The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is The High Isle Chapter Worth Its Price

• Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Compare a $40 chapter in ESO with what you get out of FFXIV endwalker for the same price and what’s coming with GW2 end of dragons for $30.

I will most likely wait for a big sale just like I did with Blackwood.
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    Yes
    For me yes, less than a single dinner out or a couple pizzas i get a hundred hours of game-play, companions, new houses and furnishings, motifs and patterns, pets, mounts, blah blah AND if done well and any fun at all, an in-game card game...

Yeah for me worth it, to each there own of course.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I will get 200+ hours out of the High Isle chapter. At $39.99 that's $0.20 per hour.

To me, $0.20 per hour is worth it.

Where is that playtime projection coming from, exactly?

I love card games and plan on ranking #1 in the new competitive league. 30-50 hours without card game.
    PC NA
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    How do we know? It is not even on PTS.

Do I need to test it?

$40 - Morrowind: New zone, New trial, New class, + Battlegrounds
    $30 - Summerset: New zone, New Trial, Jewelrycrafting, Psijic Order
    $40 - Elsweyr - New zone, New Trial, New Class
    $40 - Greymoor - New zone, New Trial, Antiquities
    $40 - Blackwood - New zone, New Trial, Companions
    $40 - High Isle - New zone, New Trial, Card game

Yeah...I don't need to test High Isle to say that it's not giving me the same level of "special features" as Morrowind, Summerset, or Elsweyr. It just doesn't measure up and thus doesn't justify the same price.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I will get 200+ hours out of the High Isle chapter. At $39.99 that's $0.20 per hour.

No idea how you can get 200 hours out of a Chapter when the story can be done within 10-15 hours. I'm curious. I'm someone who's reading all the quests and none of the Chapter zones main story took more than 10 hours for me to finish. Add another 10 hours (being generous here) for the side quests and maybe another 10 hours (being generous as well) for the delves, world bosses etc. and you can get ~ 30 hours out of a Chapter.

As mentioned in my post above, I plan on ranking #1 in the new competitive league for Tales of Tribute.
    PC NA
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    Man, again, I really hate feeling down on this new chapter but from everything I've seen I'm not looking forward to it. I'm still on the fence but at the end of the day I'm sure I'll purchase (more details to learn about too).

I don't think a card game is a selling point compared to years past (companions were a big let down imo too).

Interestingly, I would imagine that Companions was the biggest thing they released in 2021, aside from the zone content. Measuring based on how appealing the feature was and how much it gets used by the players. That would include being compared to curated drops and the Armory, which are strong features that I personally approve of, but probably not used as much, nor having the same impact across the board.

This is entirely based on the fact that they did not announce more things along the lines of Armory and Curated Drops, but did announce new Companions, plus the sheer number of companions that I see in the game, relative to the number of players.

There are clearly people who see value in the card game, and may buy it just for that reason. Others, may see the trifecta of story, companions, and card game irresistible.

Personally, I am not expecting the Chapter to be a bad selling item in the store. It may exceed Blackwood and Greymoor in sales. I think the card game is a bigger draw than Antiquities, and it includes version 2 of the companions from Blackwood. I am expecting that the story part will be lacking in many areas, as this is becoming a rut.

If they ditch the constant quest dialog checkpoints with the High Isle version of Eveli, I will be happy. If they stop requiring me to ask about something they just told me about because I apparently have dementia, I will be very pleased. In addition to both of those, if the story is not easily predictable, I will probably require 911 assistance. :smile:

I pre-ordered hoping that 911 assistance will be required, but deep down...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I think this person is referring to the card game which we know nothing about ^^
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The answer is "definitely yes". The High Isle has much more useful features than such chapter as Elsweyr, for example. If this new card game is at least a little like Arcomage, then it is possible to have a lot of fun with it. It is so much better than a necromancer class that I don't use and will never use.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

I love card games and plan on ranking #1 in the new competitive league. 30-50 hours without card game.

We know absolutely nothing about the card game, how can you wager how much time the climb will take?
    We don't know how long the games will take, we don't know how many people will play the card game, and how many of those will play it in ranked. It could take well under 200 hours, especially if you love card games, as you say, and thus I would expect you to put in the effort to be at least pretty good at this new system.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Odovacar wrote: »
    Man, again, I really hate feeling down on this new chapter but from everything I've seen I'm not looking forward to it. I'm still on the fence but at the end of the day I'm sure I'll purchase (more details to learn about too).

I don't think a card game is a selling point compared to years past (companions were a big let down imo too).

Interestingly, I would imagine that Companions was the biggest thing they released in 2021, aside from the zone content. Measuring based on how appealing the feature was and how much it gets used by the players. That would include being compared to curated drops and the Armory, which are strong features that I personally approve of, but probably not used as much, nor having the same impact across the board.

This is entirely based on the fact that they did not announce more things along the lines of Armory and Curated Drops, but did announce new Companions, plus the sheer number of companions that I see in the game, relative to the number of players.

There are clearly people who see value in the card game, and may buy it just for that reason. Others, may see the trifecta of story, companions, and card game irresistible.

Personally, I am not expecting the Chapter to be a bad selling item in the store. It may exceed Blackwood and Greymoor in sales. I think the card game is a bigger draw than Antiquities, and it includes version 2 of the companions from Blackwood. I am expecting that the story part will be lacking in many areas, as this is becoming a rut.

If they ditch the constant quest dialog checkpoints with the High Isle version of Eveli, I will be happy. If they stop requiring me to ask about something they just told me about because I apparently have dementia, I will be very pleased. In addition to both of those, if the story is not easily predictable, I will probably require 911 assistance. :smile:

I pre-ordered hoping that 911 assistance will be required, but deep down...

Considering that Leamon Tuttle and the trailers were both pretty clear that the Ascendant Lord is totally a bad guy who talks a good game with bad methods, I'm not holding out much hope either.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Okay, I'm sceptical as far as the new chapter is concerned, but I do like being proven WRONG. Hate me if you will, but I've never player TES Legends, soooo maybe this card game will be something amusing.

Also a new land to explore, so yeah...
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youyouz06 wrote: »

I think this person is referring to the card game which we know nothing about ^^

If they do the main quest and side quests with 3 or 4 characters, it will get them a long way to that 200 hour number. That can happen if the player stops to read and absorb the lore, find things they missed, and generally stop to enjoy the experience.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm going to be exploring High Isle for hours, or even years. $40-$50 is more than fair. The card game is just a nice bonus.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The great thing about pre-orders is that no one knows the answer, for certain, until it releases.

Great for who exactly?
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    If a card game is really the main selling point, Pre-ordering is not happening on my end.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    All chapters have been worth thier price, I expect this to be the same.

I understand there is a complete lack of meaningful actually game-changing additions in this one but a new story is always worth the price of admission.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

While watching the announcement stream I actually was wondering why they were showing Summerset areas and not the "New Chapter" turns out its all cut and paste from the previous chapters.

The Card game? As long as its not some horrible grind and the playing of the game is no longer that a minute or two. But how long does it take to play the card game? How much of a grind is it to get cards? Will card drops replace items in drop tables or augment them?

I am OK with minor mini games like betting on the outcome of the jousting, and some type of game of chance with NPC's as long a the mini game is no longer that a minute or two, and not a grind to be able to get any fair or increased ability to win.

Edited by majulook on January 31, 2022 5:12PM
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Exactly this. The amount of time I'll spend playing and enjoying the game easily justifies the costs. Perhaps I'll like the card game, perhaps not. I'll almost certainly enjoy the new zone, story, trial, and lore. The stakes are low here as the price is less than one night out for dinner with my family.

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm expecting great things but only because my expectations were so low this year I was legitimately expecting nothing new. 2 new companions with more collectable passives + a card game? That's more than Blackwood gave us, although I'm on the fence over the companions because out of the two passives only Mirri's is actually any good. Bastian's passive is more of an inventory nightmare and his potions don't even sell for more.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    We know absolutely nothing about the card game, how can you wager how much time the climb will take?
    We don't know how long the games will take, we don't know how many people will play the card game, and how many of those will play it in ranked. It could take well under 200 hours, especially if you love card games, as you say, and thus I would expect you to put in the effort to be at least pretty good at this new system.

Okay that's fair. However, even if High Isle is hypothetically only 20-30 hours of gameplay for $39.99 ($1.34/hr to $2/hr), I would still pay that amount. To me it's worth it.

I will revisit High Isle over the next 3-5 years for hours at a time just like I revisit Summerset and Western Skyrim weekly. I'm unable to measure how long I've spent in those zones but it has to be hundreds of hours at this point.
    PC NA
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    My lack of interest in last two expansions has not only made me think twice about the new chapter but the overall performance of the game has made me question having a sub.

I pretty much despise all the the things in game since Elsweyr.

I don't use companions, and I never play card games. I was cured of doing Antiquities during the Shadowfen debacle. That showed my there a lot of players in ESO that I want nothing to do with. The same people that ruin dungeons and groups in general.

I still haven't done anything beyond first quest in Blackwood which is truly terrible.

I will wait to see what happens, but they dropped the price of Blackwod 67% and people still thought it wasn't worth the price of admission.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    <snip>
    If they ditch the constant quest dialog checkpoints with the High Isle version of Eveli, I will be happy. If they stop requiring me to ask about something they just told me about because I apparently have dementia, I will be very pleased. <snip>

This, so much this.... omg so much this.
    And when I try to skip the 'who are you again" choices, I am forced to make them anyway to complete the dialog chain.
    please stop with that ZOS.

There is nothing in the announcement that is compelling me to get this expansion ASAP. Maybe the PTS will alter that. At the moment I'm just going to save some cash and wait for a sale.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Not at full price. Sammy would shame his Baandari ancestors if he buys stuff at full price.
    Edited by SammyKhajit on January 31, 2022 8:01PM
  • Hlanu
    Hlanu
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Despite not knowing much about High Isle's story, I feel confident enough to say No. To me the chapters released after Elsweyr were rather disappointing or outright boring and since the story is always the main selling point for me, there simply isn't much for me here. A story, which is probably again going to be rather lacklustre (especially since it features a character I hate) and only takes a few short hours to complete simply isn't worth 40 - 50 quid to me.
    Hlanu - Redguard Arcanist
    Tahemet at-Hubalajad - Redguard Sorcerer

PC EU
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    for me personally, it will be worth the inevitable High Isle CE upgrade for $16 during black friday 2022, but not the asking price now, heck no!, I can wait
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    As others have said, compare the product to what its competitors are putting out. Objectively, it just isn't nearly the same amount in quantity or quality as any of the other big MMO's expansions. New zones are great, but heck, your competitors put those out for free. ZOS, you need to be matching, if not exceeding that.
    Edited by asuitandtyb14_ESO on January 31, 2022 9:11PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    How do we know? It is not even on PTS.
    The forum index page banner says it is:
    The Ascending Tide DLC and Update 33 base game patch (7.3.0) are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/596951/
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Depends where you live.

I once skipped the Dishes and it cost me 70$ for 1 meal for 2.

I expect the only MMO I play is worth that cost

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You missed a response: Other/I Don't Know

I haven't even played it yet.