Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Maelstrom Arena Champion

thorwyn
thorwyn
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Recently, I have seen more and more people running around with the "Maelstrom Arena Champion" titel. There is nothing wrong with that of course. What's puzzling me is, that a huge percentage of those people are CP 1000+, some even 1500+ and I was wondering: why would someone wear a title that can be earned with a lvl 10 char?
I know, CP does not mean anything and let me emphasize this again: there is nothing wrong with this! But the sheer amount of high CP people with this title is a bit confusing. Did I miss something? Is that a new meme or running gag? Did anyone else notice this?
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭
    You say there is nothing wrong with this, yet you go on to say, "a huge percentage of those people are CP 1000+, some even 1500+ and I was wondering: why would someone wear a title that can be earned with a lvl 10 char?"

Sounds like you're shaming right there in my honest opinion

People display titles for differing reasons. I until recently displayed 'Pact Hero' (and I've played since the start) because I love my Alliance, but I changed it to 'Master Historian' because I like the sound of it as I love the lore and books

People do what people do. Sometimes it's easy to understand, sometimes you don't need to :)

To add: my question to you is, why can't/shouldn't people display titles that may be easy for some to get?
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm not shaming anyone. I would never have started this thread if it was just a couple of people wearing that title and it was just as you described an individual thing. But after seeing more and more and more, I though there was a story behind this that I missed.
    Edited by thorwyn on July 31, 2021 11:57AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thorwyn wrote: »

I'm not shaming anyone. I would never have started this thread if it was just a couple of people wearing that title and it was just as you described an individual thing. But after seeing more and more and more, I though there was a story behind this that I missed.

Might have gotten it while leveling the toon, and forgot the title on.
  • DaiKahn
    DaiKahn
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I apologise

I don't think it's a new thing. I've always seen many people with the title. Maybe EU/NA server differences? Maybe people coming back after a while and having that particular title up or just completing it?

I'm not sure though. I just look at titles as something that particular person loves or is proud of
    I'm just a man
    Hail Sithis
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of weeks ago now I noticed that my characters with recently applied titles had their titles change to the one at the bottom of the list. I still haven't been able to replicate it to be sure it wasn't multiple identical errors on my part, but perhaps this is the same issue.

Alternatively, I've also seen quite a few of these high CP players with the Maelstrom Arena Champion title and I've just been assuming they're on an alt that doesn't have many interesting titles yet or something.
    PC NA
  • Herr_Flocke
    Herr_Flocke
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a pvp thing. A lot of pvp'rs use some crap pve title as bait for the unsuspecting newbie :)
  • Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is a pvp thing. A lot of pvp'rs use some crap pve title as bait for the unsuspecting newbie :)

Yep, this right here!

It's bait.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Recently, I have seen more and more people running around with the "Maelstrom Arena Champion" titel. There is nothing wrong with that of course. What's puzzling me is, that a huge percentage of those people are CP 1000+, some even 1500+ and I was wondering: why would someone wear a title that can be earned with a lvl 10 char?
    I know, CP does not mean anything and let me emphasize this again: there is nothing wrong with this! But the sheer amount of high CP people with this title is a bit confusing. Did I miss something? Is that a new meme or running gag? Did anyone else notice this?

I always thought the Arena Champion title should be the vet title instead of Stormproof. Sounds better to me being a "champion"... But given my username that's not a surprise.
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on July 31, 2021 2:20PM
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    why would someone wear a title that can be earned with a lvl 10 char?

I remember when I still had little alts, they would first of all complete normal MA for skill point and title. I was then using this title on them if they were doing some normal dungeons :) Of course, after they reached 50 LVL, this title was removed or replaced with better title.

I personally don't see any use for this title on high level characters...
    I think it is a pvp thing. A lot of pvp'rs use some crap pve title as bait for the unsuspecting newbie

Ok, now that I imagine some high-ranked PvP player with this title, I see how it can be hilarious ;) It is much more refreshing than Volunteer!

My stamdk tank (nowadays he is DD) used Master Wizard title for long time :smiley: It was for laughs, cause he was "tanking like a master wizard".
    He wears Stormproof title nowadays, cause this is the only way to properly show off his Maelstrom weapons... Everyone can get those weapons nowadays on normal, so their look alone is not enough. Need to have the title :( However, Master Wizard will always be his perfect title.

My magplar healer (nowadays she is mostly DD) has her perfect title Fighter's Guild Victor. It is also for laughs - because everytime I do content as healer, I equip Xivkyn polymorph... I don't think that Fighter's Guild allow Xivkyn in their ranks; and I love how she talks like Xivkyn caster NPC when using certain abilities :D All these things together make this simple title very fun!
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

idk it must be a trend not a trick because I destroyed a 'maelstrom arena champ' in cyro last night and I'm not a good pvper
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think endeavors might have driven more players to arenas. It’s easy to assume that everybody’s done it, but I’ve got a bunch of guildies who are 1000+ and have been playing for a little less than a year. Some of them are just getting around to it now and are psyched to get the title.
  • Marillea
    Marillea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think some people just don't care about titles, so they equip the first one or a random one and leave it.
    I know I equip a fitting and nice sounding title on all my characters, and then never change it unless a nicer one comes around.
  • xHotguy6pack
    xHotguy6pack
    ✭✭✭
    Because they like the title? I still use executioner on my 5 star templar because I like it.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because they like the title? I still use executioner on my 5 star templar because I like it.

I like librarian :smiley:
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might like the title, or it might be the same as people with five stars using the 'volunteer' title just for fun or trolling.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be farming nma for the sticker book with alts having no other titles, but I remember a lot of people preferred nma one to vma stormproof or flawless, idk. I'm equipping it while leveling an alt in nma, don't really like all the "champion" or "hero" ones otherwise.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I run with such title cause it's ironic
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    They might like the title, or it might be the same as people with five stars using the 'volunteer' title just for fun or trolling.

Well the volunteer title was being used for custom titles using some addons
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or they just like the title?, I have a toon with" Clanfriend", and another with "Scoundrel", that I have no plan to ever swap out for any other
  • Jamerth
    Jamerth
    ✭✭✭
    Titles mean nothing. Ex.: i am a shady altmer templar that is dressed up and looks exactly like a nightblade thief/assassin would (black tight clothes, with hood + half face mask, slag town diver skin and the glowing red eyes) and run around with the title "Pirate" B)
    Also don't forget about the carrier groups that can get you very hard to earn titles for gold.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What is so wierd about people having different tastes?
    I use different titles depending on my outfits mostly,no matter if it's a title from veteran content or some I got in 5 minutes.
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has always been a thing. The forums give you a skewed perception of what most people in the game actually accomplish. Most people I know have only ever done nMA, if they've ever done it at all, and some struggle with it.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't put stock in what titles others wear since I never notice them anyway. The game also does a good job of not showing them unless you mouse over other players but many things get in the way of that like npcs and dead bodies.

That being said, most of my alts wear Paragon, Battleground Butcher and Relic Runner, just because I'd levelled them through random dungeons and battlegrounds so that's all they have despite none of them ending up as pvp toons.

My guess is what you see is something similar, players who've hasn't done MA or VMA, finally used a toon to clear it thanks pale order ring and an updated build on an alt that's the same class as recommended in some guide and end up with a toon having only that title that means something to them.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only title I ever put on my characters is, "Daedric Lord Slayer"... it's my favorite title out of all the ones I've seen. :)
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use Volunteer as my title.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL I do that

I run Maelstrom Arena Champion title and Dragonstar Arena champion.

CP 1000 ++

why ? idk. :):)
    PC