The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

FPS drops after U33

• Daeymon
    Daeymon
    ✭✭
    Just to reiterate here what I said on the PC Technical Support equivalent on this thread. I ran a little experiment with my computer which is packing a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (on the most recent drivers).

I turned off all addons, and either turned off all graphical settings or turned them down to their lowest option. So with my game looking like absolute trash, I went for a ride through Stormhaven and my FPS still was dropping into the 40's.

I've run this experiment in the past when I've had similar FPS issues, and the culprit has always been an addon or a new graphical setting. So normally when I put in into the trash state, my FPS stays at max, and then as I start the process of elimination by turning stuff back on, bit by bit and I eventually find what causes the drop. Never have I had the FPS drop while in trash mode. Quite curious.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daeymon wrote: »
    Just to reiterate here what I said on the PC Technical Support equivalent on this thread. I ran a little experiment with my computer which is packing a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 (on the most recent drivers).

I turned off all addons, and either turned off all graphical settings or turned them down to their lowest option. So with my game looking like absolute trash, I went for a ride through Stormhaven and my FPS still was dropping into the 40's.

I've run this experiment in the past when I've had similar FPS issues, and the culprit has always been an addon or a new graphical setting. So normally when I put in into the trash state, my FPS stays at max, and then as I start the process of elimination by turning stuff back on, bit by bit and I eventually find what causes the drop. Never have I had the FPS drop while in trash mode. Quite curious.

Woah. Hadn't tried toggling *that* many things. This is a pretty crazy regression then. I wonder if they tried to get clever with their awa 'perf optimization' thing, and start pushing all of the achievement data to everyone in view distance xD lord only knows. they need to fix this asap tho, its totally ridiculous
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm full CPU usage during FPS drops
    PC/EU
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    It's related to rendering and loading player characters. Virtually no FPS drops in empty zones or desolated parts of Cyro.
    Cities and other frequent PVE places drops more or less, depend how many players there.
    The CPU usage is enormuos compared to the pre-patch conditions. And if switch off some CPU core, the issue became more serious. CPU load drops obviously. :)
    Latest video drivers can't help. Manually tinkered GPU-, rendering-, or memory usage setting, and well... non of these help.
    There is clearly visible changes in the visualizattion, what is not in the patch notes. I'm wondering...

And waiting for devs reply...
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    ilander wrote: »
    Hi, i can confirm this is happening to a lot of people in my guild:
    I'm a pvper and personally, the introduction of multi-thread rendering got rid of most of my latency issues to my cpu with the FPS dropping to 3-10fps instead of bottlenecking the system causing system beeps even in 70vs70 size fights
    Since this new patch on Monday 14th, ALL of the cores on my CPU are now clipping at 100% as soon as there are even 10 enemies on the screen causing my whole system to lock up completely for seconds at a time. I repeat, i was having the occasional 100% cpu use on one core every once in a while before this new patch, now it is locking the pc every 10 seconds or so with all 8 cores maxing out for at least 3 seconds each time.
    Bearing in mind it is really too soon for people to be running a lot of new particle effects from new sets that could potentially cause pc latency and also the processing power of many people's pcs, the question is what's causing this effect with about 10% of the pvp population present.
    As for other people in my guild, they have much more up to date pcs than me and instead of getting their normal 90-100fps, they're getting drops to 20fps in small fights so when their pcs were handling 200 people in the area easily, now their pcs are getting 80% framerate drop with little going on in-game.
    I may add, i've heard quite a few people mention that their GPU is running at or near 100% when it wasn't even running at 25% before this patch
    It would be good to get some manner of official response for this because it is making the game literally unplayable for people who were managing fine before this most recent patch.
    There may be things i can add to this once i've had a run around in cyro tonight but i'd appreciate anyone else commenting on this if they have any problems no matter how slight they may seem. I'm guessing that the more up to date/expensive your pc is, the less of an impact this will have.

Can confirm this is the exact same issue I've been having after the patch. When loading in any friendly or enemy players/keeps the FPS drops to <5. Relevant hardware is a Ryzen 1700X CPU & Nvidia 1080 Ti GPU which was managing 30-100 fps before update. Interestingly enough my wife's PC is fine (Ryzen 3600 CPU & Nvidia 1650S GPU) with zero noticeable FPS drop since the update. Since we bomb together in Cyrodiil, she's just been guiding me around like a blindfolded child since my screen is as good as useless at 1-5 fps :sweat_smile:
    Tried the following without improvement:
    - Turning off ALL addons
    - Turning off multi-threaded rendering
    - Turning off VPN
    - Setting ALL graphics to lowest settings
    - Running game client inside Linux VM
    - Setting CPU affinity to CCX1 / 2 only
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to remove UserSettings.txt and ShaderCache.cooked, then starting the game and setting up video settings again? I do it every update to boot at 'clean state' whenever they add new settings.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    More up to date the hardware less affected the issue, that's for sure.
    Tried Cryo on a new i9,16GB, RTX3060 laptop, looks like good enough. Not perfect tho...
    Ok, we are ouside of peak hours in EU, but 5-10 peep causes FPS drop on my other 2-3 years old PCs.
    I think this character loading issue somehow hit the older hardwares.
    The strange thing in that, before the patch its ran flawlessly...
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    One of my guildmembers has no problems on a 6 core cpu, it is exactly the same as before the patch.

Someone else pointed out that there seem to be problems with 8 cores rather than 6 from what he had seen as well.

Could we be on to something here? Maybe someone can confirm/debunk this if those of you posting could report your cpu as well as video card etc

Thanks

Here's my cpu usage during a 15v20 fight at Blue Road Keep last night. Normally, all of the cores would not pass 75-80% at any point even in a 50v50 and here it shows 95-100% the whole time.

7xohw0z08dp7.png
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• iyx
    iyx
    ✭✭✭
    My fps hasn't changed, however my ping has gone from a stable 130 to 250, and in some places it jumps up to 600-800. As Mooncake mentioned, it started about a week before the patch.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    Stll nothing reaction from devs, really "cool"...
    Every not necessarily gamebreaking bug, like mailbox full, or group finder answered already, but not a simple reply for this.
    I believe it's difficult to react a problem that concerns the base rendering and loading procedure of the game engine in older PCs, especially after a hyped new patch... and for sure it needs some investigation, but this silence is talkative.
  • HitmanFortySeven
    HitmanFortySeven
    Soul Shriven
    Same problem since the update. On both my machines, different hardware, different config, different addons, tried it on Linux and Windows. As soon as more players show up (or specific ones? no idea), FPS drops from 60 to 10. Some of the players also show up late and are "black" for a few seconds. So I guess it's shader or texture related. PvP is almost impossible at the moment. Crafting in cities is ... painful, but doable. NPCs don't seem to matter. Even running through NPC-populated areas is fine; but as soon players are nearby, the FPS drops to a stutter.
  • Lori_GamerBro
    The situation is similar in other cities - Vivec, Alinor, Leyawiin and Fargrave. When walking on the overland, everything looks the same. Looks like a problem with loading environment objects or other players.

Yeah I have this issue. It gets worse with each patch. I just want to know if anyone at Zos is working on it because this is affecting a ton of players now. I tried logging in today and just had to quit because the game was so unplayable.
  • Lori_GamerBro
    Daeymon wrote: »

Woah. Hadn't tried toggling *that* many things. This is a pretty crazy regression then. I wonder if they tried to get clever with their awa 'perf optimization' thing, and start pushing all of the achievement data to everyone in view distance xD lord only knows. they need to fix this asap tho, its totally ridiculous

Yeah I tried this too to see if it would help. It made no difference if fps or rendering things. My issues started the day deadlands dlc dropped and after this patch it's to the point where the game is unplayable
  • polartx
    polartx
    Soul Shriven
    Well, at least I know I am not alone in this mess. I'm on an older rig, but only rarely would I get significant "freezing" while in a dungeon. Now, I get frames in the single digits just wandering into town to visit the crafting stations. Game is barely playable. Also, whatever it's doing, it makes discord "robot" all the time. I shouldn't have renewed my ESO plus right before the patch - basically wasted money
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the issue still exist and after almost a week, we still haven't got a single answer to this mess.
    Cryo just crashed with serious lag, unplayable FPS spikes and all known errors like lobby connections failed etc.
    Congrats devs and cms... great communication.
  • GorHanis
    GorHanis
    ✭✭✭
    And the bonus... I lost 2 premium sieges today for this [snip]. AND YOU ARE SILENT!
    No one expects an immediate solution, just some pathetic, stereotype amswer, yes we aware of the issue and working on it.
    Buries head in the sand is not a solution...

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 20, 2022 10:17AM
  • Sookmagook
    Sookmagook
    ✭✭✭
    Also having issues, not fps but ping. Never any previous issues, started day after last patch. Ranging from 180 to 7000??!!! Unplayable.

Side note... also having issues on my PS5 account. Again, never had issues. Because of this (both pc and console)I assumed it was my connection but after a testing and retesting it most certainly isn't my connection.

What the heck is going on?
    PSN Sookmagook NA PS5/PC
    GM of New Scrolls Order
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can play just fine everywhere besides Cyro, anytime Im near a big fight my game start to stutter the best part is my frames dont drop by much but it fells like I have 5 frames when it says I have 50-60 frames.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My game is working better after patch, I didn't change anything in settings or addons.
    Not only the FPS but also much smoother and faster transition between characters in characters logging menu. It used to take much more time to switch between 14 alts in that menu. I don't know what they did but the patch has improved it.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • NicGroover
    NicGroover
    ✭✭✭
    The last update lowered the FPS in cities with a lot of players, in Cyrodiil. Elsewhere the FPS is yo-yoing. The ping often goes to +999 and it's a pleasure to play. Screen loading times have doubled.

An update that will be remembered like others in their time. Zeni is getting better...
    Edited by NicGroover on March 20, 2022 10:37AM
  • Pyvos
    Pyvos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Game is completely unplayable for me at this point. Regular frame drops down to 8-9 FPS range. Not addons related. Whether I am running around doing writs, having a large amount of effects in the new dungeons, or normal PvP encounters in Cyrodill, I am going from 60+ to at best 9.

Where is ZOS on this? How did this get passed QA / QC?
    Edited by Pyvos on March 22, 2022 4:56AM
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyvos wrote: »
    Game is completely unplayable for me at this point. Regular frame drops down to 8-9 FPS range. Not addons related. Whether I am running around doing writs, having a large amount of effects in the new dungeons, or normal PvP encounters in Cyrodill, I
    am going from 60+ to at best 9.

Where is ZOS on this? How did this get passed QA / QC?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif

Many people in game, and the participants in this thread, would very much appreciate an update and acknowledgement of this bug, as it is preventing an entire segment of the playerbase from using this software. Additionally, even for people with recent hardware, it drastically reduces quality of the game (and in some cases makes it unplayable). I'd particularly like a fix so we can stop trying to figure out why it's happening
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    I managed to slightly improve my FPS from about 5 to 15 by turning off hyperthreading on my Ryzen 1700x CPU. Basically I just disabled all the odd numbered cores for the ESO64.exe process. The FPS drops are still gamebreakingly bad but hopefully this bandaid fix can help until ZOS patches the game.
  • Calandrae
    Calandrae
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suffer from the same issue. Before the patch my game ran just fine. Nothing has changed at my end, but now tFPS drops to 10-15 in any city/hub and the game stutters badly even at empty zones.

It's practically unplayable now.
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to know why it's reporting 90% GPU usage on the character load screen.
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xenite wrote: »
    I'd also like to know why it's reporting 90% GPU usage on the character load screen.

The eso process now mines bitcoin to raise funds to pay the server hampsters. They're on strike right now, demanding an increase in vegetables and fruit. The cut rate scabs are the cause of all of the problems
  • spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found a fix: turn on some edm and set up a strobe light. Performance will appear the same in all areas of the game. Problem solved B)
  • Sheen
    Sheen
    ✭✭
    One of my guildmembers has no problems on a 6 core cpu, it is exactly the same as before the patch.

Someone else pointed out that there seem to be problems with 8 cores rather than 6 from what he had seen as well.

Thank you for this hint, I think we've solved the issue.
    Asking for @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif @ZOS_Bill

My hardware: Ryzen 7 1700 / 32 Gb RAM / NVidia GTX 1070 / Archlinux

I've played with UserSettings.txt and variable : SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "x"

By default, I had 16 because my CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores + HT), it's been years I have this settings, no issue until update 33.
    Since update 33, when loading characters, my CPU reach 100% load for three minutes, a real pain, and I have stuttering in cities because of huge fps drop.

I've made some test changing this variable with two characters, one full of addons (character 1), one with few addons (character 2) and I've timed the loading time for each profile.

Results :

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "16" :
    - Character 1 : 177 seconds (CPU Load 100%)
    - Character 2 : 39 seconds (CPU Load 100%)

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "8" :
    - Character 1 : 66 seconds
    - Character 2 : 22 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "6" :
    - Character 1 : 55 seconds
    - Character 2 : 15 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "4" :
    - Character 1 : 52 seconds
    - Character 2 : 13 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" :
    - Character 1 : 51 seconds
    - Character 2 : 12 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "1" :

Now I'm using SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2", and it works like before update 33, usual loading time and no more stuttering.
    Update 33 broke something with multithreading on 8 cores CPU and more.

Sorry to say, but community is doing your job Zos, I hope now you will fix the issue instead of saying the problem is on our side.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheen wrote: »

Thank you for this hint, I think we've solved the issue.
    Asking for @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_AlexTardif @ZOS_Bill

My hardware: Ryzen 7 1700 / 32 Gb RAM / NVidia GTX 1070 / Archlinux

I've played with UserSettings.txt and variable : SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "x"

By default, I had 16 because my CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 (8 cores + HT), it's been years I have this settings, no issue until update 33.
    Since update 33, when loading characters, my CPU reach 100% load for three minutes, a real pain, and I have stuttering in cities because of huge fps drop.

I've made some test changing this variable with two characters, one full of addons (character 1), one with few addons (character 2) and I've timed the loading time for each profile.

Results :

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "16" :
    - Character 1 : 177 seconds (CPU Load 100%)
    - Character 2 : 39 seconds (CPU Load 100%)

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "8" :
    - Character 1 : 66 seconds
    - Character 2 : 22 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "6" :
    - Character 1 : 55 seconds
    - Character 2 : 15 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "4" :
    - Character 1 : 52 seconds
    - Character 2 : 13 seconds

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" :

SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "1" :

Now I'm using SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2", and it works like before update 33, usual loading time and no more stuttering.
    Update 33 broke something with multithreading on 8 cores CPU and more.

Sorry to say, but community is doing your job Zos, I hope now you will fix the issue instead of saying the problem is on our side.

I did the same thing by disabling hyperthreading...you still get 8 logical cores of performance instead 2 with the usersettings tweak.
  • Sheen
    Sheen
    ✭✭
    I've just tried your method and disabled all HT core on my system for ESO64.exe, and put SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "8" to get 8 logical core.
    It works but loading time is 62 seconds, I get better performance using SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" and leaving my CPU affinity by default.