The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FPS drops after U33

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    liasanya1 wrote: »
    Same here. Before the last patch perfectly, constantly (limited) 59 FPS in Auridon. Now stuttering and Framedrops to 50 and far below . I´m sick and tired so i cancelled Eso+ for a start. So its unplayable for me and i limited myself to analyse crafting items since the developers do their job.

I just uninstalled eso last night. I feel a little crazy about this as I was thinking of this song while uninstalling. Made me sad, but really there is nothing more that can be done. Good bye guys. 😞
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed the title of the thread for better clarification.
    PC/EU
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This issue still exists on PTS, incredibly frustrating.

Edit: The fix seems to still work, at least.
    Edited by PeacefulAnarchy on April 18, 2022 11:31PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • TheGreatFloki
    TheGreatFloki
    Soul Shriven
    I'm using now 6 of my 8 cores. For PvE works fine, but since I play mostly PvP at Cyrodiil, with many players fighting in the same keep/zone, the big drops happen aswell.

So the best fix sems to be the use of 4 cores, but I don't feel confortable with the over heating. I don't want to break my CPU...
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    New patch, still nothing on this issue. Very disappointing.
  • dirtyjackivub17_ESO
    dirtyjackivub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Sheen wrote: »
    ilander wrote: »
    *snip*/quote]

'SET MaxCoresToUse.4 "2" '
    Fixed the weird 'every 10 second stutter' I was having. This issue is affecting a bunch of people. Hoping for a fix soon rather than having to do a roundabout way for it.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, now I see the stuttering is huge and very annoying in main cities with many players.

Much better is in the wilds, but heck this is MMO, not a single player experience. To play normal I have to leave city.

PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • TheGreatFloki
    TheGreatFloki
    Soul Shriven
    Any news?
  • HeavyESO
    HeavyESO
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what was going on here, never had this issue and especially never had to change max cores, hopefully this issue is resolved come High Isle.

I was going crazy thinking my PC was having issues.
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be able to ride inside any capital city at peak load times and never had any issues. Now at times it feels like a slide show and I keep getting those brief loading screens if I ride very fast.

90+ FPS and smooth everywhere else, but soon as I get around other players boom FPS takes a dump and becomes a chop fest. I assumed it was some kinda change they made to characters loading in that was dumping the frame rate. Would be nice if they actually communicated with us. I rarely if ever see any ZOS posts on this board.

Edit: Ok, I think they may have hosed the multi thread support. I just asked my wife if she is having issues as well and she said she is NOT having the same problems. I built both of our computers and they are virtually identical except I am running a 2700 8 core CPU and she is running the 3600x 6 core. So the issue at hand does seem to be 8 core cpus.

Edit 2: Just tested, yup ridding through Wayrest is pegging my CPU usage at 100% in return that is creating a cpu/gpu bottleneck and tanking the FPS.
    Edited by Xenite on April 29, 2022 11:39PM
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    The same thing is happening here. My specs are:
    • Core i5 4670K @ 3.8 GHz
    • 16GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
    • GTX 1070Ti 8GB EVGA SC
    • 240GB Sandisk SSD (system) + 360GB Netac SSD (games) + 2.5TB HDD
    • 600W OCZ ModXStream Pro PSU
    • Resolution: 2560x1080p @ 75 Hz (G-Sync)

My settings:
    dericbhzdc21.png

Performance was fine until last patch. Now I have awful FPS drops in towns even without any addon. My friends are also complaining about the same issue.

All my other games are working perfectly fine.

No official communication about this issue yet. This is why I don't spend even a penny in this game anymore.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back to spates of 12-18fps and being killed by mobs that haven't even rendered in yet. fun fun
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    Changing the "MaxCoresToUse.4" option from "-1" to "2" on UserSettings.txt made the game playable again for me. It's not as smooth as before the update, but at least it's pretty playable.

They are adding more and more content to the game... And big glitches as well. This topic was opened on March 14, and we are still waiting for an official communication.
  • TheGreatFloki
    TheGreatFloki
    Soul Shriven
    KairanD wrote: »
    Changing the "MaxCoresToUse.4" option from "-1" to "2" on UserSettings.txt made the game playable again for me. It's not as smooth as before the update, but at least it's pretty playable.

They are adding more and more content to the game... And big glitches as well. This topic was opened on March 14, and we are still waiting for an official communication.

Everything felt extremely slow using "2". For me the best for now is "4". Ryzen 2700X, NVIDIA RTX2070, 16GB RAM and WD SN750 SSD here.
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, this is also a nasty issue as they are pegging peoples cpu usage unnecessarily.
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    Everything felt extremely slow using "2". For me the best for now is "4". Ryzen 2700X, NVIDIA RTX2070, 16GB RAM and WD SN750 SSD here.
    Yeah, there is a performance loss. But here using "2" was better than using "3" (maybe because my processor has only 4 cores and no hyperthreading). It's not perfectly smooth, but playable.

This game used to run very well on my PC using Linux. Even my i5 4670K @ 3.8 GHz is more than enough for ESO.

This problem really broke my game experience. I think the impacts are more severe on processors with fewer cores.
    Xenite wrote: »
    Sadly, this is also a nasty issue as they are pegging peoples cpu usage unnecessarily.
    This is what happens when you release more and more content without worrying too much about fixing problems.

This reminds me of the "mailbox full but empty" glitch. I stopped playing a while ago because of that (and the lack of communication).
    Edited by KairanD on May 1, 2022 8:06PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's strange that there is still no legitimate and official reply on this.
    We just get sent to the 'trouble shoot' page which doesn't really help us.

I bet my Cyrodiil crashes are still related to this issue.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when you release more and more content without worrying too much about fixing problems.

This is what happens when there's a vocal army of apologists lecturing us about how artists don't fix bugs. What is the point of introducing multithreaded rendering if we need to disable Hyperthreading and play on 2 crippled cores?
  • marius_buys
    marius_buys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK so logically speaking, Gray Host PvP players need to set up to accommodate zerg vs zerg lag.
    This means scaling down as much redundant graphics and processing from your pc to the server as possible.

I play Gray Host on a baby-boomer era potato pc from South Africa with 300 ping (provided we have internet and electricity at the same time)
    What amazes me is that players complain about disconnecting while they are running their pc rich in both graphics, processing with multiple background apps. Seriously now :)

TRY ASKING LESS FROM AN OVERLOADED SERVER AND YOU WILL GET MORE PLAYABILITY & LESS DC's

Some basic in-game settings here: https://imgflip.com/i/6fcu9g

Edited by marius_buys on May 8, 2022 11:40AM
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭
    Just submitted a ticket with a diagnostics report. Really hoping they make the relevant people aware of this issue. The excessive amount of processor usage this bug is attributing to is just ridiculous. Get around a group of players and it immediately pegs out at 100% and bottlenecks the gpu.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just submitted a ticket with a diagnostics report. Really hoping they make the relevant people aware of this issue. The excessive amount of processor usage this bug is attributing to is just ridiculous. Get around a group of players and it immediately pegs out at 100% and bottlenecks the gpu.

Perhaps this is the only way to pay attention to the problem. For me right now, PVP is technically locked down because of this issue.
    PC/EU
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another disappointing patch of nothing.

If bugs are allowed to exists for too long in code they manifest into physical beings and start eating the precious silicon they were roaming when still in digital form.
  • Xenite
    Xenite
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps this is the only way to pay attention to the problem. For me right now, PVP is technically locked down because of this issue.

They responded and said it was passed on to the development team, so take that for what it's worth.

Really hope it gets fixed soon, trying to do something like writs in a city is a horrible chop fest. My wife's system with 6 cores runs smoothly and mine with 8 cores and a more powerful GPU is getting 15-20fps in populated areas because the 100% cpu usage is bottle necking me.

I would suggest anyone experiencing the issue to submit a ticket. More tickets/reports will draw more attention to the issue.
    Edited by Xenite on May 9, 2022 6:59PM
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GorHanis wrote: »
    It's related to rendering and loading player characters. Virtually no FPS drops in empty zones or desolated parts of Cyro.
    Cities and other frequent PVE places drops more or less, depend how many players there.
    The CPU usage is enormuos compared to the pre-patch conditions. And if switch off some CPU core, the issue became more serious. CPU load drops obviously. :)
    Latest video drivers can't help. Manually tinkered GPU-, rendering-, or memory usage setting, and well... non of these help.
    There is clearly visible changes in the visualizattion, what is not in the patch notes. I'm wondering...

And waiting for devs reply...

Literally getting the exact same problem. Tried turning all addons off, restarting game, restarting pc, repairing game, and no fix.
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    FPS drops are a lot worse after the lag fix in Cyrodiil. This is with hyperthreading off and reduced cores. Audio is also glitching and never recovers to the point where you just have to turn sound off altogether.
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    FPS drops are a lot worse after the lag fix in Cyrodiil. This is with hyperthreading off and reduced cores. Audio is also glitching and never recovers to the point where you just have to turn sound off altogether.

Agreed. From a performance perspective this is the worst my game has run in a long time. My abilities respond better sure but the amount of fps drops and stuttering I get as enemy players load in is insane and the game is actually unplayable
  • KairanD
    KairanD
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »
    This is what happens when there's a vocal army of apologists lecturing us about how artists don't fix bugs.
    The team as a whole is being pushed to release things faster. This affects artists, programmers, support, everyone.
    Really hoping they make the relevant people aware of this issue. The excessive amount of processor usage this bug is attributing to is just ridiculous.
    I'm pretty sure they're aware of this issue. There are already many topics about it. They are just ignoring, probably because they don't know what to do yet.

This bug is really insane. The discovered temporary fix gives just borderline playability.
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played much the past few months. So it became rather obvious. I am glad I am not the only one.

I had a drop to 6! FPS in Malabal Tor on the road from the Trading post I fiddled with all sorts of settings.

My System is a Ryzen 7 1700x AMD Radeon RX570 8GB VRam and 32 GB DDR 5 RAM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Life pro tip: upgrade CPU if its usage reaches 100%. I am using a 3.7 ghz 16 thread cpu from 2017 (R7 1800X) and the highest usage during gameplay I've seen was 80%. For example i7-9700k is 20% slower than it, so it will hit 100% use and start stuttering.
    i5-12600k is 20% faster than mine and R7 5700x is 30% faster, so with these CPUs you will have 40-50% headroom.