The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is The High Isle Chapter Worth Its Price

• MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's not enough information available to answer your question. Likewise a lot will subjectively depend on players' play styles and personal preferences.
  • Rampeal
    Rampeal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Last Great Chapter was Elsweyr. Every chapter after it just feels like a DLC. Heck Orsinium offered more than High Isle.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Can't really know until we know more, but since neither Greymoor nor Blackwood has been worth it, I'm having doubts.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • BazOfWar
    BazOfWar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No and won't be pre-ordering it.

I was a late starter with eso and have only been playing about 3 years, I loved the base game stories and maps and some of the early chapters/DLC however as time has gone by they have got thinner and thinner and are nowhere near as immersive.

Everything seems rushed and like they are just milking a dying product.
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    As others said it's impossible to say at this stage. I've always treated pre-orders (in all games) with the following approach: "do I like what's being presented enough to give money in advance?"
    In this case, the presentation was extremely dissatisfying, with little to no details about the actual gameplay mechanics, lots of questions going unanswered and topics unaddressed, dungeons looking kinda copypasted and a lot of screen time given to giveaways, jokes and worst of all third party board games I can't imagine anyone cared for especially in a chapter release. Like, if you're presenting a whole new chapter and give so much time to other stuff as opposed to the chapter itself, it doesn't exactly build up trust. So partially answer the question, "no" because I won't preorder (for the first time in a long while) based on the presentation.
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sure, as any other ESO chapter. I play this game because I love it.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    How do we know? It is not even on PTS.
    The forum index page banner says it is:
    The Ascending Tide DLC and Update 33 base game patch (7.3.0) are now available to test on the PTS! Read the full patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/596951/

That’s for the Q1 Dungeons, not the High Isle zone. The closest you’re going to get to High Isle this round on the PTS is the prologue quest.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I will get 200+ hours out of the High Isle chapter. At $39.99 that's $0.20 per hour.

To me, $0.20 per hour is worth it.

No idea how you can get 200 hours out of a Chapter when the story can be done within 10-15 hours. I'm curious. I'm someone who's reading all the quests and none of the Chapter zones main story took more than 10 hours for me to finish. Add another 10 hours (being generous here) for the side quests and maybe another 10 hours (being generous as well) for the delves, world bosses etc. and you can get ~ 30 hours out of a Chapter.

I don't know how anyone finishes any chapter or zone in 10-15 hours, unless you are just zooming through. Which is fine, if that's what you enjoy, but if I'm playing a chapter the way I enjoy it, it could easily take 200 hours. I explore every nook and cranny, farm nodes, talk to every NPC possible, find and read the lorebooks, do all the dailies, do all the delves, do all the quests. I guess if you did nothing but each of the dailies once, the delves and all of the main story and side quests, and spent about 15-20 minutes on each, you could maybe finish a zone in 10 hours or thereabouts, but I can't imagine ever rushing through like that. For me, that would be like buying a $40 box of chocolates and then cramming the whole thing into my mouth all at once.
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    It's the price of a brand new game in Canada, hard to justify that.
    uwu
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It will give me hours of entertainment and relaxation. That makes it worth it to me.
    PCNA
  • xXSilverDragonXx
    xXSilverDragonXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'll maybe buy it when it's on sale for under $15, if I feel like it. If it only gives 3 skill points then likely I won't even bother. I don't have companions and really haven't bothered with them though I have considered it for about five minutes a few times. I'm all set with gwent from Witcher so I don't need that here too. I will probably check it out on the PST to see if I want to get it at all. But really, nothing about this sound enticing aside from it being about Bretons. That's pretty sad.

From my personal perspective, things have been going downhill for years with this kind of content. Summerset was a true exception and Necro class in elswyre. But even Vardenfell was sub par, and warden class is still pretty meh. I still play because I enjoy the base content. But I play for a bit then leave the game for years, in part because new content isn't enticing to me.
    Edited by xXSilverDragonXx on February 1, 2022 8:41PM
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No. Absolutely not. I'm never buying a new chapter on release date or before. I'd rather wait till there is a discount. It's not as if I'm getting a whole new game ffs!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will get 200+ hours out of the High Isle chapter. At $39.99 that's $0.20 per hour.

No idea how you can get 200 hours out of a Chapter when the story can be done within 10-15 hours.

You spend 185 hours looking for scraps with no clues and things like squirrel's treasure.
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    As a person of limited free time, I'm not interested in the card game. I don't always have time for ESO in general anymore now that work picked up post(?) covid. So, I'm very unlikely to waste that time in a side-game.

Not interested in either of the new companions being advertised.

I personally am HUGELY interested in the zone though, and getting more aquatic and breton-themed environments. So, that may be worth it alone depending on the quality of the story and zone quests.

If I was not interested in this particular type of environment, I'd probably vote "no" and wait for a sale.
    Edited by AScarlato on February 2, 2022 12:23AM
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I already pre ordered the collectors edition, even before the reveal so I can't exactly say no.

It was the Breton armour from the trailer in the collectors edition that got me to make the decision, that and the limited time available mount/pet.

I don't buy as many games as I use to that is how I justify the spending to myself.

It comes down to whether you want the extra bits/pieces and play on release day or if you want to wait till the end of the year for a 50 - 60% discount of the standard edition.
  • Eevee_42
    Eevee_42
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, I wouldn’t even play it for free.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the "maybe" option?

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Lucozade85
    Lucozade85
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Glacku808 wrote: »
    Considering what comes with it: a new zone and the ability to play a card game, is the chapter really worth its price?

Better get those pre-orders in just in case they run out of digital copies....
  • ProbablePaul
    ProbablePaul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'd argue the price at release is a surcharge to access the content early. If you wait 3, 6, or even 9 months you can get the content for much cheaper. I think expansions are usually marked down by 25% or more during black friday sales.
    Bosmer Melee Magicka Nightblade
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'm going out on a limb here because I waited to get both Greymoor and Blackwood until they were on sale based on PTS feedback and player reviews which were horrible at the time. People complained the writing was terrible, I didn't care for Antiquities as a system, and Companions seemed to be a disappointment in terms of their survivability and function even though I was excited for them. When I finally did get around to doing the main stories for the chapters along with their part 2 DLCs this past summer, I had no expectations, and was extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed the stories. It brought back my love of role play and helped me to develop the two characters I chose as mains for those chapters. That was worth far more to me than any new system. I'm here for the stories. I'm hoping that since they are saying that in this chapter they focused more on the storytelling, it will be more engaging than past chapter stories, and I'm going to pre-order because I will want to begin it on day one. I'm no white knight here, I've complained plenty on these forums, but the stories are one thing I feel strongly about and have enjoyed consistently. I do wish they would stop forcing my characters to say dumb amnesia things though, that's a real sticking point, and I hope they knock that off with the new stories.

Edited by Kesstryl on February 2, 2022 9:49PM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No.

I saw too little that 39€ are justified. I'd like to have the mount, but for that price its a big no for me.

Just 3 tiny islands yet? If there is a big main land, perhaps yes. But the card game is also not attractive to me either.

For 20€ I'd consider purchasing it, but the cost is just too high.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting to see it on PTS, then I will form my opinion.

Blackwood was not so well hailed at start, but now it looks like companions have got their moment. And the zone itself is not that bad at a second sight. Let's see...
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No/maybe?

I've preordered all the other chapters, but this is the first time that the announcement didn't really sell the chapter to me. The card game is interesting and even though it's not really my thing, I'd still happily try it out, but the reveal for that was pretty vague (imo) and kind of assumed we knew what they were on about. I played Gwent and was rubbish at it so...

The story looks kind of interesting, but the main stories are getting shorter with each expansion (or it feels that way). I'm certainly not fussed about the pre-order bonuses this time around and don't think I'll shell out the extra for the 'collectors' edition either. It's a lot of money to part with at the moment and I kind of want to buy the new Pokemon game :lol:
    PC EU & NA
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm only voting yes because I usually wait until the Chapter is on sale at the end of the year or when it shows up on ESO+. But I'd sure like to be one of the first people to explore a new addition to the game.

Regarding the card game, I can get a pretty good game if I go back and play The Witcher 3 again. So I wouldn't really buy it for that aspect.
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Faulgor wrote: »
    If you pay full price for ESO chapters you're not paying attention.

E.g. greenmangaming.com has a 22% discount for the new chapter atm.

Is it worth the discounted price? Well, that's hard to say considering how little we have seen of it. Per Rich this card game is a really "big system", but we have seen nothing except concept art so far.

Thanks for posting this. I had said in another poll that I would wait for a sale after launch, but I went ahead and preordered it through Green Man Gaming, since it's on sale there.

I do think it's priced high for what we'll be getting. On the other hand, it's true what others have said - that I'll likely take several toons through it and therefore spend many hours there when all is said and done. (and who knows, I might get hooked on the card game, though I doubt it. The only computer card game that's ever grabbed me is Slay the Spire. I've tried many others and quickly lost interest in them, but I'll wait and see...)

• Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'm not interested in a card game. I'll buy later in the year when its cheaper ... if at all.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If you preorder the collector edition now you get two mounts and that alone should cover the cost of the purchase, at least that is how I justified it. :smile:
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Hell yes, Bretons have been my favourite race since forever so it's 100% worth the price for me for that alone. Besides, games have been 60 bucks at release since at least the early 2000's, so it's not like 40 bucks for an expansion is scandalously expensive.

For the rest, well I like ESO, so more ESO is always good in my books. And with them exploring both the Bretons' knightly culture *and* their druidic ancestry it's just a win/win for me, as especially those two vibes is what always attracted me to the race in the first place. Card game is cool, I like side activities like that, and the tarot-ish preview art was very pretty.

I do think their releases have become a bit formulaic, but on the other hand in the previous MMO I played I would've (virtually) killed for any type of consistency in their updates. So I guess I've become a bit spoiled in that regard, as this is a minor complaint I never thought I'd make. :D
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

No idea how you can get 200 hours out of a Chapter when the story can be done within 10-15 hours. I'm curious. I'm someone who's reading all the quests and none of the Chapter zones main story took more than 10 hours for me to finish. Add another 10 hours (being generous here) for the side quests and maybe another 10 hours (being generous as well) for the delves, world bosses etc. and you can get ~ 30 hours out of a Chapter.

I thought about it, and dropped the selfish, entitled attitude I had about the chapter. Let's say you only get 30 hours out of it, not including all the other normal stuff you will be doing. How much do you spend for ONE night out? You know, movie, dinner, treats, gas. Really, what are any of us whining about? Just buy and enjoy people's.
  • Bowmanganie
    Bowmanganie
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I already threw my money at it.