The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Hrothgar’s Chill is a Balanced Set

• maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    taugrim wrote: »
    Notably, it doesn't scale based on the attacker's stats

The damage scales with spell penetration.

Is this true? If I have a lots of penetration from a Sharpened Maul, for example, does Hrothgar hit the enemy harder? Or does my penetration take away from his total armor, thus making Hrothgar hit for less?
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Your inbuild penetration should only increase damage if you decrease enemy armor on them then you should hit less.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Against a lower armored target, light armor user or medium armor user, in a 1v1, it's going to add a small amount of burst damage, if they aren't wearing a resistance based defensive set. It will be useful, but more of a coin flip for running it or running a second set to boost the damage of all other skills.

Against heavy armor users and those running resistance boosting defensive sets, it's going to be quite good. But it will definitely work far better against multiple opponents than it will in 1v1 situations.

Looking forward to trying it out, and I have a few build ideas in mind, but I doubt it is really going to be too much of a problem. I think the plaque set is going to be far worse.

Actually, is this even true?

Let's say I have 20k amor when I'm fully buffed. That's not even amor sets level of armor, that's just basic amount PvP players run.

That's 40k if you count physical and magical armor totals.

26% of that is 10400 burst damage. Hell, 10400/7 = ~1500 DPS that doesn't scale with your stats, meaning we can now do 35k HP bruiser parties again, boyz.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thing about this sets is that it hits you harder the more armor you have, but it also hits you harder the less armor you have - as you don't mitigate all that damage...

As such, for some reason I've been hit by 20-something-k Horhgar while being on 7 medium pieces with no resolve or anything, I have only ~13.5k resistances at all times. I was cast on me, I was alone there. Either that, or range is the size of tamriel.

Like with all the other sets that are designed to deal with one very specific issue, set is as good or even better for pretty much anything else.
    Edited by EF321 on August 26, 2021 11:26AM
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the new sets are just bugged all over the place. I am going to let them fix the bugs before I decide whether they are op or not. Of course the set that was designed to damage tanks is bugged. Now its going to get nerfed because of the bug and it will be unused after the nerf.

Zos make a set like mechanical acuity that gives you 5 seconds of unresistible/oblivion damage, so we can burst down tanks. Maybe 5 seconds where even 75% of your damage becomes oblivion, whatever works. I and I am pretty sure many others want a set just for killing tanks. Stop playing around with these overly complex proc sets that you clearly cant implement without bugs.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    divnyi wrote: »
    Against a lower armored target, light armor user or medium armor user, in a 1v1, it's going to add a small amount of burst damage, if they aren't wearing a resistance based defensive set. It will be useful, but more of a coin flip for running it or running a second set to boost the damage of all other skills.

Against heavy armor users and those running resistance boosting defensive sets, it's going to be quite good. But it will definitely work far better against multiple opponents than it will in 1v1 situations.

Looking forward to trying it out, and I have a few build ideas in mind, but I doubt it is really going to be too much of a problem. I think the plaque set is going to be far worse.

Let's say I have 20k amor when I'm fully buffed. That's not even amor sets level of armor, that's just basic amount PvP players run.

26% of that is 10400 burst damage. Hell, 10400/7 = ~1500 DPS that doesn't scale with your stats, meaning we can now do 35k HP bruiser parties again, boyz.

10K, but then you have to account for battle spirit, the actual mitigation that the 40K armor will do against the proc, and any % based mitigation the target may have.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Nightblade standing next to DK will take 8k+ damage.

DTtx4VK.png

Nightblade by themself.

G9fG1lP.png

Edited by SkaraMinoc on August 26, 2021 4:35PM
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Most damage I've been able to do is 9.7k. Not sure how players are getting 12-19k hits.
    PC NA
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    divnyi wrote: »

10K, but then you have to account for battle spirit, the actual mitigation that the 40K armor will do against the proc, and any % based mitigation the target may have.

You don't get it. Best old proc sets were doing same burst and almost the same DPS (I'm talking about theoretical DPS here, btw, because set is not broken and doing more than it should).
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it actually kill tanks? If so then its not op and if it doesn't it needs a buff. Game has been needing a proper tank buster for a long time now. A set that we can just slap on when someone is tanking 5 people at once and not dying. Passive defense should not be harder to counter then skill based/active defense like rolling, cloaking, blocking, shielding, etc. Wish tanks would stay in pve where they belong.

I will say that the set shouldn't have an aoe component. Shouldn't be punishing the squishy team mates of a tank for the tanks decision to stack armor. Really boggles the mind. Should be VERY effective against real tanks and better then other proc sets against people that try to blur the line between tank and dps. Should be good enough to scare people away from staking passive defenses, but not so good that it wrecks normal players too.

Speaking as a tank that lies dead more often than not in PvP, I disagree completely. :-P
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The set is going to be a premere meta set, even if it gets fixed (more on the bug later).

While working as intended...

The set adds a reliable 4k AOE burst to your stuns, with a low CD that matches the natural stun immunity window.

This is a very user-friendly set, since it automatically applies the burst the moment your opponent is actually stunned, and not when the stun is attempted.

Even if it hits for 3k, it would be a decent set. If it hits for 4k+ then you can consider this a top tier set.

• Lapin_Logic
    Lapin_Logic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Totally Balanced, Clip of it in action. - High APM high skill player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-TGxrUQjkk
    Edited by Lapin_Logic on August 27, 2021 12:45AM
  • hexnotic
    hexnotic
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    has anyone seen a hrothgar proc hit less than 10k on a death recap? it’s sooo easy to use, especially on a sorc with streak… seems way too easy for something that hits so hard!
    Edited by hexnotic on August 27, 2021 2:06AM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    hexnotic wrote: »
    has anyone seen a hrothgar proc hit less than 10k on a death recap? it’s sooo easy to use, especially on a sorc with streak… seems way too easy for something that hits so hard!

Most of the time it only hits for 3-4k. It's very rare that it will hit for 10k.
    PC NA
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Most damage I've been able to do is 9.7k. Not sure how players are getting 12-19k hits.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/584449/okay-why-did-zos-think-it-was-a-good-idea-to-introduce-these-sets-for-pvp/p2
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    No, but it is still more balanced than Dark Convergence...

You have to spec into spell/weapon damage to buff dark convergence, and even then, it peocs after 2 secs with 16 secs CD. Hrothgar chill is lieraly a chill set, you only need to CC a target from any range and dpending on how buffy that target, it will do damage, so you can be a healer or a tank that deals more damage than a damage build.

I better way to fight tank meta is to enterduce a penaly mechanic for blocking more that x secs like reduced healing or increased block cost that reset after leaving block for x time. Like streak penalty, this new block penaly will ramp up the more you block to point where you do 0 healing, blocking cost 5k+, or being snared/immobalized.
    Edited by universal_wrath on August 27, 2021 3:17AM
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it only hits me for 4k. There are zergs using it, and because I withstand damage they think I am a tank.

I was able to get my revenge on those players because they attempted to crutch too hard on the set. It won't kill everyone that appears "tanky" because there are different reasons for a player not dying other than stacking resists.

I don't think it's overpowered any more or less than someone with stacked resistances doing a lot of damage.
  • neferpitou73
    neferpitou73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    No, but it is still more balanced than Dark Convergence...

You have to spec into spell/weapon damage to buff dark convergence, and even then, it peocs after 2 secs with 16 secs CD. Hrothgar chill is lieraly a chill set, you only need to CC a target from any range and dpending on how buffy that target, it will do damage, so you can be a healer or a tank that deals more damage than a damage build.

I better way to fight tank meta is to enterduce a penaly mechanic for blocking more that x secs like reduced healing or increased block cost that reset after leaving block for x time. Like streak penalty, this new block penaly will ramp up the more you block to point where you do 0 healing, blocking cost 5k+, or being snared/immobalized.

A better way to fight tank meta is to ensure tanky builds can't do damage. I could care less if someone can't die so long as they can't 2 shot people at the same time
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    Notably, it doesn't scale based on the attacker's stats

The damage scales with spell penetration.

Is this true? If I have a lots of penetration from a Sharpened Maul, for example, does Hrothgar hit the enemy harder? Or does my penetration take away from his total armor, thus making Hrothgar hit for less?

@maxjapank my expectation is that it is the former.

Ie: it calculates its pre-mitigation damage based off the enemy resistance value and then that damage is mitigated by (resistance - penetration), as well as any other percentage mitigations.

So increasing pen should increase the damage it deals as it doesn’t change the pre-mitigation calculated value but will reduce the amount it gets mitigated by resistance. Or just use 2h ult or corrosive to get maximum value.

Note breach would work differently as this would actually affect the calculation of the pre-mitigation damage.
  • Emperor_ManBearPig
    No, not balanced
    No it’s not. The calculations are totally bugged and no one can provide a reason why the proc calculations are hitting so hard. The set allows you to build tanky with high health and still hit like a truck. I think this set is worse than proc sets 1.0 because Malacath+tank sets and a proc set didn’t hit this hard as hrothgar procs.
  • Emperor_ManBearPig
    No, not balanced
    image0-15-2.png?width=949&height=676

Current state of cheese mode PVP with Hrothgar's Chill set.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Ralamil wrote: »
    [snip]

Imbalanced proc sets are the problem.

Not proc sets in general.

E.g. after the attacker's stats-based scaling was implemented, people stopped complaining about sets such as Sheer Venom, Syvarra's Scales, Unleashed Terror, Venomous Smite, etc. Ditto for sets that were nerfed in terms of their tooltip values, e.g. Crimson Twilight.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 12, 2021 4:46PM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    On paper it's pretty balanced, though the percentage should scale with your weapon and spell damage. The execution is clearly bugged, but it shouldn't technically do more damage than most proc sets, it just does the same percentage of damage regardless of your opponent's tankiness. It needs to be fixed before we make any actual assessment.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    image0-15-2.png?width=949&height=676

Current state of cheese mode PVP with Hrothgar's Chill set.

"Have you tried PVE?"
    PC NA
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Sharing a post from another thread. This from a BG yesterday, and this was quite common across BGs, sadly.
    This is stupid even in BGs.

Today premades have been running in high MMR with 1 Dark Convergence + 3-4 Hrothgar's Chill:

NecNwQX.png

There really isn't counter play to this, given that roots are spammable and can be applied by multiple players to the same target(s).

PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • xHotguy6pack
    xHotguy6pack
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Only people saying it's not balanced are the kids who get carried by tank sets like pariah in pvp.
  • HidesInPlainSight
    HidesInPlainSight
    ✭✭✭

They are procing it off of pets or other sources with higher resistances. At 20k resistences im getting hit for 9-10k when they proc it off blastbones.
  • Greek_Hellspawn
    Greek_Hellspawn
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Only people saying it's not balanced are the kids who get carried by tank sets like pariah in pvp.

Only people saying it's balanced are the kids who get carried by proc sets like hrothgar’s in pvp to get a kill.
    Edited by Greek_Hellspawn on September 2, 2021 10:18AM
  • Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    No, not balanced

Yes, it only hits me for 4k. There are zergs using it, and because I withstand damage they think I am a tank.

I was able to get my revenge on those players because they attempted to crutch too hard on the set. It won't kill everyone that appears "tanky" because there are different reasons for a player not dying other than stacking resists.

I don't think it's overpowered any more or less than someone with stacked resistances doing a lot of damage.

Sounds like someone is using ironblood :-)
  • StarMightyMaster
    StarMightyMaster
    ✭✭✭
    The set would not be so bad if..

1: the 26% was base on spell/weapon damage so if you have low spell/weapon damage the % would be lower.

2nd The aoe damage does not need to be there why?

3rd It's a set meant to kill tank so should only work on people above xxx res 27k 29k or something so it really is only good vs tanks then.

Getting hit by this set for 5 to 10k at 25k sub res is DUMB