The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

If it meant they could add more classes would you accept them removing mementos?

• Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I love the mementos and don't think they need new classes.
    I don't understand "ran out of room for new animations".

I don't understand it either. It makes no sense to me.

Even if that was true (and I don't see why it would be) they could simply recycle animations already in use.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Undecided
    Regardless of Matt's statement on memory issues a little while back;

I don't think they should add any more classes until they balance the ones they have (its definitely getting there imo.) and fix performance issues. Perhaps deal with the server issues etc.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm Fine either way.
    I don't really bother much with the mementos much, other games I have played like SWTOR don't add new classes so it's no big issue to me if they stop with what they have, now but would still like some more character slots on occasion.

But to me they should focus on treating the cause of their animation shortages not alleviating the symptoms by removing mementos.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the mementos, I never use them anyway.
    Here is the video with Matt talking about the consoles an animations.

It sounds to me like this was an issue, and they worked around it. Not sure how this pertains to today, but I think its safe to say that if they were having animation issues currently, we'd not see animations being used on things like new mementos or emotes but we are seeing that. So, the animation thing is most likely a non issue.

Go to 46:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wy8rYq5t9o

Edited by Raideen on November 29, 2021 10:18PM
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Here is the video with Matt talking about the consoles an animations.

It sounds to me like this was an issue, and they worked around it. Not sure how this pertains to today, but I think its safe to say that if they were having animation issues currently, we'd not see animations being used on things like new mementos or emotes but we are seeing that. So, the animation thing is most likely a non issue.

Go to 46:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wy8rYq5t9o

Thank you for sharing that.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.

I am also assuming that the 6 months is past, so whatever they did to mitigate consoles, call it engine optimization, allowed them to resume.

Optimization will only get them so far before they hit the limit, again. It is a "non-issue" until then.

Right or wrong, I think of it like packing stuff into the trunk of a car. It is possible to pack a lot in there, but eventually, you find that there isn't room for a box that needs to go in there. Maybe you can repack and make room for the box and maybe a few other things, and you are good until the next box that doesn't fit. Maybe the box has to be left on the curb until you buy a bigger car with a bigger trunk. :smile:
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Even if that was true (and I don't see why it would be) they could simply recycle animations already in use.

Speaking as someone who has some experience with models and textures, but not animations, I figure that they do reuse existing animations.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

I am also assuming that the 6 months is past, so whatever they did to mitigate consoles, call it engine optimization, allowed them to resume.

Optimization will only get them so far before they hit the limit, again. It is a "non-issue" until then.

Right or wrong, I think of it like packing stuff into the trunk of a car. It is possible to pack a lot in there, but eventually, you find that there isn't room for a box that needs to go in there. Maybe you can repack and make room for the box and maybe a few other things, and you are good until the next box that doesn't fit. Maybe the box has to be left on the curb until you buy a bigger car with a bigger trunk. :smile:
    Jeremy wrote: »

Speaking as someone who has some experience with models and textures, but not animations, I figure that they do reuse existing animations.

Ohh I don't disagree. I am one of the pushers of the idea of removing mementos to use for new weapon lines or animations.

I just see it as an issue of what will be used more with limited resources. Its like decorating a house. I put a bunch of stuff outside the house invisible walls to make the outside environment more alive, but as I get closer to being done/running out of slots, I realize I have to start pulling those outside items that most folks wont even realize as something I place, and start putting things inside where people will see what is placed and what will make the environment more compelling.

• DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't buy it because it doesn't make sense when they're adding new animations every DLC, plus every time they add a new emote or polymorph to the crown store. Not to mention new Apex and radiant mounts.

My guess is they realize they aren't balancing the current classes as is so why add another log on the bonfire they can't get under control.

The only thing I'd like them to add is a bards college guild skill line.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • BlossomDead
    BlossomDead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop with the false rumours.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    I'm not sure why there would be a 'limit on animations' unless their engine and netcode were so poorly engineered it is just an impossibility at this point (like spell-crafting). It is based on a very old modified engine that doesn't even support cloth physics.

My understanding is that it is memory limitations. It is a zero sum situation. Once you hit the limit, if you want more animations in VRAM, you have to take something else out, or make something smaller so that there is more room. It sounds like they did the latter.
    Amottica wrote: »
    Probably someone trying to start a false rumor. They did not run out of room.

Firor says that they did in the June IGN interview. :smile: "At one point we had to stop adding new animations to the game for 6 months, because we would just run out of memory on those devices"

Ok. But eliminating moments would not make room for a new class since it is more important to have different bosses in new content and new animations there.

Besides, Zenimax will not take away moments. The forums would blow up if they took away things players earned in-game and especially the ones players have paid for.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was enough space for antiquities and companions, which no one asked for.

Maybe not Antiquities, but given the success of Skyrim, there were a number of requests for Companions. I've been making jokes about Lydia coming back to block doorways and eat my sweet rolls for years.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think the game needs more classes.
    seriously?, a game that relies on animation canceling, running out of room for animations....
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    *throws mudballs indiscriminately*
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    Amottica wrote: »
    Ok. But eliminating moments would not make room for a new class since it is more important to have different bosses in new content and new animations there.

Besides, Zenimax will not take away moments. The forums would blow up if they took away things players earned in-game and especially the ones players have paid for.

No, they are not going to take them away. The ones they add in the future will be balanced against what their platforms can support.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather have momentos than classes. No more classes please. In fact, I'd love to get rid of all classes.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    I'd much rather have momentos than classes. No more classes please. In fact, I'd love to get rid of all classes.

That is an entirely different topic. I know why they do classes in ESO, as it has been explained to me, but sheesh, I wish they would have done something different.
  • GrahamJoyce
    GrahamJoyce
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be cool to have more class options and I'm all for adding them in the future.
    That being said I think the classes that already exist are not as balanced as they should be. Adding another (or multiple) new classes would make class skills and item sets even more difficult to balance and I would be concerned that certain classes would become obsolete or underperform.
    I'd like to see new classes but only if @ZOS can implement them in a way that doesn't break other classes.
  • The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    They add many mementos to the game every year, I highly doubt this is the reasoning. A new class would make me create a new character, but I don't think the game needs it.
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer they ditch support for the platform that has the animation limit, then they can add weapons, skills lines, classes, and mementos until they max it out on another platform. :smile:

You can thank console players for the continued support ESO receives.

I much rather see pc support halted or atleast PTS be brought to console!

Btw mementos are useless.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    I would prefer they ditch support for the platform that has the animation limit, then they can add weapons, skills lines, classes, and mementos until they max it out on another platform. :smile:

Yeah, but those platforms are not the future. The future is XBox Series X|S and PS5, as well as new PC systems, not those older ones.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Undecided
    Interesting discussion.

I would enjoy a new class. However I am hesitant to support the idea in general (as opposed to even the more narrow "as a memento trade-off" suggested in this poll) as it has seemed in some cases that new things have been stolen from classes, diluting class identity. For example, I'm not a big NB person but there were concerns about things unique to NB being incorporated into... I think it was the vampire re-work. Plus, the more classes or even new skill lines, the more attempts to balance which inevitably leads to standardization which also tends to ruin class specialness. For example, as a Templar main, I miss the days when shards could stun and Breath of Life wasn't a cone.

So, on the fence about a new class. Would enjoy one that is truly unique and doesn't chip away at the others... otherwise I would say please no. I'm super worried about how one of the most-requested things, a bard, could negatively impact the already misunderstood healing role.

And momentos.... REALLY surprised to see how many people use them and like them. The extent to which I use them is limited to checking them out once or twice when I get them. In fact, one of my least favorite parts of the ESO design is the limited slots on the quick slot wheel. I NEVER have space for anything fun after adding potions, assistants, the scrying thing, and usually some kind of PvP item, and I find it super annoying to swap them out regularly. I need the potions, banker, merchant, etc generally on the same spot on my wheel on all toons so I choose the right things. How do any of you have the patience to swap momentos into your wheel to use them?!? I'm serious. Maybe I don't have enough patience but it is way too frustrating and clunky for me. And navigating through the menu to find them quickly? Even worse.

If they were easier to use, I would use the momentos as I like them and I use emotes all the time. There are a couple I would probably be sad about losing if I looked through them. So again, on the fence about giving them up for other functionality. I would rather they all get slash commands so I could enjoy them more.... unless the new potential class we get doesn't dilute the other classes rather we have.

Yep. All around undecided. ;)
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ach.... I just can't stand it any more. The word is "mementos" NOT "momentos". *SIGH*
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, but those platforms are not the future. The future is XBox Series X|S and PS5, as well as new PC systems, not those older ones.

ESO is playable on the new xbox, i have it and all i had to do was DL an update.

The consoles is whats keeping ESO going. $$$
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    peacenote wrote: »

And momentos.... REALLY surprised to see how many people use them and like them. The extent to which I use them is limited to checking them out once or twice when I get them. In fact, one of my least favorite parts of the ESO design is the limited slots on the quick slot wheel. I NEVER have space for anything fun after adding potions, assistants, the scrying thing, and usually some kind of PvP item, and I find it super annoying to swap them out regularly. I need the potions, banker, merchant, etc generally on the same spot on my wheel on all toons so I choose the right things. How do any of you have the patience to swap momentos into your wheel to use them?!? I'm serious. Maybe I don't have enough patience but it is way too frustrating and clunky for me. And navigating through the menu to find them quickly? Even worse.

If they were easier to use, I would use the momentos as I like them and I use emotes all the time. There are a couple I would probably be sad about losing if I looked through them. So again, on the fence about giving them up for other functionality. I would rather they all get slash commands so I could enjoy them more.... unless the new potential class we get doesn't dilute the other classes rather we have.

Yep. All around undecided. ;)

Yeah, I wish there was another wheel they could put on an unassigned key. These days I just use them from the collections page. It doesn't help for things like mudballs and cherry blossoms, but for leaf-dance aura or swarm of crows it's fine.
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't need new classes and frankly I don't understand how it can be connected with mementos.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather new skill lines all classes could use. Like Staff, Lance or Spear.
    Edited by Nanfoodle on November 30, 2021 4:45AM
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... What?
    Edited by Eiagra on November 30, 2021 4:00AM
          In verity.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

I understand that from a short term money perspective it makes sense to port the game to every device known to man, so people who can only play it on their toaster will also buy boxes.

However, if you have to gimp your game design so severely to get it to play on said toaster that you lose the ability to remain competitive in your genre that will have negative money ramifications in itself.

If they are seriously not able to continue to develop new classes in their game because they are compromised by making it play on old console hardware, it sounds like they have hit this limit and imposed an artificial shelf life on their own product's future viability.

Why would I play a game with the same classes for years on end when combat is 90% of the game?

Maybe they can find clever ways to re-use existing animations then? That way they could still have new classes with new mechanics, just with recycled animations?

Not sure what is stopping them from doing that. This excuse sounds highly dubious to me.
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Why do we need new animation for a new class? So we can tell when people are messing up their DPS?
  • CaliphStudio
    CaliphStudio
    ✭✭✭
    Classes should not be added just for the sake of adding them.

1: they will feel very cheap and forceful if ZoS gets used to a cycle of "A class every X years", a new class should be added when it feels right to add them.

2: for the same reason if we force classes, their playstyle will start looking like a random mix of other classes.

3: instead of a new class, there could be new, actually thought over, fun, skill lines, that instead of forcing an alt to enjoy them, will just add more to your already existing character, dont forget, eso is the game where you can be literally anything regardless of your race/class, I believe we need more of that than already-decided-for-us classes.