The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Skins are getting ridiculous

• DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    we need more items like this

We need less items like this

Ignore it and Dont buy it. This is a fantasy game.
  • Buujah
    Buujah
    ✭✭✭
    Lokryn wrote: »
    EwIFKUd.jpg

I think it could glow a bit more

watchmen-billy-crudup-1572958844.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.424xh;0,0.0124xh&resize=1200:*

• ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to have normal skin; then, everything changed when the Glitterati Nation attacked...
    Edited by ApoAlaia on December 8, 2021 8:32AM
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I actually like this skin, except I'm very tired of all the skins that white out your eyes. I would like the option to keep my character's normal eyes in these types of skins.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SKELETON AS A SKIN
    👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
    gemstone-of-skeletal-visage.jpg
    👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆
    Edited by HyekAr on December 8, 2021 4:35PM
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HyekAr wrote: »

👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
    👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

Skeleton is available as a polymorph. You can access the one in your image via a quest and a different one through one of the guild DLCs. It wouldn't make sense to have something that so dramatically changes form to be a skin.

I could be missing something though?
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that the appeal to having the skeleton as a skin is the ability to use costumes/armor with it? But I agree, the change is drastic enough that I'm not sure it would work.
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skins are terrible, immersion-breaking, and a lazy way to add new content to the game. Basically altering textures of things to make them look new/different. Happens with pets, mounts, and skins :|
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    Skins are terrible, immersion-breaking, and a lazy way to add new content to the game. Basically altering textures of things to make them look new/different. Happens with pets, mounts, and skins :|

Skins are irrelevant to "lore immersion"

It does not take long to design and implement a skin as far content goes, eso receives content every month!

Dont like skins? Dont buy em!

Btw, eso is a fantasy game.......
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, now you've brought it to my attention, I think it looks pretty good. Most of the skins are ugly as. Damn, now I'm tempted to go buy it.
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    HyekAr wrote: »

👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇
    👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆👆
    Stanx wrote: »
    Skeleton is available as a polymorph. You can access the one in your image via a quest and a different one through one of the guild DLCs. It wouldn't make sense to have something that so dramatically changes form to be a skin.
    I could be missing something though?
    I have it, but it is not as a skin so i cant use armor on it
    Number_51 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the appeal to having the skeleton as a skin is the ability to use costumes/armor with it? But I agree, the change is drastic enough that I'm not sure it would work.

Yes thats why, bcz in this way I could also Focuse on armor style

Edited by HyekAr on December 9, 2021 11:21PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skin is terrible because it is just a texture. Skins like these need to have different shine and shine effects in order to look good. Or for example look at the new radiant apex mounts - it's just a transparent model with an image. As long as the skin is just a texture, it looks very bad.
    PC/EU
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skin is terrible because it is just a texture. Skins like these need to have different shine and shine effects in order to look good. Or for example look at the new radiant apex mounts - it's just a transparent model with an image. As long as the skin is just a texture, it looks very bad.

THAT must be why those two radiant apex look wrong to me! I was thinking they looked flat somehow but couldn’t place exactly what seemed off.
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DagenHawk wrote: »
    I think they just crank out so much stuff...it's hard to keep the quality.

I just wish they would come up with radiant Apex mounts that didn't look like Disco Balls

3931255.jpg

Or what about a mount that is literally just a disco ball? Floating flashing orb.
  • Ariont
    Ariont
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Maybe because it's literally glitter? I know glitter sells but.... this crown crate is literally pure glitter :D

Never enough glitter
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47v8wye9drpvy0d0eyof5qxv1d8d5fws001akldc0v&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

That is awesome. Thanks I needed that today!!!!!!!
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's known as "jumping the shark."

The game is so old now that the developers have to create more and more absurd cosmetics and mounts in order to release anything new. It's an internal arms race within ZOS to create something big and bold that's bigger and bolder than the last big and bold thing. So you end up with nuclear powered mounts that explode in a mushroom cloud when summoned and glowing diamond sparkle glitter skins.

And it's not going to stop. I don't envy the dev team that has to come up with a new skin or mount every few weeks.
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    krachall wrote: »

The game is so old now that the developers have to create more and more absurd cosmetics and mounts in order to release anything new. It's an internal arms race within ZOS to create something big and bold that's bigger and bolder than the last big and bold thing. So you end up with nuclear powered mounts that explode in a mushroom cloud when summoned and glowing diamond sparkle glitter skins.

And it's not going to stop. I don't envy the dev team that has to come up with a new skin or mount every few weeks.

actually less is more, as they say....

I'd recommend dialing it back a notch or two and make something minimalist; style over flash is gorgeous to a lot of us too.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, but what befuddles me is why they do this.

Every time I have seen a character outfit customization implemented into a game, I end up seeing more relaxed outfits, non flashy, humble attire than the flashy stuff. Its like people actually crave some legit looking mount or outfits. The "hide shoulder" thread on these forums is an example of people wanting to dial it down. Not really sure why they keep introducing flashy stuff that does not look like it would even take place in the Elder Scrolls Universe in the first place.
  • krachall
    krachall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

Every time I have seen a character outfit customization implemented into a game, I end up seeing more relaxed outfits, non flashy, humble attire than the flashy stuff. Its like people actually crave some legit looking mount or outfits. The "hide shoulder" thread on these forums is an example of people wanting to dial it down. Not really sure why they keep introducing flashy stuff that does not look like it would even take place in the Elder Scrolls Universe in the first place.

Yeah, I see that as well. Some of my favorite outfits were the crafter outfits they released several years ago. A simple blacksmith or chef outfit. Awesome.

I am certainly no expert in fantasy writing but I think what we're seeing is sometimes referred to as "low magic" and "high magic" writing. In low magic world, most things are explainable by simple physics. Conan was the hero he was because he was faster and stronger than everyone else. Legolas was a great archer due to ages and ages of practice as an immortal elf. In these low magic worlds, something that was HIGH magic was rare, amazing, and a huge deal! Smaug was the focus of an entire book because there wasn't a dragon invading a town every 3 minutes...there was ONE dragon and he was a big deal.

A flaming sword in Game of Thrones was a huge deal because every peasant in the book wasn't walking around with a flaming sword. I remember playing Everquest at launch and hearing rumors that some high level player (level 30!!) had acquired a flaming sword. The game was abuzz with people trying to verify it or, better yet, see it! A flaming sword!!!

ESO was already high fantasy when it launched, in my opinion. So everyone has a flaming sword, molten lava armor, and an exploding mount made of stardust. Level 4 characters can transmute into a skeleton, equip staff, and kill a dragon 5 minutes into their character's life. Due to its age, ESO transcended from high fantasy to what I'd call absurd fantasy. Nothing is too ridiculous or over-the-top and the only limitations are the game engine mechanics and the speed at which new models can be added.
    Edited by krachall on December 10, 2021 3:54PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I see that as well. Some of my favorite outfits were the crafter outfits they released several years ago. A simple blacksmith or chef outfit. Awesome.

I am certainly no expert in fantasy writing but I think what we're seeing is sometimes referred to as "low magic" and "high magic" writing. In low magic world, most things are explainable by simple physics. Conan was the hero he was because he was faster and stronger than everyone else. Legolas was a great archer due to ages and ages of practice as an immortal elf. In these low magic worlds, something that was HIGH magic was rare, amazing, and a huge deal! Smaug was the focus of an entire book because there wasn't a dragon invading a town every 3 minutes...there was ONE dragon and he was a big deal.

A flaming sword in Game of Thrones was a huge deal because every peasant in the book wasn't walking around with a flaming sword. I remember playing Everquest at launch and hearing rumors that some high level player (level 30!!) had acquired a flaming sword. The game was abuzz with people trying to verify it or, better yet, see it! A flaming sword!!!

ESO was already high fantasy when it launched, in my opinion. So everyone has a flaming sword, molten lava armor, and an exploding mount made of stardust. Level 4 characters can transmute into a skeleton, equip staff, and kill a dragon 5 minutes into their character's life. Due to its age, ESO transcended from high fantasy to what I'd call absurd fantasy. Nothing is too ridiculous or over-the-top and the only limitations are the game engine mechanics and the speed at which new models can be added.

The Elder Scrolls is high fantasy by your definition - questgivers are chucking around cheap enchanted items for minor favors every way you turn.

And as for "absurd fantasy", we already had flying elf wizards wearing bug robes and living in mushroom towers, necromancer liches ascending to become god-moons, whole nations starting wars over control of reality-warping steampunk death robots, and that's to say nothing of the really obscure lore.

Even if we ignore the absurdities that the fortify restoration/Alchemy loops have given us ever since TES 3 (leaping the island of Vvardenfell in a single bound, anyone?), our characters are living in a world where people shout down castle gates with their Voice, your neighbor might be a member of a daedric cult out to unleash a massive siege engine on your city, and mystical prophecies from Scrolls that nobody really understands have a tangible impact on your lives.

So I guess I'd say that the charm of The Elder Scrolls has always been high fantasy that's not afraid to dip into the absurd.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn.
    Last shreds of immersion are gone.
    Lol.
    Lmoa even.
    Awake, but at what cost
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the starry skin. To me it seems quite appropriate for the Chosen One of the Keywright's Gallery, or for a Paragon of Nirn. It's imaginative, inspiring even. Very suitable for immersive RP.
    PC EU
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll be happy when I can get black glitter.

SilkyBadAntarcticgiantpetrel-max-1mb.gif

I just need the glitter :D
    u1UYOk5.png
    love is love
  • Jeffrey530
    Jeffrey530
    ✭✭✭✭

The Elder Scrolls is high fantasy by your definition - questgivers are chucking around cheap enchanted items for minor favors every way you turn.

And as for "absurd fantasy", we already had flying elf wizards wearing bug robes and living in mushroom towers, necromancer liches ascending to become god-moons, whole nations starting wars over control of reality-warping steampunk death robots, and that's to say nothing of the really obscure lore.

Even if we ignore the absurdities that the fortify restoration/Alchemy loops have given us ever since TES 3 (leaping the island of Vvardenfell in a single bound, anyone?), our characters are living in a world where people shout down castle gates with their Voice, your neighbor might be a member of a daedric cult out to unleash a massive siege engine on your city, and mystical prophecies from Scrolls that nobody really understands have a tangible impact on your lives.

So I guess I'd say that the charm of The Elder Scrolls has always been high fantasy that's not afraid to dip into the absurd.

Pretty much this. When people complain about cosmetics not fitting in eso, what they meant is 'I dislike this style of cosmetics, so it should not be in the game for those that enjoy it'.

Honestly if peeps are happy with the simple blacksmith or fishermen outfits, good for them but not everyone wants to roleplay a Tamriel peasant lol.
  • Vonkarolinas
    Vonkarolinas
    ✭✭✭
    Davor wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Harvokaan wrote: »
    We already have much more ridiculous skins in this game, why this one is worse in your opinion?

Maybe because it's literally glitter? I know glitter sells but.... this crown crate is literally pure glitter :D

Vampires? Vampires in daylight? I guess people can roll play now. :)

Those never were, and never will be true vampires. True Vampires don't sparkle. End of discussion.
    Edited by Vonkarolinas on December 10, 2021 9:40PM
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. I rarely ever post on forums, but this one brought me in. I agree with the OP. The last thing I want to see is this beloved game I've supported since Beta devolve into something like FF14 with the ultra skimpy, far too casual outfits that break immersion wherever they're seen. This IS ridiculous, but it can also get much worse.

I hope developers push their levels of creativity to come up with new ideas without devolving into these lowbrow design temptations. Sure, they might make a few bucks selling them to the odd one or two out there, but I think their inclusion into breaks immersion to the point to where it's detrimental to the lore as a whole--and that's not good at all.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeffrey530 wrote: »

Pretty much this. When people complain about cosmetics not fitting in eso, what they meant is 'I dislike this style of cosmetics, so it should not be in the game for those that enjoy it'.

I don't think that's fair. I like these skins, but they absolutely don't fit in with prior entries. Back when the dye studios were first introduced the devs even admitted to a huge and fierce internal debate over whether or not they should even have the color pink and what would happen if someone wanted a pink orc. (Iirc)

These skins and dyes absolutely don't fit the aesthetic of prior games and it's nothing wrong with people preferring the Elder Scrolls Online would have stuck to the prior pallette established by other games.

That ship has long sailed though and I feel like the game is better for it. This game has always been high fantasy and I have no issues with the aesthetic matching that feel.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 10, 2021 9:53PM
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a problem in all games where there are ample opportunities for character customization. Not all people who play eso are lovers of the lore and setting of the scrolls. Therefore, they see nothing wrong with dressing up their character as a neon combat robot. And that's okay, really. As long as the world remains lore-friendly in the game, I'm fine. And players will find ways to look bright and weird anyway.
    PC/EU
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem with that skin is that it's static and 400 gems. Now if they'd made it like the Celestial Ram or the Nebulous Horse with a moving starscape, I'd have bought it.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the fancy pants skins but also like the more subtle ones, there's Magicka on Nirn and beyond that could cause weird skin.

My only complaint with skins is that on my black panther khajiit they often give her a white/grey muzzle and make her look old. Khajiit is young, she doesn't need this. She would like to keep sexy black muzzle.