The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Weighted RNG in U32

colossalvoids
colossalvoids
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So the last nail into RNG complaints with this one, drops would be adjusted according to what you already collected so no more 10 resto staves in a row for some of ya. Just making sure people are informed about something good nowadays.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tumblr_m1rkzpHj1n1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best change that they've announced.
  • Fariahni
    Fariahni
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the code is smart enough to still give you loot if you've collected everything.

It'd be a real shame if the game checks, sees you have no missing pieces, and just drops nothing.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's very good change, now it will be possibile to actually collect everything. Hehe, there will be new behaviour in dungeons - after every boss players will stop, go to inventory and bind new item just to avoid double in next boss :D
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Best change that they've announced.

Agreed.. I am actually excited to go revisit some dungeons, arenas, and trials I actually dread/despise going to these days due to their awful awful rng.
    love is love
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fariahni wrote: »
    I hope the code is smart enough to still give you loot if you've collected everything.

It'd be a real shame if the game checks, sees you have no missing pieces, and just drops nothing.

They addressed this on the stream and said that, in this instance, your loot would default back to current, non-weighted RNG.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks, @colossalvoids for giving updates for everyone! Much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback once PTS starts next week.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This change sounds absolutely amazing. It adds that light at the end of the tunnel and means you will get everything you're looking for eventually. I'm very much looking forward to this addition.

There are a few things to keep in mind. There will be far fewer weapons shared among the group since everyone will be pulling something they need for their own stickerbook. There won't be any weapon extras until you're done farming. Of course, it also guarantees that you will get a weapon you need from that end boss for each run. I'll take that tradeoff.

I have a few dungeons that have stickerbooks with only a few items missing. It will be nice to clean them up quickly once this hits as well as making the 6 non arena sets in Maelstrom a lot easier to acquire.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they mention whether or not Cyrodiil town quest reward coffers will get weighted RNG?
  • protofeckless
    protofeckless
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, Only seeing these updates because the game fell over dead again.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they mention whether or not Cyrodiil town quest reward coffers will get weighted RNG?

I believe they said coffers would not benefit from the new weighted RNG system
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They won't, also treasure chests, simple mob drops and some other specific things won't. It's mostly for dungeon, arena, trials main loot I guess.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, and now I'm not farming anything until update 32. Once it hits though, I'm farming everything.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, and now I'm not farming anything until update 32. Once it hits though, I'm farming everything.

I agree. I feel a bit better now since I didn't farm vMA too much during the event. I'll take weighted drops over double drops all day long.
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's the right direction, many thanks for this change ZoS <3
  • Fariahni
    Fariahni
    ✭✭✭

They addressed this on the stream and said that, in this instance, your loot would default back to current, non-weighted RNG.

That's great to hear! Looking forward to a revamped system.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They did say that once you have everything it revert to what we currently have
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is an excellent change, been asking for this exact change.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They won't, also treasure chests, simple mob drops and some other specific things won't. It's mostly for dungeon, arena, trials main loot I guess.

Basically, only BOP boss drops are affected. All tradable loot is not affected.

But yes, looking forward to collect all the stuff I don't really need.
    Edited by EF321 on September 17, 2021 9:50PM
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I feel a bit better now since I didn't farm vMA too much during the event. I'll take weighted drops over double drops all day long.

I did, lmao.

But I still have thing I need out of there, so this makes me feel better about going back in. A few couple more runs and I'll never, ever have to go back.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As my luck would have it this hits after farming maelstrom so many times I accidentally got a flawless run. I am very excited for this though because set RNG has been my BIGGEST issue with this game. It's been downright miserable to pull friends through dungeons to farm one piece and in turn have to help those same people when they need something. I love playing with friend by my goodness we need variety and not Arx for the 80th time!
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • Atrael7
    Atrael7
    ✭✭✭
    My favorite feature of this reveal, it's the cherry on top of the sticker book. :)
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'll have you know some of us NEEDED 10 Medusa greatswords.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a really thoughtful change and made me feel they really do care. <3
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, I actually do see a problem with this now... I farm purple jewelry (or gold in trials) rather than reconstruct lower quality and upgrade. Normally jewelry has like 50% chance to drop (or something high at least, not 1 in 14). So it is easy to get full set of jewelry quick. With this system, to get that second ring, you will havebto collect everything first. And if you first done on normal and got blue neck, even worse.
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good change but I have to wonder if ZOS realizes how this is going to impact stuff like Dungeon Finder for example. If I already have the Monster Helm in all 3 weights there is no reason for me to run the dungeon on Vet unless you really want that purple jewelry, and if I have all the 3 sets 100% completed for that specific dungeon then there is no reason to run it at all unless I'm missing achievements, leads or it's pledge day.

I think that eventually as more and more players 100% complete their sets that this is going to have a negative effect on queue times, specially when you are queuing for stuff that is DLC or not the daily pledge(not like it doesn't already happens, but it's just going to be more notorious as more players complete their sets)

Also, it would be nice if they implement this system for the Horned Dragon and Fanged Worm styles from BG.
    Edited by Alaztor91 on September 17, 2021 10:56PM
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depending on how this turns out I might forgive the developers for the loathsome vMA travesty.

Either way I hope that it translates well from words to actions and no player will have to ever do hundreds of joyless dungeon runs because their prog groups says that is 'ice staff du jour or highway' ever again.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on September 17, 2021 11:06PM
  • Soul_Soliloquy
    Awesome change, lots of peeps gonna be happy, thank you ZOS <3
    GM Waking Dreams | PC NA
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious though.

They said overland chests won't be Weighted. But what about Dungeon/Trial Chests? Or Arena Chests from killing a boss? What about Coffers as rewards for clearing a quest/Trial?
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    So the last nail into RNG complaints with this one, drops would be adjusted according to what you already collected so no more 10 resto staves in a row for some of ya. Just making sure people are informed about something good nowadays.

As someone who's relying on your helpful forum posts after the fact, can someone clarify "Weighted" RNG? When I first read it I assumed it meant there was still a chance, albeit a lesser one, of pulling an item you already have, while RNG was weighted toward pulling something you don't yet have.

But the comments here make it look like "Weighted" = only pulling what you don't already have, which is both generous and extremely weighted, if you follow my thinking.
    PC NA