The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

TAUNT BUGGED

TC_Lee13
TC_Lee13
✭✭✭
Huge bug with taunt - you taunt an enemy and then they walk off and just start killing your group while under taunt.
This is something a lot of people are complaining about and blaming their Tanks but it's the game which is at fault once again.

Last patch we had the block bug, now a taunt bug, and I imagine another 3 week wait for a fix with console waiting even longer. This is absolutely ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVBuazkjAw
Edited by TC_Lee13 on August 26, 2021 9:03AM
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does this occur regularly in instances other than the one in the video? Because my raid progression group ran vKA HM after both the patch and the hotfix and outside of Inner Fire still not working properly, there were no issues involving taunt from any other sources.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Mumbles_the_Tank
    Mumbles_the_Tank
    ✭✭✭
    Does this occur regularly in instances other than the one in the video?

Aside from also experiencing this in Dread Cellar, I watched adds in both Sanctum and MoL exhibit the exact same behaviour. Untaunted says you have taunt but some things just start clapping other people anyway.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems instance related. From doing both new dungeons to 100% completion and doing Rockgrove raids after patch, I've had no issues with taunt, at least none that I've noticed and none that I've seen from logs. But for reference, this isn't just taunt. It's all buffs/debuffs which are affected by this, and "Taunt" (new ID 38254) is just another debuff.

Things like
    • PA is dropping off before intended (on all targets at once, despite the timing offset in getting the buff on 12 people; seems like a tick related thing)
    • Minor Slayer drops off from three-piece sets and needs to be re-equipped (mostly seen after death)
    • Major Slayer from ROJo can drop off way sooner than its intended time (same thing with MA/WM)
    • DK's Stagger doesn't always run its full duration and sometimes doesn't go to three stacks despite spamming it
    • EC's Weaknesses don't always run their full duration
    • Food buffs don't always work or run their full duration
    • People are losing their racial and class passives
    • Light armour Evocation passive (among others) stops working

Taunt is obviously one of the more important things and most notable because... stuff in newer content one-shots non-tanks (and can one-shot a tank if not careful; which is also a bizarre design choice, but that's a different topic) and having a tank lose taunt means goodbye no-death/triple/etc. and also looks bad for the tank.

There was a similar bug to this a while back on a previous PTS where people were dropping their buffs randomly and could be seen most vividly with food buffs.

Edited by Troodon80 on August 26, 2021 2:13PM
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had it happen with North Elsweyr dragons but not their spawns like bone giants. No other tanks, no overtaunting and the dragons would turn right around to attack other people, walk if they fixated on someone fighting from a larger distance. I know that dragons do try to attack everyone but normally they use their wings and tails, while they focus the tank for chomping. I thought that maybe it was related to companions again because I did see a Bastian or two that were geared for tanking. But if this apparently happens in instanced content without companions, I'm not so sure anymore.

The built-in ability bar timers are also broken. The taunt debuff is visible on enemies for its full duration but the timer on Puncture disappears almost instantly, I think it happens the moment enemies pick some other player to attack.
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    K9002 wrote: »
    I had it happen with North Elsweyr dragons but not their spawns like bone giants. No other tanks, no overtaunting and the dragons would turn right around to attack other people, walk if they fixated on someone fighting from a larger distance. I know that dragons do try to attack everyone but normally they use their wings and tails, while they focus the tank for chomping.
    Just for reference and clarity, the dragons often have periods of taunt immunity (usually after landing) even if there is no other tank present. It's inconsistent but it does happen and has happend since release. Is there any additional details you can post for what you saw? e.g. did the dragon just land, if not then what skills were you using?

I've seen some people suggest that DK chains are overriding a "hard taunt" with a "soft taunt" since the timings are different and when the latter runs out so does the former, but I've seen nothing to suggest this from the testing in Asylum Sanctorium that I've done (it's my go to boss/trial because you can easily get there with no mobs inbetween).
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip] Don’t let this hit console and get it fixed on PC, what’s with all the core mechanics being so broken every patch?

[edited for thread bumping]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 27, 2021 11:28AM
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experienced this A LOT in VAS last night.
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Just for reference and clarity, the dragons often have periods of taunt immunity (usually after landing) even if there is no other tank present. It's inconsistent but it does happen and has happend since release. Is there any additional details you can post for what you saw? e.g. did the dragon just land, if not then what skills were you using?.

In the past I've done a lot more southern than northern dragons and those do seem less erratic. Normally I'm using only Pierce Armor and no CC skills such as leash/chains on boss-sized enemies. Some of the sudden taunt breaks happened around 20 seconds after the dragon landed or later. I don't just stand and block either, for dragons I'm using only one tank set (Battalion Defender, no fancy proc-taunts) and dishing out around 25k DPS.

I'll have to pay more attention to other buffs and debuffs from now on. So far this week I was under the impression that Degeneration doesn't always run its full course.
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been getting this bug as well. At first thought it was the other group member having a frost staff or something.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    I run Vet DLC Dungeons in my guild, last night we did Red Petal and Dreaded Cellar. I lost taunt several times during the run and my group had to wipe and restart certain bosses so yeah 'there is a taunt bug".
  • scelesticscylla
    My raid in VRG experienced taunt issues as well last night. Where after taunted, they wouldnt immediately be actually taunted and wreck half the dps and healers before the taunt would register/could be taunted again. So we had loose adds and flesh atronachs during the Bahsei fight that just were not successfully being taunted and instead they ran loose with the taunt on them.
    @CAS1NOVA
    Main heals /tank

GUILDS
    Divine Crusade
    Real Guild Best Guild
    The Kind Kwamas
    Hard Dungeoneers
    The Four Musketeers
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got this a lot in vSS (PC EU) this evening. Brilliant fun when an unexpectedly dropped taunt means a flame grilled group almost immediately.
  • ZaiZah
    ZaiZah
    ✭✭✭
    Can confirm this happening as Altyrann said above. Being flame grilled or smacked by an iron servant in VSS when taunts unexpectedly dropping really does add to the challenge, also happened with the dragons bite where I had to quickly roll too because taunt dropped suddenly.
    Player since Beta (Tenth Anniversary Badge!)
    PC - EU (2316cp)
    Arcthulhu - Stam Arcanist - DD
    Zaizah - Mag DK - DD
    Hermora the Explorer - Arcanist - Healer
    Step Vrol Im Stuck - DK - Tank
  • xpolilla
    xpolilla
    ✭✭✭
    This is really bad. Even if it's instance-related. As a budding tank, it is easy to think it's my fault, but if others are having the same issues, it means the whole group is in danger of wipes. From there to be blaming the tank for losing aggro is a very easy step.
    Overall, this means that group combat is broken and a major part of the game cannot be played as intended. Please, @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_SarahHecker, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_Kevin... can anyone confirm this is something you are aware of?

I am having the issues in PC/NA.
  • sa7nt
    sa7nt
    Soul Shriven
    My groups have been having this issue as well (PC/NA) Enemies will randomly lose taunt, turn and destroy teammates. In higher level content this is pretty game-breaking.
  • NagyPako
    NagyPako
    ✭✭
    Greetings fellow tanks!

I came to bring some knowledge regarding the taunt bug and I'd kindly like to summon @ZOS_RichLambert or @ZOS_Finn to this discussion, perhaps they have a better insight into how the ability works or why it might exhibit such behaviours.
    Anyways so as it stands now there are 2 taunt bugs and they are not the same okay.
    1. you have the taunt bug where your projectile does not hit the target or fails to apply the debuff to the enemy. This is exclusively an inner rage+- morphs or frost clench related bug and seems to be a projectile issue mainly. I have a small collection of recorded clips where this is happening and I was also experimenting with it a littlebit. Many of my teammates suggested that it might be an issue because I am not targeting the target long enough but the second clip in the video completely blows that idea away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRLre5Xu8bk
    A small note here, there are certain enemies in the game that have phases. A phase change makes you lose your taunt on the target. A good example of this is the Vykosa boss fight in Moon hunter keep. The dogs/wolves sitting next to Vykosa Ary and Zel usually sit and their sitting state is basically phase1. When you initiate combat with them and say you taunted Zel, Zel changes to phase2 (stands up) and therefore you lose taunt on him. This however is not the same as the taunt bugs described above and below because the commonly used addon -> untaunted will show you that you taunted something however will immediately remove the timer and it appears as someone else taunted the target. It is an enemy phase change.
    2. The second taunt bug is in relationship with any taunting ability+ the soft taunt by the dragonknight Unrelenting grip ability.
    This is exactly what you can see in TC_Lee's video and just for good measure allow me to drop a few more videos or sources here with some explanation.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcof9ug4UcE
    So the explanation. A few months ago me and my good friend @hyperioxes were looking into ability effects with addons and I discovered that the Dragonknight Unreleting grip ability has a hidden soft taunt. It wasnt a huge news to us that the chains could be used as a soft taunt because we used to use it, however we didnt know that it does actually have an effect added to it that even by the game is named Firey reach taunt ID: 31290 and its a 4s long soft taunt.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/765936883146424320/815885322150740000/unknown.png

IMPORTANT NOTES: the Firey reach taunt did not create any issues with regular taunt up until the release of The waking flames DLC. So this is a new thing it did not use to be an issue!

We also encountered this issue where for example on Oaxiltso Hyper did not have range taunt to initiate the boss fight, only melee taunt, but did have chains and he used to chain soft taunt the boss at the start of the engagement and then melee taunt it.
    The following image is a small part of our logs of the oaxiltso fight where you can see on the top the taunt debuff applied to the enemy with a timeline and below that the ability casts of the boss to targets. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/603675726847279107/880097057547878470/unknown.png
    As you can see for 4 second the boss is attacking the tank -> Zalduk Nightsky and then at roughly 4 seconds turns around and kills Macarlas a dps player. 4 seconds later because the soft taunt of Unreleting grip expired at that time.

There is one more video that I'd like to drop here and for that one I have absolutely no idea how or why it happened. It was on the very last day of Blackwood, so NOT in the Waking flames dlc update.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR5izFKCwOI

EDIT Just to confirm the second taunt bug I tested it this morning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsjL2yV7vRI
    The first taunt bug is much more difficult to replicate it however and or doesnt always occur.

That is all I know regarding this subject I do really hope it is helpful and that both issues can be resolved as soon as possible.
    If you have any questions you can find me on PC EU @NagyPako or on discord @Vaffel#0023.

Edited by NagyPako on August 27, 2021 9:49AM
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happened to me a lot when I farmed vWGT on my tank toon - bossess (especially those 3 imperial guards after scroll scene) randomly ignored my taunt and slapped group members. Both ranged and meele taunt are affected.
    Edited by perfiction on August 27, 2021 10:48AM
  • Tar000un
    Tar000un
    ✭✭
    Apparently, it's more about the buff/debuff reseting than taunt himself.
    By the way, I was tanking TDC, and when I went mist form, first boss was always losing agro.
  • NagyPako
    NagyPako
    ✭✭
    Tar000un wrote: »
    Apparently, it's more about the buff/debuff reseting than taunt himself.
    By the way, I was tanking TDC, and when I went mist form, first boss was always losing agro.

That however is intended and Finn himself said and confirmed it. You can read it here.
  • Tar000un
    Tar000un
    ✭✭
    Oh, thanks.
  • Exquisition
    Exquisition
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get taunt on my DK either.
    The boss keeps running away while my Untaunted addon is saying I have taunt.
    And the Taunt Timer on my Bandits UI doesn't even show that I got any taunt.
    - - GM of Guiild For The Soloiist - -
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pako, in his post, is referring to an effect called "Fiery Reach taunt", which has the ability ID 31290. It's applied by pull abilities (DK's chains or Fighters Guild leash) and is what most players refer to as a "soft taunt".

Specifically, "Fiery Reach taunt"...
    • ...lasts only 2000ms
    • ...can only be applied to untaunted targets
    • ...cannot override a "real" taunt and does not increase the Taunt Counter effect (which governs the application of Taunt Immunity)

As noted his post, this "soft taunt" is not a new effect; people have been talking about "soft taunts" since I started playing the game, and I've seen this effect since 2017, and it's worked fine up to this point. I think that the under-the-hood taunt rework this patch has introduced a problem with the handling of this "soft taunt" effect.
    Edited by code65536 on August 27, 2021 9:31PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • turtledump
    turtledump
    Soul Shriven
    I feel like this bug should warrant some form of acknowledgement or response. This bug is detrimental to any trial that features a tank swap mechanic, let alone trials like vSS where losing taunt at the wrong moment would send a giant cone of dragon breath onto the group and result in a wipe.

Can we at least get an acknowledgement of this bug if we can't any more information on a future fix?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    turtledump wrote: »
    I feel like this bug should warrant some form of acknowledgement or response. This bug is detrimental to any trial that features a tank swap mechanic, let alone trials like vSS where losing taunt at the wrong moment would send a giant cone of dragon breath onto the group and result in a wipe.

Can we at least get an acknowledgement of this bug if we can't any more information on a future fix?

I maintanked a vSS HM GS prog today, and we encountered zero issues with taunt. Just don't chain the bosses.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Ei8htba11
    Ei8htba11
    ✭✭✭✭
    vDoM last nigh, PC EU, NB tank (yes, they are occasionally a thing ;) ):

Inner Rage: Unreliable. Gets attention (mob faces you), then target decides to run off where ever it feels like.

Silver Leash: Gets attention, and if cannot be pulled, melee targets at range DID on most occasions come to find me even if in combat with another player. Odd, wasn't aware this was it's function (it's a pull, and only a soft taunt at best).

Pierce Armour: Guaranteed taunt. Worked every time.

Pulls were messy as I sometimes had to run out of position to collect misbehaving mobs. I wouldn't say the experience was miserable, but certainly made it challenging.
  • madrab73
    madrab73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this going to be fixed for console release [snip]?

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 30, 2021 3:06PM
  • Aurahna
    Aurahna
    Soul Shriven
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurahna wrote: »
    Taunt bug in Committee in vHoF with Reclaimer. Taunted, and hitting everyone except MT.
    It should be pointed out... the Reclaimer can't be taunted, or at least not like other things; as in, it may attack you once but you won't be able to hold aggro. It has always ignored taunt. That's why it should be the last to get empowered (and if done right you won't even see it) due to light attack one-shots.
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
  • MrZeDark
    MrZeDark
    ✭✭✭
    Troodon80 wrote: »
    Aurahna wrote: »
    Taunt bug in Committee in vHoF with Reclaimer. Taunted, and hitting everyone except MT.
    It should be pointed out... the Reclaimer can't be taunted, or at least not like other things; as in, it may attack you once but you won't be able to hold aggro. It has always ignored taunt. That's why it should be the last to get empowered (and if done right you won't even see it) due to light attack one-shots.

This; as a MT/OT in the history of the game, is 100% accurate.

The reclaimer does not specifically attack the one who taunted it, it's attacks are chaotic in direction and it may turn to use abilities or LA on other characters. Hence why since Code's Combat has been in place, you will get RD/Block call outs when fighting the reclaimer - It's not that Taunt is bad, it's that it's attacks can target whomever that is in range of its abilities.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrZeDark wrote: »
    Hence why since Code's Combat has been in place, you will get RD/Block call outs when fighting the reclaimer

There's no alert for the Reclaimer's light attack, because it's a light attack and happens too quickly for anyone to be able to reasonably react to it. Just need to hope that the Reclaimer doesn't get too highly empowered.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas: