The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Hrothgar’s Chill is a Balanced Set

• StarMightyMaster
    StarMightyMaster
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to add you know a set is doing to much when SO many people are running the same set ngl
  • Azrael001
    Azrael001
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Jameson18 wrote: »

And same goes for Dark Convergence and Rush of Agony. They are sets meant to punish players for stacking. So yeah, spread out. If you are close enough for either of those sets to pull you into their effects, then you are not spreading out.

Spread out? Spread out. I am a magsorc main, so all my attacks are ranged, and every time someone procs dark convergence where they're standing, if I'm within range to hit the person, I'm pulled in and ultidumped. Every. Single. Time. I've even been pulled in when I'm standing out of my own range from the target. How can we "spread out" when we can be pulled in from anywhere that's able to hit them? Just don't fight the enemy? It's a cheese set and its' range of effect needs to be significantly nerfed.

I don't even play CP servers, so all of this experience is from BGs. Punishing the stacking of 4 or fewer players shouldn't be a thing, especially if this is meant to break up ball groups. I've gotten 25k hits from dark convergence several times (although they're mostly around 10-15k), with 23k of each resistance.

How do you build to counter all 3 new sets? As someone who almost exclusively runs w/ a small group or solo, it's impossible to be able to counter all of them. Please, if you can tell me how to counter dark convergence on a damage-focused mag build, lmk. Not even my streak can get me out fast enough when I'm spamming the button after breaking free.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Azrael001 wrote: »
    How do you build to counter all 3 new sets? As someone who almost exclusively runs w/ a small group or solo, it's impossible to be able to counter all of them. Please, if you can tell me how to counter dark convergence on a damage-focused mag build, lmk. Not even my streak can get me out fast enough when I'm spamming the button after breaking free.

I think that part of the quote was you.

How do I plan on countering all three sets on my magsorc build?

Hrothgar: Fairly easy, I already run a low resist mag sorc, something like 13K and 10K resists unbuffed. Probably going to drop boundless storm and replace it with crit surge. Basically dropping major armor buffs for more passive healing and more damage. On top of that, I plan on running Flare front bar for major protection and moving my shield to the back bar.

Plaguebreak: It's a small dot. I'll just stop using templar synergies to purge during siege. And do the same thing I do with any player based bomb, like inevitable det or vicious death, stay away from others where possible.

Dark Convergence: Dodge roll + streak should be more than enough.

More likely though, I am just switching to No Proc because No Proc is just better.
  • StarMightyMaster
    StarMightyMaster
    ✭✭✭
    Azrael001 wrote: »

I think that part of the quote was you.

How do I plan on countering all three sets on my magsorc build?

Hrothgar: Fairly easy, I already run a low resist mag sorc, something like 13K and 10K resists unbuffed. Probably going to drop boundless storm and replace it with crit surge. Basically dropping major armor buffs for more passive healing and more damage. On top of that, I plan on running Flare front bar for major protection and moving my shield to the back bar.

Plaguebreak: It's a small dot. I'll just stop using templar synergies to purge during siege. And do the same thing I do with any player based bomb, like inevitable det or vicious death, stay away from others where possible.

Dark Convergence: Dodge roll + streak should be more than enough.

More likely though, I am just switching to No Proc because No Proc is just better.

13k res I hope I fight people with 13k res all day long easy kills for me
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Elder-Scrolls-Online-Screenshot-2021-09-05-01-00-28-27-LI.jpg

Its balanced.
    Edited by MalakithAlamahdi on September 5, 2021 2:25AM
  • Pelican
    Pelican
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Just purge lol ez
    PC NA - EP Solo PvP Player
    https://www.youtube.com/c/pelicaneso
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    To think that people used to say new moon was op.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    image0-15-2.png?width=949&height=676

Current state of cheese mode PVP with Hrothgar's Chill set.

This is funny because you only got hit yourself with 1 chill proc that dealt 4k, most of the damage is from aoe proc on your other 4 teammates.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Only people saying it's not balanced are the kids who get carried by tank sets like pariah in pvp.

I don't use pariah, in fact I play glass canon and I still get hit with 7k+ proc, that is about 25% of my HP
  • martyr3118b14_ESO
    martyr3118b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    No, not balanced
    Set is completely broken. Ran BGs last night and it was dark convergence + hrothgar on every single enemy player. Locked and nuked, couldn't even use skills.. Absolutely horrible gameplay..
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    It's so fun to take 20k hits. Did you notice how many players in BG are MagDKs now, for corrosive+hrothgar cheese?
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Set is completely broken. Ran BGs last night and it was dark convergence + hrothgar on every single enemy player. Locked and nuked, couldn't even use skills.. Absolutely horrible gameplay..

Yeah this is pretty accurate, basically dark convergence user and the rest hrothgar users
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    Only people saying it's not balanced are the kids who get carried by tank sets like pariah in pvp.

I love these kind of posts lol. Maybe you should pause before each fight and email your opponent a list of gear that you find acceptable for them to wear - so that you won't get frustrated and have a temper tantrum because you can't 2-shot them.
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    I hear conversations about the basic idea of the set. The conversation should get there. As of now, I don't think we can fairly judge it's performance because the set seems to have issues under the hood. (Caveat: I haven't played pvp in almost a week so maybe they fixed some things)

Here are two issues I'm seeing:

Screenshot-20210905-221729.png

This shouldn't be possible since it says it procs on your CC. CC immunity shouldn't allow you to get hit by 3 of them that quickly. (This was a friend's recap). I believe everyone's Hrotgar is being procced if anyone CCs you.

2. My toon has 19k resists. That isn't glass cannon but it certainly isn't tanky resists. I still have seen 10k+ hits on me in battlegrounds. That seems like a lot of PvP damage, with no CP, against a player it is not designed to target. This might just be a scaling issue or something is going wrong with the calculation.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on September 12, 2021 3:55AM
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its just too good against non tanks. They should change it to scale with armor and hp and get rid of the aoe. The damage would be lower if the target only has a high value of one of the two, but the same as it is now if the target has both armor and hp in abundance. Something like 30k hp and 30k armor to hit as high as it does now. Using it a bunch today I find that it hits just right on tanks, but its insane that it does nearly the same damage to dps.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    I don't like dying because someone wearing pariah was standing 10 feet away from me but what can you do.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think its just too good against non tanks. They should change it to scale with armor and hp and get rid of the aoe. The damage would be lower if the target only has a high value of one of the two, but the same as it is now if the target has both armor and hp in abundance. Something like 30k hp and 30k armor to hit as high as it does now. Using it a bunch today I find that it hits just right on tanks, but its insane that it does nearly the same damage to dps.

Yeah, as a tank-busting set it certainly does fine, but two problems exist with its current execution. One, that the damage doesn't rely on the wearer's stats as other proc-sets do, so that the damage requires no investment from the wearer. Two, that the damage is AoE, meaning that while effective against tanks, it will end up more effective against their weaker neighbors.

I agree that the AoE could be dropped from this set with no resulting loss in efficacy towards its purpose. That very well may be enough, but more could be done, for instance your suggestion. Another potential solution could be making it so that the damage is dependent on the spell or weapon damage of the wearer, but ignores the armor of the opponent (as in a deep-piercing chill), so that it would be completely effective against tanks relying on high resistance values. Or, it could be one of a few sets to scale off of penetration values. Something to bring it more in line with the standards set for proc-sets without losing the purpose for which it appears to be designed.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like dying because someone wearing pariah was standing 10 feet away from me but what can you do.

Not play a game that deems the set an exciting addition that improves said game.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    The only problem I find is an AoE. The 3-4k procs are hardly can be called "good against squishes"
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Andre_Noir wrote: »
    The only problem I find is an AoE. The 3-4k procs are hardly can be called "good against squishes"

So, AoE procs that damage twice as hard doesn't bother you?

Top MMR BGs meta is literally 35k-40k tanks again. We are back to proc set meta, only with single proc set.
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »

Yeah, as a tank-busting set it certainly does fine, but two problems exist with its current execution. One, that the damage doesn't rely on the wearer's stats as other proc-sets do, so that the damage requires no investment from the wearer. Two, that the damage is AoE, meaning that while effective against tanks, it will end up more effective against their weaker neighbors.

I agree that the AoE could be dropped from this set with no resulting loss in efficacy towards its purpose. That very well may be enough, but more could be done, for instance your suggestion. Another potential solution could be making it so that the damage is dependent on the spell or weapon damage of the wearer, but ignores the armor of the opponent (as in a deep-piercing chill), so that it would be completely effective against tanks relying on high resistance values. Or, it could be one of a few sets to scale off of penetration values. Something to bring it more in line with the standards set for proc-sets without losing the purpose for which it appears to be designed.

Oh yeah good point. Does the set really not scale off the offensive values of the user at all though? If it doesn't then it should scale off the users weapon/spell damage. Tanks should not be using the set designed to kill them to such amazing effect. I got 13k armor and got slapped by a tank using it for 18k damage. Obviously need to also fix whatever bug is making it hit so hard on squishies. I really love and hate this set. Always wanted an anti tank set, but they also made it good against everyone else. Hopefully they won't nerf it to the point tanks will just laugh at you for using it on them. Been dominating tanks with low heals and I want to keep it that way. Hopefully if made only good against tanks we will start to see less sword n board and heavy armor in pvp. Keep that trash in pve I say.

Common consensus from the fair minded individuals seems to be to get rid of the aoe, make it scale off offensive stats, fix bugs, and change it in such a way that it only slaps tanks as hard as it does now.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • Andre_Noir
    Andre_Noir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    divnyi wrote: »

Top MMR BGs meta is literally 35k-40k tanks again. We are back to proc set meta, only with single proc set.

I don't care about BG at all and especially about imaginary "top mmr" that I suppose means "tankonecrowarden[snip]"

[Edited for Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by Psiion on September 16, 2021 8:50PM
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    divnyi wrote: »

I don't care about BG at all and especially about imaginary "top mmr" that I suppose means "tankonecrowarden[snip]"

"tankonecrowarden[snip]" meta that was created solely by this set.

Edited by Psiion on September 16, 2021 8:51PM
  • Komputerheld
    Komputerheld
    ✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    It´s just annoying.... and: Imagine just some tanky builds attacking ball groups with this set... et voilà: The zergs is even worse. Well done ZOS.
    Edited by Komputerheld on September 16, 2021 7:21AM
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, balanced
    Inked-Screenshot-2-LI.jpg

3 procs from 3 different people from 1 immoblize. I don't even have high resist, only 24k spell and 20k physical.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inked-Screenshot-2-LI.jpg

3 procs from 3 different people from 1 immoblize. I don't even have high resist, only 24k spell and 20k physical.

It's like being hit by several ultimates... I am so excited for update 32 and REALLY hope they change this crap. Right before the sets came I felt PVP was the best it has been in the last 1-2 years. Then this *** released, I've never been so angry that I punched my keyboard but playing BG's with these sets have made almost break my keyboard. That is "my queue" to stop playing PVP until they are fixed.
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    The set is broken, overpowered and bugged but honestly I'm having so much fun using it on my stamina dk, 1v1 is quite balanced with 3-4k proc at max (still kinda op given the low cooldown and easy proc condition), but playing outnumbered/1vXing it really shows how bad the set is coded, yesterday i killed 4 people with one take flight, i saved the video to check the damage and it procced for 15k on those poor guys

Edit: i feel like 60% of people who usually pvp run the set on PS4 EU, also BG are proc madness, every match you get at least 3-4 guys running dark convergence+Hrothgar, even stamina toons
    Edited by Ocelot9x on September 20, 2021 11:36AM
  • Greek_Hellspawn
    Greek_Hellspawn
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, not balanced
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    The set is broken, overpowered and bugged but honestly I'm having so much fun using it on my stamina dk, 1v1 is quite balanced with 3-4k proc at max (still kinda op given the low cooldown and easy proc condition), but playing outnumbered/1vXing it really shows how bad the set is coded, yesterday i killed 4 people with one take flight, i saved the video to check the damage and it procced for 15k on those poor guys

Edit: i feel like 60% of people who usually pvp run the set on PS4 EU, also BG are proc madness, every match you get at least 3-4 guys running dark convergence+Hrothgar, even stamina toons

Ps4 EU bg FULL of hrothgar and convergence, some also wear both sets for ultimate cheese.
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    So finally the title of this thread is correct!

Actually who knows until we play with it for awhile. But I'm guessing the set will no longer be used, commonly, and it won't even matter. Perhaps now it'll only be used for what it was intended, tank busting. Never made any sense to me that, with roughly 25k resists in 1v1 I'm getting hit by an extra dawnbreaker level of damage every 7 seconds. 25k resists could hardly be called 'tanky'.