The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FPS drops after U33

• linuxhell
    linuxhell
    ✭✭✭
    tested here with ryzen 7 2700x

MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1"

game horrible, glenumbla dropping 100 fps to 30-43 , very unstable fps, very stuttering

MaxCoresToUse.4 "2"

good, glenumbra fps stable 100 to 80-90 , no stuttering anymore..................other game !!!
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is with this game's lack of communication with the community on performance issues like this. Setting max cores to 2 did get rid of the stutters but the fps spikes remain.

Something is wrong and since not a single person working on this game is communicating with us we'll just continue to blindly grasp around in the dark looking for a bandaid.
  • mRbL
    mRbL
    Soul Shriven
    ae2kaemmjx9c.png
    Before last patch I have never dropped below 60fps during massive fights...
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture of my CPU usage in a 5v5(ish) fight in Cyro. The CPU is bottlenecking a lot so the game doesn't even respond when it clips at 100%. You can see the point that i get killed because the CPU usage is no longer stuck at 98-100% so it looks like the best fix for your frame rate issues is to be dead although I'm pretty sure being dead is going to cause a few problems to your gaming experience but at least you won't be having FPS issues any more.6k3gqqk7twhc.png
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• yoshiluvr
    yoshiluvr
    Soul Shriven
    i also tried this and it worked for me thanks a lot! i really was getting frustrated XD
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    linuxhell wrote: »
    tested here with ryzen 7 2700x

MaxCoresToUse.4 "-1"

game horrible, glenumbla dropping 100 fps to 30-43 , very unstable fps, very stuttering

MaxCoresToUse.4 "2"

good, glenumbra fps stable 100 to 80-90 , no stuttering anymore..................other game !!!
    Thanks, this seems to have worked for me too. I had chalked it all up to the same patch issues everyone else was talking about. Performance is still not what it was pre patch, but it's better now.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, after I set MaxCoreToUse.4 to 2, the Cyro experience much better, but far from percfect.
    Since then the game accidentally freezing to death and I lost prem sieges again because of it.
    Thx the solution anyway! :)

Someting seriously went wrong ZOS and you are silent for 2 weeks. Broken multithreading during
    character load, map issues, instabilities, ton of other problems... You should testing more instead of
    (imo) dumb collective card "minigame" development. ESO FAM REPRESENTS...
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    Stacking my +1 on this. game used to be butter smooth, Cyro was mostly playable but got really sluggish in large group fights but typically okay and stable.

These days I'm lucky if i can ride past a keep door during a siege without getting kicked off. happened 6 times today.
    HUGE FPS drop, Ping at 999+ then BAM, an error occurred. CPU usage stuck to the wall at 100% for no discernible reason and I'm stuck trying to log in for a few minutes because I'm 'already logged in'

As for the way ping seems to affect FPS, at a guess I'd say an issue in the netcode, games 'waiting' for data longer than it should and as a result it's waiting for sync and the game thread is pausing during the delay. but that's a stab in the dark, I don't know for sure.

Edited by doabhi on March 26, 2022 12:48AM
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This patch I've seen frequent drops to 5-10 fps in trials. Prior to the Ascending Tide patch it sat at around 45-60 fps.

Setting MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" seems to have reduced the stuttering in overland. I'll have to see what happens in trials. Ryzen 5 1600x here on PC EU.
  • Jiwooming
    Jiwooming
    Soul Shriven
    Hi, I would like to put my + 1 here.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 + RX 6600 and I was able to run the game at max before the Update 33. But after Update 33, I experienced stutters and frequent fps drops. I did everything - repair and reinstall, removed addons, lowered my game settings into oblivion - nothing worked. I also made sure that my drivers are up-to-date, turned few stuff on and off as well (like SAM and fTPM) but nothing worked. It was so frustrating.

Two days ago, a guildmate stumbled to this post and tested what was suggested. And it worked for him. So, I got into my computer, looked for the UserSettings.txt and set my MaxCoresToUse.4 to 2. I opened the game and bam, it worked. Stutters? Gone. Random FPS drops? Nothing. Solid 60 FPS all over the board.

I hope @ZOS_GinaBruno and everyone else would address this issue, something must've broken the game's multi-core performance.
    Edited by Jiwooming on March 26, 2022 8:55PM
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    For me, this solved some of the laggy issues, sadly not the lack of stability.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing fixed in this patch?
    PC/EU
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    As I saw the notes, they did nothing on paper. I would like to do some tests if I could LOGIN. BUT I CANT!
    After this very juicy patch, I'm wating and waiting after the login screen, then the client inform me that I "lost connection due to inactivity" LOL. PATHETIC! ZOS you create 100 more issues after every miserable new patch... which is supposed to make the game better.
    2 weeks now and you didn't tell us anything about this FPS drops.
    There is the "made by community solution" above... Far from perfect, but solve most of the FPS drops and stutters.
    It's just az emergency hotfix, but there is no other...
  • Daeymon
    Daeymon
    ✭✭
    Well, addons off, graphical settings at lowest, went for a ride in Stormhaven and the issue is still there. Not surprised since they haven't even officially acknowledged this issue.
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    As others riding in or when players load in and out in trials out of the portal mechanics in trials it just keeps building on the CPU data and the game gets incredibly unstable. This issue is extremely severe and I was hoping so much that the patch today was to address this issue. At least recognition of this issue would be greatly appreciated as this is making the game very difficult to play at times.
  • EngineeringElf
    EngineeringElf
    ✭✭✭
    Sheen wrote: »
    ilander wrote: »
    One of my guildmembers has no problems on a 6 core cpu, it is exactly the same as before the patch.

Someone else pointed out that there seem to be problems with 8 cores rather than 6 from what he had seen as well.

Thank you for this hint, I think we've solved the issue.
    Asking for @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif @ZOS_Bill

My hardware: Ryzen 7 1700 / 32 Gb RAM / NVidia GTX 1070 / Archlinux

I've played with UserSettings.txt and variable : SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "x"

By default, I had 16 because my CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores + HT), it's been years I have this settings, no issue until update 33.
    Since update 33, when loading characters, my CPU reach 100% load for three minutes, a real pain, and I have stuttering in cities because of huge fps drop.

I've made some test changing this variable with two characters, one full of addons (character 1), one with few addons (character 2) and I've timed the loading time for each profile.

Results :

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "16" :
    - Character 1 : 177 seconds (CPU Load 100%)
    - Character 2 : 39 seconds (CPU Load 100%)

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "8" :
    - Character 1 : 66 seconds
    - Character 2 : 22 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "6" :
    - Character 1 : 55 seconds
    - Character 2 : 15 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "4" :
    - Character 1 : 52 seconds
    - Character 2 : 13 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" :
    - Character 1 : 51 seconds
    - Character 2 : 12 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "1" :
    - Character 1 : 51 seconds
    - Character 2 : 12 seconds

Now I'm using SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2", and it works like before update 33, usual loading time and no more stuttering.
    Update 33 broke something with multithreading on 8 cores CPU and more.

Sorry to say, but community is doing your job Zos, I hope now you will fix the issue instead of saying the problem is on our side.

Tried this on my Ryzen 7 2700X and changing the setting to "2" has fixed my FPS problem since update 33. Thank you for this info as my FPS drop was unbearable after the update.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Time to play guild wars 2 for a while. This game. I don't know.
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    b82iqpdgrv9f.png
    For me changing this value to match my CPU's core amount (8 in this instance) has made it so I don't drop below 48 in cities when at max speed which I was going down to 9 before. Unsure if any others have had luck. Unsure why it was -1 but may just be for it to call the system for the core amount. Just a guess. None the less at least for the short time testing this has improved my fps by a good amount. Something's wrong with the multithread rendering though.
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styxius wrote: »
    b82iqpdgrv9f.png
    For me changing this value to match my CPU's core amount (8 in this instance) has made it so I don't drop below 48 in cities when at max speed which I was going down to 9 before. Unsure if any others have had luck. Unsure why it was -1 but may just be for it to call the system for the core amount. Just a guess. None the less at least for the short time testing this has improved my fps by a good amount. Something's wrong with the multithread rendering though.

This also fixed the multiple ready checks I was receiving as well.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too bad this wasn't addressed in this week's patch.

The game still turns into a slideshow at many overland places. Its almost as if the game can't catch up my movement speed. If I keep running in low-FPS areas, other players turn black and I get a loading screen eventually.

• Daeymon
    Daeymon
    ✭✭
    Styxius wrote: »
    b82iqpdgrv9f.png

Setting it to the number of my cores (6) made no difference for me I'm afraid. Setting it to "2" did get rid of the instability, but then I'm stuck constantly on a low FPS. Honestly, I'll be taking a break from the game till they resolve this. If I wanted console FPS, I'd play this on my Xbox One.
  • Modzcs
    Modzcs
    ✭✭
    if You use 8 Cores CPU, Run the game open windows task manager-> Details Tab -> Right Click on eso64.exe -> set affinity-> and uncheck CPU 0 and CPU 1.
    Edited by Modzcs on March 30, 2022 5:41AM
  • biounit112
    biounit112
    ✭✭
    Huge thanks for this fix. I documented my issues in another thread, but they were many and varied, and this one change completely fixed ALL of them, including the slow load of Undaunted camp outside Wayrest.

Thank you!!!

old: MaxCoresToUse.4 = -1
    new: MaxCoresToUse.4 = 2

ZOS, does look multi-core related. If you read this, my processor is AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will this ever be addressed. Radio silence all this time. Not one thing said about it officially. I noticed their is login rewards to get people to log in regardless, but where in all that is the stuttering fps spike cpu core fiasco even mentioned?!
    Edited by Red_Feather on March 30, 2022 3:26PM
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this ever be addressed. Radio silence all this time. Not one thing said about it officially. I noticed their is login rewards to get people to log in regardless, but where in all that is the stuttering fps spike cpu core fiasco even mentioned?!

It appears that they have blamed most things on the equipment failure then moved on. I have not seen where they have admitted that the software updates are causing these issues. Hopefully they just aren't saying much, but are working on it in the background.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then I will make another topic.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am experiencing these problems too.

I wrote another post not knowing of this one.

Nvidia Geforce GTX960 -> was still fine before patch, but I now have FPS drops, the stutters, even crash like freezes in pvp with below 4 FPS. The sound also goes crazy when the drops occur.

I've done all the work arounds available on the internet, but I won't go as so far to change CPU values.

I'm hoping for an official fix and feedback ....can't really play like this...at all...whatsoever.

Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on March 30, 2022 11:17PM
  • biounit112
    biounit112
    ✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »

I've done all the work arounds available on the internet, but I won't go as so far to change CPU values.

I encourage you to try this fix anyway, just to provide ZOS with more proof it temporarily fixes the issue. It's a one-line change to a config file, and you won't hurt your computer by doing it. You can even un-do it right after testing if you're nervous about it.

But I agree, none of us should have to be touching config files or trying out 100 different experiments to work around things like this. But I'm willing to do so for now, because I wanna be able to enjoy the Jester's Festival, and I'm too impatient to wait for the real fix.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    After 17 days and still nothing reply from devs... Broken game.
  • Skyhooker
    Skyhooker
    Soul Shriven
    The MaxCoresToUse indeed worked a charm, so thanks to those who came up with it. I was about ready to hang it up with this game.

The problem, as others have mentioned, is the lack of any acknowledgment of this particular issue from on high. It reminds me a bit of Boeing and the 737 Max. So far as I know, unlike the 737, no one was actually killed by this update, but I think I lost some of my longevity through stress, and my computer almost went out the window.

Anyway, thanks again for this tip!