The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Free Deadlands DLC

• Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just don't hype up something as a mystery reward, when at the end a lot of the players have no use for it, because they allready have it included.
    Just put it in as a regular reward from the beginning and all is good.

Mystery rewards should reward everyone!
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I am going to say is that if I'm not subbing to ESO, then I'm not playing ESO.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or because of the economic impact of Covid, subs are down and they want to reach out to people who can't afford to sub and they want to be compassionate. And it was well-received when they did it with Murkmire.

I want your outlook on life.

It's far more likely due to lower players numbers (with FF popping off and New World released).

Free DLC increases player count which makes the shareholders happier.

As a sub, I don't care that it's free for people. This game is whatever at this point.
    Edited by Brrrofski on October 2, 2021 8:44AM
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hey thanks to everyone who participated to unlock this prize, we are now going to give access to it to all the folks who didn't participate."

Well obviously we'll reach 100% no matter the participation. You can't have a competition with hidden numbers and no winners, some judge somewhere might interprete that as fraud. And "nobody liked our expansion well enough to participate" is bad PR.

That said, one could also interprete it as "Hey, you tried Blackwood and found it so underwhelming that you unsubbed or want to unsub? That's okay. But before you move on: Try the Deadlands DLC for free. Maybe it will change your mind."
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just want to know what happened to the pony they promised us for watching today's cast.
    Straight from the email I received a couple days ago:
    "Get an exclusive look at the fiery conclusion to the year-long Gates of Oblivion saga! Plus, tune in for key announcements, upcoming in-game activities, and fun surprises! Watch on Twitch.tv/Bethesda at 4pm ET on 10/1 and earn a pet pony."
    I watched, but so far no usele... erm pet.

I claimed three things that popped up during the stream. About an hour later when I logged into the game, the pony was immediately added to my collection and I had two Oroborus crates to open. 🐎
  • Norgh
    Norgh
    ✭✭✭
    My wife and I as ESO+ subscribers really not happy about this.
    Xbox EU-UK Xbox Series X
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if someone has ESO+, you get to keep the DLC when you cancel your sub, which is still a bonus, no?
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Free dlc of choice would have been better then this.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    Even if someone has ESO+, you get to keep the DLC when you cancel your sub, which is still a bonus, no?

I am subbed and own every single DLC permanently. Getting one permanently for free is good.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have friends that don't sub and happy they will be able to jump into content.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 2, 2021 10:42AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »

I am subbed and own every single DLC permanently. Getting one permanently for free is good.

Exactly, that's my point, so even if you are subbed, when you stop, you will still have this in your collections, so it's a win-win for everyone.
  • Slimebrow
    Slimebrow
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this doesn't sound like I'm bashing but it is how I feel about the game. Honestly with the current state of the base game why would I ever waste my money on DLC content, why should I ever bother investing fully in this game when they don't bother addressing or improving the base game, even the DLC content seems lackluster at best being sold at triple A price in my eyes.

I'm glad they are giving content to players for free. I really don't care if you subbed or not at least you get access to ease of access tools like craft bags and you are given crowns I'm assuming for the sub...so you could essentially buy the DLC content with those crowns anyways??
  • winterscrolls229prerb18_ESO
    There's so many opinions you can have about subscription, subscribers, and the costs and benfits for both players and developers..

But i think it may have not been that hard... probably was sales of blackwood were so low that they calculated that new sales of blackwood to people who didn't have it would be more money that selling the dlc to existing blackwood owners - subs.

That's the only thing that would have prompted putting aside dlc money. Probably one of their top sellers.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the mystery reward for eso+ subscribers is they don’t have to do the achievement for the event on their alts anymore.

Let’s me off the hook in participating to the 100% goal anyway.

Edited by BlueRaven on October 2, 2021 10:18AM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. I do not understand the complains here. It is free stuff. I mean more like a free "bonus" stuff for those who own Blackwood. So if you have the chapter or you will get it at a discount - you also get free DLC.

Even in case of ESO+ it is technically something you also gain, since you will have permanent access to new DLC (ESO+ is more like a rental, once you dont have ESO+, you lose access to DLCs).

Now I guess it is a matter of preferences and what is more beneficial. You can still buy only Deadlands for like 2K crowns, and it is probably cheaper than buying Chapter with a discount + getting free DLC, but I guess you will be missing a lot of content, so probably the best bang for the buck is to buy Blackwood at discount & get free DLC too.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on October 2, 2021 10:24AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can have differing opinions of the validity of what they're doing... as to whether they should or not... but they're not taking away anything from me. I, as a subscriber, LOSE NOTHING, and some other people get something. Personally, I'm okay with that, same as I am in the real world when those less fortunate get something, even if I would have benefited from it prior (such as my student loans statement earlier).

On top of this, you are not getting 1 less piece of DLC with the sub. Subbing is for renting and is separate from ownership. If you want to own the dlc, you have to spend the same amount of crowns as everyone else. And with this prize, that crown amount is zero.

An ESO+ rental is not the same thing as ownership. A person may have no desire to own when they plan to never stop renting, but that doesn't change that they chose not to buy. The gift changes the buy price NOT the rental.

People are acting like the value of the DLC being given is subtracting from the rental side, and that's just untrue. You can access this with rental still whether or not you feel like owning it too. That has not changed. It's a subtraction from the buy side and has no impact on your ability to access the dlc regardless if you chose to swoop this up from the crown store at 0 dollars or not.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on October 2, 2021 10:30AM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wonder what the % is of long-subbing people vs daily active average. (or heck, vs "people who own Blackwood" - that'd be a good measure of 'recently active')

Not that they'd ever let that kind of statistic out.
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is a stupid reward. I'd bet 100 gold they did not consider eso+ subs while deciding on this. I bet it is a big ooops for them but now it is too late.

Can i undo the pathfinder achievement i did on one char somehow? I don't want to take part in this.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get a "permanent" access to DLC.

ESO+ is more like a "rental" since once (for whatever reason) you don't have ESO+, then you also don't have access to DLCs. But now, you will always have it. I think it is very nice. Free & bonus stuff is always something good.

We will also get other stuff that comes with final reward (Ogrim training dummy and a box of goodies).

Anyway, you lose nothing and even if you have ESO+ you get free stuff.

No.. it's all just a rental. It's an online server dependant game. In some years time it'll be obsolete, the servers will become a wasteland and it'll get turned off and all vanish. It's not like say Skyrim where you'll still be able to play it (and probably still buy the new 2037 enhanced mega special pack 3D immersive headset edition with 18000 integrated mods ;) )

ESO+ v buying the content is actually merely an accounting question of how long the game will last and how long you will play it. The authors will run out of places and storylines to set in a fixed spot in time to keep players caring, and even if they don't new games using newer technology, shifts in gaming styles, regulatory requirements like software liability laws and accessibility will eventually kill it.

For me with ESO+ the big surprise is a big 'meh' and I agree someone in marketing goofed on the ESO+ side. On the other hand it's a free 'meh' so no complaint. It's no different to the well meaning but useless christmas presents, except that I can't donate it to charity 8)
    Too many toons not enough time
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meh, like many other ESO+ subscribers have said, I am underwhelmed and also the day I stop subbing means I have moved on from ESO, so it doesn't matter one lick to me whether I permanently own any DLC because I always will while I am still playing. Getting the Crown equivalent of the value would've been nice, but let's be real here - this prize is meant to entice old players back or bring new players in and sell Blackwood - even at a lowered sale price - rather than reward loyal, monthly subscribers.

For my second account that has bare minimum and no ESO+, it'll be neat if/when we get it, I suppose. And clearly nonsubscribers are delighted, so that's cool.

But for my main account with ESO+, meh. At least now I don't feel beholden to grind Pathfinder on all my other toons. I can just focus on loot boxes instead. And grinding Collector on Red Dead for the new Outlaw Pass dropping on Tuesday. Because I really don't care if we hit 100% or not (sorry for the nonsubbers who want this). If it was a mansion or something similarly cool, then I'd run all my toons through and dust off my EU toon. But nah. So, I guess I kinda appreciate feeling zero FOMO for the event now. LOL
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pauwer wrote: »
    Can i undo the pathfinder achievement i did on one char somehow? I don't want to take part in this.

Short of deleting the toon - no.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but the amount of players who were ESO+ subscribers and still play after ending their subscription, is comparatively very small. If a subscriber ends their subscription the most likely scenario is that they have quit. If they come back, they are likely to resub. So getting the DLC for free is almost meaningless to the majority of ESO+ holders.
    Edited by Rkindaleft on October 2, 2021 1:54PM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.

Tic Tacs Tormentor | Immortal Beemer | Gryphon Fart | Codslayer | Yawnbringer | Drainsbreaker
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I've understood correctly (Skimmed through the messages), those who have already purchased Blackwood will get the Deadlands DLC as a gift, which is the famous hidden bonus many have been speculating/waiting for.

Well I never bought Blackwood.
    I suppose it's been an accumulation of poorly received content from my behalf, certain stale areas of the game, but hey that's just me. They had a lot of feedback on Blackwood on the forum and on other media platforms...it wasn't greatly appreciated from what I read and heard from guild mates (Won't go over reasons there are a multitude of posts on the forum)

I can understand that those with ESO+ but not Blackwood are disappointed in this news and I still think the sub needs to evolve into something more expansive and we should have less micro transactions on the side (Whimsical desire again)

Most of us here on the forum connect on a daily basis and we are subbed or have been subbed for a long period of time. We've given and will probably still give if something good pops up or desires are met for certain stale areas of the game as mentioned above. In retrospective; The year of performance had it's downs and ups, but what I'd like to see in a near future is a 'Year of community'. Some of us having been supporting the franchise for over 15 years now.

As a business school graduate, I still feel this is just marketing 101.

Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on October 2, 2021 2:39PM
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Exactly, that's my point, so even if you are subbed, when you stop, you will still have this in your collections, so it's a win-win for everyone.

All I am going to say is that if I'm not subbing to ESO, then I'm not playing ESO.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »

That's what I thought, but then I felt like playing less (but not quitting) so subbing was not an option any more. So I ended up playing without subbing - and it goes surprisingly well. Sure the absence of the crafting bag is painfully noticeable, but with a bit of organization, it's far more manageable than I thought it would be.
    So I belong to the non-subbers (but still buying chapters) who are very happy with getting the last story-DLC for free.

I am always amazed at how (some) people seem to never be happy with anything - even with free stuff.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on October 2, 2021 3:26PM
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, the DLC discussion...

And imagine that all of this DLC stuff in game industry started, because of "horse armour" in TES4 Oblivion... XD
  • Mix
    Mix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

And imagine that all of this DLC stuff in game industry started, because of "horse armour" in TES4 Oblivion... XD

Could you imagine if they announced Deadlands for all and *drum roll* mount decor for ESO+ subs? It would be something subtle that would fit on any saddle due to the variety of mount designs, maybe a mini-ouroboros crate. ESO version of fuzzy dice for your 'ride'.

At least that mental picture got me laughing this morning :smiley:
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

The 5 dollar horse armour which I bought on Xbox back in the day. Just goes to show ;)
  • Hvíthákarl
    Hvíthákarl
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until ESO+ subscribers have to drop the sub due to unexpected bills or something like that and then we'll be talking. No one is "betraying" you lol, once you drop ESO+ you lose access to all of the DLCs you don't own so you basically get the chance of accessing Deadlands even if you have to unsubscribe for other reasons

If that's no enough, there are also a lot of rewards other than the DLC that people have conveniently forgotten. I wish more b2p MMORPGs gave as much free stuff as ESO does lol
    Edited by Hvíthákarl on October 2, 2021 3:52PM
  • kmcaj
    kmcaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free dlc is for everyone except for those without Blackwood. Really a great reward for a change.
    Edited by kmcaj on October 2, 2021 3:52PM