to exit a thieves den, 4-5 minutes to enter a dungeon or port between wayshrines.

The game is simply unplayable for me at its current state.
    --
    Lyris Titanborn says: Sai! Your sword! It's working!
    Lyris Titanborn says: Sai! That's amazing!
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 90% PVP player and the lag dropped a lot at Cyro which is good, but the FPS became terrible.
    There is serious FPS "spikes" after patch. Everything going smooth 50-60 with good ping, then the enemy pop up
    and the FPS drops to 2-3 for a 1-2 sec, everything begin stutters... and then go back to normal 40-50.
    Every time when new player appears, the FPS drops and its deadly in the middle of a fight.
    Never had FPS problem like that before this update...
    Barely play PVE, it looks smoother than the PVP "spike", get bearable drop, but it looks the same, especially when
    players turn up.
  • Dokata
    Dokata
    Yep, seeing large swings... Fps 1-10 in cities and open world.
    And my character was blocked. (
    Edited by Dokata on March 15, 2022 10:35AM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    GorHanis wrote: »
    There is serious FPS "spikes" after patch. Everything going smooth 50-60 with good ping, then the enemy pop up
    and the FPS drops to 2-3 for a 1-2 sec, everything begin stutters... and then go back to normal 40-50.
    Every time when new player appears, the FPS drops and its deadly in the middle of a fight.

That describes the exact behaviour I'm seeing too. I was out in deadlands and it happened as a small group of players ran by. That's never happened in the past but now it is happening.

• ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, i can confirm this is happening to a lot of people in my guild:
    I'm a pvper and personally, the introduction of multi-thread rendering got rid of most of my latency issues to my cpu with the FPS dropping to 3-10fps instead of bottlenecking the system causing system beeps even in 70vs70 size fights
    Since this new patch on Monday 14th, ALL of the cores on my CPU are now clipping at 100% as soon as there are even 10 enemies on the screen causing my whole system to lock up completely for seconds at a time. I repeat, i was having the occasional 100% cpu use on one core every once in a while before this new patch, now it is locking the pc every 10 seconds or so with all 8 cores maxing out for at least 3 seconds each time.
    Bearing in mind it is really too soon for people to be running a lot of new particle effects from new sets that could potentially cause pc latency and also the processing power of many people's pcs, the question is what's causing this effect with about 10% of the pvp population present.
    As for other people in my guild, they have much more up to date pcs than me and instead of getting their normal 90-100fps, they're getting drops to 20fps in small fights so when their pcs were handling 200 people in the area easily, now their pcs are getting 80% framerate drop with little going on in-game.
    I may add, i've heard quite a few people mention that their GPU is running at or near 100% when it wasn't even running at 25% before this patch
    It would be good to get some manner of official response for this because it is making the game literally unplayable for people who were managing fine before this most recent patch.
    There may be things i can add to this once i've had a run around in cyro tonight but i'd appreciate anyone else commenting on this if they have any problems no matter how slight they may seem. I'm guessing that the more up to date/expensive your pc is, the less of an impact this will have.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    Update:
    I just approached Sejanus outpost from Alessia Bridge, there was clearly nobody else on screen as i approached the hill but my CPU spiked as soon as i was on the hill going up towards Sej. 5 seconds of 100% cpu use that fixed itself as soon as i turned away and moved from Sej to the southeast.
    I don't use miat's but this spike seems like it started round about the same time as i would normally hear people in discord reporting specific enemies on the subserver without seeing them from their miat's alerts. Could there be a connection here? Someone else already mentioned enemy players loading in possibly being the problem and this seems quite consistent with that.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm play in 3 PCs... The patch impact on every one.
    - Cryo became almost unplayable on the HP notebook (i7-10, 16MB, Integrated graphics) what I usually use for work.
    On lower settings I had really smooth game experience before patch. Now 3-8 FPS when 5-6 peep sieging a keep.
    Processor usage at 90-99%.
    - Not much better on my gaming laptop a 2 year old Acer Nitro (i7-10, 8GB, Geforce 1660Ti 4GB). When players come,
    the performance drops almost 60-70% down. 12-20 FPS so-so playable, but fairly high setting (shadows and reflection are
    medium) NO PROBLEM BEFORE UPDATE. Processor usage: 85-99%, memory: 50-54%, GPU: 40-60%
    - My desktop PC (i7-10, 32GB, Geforce 2060 6GB) drops significantly too. 90-100 to 19-30 FPS, over 90% processor usage.
    Before the patch worked really nice.

I tried to set manually everthing, threads, CPU-s, GPU-s, process priorities, rendering, graphics settings, nothing really helped.
    I only won a few insignificant FPS with anything. I'm sure it's some kind of coding problem, when loading objects , but mostly other players.

Finally here's a kicker. Sometimes my grandpa plays ESO on his dinosaur PC. :D Core 2 Quad, 8GB DDR3, Geforce 660Ti 2GB.
    Ten years old iron and this 2014ish game ran really well on that with 30-40FPS... until the patch.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same, having massive frame rate issues, though I am on linux. Was getting near my 144fps cap when not much was going on, and ~90-100fps with a lot of action.

My frame rate is now dropping into the 20's, and sometimes to the point where it just logs me out telling me there's an error and i should try again later.

This is pretty insane... What in the world did they do??! Happening all over the place, pvp, trials, cities... so much sad.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    Hey team! Can you tell us something about this?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is really really bad. Wowza. Toggled all sorts of stuff. Just dropped to 7 fps on a rtx 2080 super and it logged me out