Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are quite a few non-casual games and pvp games in the world that are much more popular than eso.

What games and where is the data supporting this? And are these multiplayer or single player games?
    PCNA
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Yes. It would make more of a challenge. Something that used to ignorable now being able to one shot you is a change in difficulty. We already see it works in that game and I see nothing in this game about why it wouldn't work here. They devs would settle on which debuffs they'd want to work on it's strength but decreasing damage dealt and increasing damage received would obviously be part of it.

It's not as good at providing a challenge as an entire rework obviously, but it's vastly superior to doing nothing and leaving those old zones with no options.

ok, so it isn't just a debuff slider but more like we had it other TES games - where damage dealt and damage taken is both adjusted. This would be more of a challenge, I can very well see that.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are quite a few non-casual games and pvp games in the world that are much more popular than eso.

What games and where is the data supporting this? And are these multiplayer or single player games?

LOL and Counterstrike come to mind. Mostly the games focused primarily on PVP.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Yes. It would make more of a challenge. Something that used to ignorable now being able to one shot you is a change in difficulty. We already see it works in that game and I see nothing in this game about why it wouldn't work here. They devs would settle on which debuffs they'd want to work on it's strength but decreasing damage dealt and increasing damage received would obviously be part of it.

It's not as good at providing a challenge as an entire rework obviously, but it's vastly superior to doing nothing and leaving those old zones with no options.

ok, so it isn't just a debuff slider but more like we had it other TES games - where damage dealt and damage taken is both adjusted. This would be more of a challenge, I can very well see that.

I mean "debuff" is an extremely broad term in the first place. It includes a ton of things they could do.

"You take 10 hp damage per second in a snowy places, this damage increases every 30 seconds up to 100k damage per second. You can remove all cold damage stacks by going to inns and camp fires." Is a debuff.

"Increase damage taken by 800%" is also a debuff.

Those numbers are not meant to be examples of what should be done, just using them to illustrate how flexible the concept is.

A debuff slider merely allows developers to introduce stuff that can happen to your character in particular, at various levels of strength.

The LOTRO slider for example has some debuffs that are very weak and some really strong, mostly damage dealt and received. They also have some enemies respond to your slider and can launch special attacks only at you because you're heavily debuffed.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 29, 2022 6:07PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Apples and oranges. Very different genres from a roleplaying MMO.
    PCNA
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree but they are immediately what springs to mind.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean "debuff" is an extremely broad term in the first place. It includes a ton of things they could do.

"You take 10 hp damage per second in a snowy places, this damage increases every 30 seconds up to 100k damage per second. You can remove all cold damage stacks by going to inns and camp fires." Is a debuff.

Those numbers are not meant to be examples of what should be done, just using them to illustrate how flexible the concept is.

A debuff slider merely allows developers to introduce stuff that can happen to your character in particular, at various levels of strength.

The LOTRO slider for example has some debuffs that are very weak and some really strong. They also have some enemies respond to your slider and can launch special attacks only at you because you're heavily debuffed.

ok thanks for clarification - II assumed debuffs to be only effects which lower abilities, but are not effecting the abilities of enemies. You know, as the opposite to buffs, which increase own abilities without effecting the abilities of enemies. You want an actual difficulty slider like we had it in former TES games.

I personally like the idea of environmental effects (had so much fun with Skyrim winter edition and Frostfall hardcore) - like cold and heat effects dependent on the armor worn and such - but I know as well a lot of people, who are not fond at all having to deal with these kind of things in their game. I know, you didn't really suggest that for ESO, but I would actually like that, because it is again role play in an environment which has actual effects on the game play.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CP5 wrote: »
    CP5 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be about manually modifying 40 zones with the proper technique. Enemies are generated off templates, and even dlc zones only have a few dozen of those. Tweaking those templates is how you would modify the world on a whole. It would take time and effort, and expecting them to do everything at once would be a lot, but if they took their list and figured out which templates they would need to modify to influence specific zones they could more easily do something like "we updated Auridon, Glenumbra, and Stonefalls" or "for this elsweyr celebration we updated northern and sothern elsweyr." I don't care much for events since it's just item fodder, but doing something like that would re-inspire me to visit.

I am an software developer and architect involved in many marketing processes. That is another flag for difficulty and a damn config file. Besides that the only thing to implement is the generation of these zones out of templates that were created and modified long time ago already, the same stuff they generate the usual zones with. That stuff is not magic at all. Even the were do i come out, normal or vateteran?, is just reusage of things that have been implement already.

Exactly, and while the old silver and gold zones, (for those wondering, were essentially 2 additional difficulty flags) were simple and only modified mob level, going beyond that is something seen in every dungeon and trial. It just comes down to modifying (many) templates, and generating new instances off of them. You can do the self flag rule to enable mobs to do more against players with the flag, but that would require modifying those templates as well. But many seem to think making a vet zone would require creating a new npc at every location an npc spawns at and hand crafting what they can do each time.

Yeah, this is what I read from what some said - hand-crafted new mechanics - if that is not the case, fine then.

Not even really new mechanics. More like, enough stats to survive and be threatening, but mostly replacing skills that cause enemies to stall (leaping from the battle) and replace them with skills that have impact on the actual fight. Let them use more useful abilities more often, rather than just standing there, waiting, and doing things that are worthless.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The LOTRO slider for example has some debuffs that are very weak and some really strong. They also have some enemies respond to your slider and can launch special attacks only at you because you're heavily debuffed.

ok thanks for clarification - II assumed debuffs to be only effects which lower abilities, but are not effecting the abilities of enemies. You know, as the opposite to buffs, which increase own abilities without effecting the abilities of enemies. You want an actual difficulty slider like we had it in former TES games.

I personally like the idea of environmental effects (had so much fun with Skyrim winter edition and Frostfall hardcore) - like cold and heat effects dependent on the armor worn and such - but I know as well a lot of people, who are not fond at all having to deal with these kind of things in their game. I know, you didn't really suggest that for ESO, but I would actually like that, because it is again role play in an environment which has actual effects on the game play.

The damage you take is a combination of the damage number on the enemies attack, and your character's inherent resistances (I don't mean like spell resistance in his case,I'm not talking actual in-game mechs) to such attacks. A damage taken debuff lowers the character's ability to resist the attack, a buff to the boss increases the damage they deal. They can sometimes be used interchangeably because the end result can produce the same number and thus the same gameplay effect for the player.

For example let's look at a pretend example game. If the boss attack is 20k and your character is able to resist 10k, the damage dealt to you is 10k damage. They could buff the damage boss of the boss to 25k and you character would take 15k damage, or they could increase your damage taken and now you're only able to resist 5k, and your character would now take 15k damage from the same 20k attack. If your health was 15k HP, then this attack would go from a big attack that needed to be healed immediately to one you have to block or avoid because you will die instantly. A one shot is obviously a much harder gameplay threat than an attack that simply did a lot of damage.

Again, those are not numbers at all remotely tied to be realistic examples of this game's numbers. Just ones to illustrate the concept.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 29, 2022 6:42PM
  • Wysguy99
    Wysguy99
    ✭✭
    I would really like to see more assassin's brotherhood sanctuaries or actual thieves guild dens pop up, I really enjoyed those two stories, and it would be cool if you could do missions for of Tamriel's assassins and thieves guild groups. Or just expanded the previous stories from where they left off.

All though I don't know if this makes sense for an overland thread, I would also like to see more one-piece sets (separate from Mythics) or the ability to wear two Mythics at once because I find it hard to fill that other single slot sometimes.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gameplay should compliment the storytelling. If a boss is being built up to be feared by the masses, intimidates even the most stalwart warrior and the only thing standing between them and their goal is us… it really detracts from the overall experience when they die within seconds. It’s not engaging snd it breaks immersion. It’s the opposite of fun, it’s hard to look forward to questing in High Isle, as beautiful as the zone is, knowing that an important part of any questing experience “the gameplay” is very much an afterthought.
  • sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to base my response on my actual experience of doing the main quest-lines in each of the chapter zones and also side-quests - this is going to be heavily biased on my own experience and opinion but so are most of the posts in this thread so it seems to be the only way to contribute to this discussion as objectiveness appears to have disappeared almost entirely from these discussions.

In my experience, the "main" boss of a chapter story line (e.g. Vandacia for the Blackwood chapter) does not "die within seconds". I'm not saying they're difficult fights - indeed most story encounter mechanics tend be very simplified versions of "don't stand in the red zone", which to be fair is actually a good way to encourage players to avoid damage generally when they start to take on harder content in dungeons etc... However, although they're not difficult the nature of the encounters generally does take some number of minutes to complete (e.g. Vandacia is only vulnerable for small windows of time and then goes back to being invulnerable while you deal with adds). I guess an experienced player with really good gear could slice through these bosses faster - when I did the Blackwood chapter I was around 200 ish CPs and was in a healer build but could still do pretty decent dps but I imagine a full out dps build at this gear level would be able to burn the boss faster.

The challenge ZOS have, though, is to make these quests accessible for all players, not just those with lots of CPs and nice gear.

Outside of the main boss fights on chapter story lines I do agree that side-quest objectives tend to be very easy, however these are side-quests so I'm not sure why people are surprised at this. I've played WoW for years and it's exactly the same there. The quest designers dont want to risk people getting stuck because that risks breaking the story immersion far more than being able to whizz through the objectives and still be able to progress the story. Side-quests are also largely designed to be optional "filler" content - if you wanted to too you could just ignore these and go and level doing dungeon runs and to be honest you don't lose out a lot in terms of story telling. But the key point here is that the difference they offer is the story telling, they're generally not intended to be some kind of arbitrary skill check. At least thats how its always worked in MMOs I've ever played.

What I can say truthfully is that generally I've enjoyed the entirety of the story-telling quest experience in ESO, far more than I have in any other MMO I've played. Indeed I would go as far as saying ESOs quest design and content is far superior to most MMOs in this area and is one of the games strengths.
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want say this real quick: if the quests were anything more than me one shotting everyone, i would have been hyped out of my mind for the new chapter without caring about lack of new class or skill lines in it but with this kind of difficulty it's hard to take story seriously and it feels like i'm just reading a visual novel. We are forced to play on the "very easy" mode in this game.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sajackson wrote: »
    In my experience, the "main" boss of a chapter story line (e.g. Vandacia for the Blackwood chapter) does not "die within seconds". I'm not saying they're difficult fights - indeed most story encounter mechanics tend be very simplified versions of "don't stand in the red zone", which to be fair is actually a good way to encourage players to avoid damage generally when they start to take on harder content in dungeons etc... However, although they're not difficult the nature of the encounters generally does take some number of minutes to complete (e.g. Vandacia is only vulnerable for small windows of time and then goes back to being invulnerable while you deal with adds). I guess an experienced player with really good gear could slice through these bosses faster - when I did the Blackwood chapter I was around 200 ish CPs and was in a healer build but could still do pretty decent dps but I imagine a full out dps build at this gear level would be able to burn the boss faster.

I can give you another anecdote for this

When they gave us the crow boss for the Witches' Festival event, I went in and soloed it the first day (well, duo with Bastian). I play a tank so he's probably doing about the same DPS as I was, which is maybe somewhere around 10k. The fight took a bit, I started to get overwhelmed with adds until I figured out the mechanic, and then I cleared it.

I came back the next day with a couple friends who are both DPS powerhouses. That was when I saw a new mechanic that never happened for me - the invulnerability phases that forced the mechanics. I didn't see those when I soloed it since my DPS was too low so I was already playing the mechanic. But since my friends were just nuking it, they were getting stopped by forced mechanics.

So it seems that these invuln phases are a method that ZOS is using to try to slow down the high-level players to allow them to actually see some mechanics, and the players who aren't doing major deeps are not seeing that since they see the mechanics regardless. ZOS is trying to make the fights more interesting with mechanics already, they're just building it in to the new content.

I can also say, since I'm still relatively new (2.5 years) and am doing Cadwell's silver/gold and also the new storylines that I can notice a clear difference in difficulty from the basegame story bosses and the newest ones. Newer bosses are starting to get mechanics and these invuln phases as opposed to the ones we had in basegame. In Skyrim, we dealt with bosses like Sister Tharda, who went invuln until you killed her adds, or Lady Belain's portal mechanic.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crafted set "Overland Spirit"
    (2 items) Reduces health recovery to 0
    (3 items) Reduces armor to 0
    (4 items) Gain Major and Minor Vulnerability at all times
    (5 items) <something else>

First and second bonuses already achivable with vampire stage 4 and white armor lvl 1 (good ones are Torugs, Heartland, Twice Born or any jewelry + weapon). You get the point.
    Edited by mocap on January 30, 2022 7:15AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is still hard for me to comprehend how some players are unhappy because they have gotten stronger and aren't struggling any more. This is so contradictaory to what progression is.

I accept that some players feel that way, and even support some of the ideas presented in this thread, but I will never understand it.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 30, 2022 7:44AM
    PCNA
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is still hard for me to comprehend how some players are unhappy because they have gotten stronger and aren't struggling any more. This is so contradictaory to what progression is.

I accept that some players feel that way, and even support some of the ideas presented in this thread, but I will never understand it.

The idea for some is as you rise in power, the challenges you face rise with you. Sure, standard bandits shouldn't be an issue, but killing deadric princes, ancient vampire lords, things like that? That shouldn't be an encounter that leaves such a hollow impact, because I know as a player an oversized croc under wayrest is more threatening than they are, and knowing a world ending 'threat' is less of a danger than a random pest? Hard to say I feel invested in that.
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just want say this real quick: if the quests were anything more than me one shotting everyone, i would have been hyped out of my mind for the new chapter without caring about lack of new class or skill lines in it but with this kind of difficulty it's hard to take story seriously and it feels like i'm just reading a visual novel. We are forced to play on the "very easy" mode in this game.

If after 8 years of character progression and over 1K to 2k cp and best armor in the slot if you are still not two shotting mobs then i dont know what you are doing. MMORPG's is all about progression and getting stronger. Or they can go the way of WOW which made characters weaker as they progressed when Shadowlands was launched and everyone was unhappy that lead to many quit the game. Just google 'shadowlands character getting weaker as they level' and see results.
    Edited by mickeyx on January 30, 2022 8:26AM
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A world that poses no resistance is just scenery.
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mickeyx wrote: »

If after 8 years of character progression and over 1K to 2k cp and best armor in the slot if you are still not two shotting mobs then i dont know what you are doing. MMORPG's is all about progression and getting stronger. Or they can go the way of WOW which made characters weaker as they progressed when Shadowlands was launched and everyone was unhappy that lead to many quit the game. Just google 'shadowlands character getting weaker as they level' and see results.

Honestly i don't care what happend to WoW and why their players left, i just look at this game and i see 90% of the contents, thousands of hours of entertainment, are just a glorified visual novel. It's not my fault that i'm not still as clueless as 7 years ago, i did what i do in any game, trying to improve. The new zone, the story itself could have been the selling point of the next chapter for me, no class, no skill, no gameplay change? Who cares just give me the new story! but i can't pretend the enemies are threatening when they drop like flies. And before you say it, No getting naked and fighting unarmed solves nothing. How can i take the bad guy seriously when i need to get butt naked and drop my weapons to actually give him a little chance? I want to go all out and still feel like "oh boy, this guy is the real deal". This game punishes you for improving, the better you become the less contents you will enjoy. There are so many ideas here and any of them can make 90% of the contents enjoyable again for people like me.
  • sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    @Iron_Warrior just take your gear off, reset your CPs and then do the quests.
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iron_Warrior just take your gear off, reset your CPs and then do the quests.
    mickeyx wrote: »

And before you say it, No getting naked and fighting unarmed solves nothing. How can i take the bad guy seriously when i need to get butt naked and drop my weapons to actually give him a little chance? I want to go all out and still feel like "oh boy, this guy is the real deal".

• sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    This game punishes you for improving, the better you become the less contents you will enjoy.

Firstly, you may feel that way but don't assume everyone does. For me becoming increasingly powerful as my character gains gear and CPs feels completely natural and part of standard MMORPG design. I certainly don't feel "punished" in any way, for me it's most definitely a reward.

What you choose to do with your time and money is up to you, all I know is if I were experiencing such negativity while playing a game I'd probably just look for another game to play. I honestly don't think tinkering with the difficulty of content is going to resolve things for you if you genuinely feel this way.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the problems is that the damage range you guys do is vastly out of what the content is made for - like ShalidorsHeir 125k dps - that is just insane. Now imagine he would be put into a state which feels like he would be just doing 12.5k - an order of magnitude less damage - firstly he will feel rather crippled, secondly if he is in the same instance as we are or other non-crippled vets, he might make the same bad experience like we casuals - he might be fighting a boss enjoying it, and then another one comes in - bang bash dead - and the other is leaving - ruined experience for him - any solution to this has to be in a separate instance with basically forced debuffs, or you will make the same bad experience like we casuals make as soon as you come in and nuke everything..
    Edited by Lysette on January 30, 2022 10:31AM
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game punishes you for improving, the better you become the less contents you will enjoy.

Firstly, you may feel that way but don't assume everyone does. For me becoming increasingly powerful as my character gains gear and CPs feels completely natural and part of standard MMORPG design. I certainly don't feel "punished" in any way, for me it's most definitely a reward.

What you choose to do with your time and money is up to you, all I know is if I were experiencing such negativity while playing a game I'd probably just look for another game to play. I honestly don't think tinkering with the difficulty of content is going to resolve things for you if you genuinely feel this way.

At the end we always get to the "don't like it don't play it" argument. I just hope ZOS never takes this approach, many games have done it before and it backfired horribly. don't assume getting harder difficulty don't resolve the problems for me, i know myself better. This is an official feedback thread and we are dropping our ideas so i want to take my chances and push for the idea of a harder overland.
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Geshin and FF14, Dota and LoL. Even GTAV online.

For a role playing game, eso has too few role playing options.
    Edited by Parasaurolophus on January 30, 2022 11:56AM
    PC/EU
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to base my response on my actual experience of doing the main quest-lines in each of the chapter zones and also side-quests - this is going to be heavily biased on my own experience and opinion but so are most of the posts in this thread so it seems to be the only way to contribute to this discussion as objectiveness appears to have disappeared almost entirely from these discussions.

Manni-Marco, Kurog, Veya Relet, Svargrim. All of these bosses have no invulnerability mechanics. On other bosses, there are simply invulnerability mechanics that simply follow one another right away.
    PC/EU
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are people against an optional difficulty toggle on your character? How does this affect your easy-mode experience in any way, shape or form? Why are you so against us all playing the game the way we want? I'm fully convinced now that the same people, that have been commenting on this thread every day for the past few months opposing an optional vet mode, are just commenting for fun. Everyone including zos can see this, it's the same few people. If you ignore these posts, you can clearly see that the majority want an optional vet mode as long as it doesn't affect those that want to continue with 1-hit mob easy mode.
    | All classes | PC EU |
  • Araxyte
    Araxyte
    ✭✭✭✭

You can't comprehend why some players find 2-hitting overland mobs during a quest might get a bit boring? You don't need good gear to do this either. Not everyone has the same mind-set, this is why we need the option to play at a higher difficulty level, so that everyone can fully enjoy the game - I can't comprehend why someone wouldn't want everyone to have fun.
    | All classes | PC EU |
  • sajackson
    sajackson
    ✭✭✭
    Araxyte wrote: »
    Why are people against an optional difficulty toggle on your character? How does this affect your easy-mode experience in any way, shape or form? Why are you so against us all playing the game the way we want? I'm fully convinced now that the same people, that have been commenting on this thread every day for the past few months opposing an optional vet mode, are just commenting for fun. Everyone including zos can see this, it's the same few people. If you ignore these posts, you can clearly see that the majority want an optional vet mode as long as it doesn't affect those that want to continue with 1-hit mob easy mode.

If it can be done in a way that is optional and not forced on players then I don't have a problem.

My concern is that it may not be possible to do it in an opt-in fashion and it needs to be made clear to ZOS that not everyone supports making sweeping changes to story quests to increase their difficulty just because some CP1500+ players in BIS gear find the encounters trivial.