The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

If it meant they could add more classes would you accept them removing mementos?

• DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    I voted no, not out of egoism, but simply because I don't believe that the few mementos we have are the reason for not implementing a new class.

Adding a new class into the game is a huge work. Game content needs to be adapted at all levels. This means big invest of time and efforts. The resulting costs are probably hardly compensated by the benefit ZOS could gain out of it, otherwise they would have used the chance to implement it. The mementos have most probably very little impact - to none - in this issue I think.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't see understand the animation limit. Animation require much less memory than all the new sets and outfits we get.
    More so that its not many new animations for an class, 15 if all the class skills has an unique one.
    Mementos tend to exist in the game for NPC anyway.
    Classes need balancing and be relevant and fun who is the hard part.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some mementos are paid for, with real money, so I don't think that'd go down well, tbh.

That being said, the only ones I really use are Almalexia's lantern, and the Antiquarian's Eye. So I'm not really that bothered.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Undecided
    As far as I remember it's a solved issue already, but the main point was (if I recall correctly?) that combat animations are already preloaded unlike mementos and other low frequency ones so it was a talk about ones that are constantly cycling in memory to be drawn from without any delays. The only way to combat that would be removed weapons and classes so it wouldn't be possible.

I can't care less if mementos were removed but it won't solve anything plus will just anger bunch of players which isn't really a smart direction. Removing anything in general isn't.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm Fine either way.
    It took them forever to semi-balance Warden, they still haven't balanced Necromancer, and you want more classes? I mean...sure, why not add to the mess...I mean, Nightblade still needs love, DK needs love, we need more class identity before we add a whole new class. Maybe even a new weapon line, I would adore a polearm skill line, or one hand and rune, if they would FINALLY introduce the College of Winterhold and give us spellcrafting :/
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • WraithShadow13
    WraithShadow13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the mementos, I like them but I want a new class more.
    I love the mementos but they don't do anything really. They LOOK cool, but at the end of the day, i would rather see new powers, skills, classes, weapon types, etc.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Raideen wrote: »
    It sounds to me like this was an issue, and they worked around it. Not sure how this pertains to today, but I think its safe to say that if they were having animation issues currently, we'd not see animations being used on things like new mementos or emotes but we are seeing that. So, the animation thing is most likely a non issue.

I am also assuming that the 6 months is past, so whatever they did to mitigate consoles, call it engine optimization, allowed them to resume.

Optimization will only get them so far before they hit the limit, again. It is a "non-issue" until then.

Right or wrong, I think of it like packing stuff into the trunk of a car. It is possible to pack a lot in there, but eventually, you find that there isn't room for a box that needs to go in there. Maybe you can repack and make room for the box and maybe a few other things, and you are good until the next box that doesn't fit. Maybe the box has to be left on the curb until you buy a bigger car with a bigger trunk. :smile:
    Jeremy wrote: »
    Even if that was true (and I don't see why it would be) they could simply recycle animations already in use.

Speaking as someone who has some experience with models and textures, but not animations, I figure that they do reuse existing animations.

I'm sure they do. That's why it doesn't make any sense to me that it would be an impediment to adding new classes. Though I'm in the camp of I'd rather have new skill lines or game systems than classes. I don't like starting over.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    ESO is playable on the new xbox, i have it and all i had to do was DL an update.

I am missing your point, or maybe you are missing mine. I play on the new XBox, too...
    If they are seriously not able to continue to develop new classes in their game because they are compromised by making it play on old console hardware, it sounds like they have hit this limit and imposed an artificial shelf life on their own product's future viability.

We don't know the extent that the old consoles and PCs are holding ZOS back, but we do know that ZOS designs the game for the lowest common denominator. It has to run on all of the old platforms just as it runs on the newer ones. Logic suggests that this is going to limit what they can do. Whether the limit matters, when placed against everything else that limits them, we do not know.

It is in the best interest of ZOS to recycle as much existing content as they can, and they have a lot of stuff that can be reused in new classes and skill lines. All they have to do is retexture things, create a few icons, change some special effects, and they can call it a day. (Yes, there is more to it than that...) Recycled content will have less of an impact on older systems than entirely new content, with never-seen-before effects and animations.

However, the more new content that they do, the less content that they can do. That is a basic limitation that they have, and that might be more of a limitation than GPU capacity and throughput on older systems.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the mementos, I never use them anyway.
    What I find most interesting about this conversation is the fact that 30% of people who voted feel that the game does not need another class. I was not expecting that when I created this poll. If this is representative of the population as a whole, then it would mean that 1/3 of the player base feels we do not need an extra class.

... Of course, that also means that 2/3 of the player base either feels we need another class or is at least indifferent about the idea. That is interesting to ponder on.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think the game needs more classes.
    Zuboko wrote: »
    What I find most interesting about this conversation is the fact that 30% of people who voted feel that the game does not need another class. I was not expecting that when I created this poll. If this is representative of the population as a whole, then it would mean that 1/3 of the player base feels we do not need an extra class.

... Of course, that also means that 2/3 of the player base either feels we need another class or is at least indifferent about the idea. That is interesting to ponder on.

Indeed, you'll find other examples of this over the course of ESO's many years. At one point we had events so frequently there were forum threads talking about actually lessening the amount of events over the year. Event fatigue began to set in and ZOS started putting some distance between them and started doing things like bundling things together. Like the year one event included Craglorn, Imperial City, and Wrothgar instead of separating them out into their own separate events.

This is equally true for classes, especially when the classes release in a broken state or continue to be issues in the present day. A class is 3 entire skill lines to balance and adding new ones should take a lot of time and careful planning instead of throwing it out and catching the issues with how players use it later. Add in the issue of players wanting more character slots which create database storage issues ZOS has to work with among other things, and new classes being released is never a smooth experience.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.

This poll is not accurate enough to draw conclusions about people wanting a new class. For starters, the question places people into the mindset that they have to give up something to get a new class.

I *do* want a new class. I want a martial/monk class with a weaponless skill line based on both stamina and magicka from Level 1. No morphs.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This poll is not accurate enough to draw conclusions about people wanting a new class. For starters, the question places people into the mindset that they have to give up something to get a new class.

I *do* want a new class. I want a martial/monk class with a weaponless skill line based on both stamina and magicka from Level 1. No morphs.

Which is why I only looked at the percentage of people who said they felt that ESO did not need a new class, and left room to question for where the rest of the people stood.
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't feel like ESO needs a new class, and I couldn't care less about memento's.

The only thing ESO needs that is doesn't have is customer appreciation and servers adequate to support the game.
    Edited by AJones43865 on December 1, 2021 1:20AM
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like this was an issue, and they worked around it. Not sure how this pertains to today, but I think its safe to say that if they were having animation issues currently, we'd not see animations being used on things like new mementos or emotes but we are seeing that. So, the animation thing is most likely a non issue.

I am also assuming that the 6 months is past, so whatever they did to mitigate consoles, call it engine optimization, allowed them to resume.

Optimization will only get them so far before they hit the limit, again. It is a "non-issue" until then.

Right or wrong, I think of it like packing stuff into the trunk of a car. It is possible to pack a lot in there, but eventually, you find that there isn't room for a box that needs to go in there. Maybe you can repack and make room for the box and maybe a few other things, and you are good until the next box that doesn't fit. Maybe the box has to be left on the curb until you buy a bigger car with a bigger trunk. :smile:
    Even if that was true (and I don't see why it would be) they could simply recycle animations already in use.

Speaking as someone who has some experience with models and textures, but not animations, I figure that they do reuse existing animations.

I'm sure they do. That's why it doesn't make any sense to me that it would be an impediment to adding new classes. Though I'm in the camp of I'd rather have new skill lines or game systems than classes. I don't like starting over.

Each class has 3 skill lines and 1 ultimate. Skills have their own animations, literally adding more classes is the same thing as adding skill lines.
    Laziness on the developrs side^

Eso lacks variety and class identity.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    I paid for some of those mementos, if they removed them, I and many others would be fuming.
    Edited by Epona222 on December 1, 2021 2:43AM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • BulletMagnetX
    BulletMagnetX
    ✭✭✭
    More than new classes, I want new combat skill trees. The one I can think of that doesn't require too many new animations or weapon models would be Duelling, requiring a single one-handed weapon.
    Molag's balls!
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's a lie.

I see plenty of npc classes with their own animations
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Each class has 3 skill lines and 1 ultimate. Skills have their own animations, literally adding more classes is the same thing as adding skill lines.

It's not the same because skill lines can be learned by any class. Skill lines associated with new classes require you to start over begin playing a new character to learn. That's what I was trying to say in that post, and why I prefer new skill lines to new classes.

Skills do have their own animations, but they can borrow animations from other skills. They already do this a lot. Though honestly I doubt the claim they can't make more animations.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 1, 2021 5:22AM
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭

It's not the same because skill lines can be learned by any class. Skill lines associated with new classes require you to start over begin playing a new character to learn. That's what I was trying to say in that post, and why I prefer new skill lines to new classes.

Skills do have their own animations, but they can borrow animations from other skills. They already do this a lot. Though honestly I doubt the claim they can't make more animations.

Non class specific skill lines are a waste of time and adds nothing new to the plate!

Class identity has been ripped apart because of classless skill lines and this absurd notion we need hybridization. This game lacks classes

MG
    FG
    WW
    Vampire
    Psijic
    Soul magic
    Antiquities
    7 classless skill lines and 6 classes are present..... Yea its about time for new classes!
    Edited by DontWorryAboutit on December 1, 2021 9:14AM
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh my. I am so sorry that us console plebs are somehow holding you PC masters back from having the game of your dreams!
    Nothing to do with the game engine at all.
    Love that you can dismiss 2/3rds of the player base that has been the salvation of this game from what it was at the start. Without consoles, it would have died.
    (Sorry for the rant but some comments made me a tad angry)

Why do we need a new class? Do we actually? What would it be?

A bard? A ‘fighting monk’ (?!)? What?

Would rather that long term issues <cough>Cyrodiil<cough> got some love than wasting time & resources on this.

And anyway, it can’t be combat animations that cause the issue as the whole fighting system is based on animation cancelling…..🤣🤣
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Non class specific skill lines are a waste of time and adds nothing new to the plate!

Class identity has been ripped apart because of classless skill lines and this absurd notion we need hybridization. This game lacks classes

MG
    FG
    WW
    Vampire
    Psijic
    Soul magic
    Antiquities
    7 classless skill lines and 6 classes are present..... Yea its about time for new classes!

Yeah, well new classes aren't going to add nothing new to the table for people who don't want to start over.

As far as your argument against hybridization, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for them. When they did have specific class strengths and weaknesses people complained about it endlessly. So eventually they hybridized them so they could manage all roles. So adding new classes isn't going to fix that problem. Because any new classes they were to release would still be hybridized because that just the direction they decided to take the game because that's what most people wanted. None class specific skill lines had and has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Edited by Jeremy on December 1, 2021 10:25AM
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Hallothiel wrote: »
    Oh my. I am so sorry that us console plebs are somehow holding you PC masters back from having the game of your dreams!
    Nothing to do with the game engine at all.
    Love that you can dismiss 2/3rds of the player base that has been the salvation of this game from what it was at the start. Without consoles, it would have died.
    (Sorry for the rant but some comments made me a tad angry)

Why do we need a new class? Do we actually? What would it be?

A bard? A ‘fighting monk’ (?!)? What?

Would rather that long term issues <cough>Cyrodiil<cough> got some love than wasting time & resources on this.

And anyway, it can’t be combat animations that cause the issue as the whole fighting system is based on animation cancelling…..🤣🤣

Just look at DnD and you will find more of fun to play classes than any of the 6 in ESO... Or maybe the problem is their classes are so cut off and bundled together for like no reason, this is actually 18 classes - I wish they would have 18 fully customizable classes than those torsos - like frost magic of warden only for tanking, you cannot use the staff aswell, because fire staff will always do better dps and so on.

Also some players already finished the game with those 6 classes - you are angry about someone dismissing the consol players and you would dismiss players who would like to have a new class to have a reason to play again - that is not nice :)
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more new classes.. only new skill lines.

Still waiting for Conjuration, Alteration and Illusion magic skill lines....
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    More classes? Meh.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    No more new classes.. only new skill lines.

Still waiting for Conjuration, Alteration and Illusion magic skill lines....

Those could be done with spellcrafting - it doesn't have to be combat magic. They always talk about combat balance when it comes to spellcrafting, but it doesn't have to be combat always, or spellcrafting could customize the current spells.
    EDIT:
    only trees is fine aswell
    Edited by Mandragora on December 1, 2021 3:23PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Chrysa1is
    Chrysa1is
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mementos are cool, but useless overall. I'd trade them for class/new class abilities any day.
  • Charlotte_Loreley
    Charlotte_Loreley
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think the game needs more classes.
    I heard that the reason they stopped adding classes was because they ran out of room for new animations.

This has got to be a joke. You are not living under a rock and using a gaming machine made out of clay, are you?
    How can a person play ESO and use an online forum to write out that sentence with a straight face?

In today's age, creativity and money are the only deciding factors as to whether people advance forward or stay where they are. And with storage being so dirt cheap nowadays, especially for a big game developer and publisher, there's no limit on how many trillions of animations can be stored.

Just for your information, we're talking about Zenimax Media, here. It's a gaming company that owns a whole bunch of game development and publishing studios, AND it was acquired by freaking Microsoft (a huge company that has its own gaming division Xbox Game Studios, WHICH has double the amount of game development studios than that of Zenimax Media).

So yeah....money/storage is not the issue here, my dear gullible friend. In fact, money hasn't been an issue for big game companies for several years now. The only things holding gaming industry back is talent and will.
  • DontWorryAboutit
    DontWorryAboutit
    ✭✭✭

MG
    FG
    WW
    Vampire
    Psijic
    Soul magic
    Antiquities

Yeah, well new classes aren't going to add nothing new to the table for people who don't want to start over.

As far as your argument against hybridization, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for them. When they did have specific class strengths and weaknesses people complained about it endlessly. So eventually they hybridized them so they could manage all roles. So adding new classes isn't going to fix that problem. Because any new classes they were to release would still be hybridized because that just the direction they decided to take the game because that's what most people wanted. None class specific skill lines had and has absolutely nothing to do with that.

And yet here we are every day on the forum reading endless posts about how one's damage build is lacking because they thought it would be great that they could use mag and stam abilities together just because certain sets give combined SD and WD buffs! :/

This notion of hybrid builds or hybridizations didnt improve anything.

Skill scaling-CP-attributes 3 biggest hurdles.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that the reason they stopped adding classes was because they ran out of room for new animations.

This has got to be a joke. You are not living under a rock and using a gaming machine made out of clay, are you?
    How can a person play ESO and use an online forum to write out that sentence with a straight face?

@Charlotte_Loreley This is how.

Here is the video with Matt talking about the consoles an animations.

Go to 46:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wy8rYq5t9o

Edited by Tornaad on December 7, 2021 5:58AM
  • Dragonlord573
    Dragonlord573
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I love the mementos.
    If they removed momentos I'd like my money back I spent on crates to get them.