Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 14:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 16, 18:00 UTC (2:00PM EDT) - 20:00 UTC (4:00PM EDT) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/667442

Would you like to see pets put away automatically when people enter cities in non-combat?

• BomblePants
    BomblePants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other - please offer an alternative or reason for neither
    I have no issue with non combat pets and like to see them and what people choose to have. I don’t mind the bears or even the clanfear…. but the flapping monstrosity in the bank and at the crafting/outfit stations takes the mick…
  • KathiraNarae
    KathiraNarae
    Soul Shriven
    While I'm fine with most pets, the Morpholiths and sorc Twilights really clutter my vision while trying to make stuff in Alinor. An option to simply turn off the visuals of all other player's pets, for only you, would make things much nicer. Plus, obviously make it automatically turn back off if you're duelling or in a PvP area. Might improve load times, too.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    You can not click through combat pets. Just the other day I had to time my keypress in between flaps.

I'm not sure why people are saying we want to take old people's bears away from them. We are talking about non-combat areas.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We got action transparency when many, myself included, made it abundantly clear that action transparency alone did not suffice to deal with the visual pollution of pets.

Giving us a visibility toggle for any/all pets would be the best solution - checkboxes for different types, maybe but I'd settle for universal binary on/off. This would give individual players control over what exists in their individual visual field, especially in towns/non-combat situation. I'd actually like it for combat too - being behind a pet sorc in group is NOT fun when your visual field is entirely consumed by a flapping pet.

I doubt if zos will give us anything that prevents us from seeing stuff from crown store but I can dream.

For those who cannot comprehend what an annoyance pets are to those who cannot stand the constant contamination of the visual field, consider this audio analogy:
    • "Do you know how long I have been looking for you?"
    • "Dragons in your own homeland?"
    • "I'm gonna lose my shirt..." [pre-nerf]
  • richieh99
    richieh99
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see it as an option. I personally love seeing the cities full of life with pets, it gives the game a great atmosphere. However, I can see why it is annoying at certain times.
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, if my warden or mage is doing quests in town I should be allowed to use my pets just the same way another character can use a weapon.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    Conjuring Daedra and wild animals should also be a crime. Like Necromancers undead.

I have thought the same thing.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    What if a pet sorc gets a duel request while in a town? They can't use their pets?

How about banning duels inside cities. Makes sense since it would cause a risk to civilians and property.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    You can not click through combat pets. Just the other day I had to time my keypress in between flaps.

I'm not sure why people are saying we want to take old people's bears away from them. We are talking about non-combat areas.

Because cities are not always non-combat areas.

A number of major cities have combat quests in them. Every city has Justice System activities where you can wind up in combat with non-guard NPCs if you get spotted, including in banks and crafting areas.

There's a distinction between "hiding pets" so it doesn't bother other people vs "automatically putting away" pets in cities such that Sorcs and Wardens have to get in combat, stop, and resummon their pets first before they can deal their full damage, get full buffs, and heal themselves with those skills. At least for Sorc, the summoning animations are fairly lengthy, in part so that it's punishing if you lose your pet in the middle of a fight. It's not something I want to do after I'm in combat.

I'm not sure where you fall on "hiding vs unsummon", but that's why I'm firmly against automatic unsummoning. Those places you say are non-combat areas...really aren't.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    A number of major cities have combat quests in them. Every city has Justice System activities where you can wind up in combat with non-guard NPCs if you get spotted, including in banks and crafting areas.

If you get caught by a guard in town you aren't going to win the fight, pet or no pet, because town guards are invulnerable. So this is not a reason to need a pet in town.
    PCNA
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you get caught by a guard in town you aren't going to win the fight, pet or no pet, because town guards are invulnerable. So this is not a reason to need a pet in town.

Actually it is. Pets can aid in your escape. Two of the pets morphs allow you to heal which can make a difference between escape and death. The pets can also distract the guards for a second or two and allow escape.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

Actually it is. Pets can aid in your escape. Two of the pets morphs allow you to heal which can make a difference between escape and death. The pets can also distract the guards for a second or two and allow escape.

I don't use pets and I escape the guards just fine.
    PCNA
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd have no problem with an option to prevent you seeing other people's pets, but I wouldn't personally use it as they've never bothered me and they add to the life of an area. I'd be against disabling them altogether, however.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    Honestly, it's easy enough to despawn them by going into the character menu and right-clicking the pet. I've been doing this for years on my sorc and warden, insanely easy.

That goes for just about anything on that menu except eso plus buff. It's not hard.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on December 19, 2021 11:14PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

wolfie1.0. wrote: »

I don't use pets and I escape the guards just fine.

First off, let me say that just because you don't need or even use your pets while doing the Justice System activities doesn't mean it isn't useful for other people.

With that said:

A. There's plenty of times I've gotten into Justice System combat with NPCs who aren't guards. Say I'm pick, pick, stabbing on the streets of Windhelm and I missed a 90% pickpocket. Now an angry drunk is punching me. There's no reason I should be deprived of having my pets available. There's no reason I should have to stop and summon them once I'm in combat in order to have them for the fight.

B. There's been times that I've fled from guards and having the twilight matriarch's heal has been nice. I mean, that's kind of the point of the skill - it's the Sorc's main class-based on-demand heal. I like to have it summoned before I get into any type of combat, rather than get attacked and then have to go through the long summoning animation before I can finally use it. That's the intent of the skill - the Sorc pets and Warden bear are designed to be more-or-less permanent summons. They aren't designed to have the game automatically despawn them under any circumstances, but especially not in areas where players might very well end up in combat.

Ultimately, I don't see any reason to suggest that Sorcs and Wardens should do without the heals, damage, and passive bonuses that their pets bring to their builds while doing Justice Content in cities just because you don't use pets for those activities.

Other people do. I do. Our gameplay in cities with combat quests and during Justice System combat would be detrimentally effected by automatically unsummoning our pets.

(Our gameplay wouldn't be impacted at all by hiding our pets from other players. So that seems to me to be the far superior option.)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    Honestly, it's easy enough to despawn them by going into the character menu and right-clicking the pet. I've been doing this for years on my sorc and warden, insanely easy.

That goes for just about anything on that menu except eso plus buff. It's not hard.

It's not hard...just well hidden. I was embarrassingly advanced with my Magasorc before I realized I didn't have to manually unslot the skills to despawn them...
    :lol:
  • Fabi95
    Fabi95
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No, because this 1. breaks the immersion, 2. people like me actually enjoy seeing people's pets around (Clannfear is always funny to watch) and 3. it can lead to other problems such as when being in a fight with guards, that there is no pet to help anymore.

The best solution for this would be a client-side toggle that visually hides pets, perhaps as a graphic settings as it could help with performance for some people too.
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    My main is a magsorc, running a 1-pet build (mist of the time). I use my pets only for group content and unsummon them as soon as possible after finishing a dungeon or a trial. Its so much more convinient running around in overland or towns without them.

Also, I'm not using non-combat pets at all, for the same reason.
  • grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.... but I'd prefer to see them dissappear permanently, I find them a pointless nuiscance
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Ultimately, I don't see any reason to suggest that Sorcs and Wardens should do without the heals, damage, and passive bonuses that their pets bring to their builds while doing Justice Content in cities just because you don't use pets for those activities.

Other people do. I do. Our gameplay in cities with combat quests and during Justice System combat would be detrimentally effected by automatically unsummoning our pets.

(Our gameplay wouldn't be impacted at all by hiding our pets from other players. So that seems to me to be the far superior option.)

I agree that some find their pets useful in the situations you described, but towns are often busy and other players are negatively affected by them. If hiding them kept them from getting in the way or otherwise impacting other players in town, then that would be very reasonable.
    PCNA
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I'm a warden and I love my animals but yeah, the bear should be automatically dismissed while in towns and I would add inside player homes as well but with the option to turn the feature off/on.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I'm usually on a magblade and I am saying this as not-a-sorc and not-a-warden. Improvements have been made over the years. I can interact with objects when a bear is standing on it. Big flappy wings no longer show in my screen when I am conversing/interacting with an NPC/banker/merchant.

Interacting used to be horrible such as trying to talk to a banker between wing flaps and being unable to interact at all when a bear is standing on something. Have no one else noticed that it is better? Am I mistaken? :|
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My frustration level grows. If tables aren't blocked by bears, 17 sorcs and their flying pets make it difficult to see anything. Now companions stand side-by-side adding to the frustration.

I cannot access any interaction cues because of it, and it's overdue for a change.

I'm asking we have pets automatically put away when entering cities in non-combat situations, and restored when they leave.

If the team can remove my head gear while I'm crafting, they obviously can make this happen as well.

Better yet, if not in a group I would like the devs to turn off visual of pets and non combat pets. This would greatly improve the server.
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Bat wrote: »
    Of course they should be automatically hidden. They should even be automatically unsummoned because they aren't needed for questing, they 100% are not needed for such low resistance fights, lol.

Sorry friend - I ABSOLUTELY need my pets for questing. I am not a real twitch combat oriented person, and I still die way too often to multiple mobs.

Even if that were true; which, let's be real for a moment, it isn't your pets keeping you alive to overland mobs, it's the fact mobs are designed to be laughably non-challenging that does; you don't need your pets out 100% of the time. You can just press a key when you feel like you need them instead. It would be a huge QOL improvement for me and many others to not have to see these migraine, motion sickness inducing, tacky pets everywhere all the time.
    Edited by Bat on December 20, 2021 9:49PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I hate the Twilight Matriarch. It's the most obnoxious pet in the game. They should really fix the giant flapping wings.
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I consider it rude if players leave their Twilight pet out near outfit stations, banks, etc.
    PC NA
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Of course they should be automatically hidden. They should even be automatically unsummoned because they aren't needed for questing, they 100% are not needed for such low resistance fights, lol.

Sorry friend - I ABSOLUTELY need my pets for questing. I am not a real twitch combat oriented person, and I still die way too often to multiple mobs.

Even if that were true; which, let's be real for a moment, it isn't your pets keeping you alive to overland mobs, it's the fact mobs are designed to be laughably non-challenging that does; you don't need your pets out 100% of the time. You can just press a key when you feel like you need them instead. It would be a huge QOL improvement for me and many others to not have to see these migraine, motion sickness inducing, tacky pets everywhere all the time.

For me it is absolutely true. You can call me a liar if you like, but you don't live at my keyboard. And as I have REPEATEDLY stated, I do not have my pets out in towns or at wayshrines.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    An alternative would be to make sorc pets and the bear not be summoned and stay up indefinitely.

I have suggested this before, the warden netch is never a problem because it is only up for a few seconds and then disappears.

I mean really, there is like only one quest in Daggerfall I think that requires combat. Yet everyone thinks they need their pets in all cities and all the time.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    An alternative would be to make sorc pets and the bear not be summoned and stay up indefinitely.

I have suggested this before, the warden netch is never a problem because it is only up for a few seconds and then disappears.

I mean really, there is like only one quest in Daggerfall I think that requires combat. Yet everyone thinks they need their pets in all cities and all the time.

Not everyone: I have mine out only overland. Never in cities. I think there's a combat-quest in Vivec too though.
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    For me it is absolutely true. You can call me a liar if you like, but you don't live at my keyboard. And as I have REPEATEDLY stated, I do not have my pets out in towns or at wayshrines.

I'll not call you a liar, but the mere notion of "needing" pets for questing is just patently untrue. Level 1 characters can easily outrun mobs and survive without any gear or buff foods, so unless you don't know how to use WASD keys you really are exaggerating to an extreme. To have to summon pets when needed would make more sense anyway. They are abilities and should be on timers like any other abilities.