Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.2.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Major Protection on Revealing Flare. What?!

• spacefracking
    spacefracking
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's multiplicative as well, so it's like your damage taken % after other mitigation, times 0.90. So if you were already at max armor mitigation (50%), that 10% becomes 5%. Stacking armor value is where it's at anyway because each extra resist buff is additively added to your armor value mitigation.

This is also why buffer of the swift is not actually good, unless you are running around in a paper bag with no other resists.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeniph wrote: »
    I'll be honest here. From a gankers perspective I HOPE everyone slots it. It's laughably easy to avoid the detection from. I have never, since it's inception, been hit by it unless I am ignoring it to go in for the kill or run in a breach.

Please slot this over Radiant magelight or Evil Hunter, that is all.

You have never been hit by it because no one wore the darn thing it was so bad xD
    Now it'll probably be a different story.

I saw people using it but it was more for area denial than aggressive searching.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    Revealing Flare: This ability and its morphs now prevent stealth and invisibility for 4 seconds, up from 3 seconds.
    This ability and its morphs now passively grant Major Protection while slotted to ensure they do not feel lackluster to slot when not actively trying to deny stealth or invisibility, similarly to Magelight or Expert Hunter granting Major buffs.

I hope this is some kind of sick joke. Major protection? Just by slotting in this skill? Are you out of your mind?! So you're telling me, You're going to give everyone. EVERYONE Both minor protection via Temporal guard, and major protection from Revealing flare, Giving EVERYONE a total of free 15% damage reduction? Even after buffing the damage reduction buff from battle spirit? I had to double take this skill to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Why? Why in god name did you think this is a good idea? Revealing Flare might as well make sets like Pirate Skeleton, or skills like permafrost obsolete. Why would I ever use them if I have this? Please don't let this change go live, I beg of you.

Its 10%. Remember that the benefit drops dramatically the more mitigation you stack. Also, it makes sense to avoid getting bombed. Slot a reveal and protection hybrid.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    Hunter and Mage Light give you buffs you can get from potions. They're there for convenience and you don't run them for reveal.

It's bs to give protection to revealing flare

Which potion increases my max magicka?

If you are talking about mage light, that's a guild passive. Slotting any mage skill gives you mag. Not really sure what this has to do with the conversation.
    I drink and I stream things.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens when everyone and their goat play bomblade. And no, the ye ole argument of 'just don't stack' isn't good, they are so broken, they hit fast and hard regardless. I've been using revealing flare in MYM on flags, it's expensive, it lasts too short, and it has a HORRID animation, that takes a bit till it lands, and with the lag it's even worse. The flares, even the stun ones, didn't deter the bombers at all. It's not the counter measures that are the problem and need to be buffed, yet here we are.
    Edited by Jaimeh on July 14, 2021 9:56PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    That's what happens when everyone and their goat play bomblade. And no, the ye ole argument of 'just don't stack' isn't good, they are so broken, they hit fast and hard regardless. I've been using revealing flare in MYM on flags, it's expensive, it lasts too short, and it has a HORRID animation, that takes a bit till it lands, and with the lag it's even worse. The flares, even the stun ones, didn't deter the bombers at all. It's not the counter measures that are the problem and need to be buffed, yet here we are.

All this is true. Here's what they could have done.

Nerf VD. It was buffed for no reason. You got non bombers wearing it ffs.

Nerf the initial damage of proxy and increase the per target tick to cut down on solo bombing which apparently makes people rage. Personally when I see someone solo bomb I laugh at them because what a waste of ultimate.

Cut the cost of flare, hunter, and light. Hell, make them free for all I care. Increase the diameter, especially in hunter and light.

All of those would make bombing sufficiently harder. But they didn't do those. Instead that instituted a ridiculous free major protection that will throw the entire game out of balance in pvp AND pve.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10% dmg mitigation just for slotting a skill ?! whaat ? :#

This is insane. It is an equivalent of 7K armour. Not even 5pcs set bonus gives something like that. Not even Gaze of Sithis or Mighty Chudan

And you can actually stack it. Yep, you can have 33K armour that is 50% dmg mitigation and slot this to have additional 10%.

What are they thinking lol...

Like someone said before, calm down 🤣. It's not a flat 10% mitigation. The mitigation percentages are calculated multiplicative. This means the more mitigation you have the less effective is the next mitigation percentage. For example - 55% battle spirit + 10% from CP + 5% minor protection = 61.5% actual mitigation

(.45×.90×.95=.385); [1-.385=.615]

Now if you include major protection, total mitigation is now 65.4%

(.45×.90×.95×.90=.346); [1-.346=.654]

In other words, 10% extra mitigation reduces the damage by only 3.9%, not 10%.

Does this math ease you concerns?
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »

This is insane. It is an equivalent of 7K armour. Not even 5pcs set bonus gives something like that. Not even Gaze of Sithis or Mighty Chudan

And you can actually stack it. Yep, you can have 33K armour that is 50% dmg mitigation and slot this to have additional 10%.

Like someone said before, calm down 🤣. It's not a flat 10% mitigation. The mitigation percentages are calculated multiplicative. This means the more mitigation you have the less effective is the next mitigation percentage. For example - 55% battle spirit + 10% from CP + 5% minor protection = 61.5% actual mitigation

No because the issue isn't a 50k health tank. The issue is the 28k health "DPS" that will get maximum benefit, just like they did last tank meta.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hunter and Mage Light give you buffs you can get from potions. They're there for convenience and you don't run them for reveal.

If you are talking about mage light, that's a guild passive. Slotting any mage skill gives you mag. Not really sure what this has to do with the conversation.

Anyone talking about mage light is talking about inner light.... people slot inner light, no one slots radiant.

What they said was relevant to the conversation. No one was talking about mages guild passives.
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »

While you can look at it like that and say it’s only a 3.9% mitigation change, that is the absolute change and in reality the relative change is still 10%, regardless of the starting mitigation.
    Ie: you were taking 38.5% tooltip damage before and 34.6% after -> this is a relative reduction of 10% in terms of damage taken from before to after. And is precisely why percentage mitigation’s are multiplicative.

The reason why the relative change is what is important is this using an extreme example:
    Imagine my build is sitting at something like 99% mitigation. Say I then somehow get another 50% mitigation. Sure this only takes my total mitigation to 99.5% so you can say, “it’s only a 0.5% increase” which sounds like it’s small effect. But in gameplay it now takes twice as much damage as before to kill me. Hence the relative value is more meaningful, as it better describes the gameplay effect.

It’s also why everyone talking about the battle spirit change is referring to it as a ~20% increase in mitigation, as this is the relative change from 44% to 55%, rather than the absolute change of 11%. Because it’s more meaningful to actual gameplay.

As an addendum, I clarify I am not actual commenting on the pro/con of the actual OP topic of protection on flare, rather just picking up on how this mitigation example was presented.
    Edited by ExistingRug61 on July 16, 2021 3:29PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »

Anyone talking about mage light is talking about inner light.... people slot inner light, no one slots radiant.

What they said was relevant to the conversation. No one was talking about mages guild passives.

Again what does that have to do with flare? Are we equating a 5% increase in mag to major protection? That's absurd.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again what does that have to do with flare? Are we equating a 5% increase in mag to major protection? That's absurd.

Nope, but add in the Major Prophecy with the 7% Max Mag and 2% Recovery and it’s comparable.
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Revealing Flare: This ability and its morphs now prevent stealth and invisibility for 4 seconds, up from 3 seconds.
    This ability and its morphs now passively grant Major Protection while slotted to ensure they do not feel lackluster to slot when not actively trying to deny stealth or invisibility, similarly to Magelight or Expert Hunter granting Major buffs.

I hope this is some kind of sick joke. Major protection? Just by slotting in this skill? Are you out of your mind?! So you're telling me, You're going to give everyone. EVERYONE Both minor protection via Temporal guard, and major protection from Revealing flare, Giving EVERYONE a total of free 15% damage reduction? Even after buffing the damage reduction buff from battle spirit? I had to double take this skill to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Why? Why in god name did you think this is a good idea? Revealing Flare might as well make sets like Pirate Skeleton, or skills like permafrost obsolete. Why would I ever use them if I have this? Please don't let this change go live, I beg of you.

Hey, do NOT complain about this buff! It's a bloody nightmare to use it and be vulnerable instead of blocking an incoming stealth attack! Some of us actually USE these skills and need the buffs they're getting. We flare'rs NEED this change!
  • ExistingRug61
    ExistingRug61
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope, but add in the Major Prophecy with the 7% Max Mag and 2% Recovery and it’s comparable.

If your doing that comparison, don’t forget flare gives 10% mag recovery from the support passive.

So If we are comparing the passives of inner light with flare. (PvP context obviously)
    I mean, the max mag boost comes out to something like a 2-3% damage boost at most depending on the spell damage/mag split. And major prophecy might be another multiplicative 6% or so (assuming a case of something like 60% crit damage after crit resist and a low starting crit chance). So that might be a bit over 9% damage increase from Inner light in the best case (I think I am being kinda generous with the above).

Now, flare provides 10% mitigation. Which requires 11.1% more damage to overcome back to the same damage.

So, in a case where two otherwise identical builds were duelling, but one had inner light and one had flare:
    The one with inner light would do less damage to the one with flare than the one with flare would do to the one with inner light.
    The one with flare 8% extra mag regen.
    The one with Inner light has stronger heals.
    Edited by ExistingRug61 on July 15, 2021 12:16AM
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They didnt really need to do anything to encourage mag toons to slot a detect skills- Magelight was already very strong.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again you can get major prophecy from a pot. So run a pot and slot revealing flare which will give you another 10% recovery. Sounds like a win win to me.
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyone and their mom is going to be running flare, I can tell you that much.
    EP: Slania Isara : Harambe Was an Inside Job
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jrgray93 wrote: »

Doubt I will. My bars as a magplar are pretty full. Only flex spot I had will likely go to Purifying Light now. I could give up Radiating Regen on the back bar to run this, but Radiating is so helpful to myself and those around me.

If Revealing Flare was an Ulti, I think everyone and their mom would run it on a back bar.

I think this a good change.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again you can get major prophecy from a pot. So run a pot and slot revealing flare which will give you another 10% recovery. Sounds like a win win to me.

We’ve already been through this one, scroll up.

If your doing that comparison, don’t forget flare gives 10% mag recovery from the support passive.

So If we are comparing the passives of inner light with flare. (PvP context obviously)
    I mean, the max mag boost comes out to something like a 2-3% damage boost at most depending on the spell damage/mag split. And major prophecy might be another multiplicative 6% or so (assuming a case of something like 60% crit damage after crit resist and a low starting crit chance). So that might be a bit over 9% damage increase from Inner light in the best case (I think I am being kinda generous with the above).

Now, flare provides 10% mitigation. Which requires 11.1% more damage to overcome back to the same damage.

So, in a case where two otherwise identical builds were duelling, but one had inner light and one had flare:
    The one with inner light would do less damage to the one with flare than the one with flare would do to the one with inner light.
    The one with flare 8% extra mag regen.
    The one with Inner light has stronger heals.

@ExistingRug61 Yes, you’re making a lot of sense. I appreciate someone bringing out the numbers :)

Agree completely that the 10% Magicka Recovery for slotting must be considered. So really it’s a decision between:

12% Spell Crit
    7% Max Mag
    2% Recovery

or

10% Mitigation
    10% Recovery

Good point about 11% damage increase canceling out 10% mitigation. And yep the 7% Max Mag should be around 2-3% damage increase.

I’ll slightly disagree with your crit evaluation. At 30% crit before Major Prophecy and 60% Crit Damage it would be a 6.1% damage increase, but I don’t believe players are running much crit resistance this patch. If you can get to 80% crit damage at that same 30% chance then 12% increase results in 7.7% damage. In groups with Warhorn this could go higher, but you’re also more likely to encounter opponents with Transmutation so maybe we shouldn’t consider higher values. Still that 7.7% + 3% is getting very close to the required 11% damage, just ends up 8% behind in Mag Recovery.

I don’t mean to imply that Inner Light and Revealing Flare with 10% mitigation are perfectly balanced, but they’re fairly close, and much better than if it had Minor Protection.

Camo Hunter is probably a better counter than Inner Light tbh, since it brings 3% weapon damage, 5% from Minor Berserk (more like 4% really, and hard to keep active when your enemy is facing you), and 12% weapon crit.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on July 15, 2021 2:22AM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Doubt I will. My bars as a magplar are pretty full. Only flex spot I had will likely go to Purifying Light now. I could give up Radiating Regen on the back bar to run this, but Radiating is so helpful to myself and those around me.

If Revealing Flare was an Ulti, I think everyone and their mom would run it on a back bar.

In a vacuum, I agree that this is a good change. I also like the battlespirit change, in a vacuum. I worry that the combination of both could reduce damage in PvP a little too much.

It's going to be interesting to see how all of the planned changes ultimately pan out. Hopefully these changes will make offensive builds more powerful in PvP (instead of everyone having to run at least one purely defensive set), but I also worry that they'll make it so nobody can kill anybody except in Xv1 situations.
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Also a magplar. Will be finding room for it.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "hey mayor protection isn't a big deal. Don't worry about it."

"FINALLY A REASON TO SLOT THIS STUPID SKILL. THANK TALOS."
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What would your bars look like?

Sweeps/Toppling/Reflective/RO/Purifying
    Radiating/Extended/RAT/Channeled Focus/HoD
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about.

Sure the skill will give a bit of mitigation now, I'd wager most folks won't even get 5% out of it in practical terms. The skill is still useless in terms of stealth gameplay countering.

As a ganker and a bomber, these changes seem fine to me. The guy who is getting 5%+ mitigation from it will still die in a bomb/gank and the folks getting less than 5% are still going to be a tough fight because they are properly geared.

As for the reveal, I have to laugh everytime I see it used. Due to movement speed I can watch this skill be casted, see the ball and it's trajectory and move out before it even hits the ground. And from a bombing perspective it's a non-issue since I just use Lotus Fan from 22m out and get that decent 10% Vulnerability buff.

I suppose people think bombers are standing on top of them spamming cloak waiting for that explosion for 5-6 seconds. The truth is, most of the time, they spend those 5-6 seconds moving from the position of cover they casted it to get into position. And to top that off you can forgo the Major Sorcery potion in favor of an Immovable and put the ball squarely back into your targets hands on how successful the bomb is.

So I for one am extremely happy to see this change, it's going to give those folks that use it a false sense of security until they either unslot it or run around casting it depleting their resources all the time.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you hit a stealther with this ability, He either didn't care and ran through it on purpose or it's too late to save you :)
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure the skill will give a bit of mitigation now, I'd wager most folks won't even get 5% out of it in practical terms. The skill is still useless in terms of stealth gameplay countering.

As a ganker and a bomber, these changes seem fine to me. The guy who is getting 5%+ mitigation from it will still die in a bomb/gank and the folks getting less than 5% are still going to be a tough fight because they are properly geared.

As for the reveal, I have to laugh everytime I see it used. Due to movement speed I can watch this skill be casted, see the ball and it's trajectory and move out before it even hits the ground. And from a bombing perspective it's a non-issue since I just use Lotus Fan from 22m out and get that decent 10% Vulnerability buff.

I suppose people think bombers are standing on top of them spamming cloak waiting for that explosion for 5-6 seconds. The truth is, most of the time, they spend those 5-6 seconds moving from the position of cover they casted it to get into position. And to top that off you can forgo the Major Sorcery potion in favor of an Immovable and put the ball squarely back into your targets hands on how successful the bomb is.

So I for one am extremely happy to see this change, it's going to give those folks that use it a false sense of security until they either unslot it or run around casting it depleting their resources all the time.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you hit a stealther with this ability, He either didn't care and ran through it on purpose or it's too late to save you :)

I think some are worried that this skill in combination with the Battlespirit will once again give us a tank meta.

I so believe this skill needed something, though I'd prefer ZOS do something else to make the skill more versatile because the whole concept of a skill devoted to scouting/detection passively increasing defense is dubious from a military and realism perspective.

As far as what's ZOS is trying to do with Cloak, I'm ok with their intent and willing to test out this stuff. I just am not looking forward to these additional sources of damage mitigation.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some are worried that this skill in combination with the Battlespirit will once again give us a tank meta.

I so believe this skill needed something, though I'd prefer ZOS do something else to make the skill more versatile because the whole concept of a skill devoted to scouting/detection passively increasing defense is dubious from a military and realism perspective.

As far as what's ZOS is trying to do with Cloak, I'm ok with their intent and willing to test out this stuff. I just am not looking forward to these additional sources of damage mitigation.

Yes the issue is major protection + 22% damage nerf via battle spirit. If they left battle spirit alone I wouldn't care enough to campaign on the forum about flare.

The funny thing is they're making the detection on mage light and hunter both better than revealing flare. Isn't that what people wanted? Most slot those anyway for their benefits.

So you'll get one of two scenarios.

One, people will use pots for the prophecy/savagery and run revealing flare for major protection even though it's a weaker detect.

Or they'll front bar light/hunter and backbar flare solely for the major protection, not the skill itself, so what's the point.

You're turning everyone into tanks (again) even though we just complained for the better part of a year to get rid of the tank meta. It won't just stop at nightblades. Everyone will get bored (again) and in 4 months we'll get another wild swing in meta.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on July 15, 2021 7:48PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People are acting like this is crazy but don't understand how % mitigation gets added up and also how precious bar space is. Like, I know 10% MIT for one bar slot sounds great but it's really not.
  • jrgray93
    jrgray93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What would your bars look like?

Sweeps/Toppling/Reflective/RO/Purifying
    Radiating/Extended/RAT/Channeled Focus/HoD

Drop RAT.

My bars are almost identical, except I have Living Dark instead of RAT, and purifying light instead of reflective. I'll likely drop living dark, since I use a maelstrom back bar for sustain, allowing me to use 3x spell damage glyphs in no CP PVP. I'd drop RAT on your build.
    Stx wrote: »
    People are acting like this is crazy but don't understand how % mitigation gets added up and also how precious bar space is. Like, I know 10% MIT for one bar slot sounds great but it's really not.

No, it's quite a lot... depends on your class and spec, but as a magplar in 4-5 light, this will be huge. I need GCDs on my back bar to use honor the dead when I am being focused. With this, I will be able to survive a lot more burst damage while I do that.

Don't underestimate % bonuses on mitigation.
    Edited by jrgray93 on July 16, 2021 2:23AM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »

15, not 10. Plus the 22% from battle spirit. Plus the 10% from ironclad. Oh you wanna run mage light? Great. Now you can also slot a CP that gives you major protection after cc break.

All designed to hurt one class but will throw the entire balance out of wack for everyone.

Also, c'mon. Everyone's bars are full but running a skill to counter other players is necessary if you want to be successful.

I have to run draining shot because it's my only heal when i get attacked by gaze of sithis wears. I'd much rather run Magnum or bombard.

I have to run mark target even though it warns the target they're about to be attacked because it's the only way i can dent wardens, DKs, and gaze of sithis wears.

We all have to make room on our bars for utility skills. This fantasy that we should just be able to run all damage is silly and will hurt the game.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drop RAT.

My bars are almost identical, except I have Living Dark instead of RAT, and purifying light instead of reflective. I'll likely drop living dark, since I use a maelstrom back bar for sustain, allowing me to use 3x spell damage glyphs in no CP PVP. I'd drop RAT on your build.

Need the snare removal, and I quite enjoy the speed. I'm sure some will find ways to slot flare. But it isn't always easy to find room. Templars not having major sorcery is tough. You either depend on spell pots or you slot entropy. I like to run spell/detection pots and get my major prophecy from Reflective. So I guess I could give up Reflective and run spell/crit pots instead and put flare on the front bar. But I also like the 40% snare from Reflective and though a weak dot, it still does dmg. And besides, if inner beast stays the same, I'd prob run that.

There are choices to be made and I just don't think running Flare is something everyone will do. But if it doesn't offer major protection, I guarantee you that no one will use it.

Best wishes on your build though.