The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please do not kill Prismatic Onslaught like this! 😩

Red_Feather
Red_Feather
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I spent a lot on crafting builds to fight undead and daedra. I want to know if player investment matters enough that we are to get refunded the currencies used to purchase materials. The new functionality of the glyph is 100% useless for what I bought it for.

With a snap of the fingers someone at ZoS just decided to change a damage focused item into a resource granting item. How can anyone be so thoughtless of player time spent. It's honestly hostile towards people.

Please do something more elegant than this functionality change. Please consider adding a new rune to the tel var merchant that does the drain resource enchantment and then change the existing prismatic onslaught to do a combined element attack (eg. Magic+Physical+Oblivion damage).

Edited by Red_Feather on July 12, 2021 8:36PM
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how they could refund it TBH.

I agree though that they should have just introduced another rune type instead of this.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how they could refund it TBH.

I agree though that they should have just introduced another rune type instead of this.

Maybe a vendor that "buys" any glyph or item with that glyph, and in return sells back tel var stones.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are ZOS will just make you eat the cost, I'd be surprised if they make a new vendor for that.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to think this is a lesson then. I look at the new dungeon sets and know none of that matters anymore because someone at ZoS can just decide to bait and switch items. Why do anything for items anymore.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or what they could do is convert all current Prismatic runes to a new rune type that has the same effect as old Prismatic, then make all future Prismatic ones this new tristat thing
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they made this change. The "old" prismatic glyphs had a very niche use, and that's been obliterated.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think this is a lesson then. I look at the new dungeon sets and know none of that matters anymore because someone at ZoS can just decide to bait and switch items. Why do anything for items anymore.

I feel the same way, I took a break from the game for over a year cause of stuff like this.
    But when I came back, I just decided to not worry about hardcore combat stuff too much. Mostly I just fumble around, do normal dungeons and overland content.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    Or what they could do is convert all current Prismatic runes to a new rune type that has the same effect as old Prismatic, then make all future Prismatic ones this new tristat thing

I would not be so pissed off if they added a new rune to the tel var merchant that did the drain resource enchantment and then changed prismatic onslaught to do a tri damage of elements.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they made this change. The "old" prismatic glyphs had a very niche use, and that's been obliterated.

Yeah, and the change is to another glyph no one will ever use.
    *Toss that in with the potion jewelry glyph I guess?*
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone even use the other drain glyphs really?

This whole thing feels like they just obliterated an entire utility item. Which is actually useful in many cases. Especially with everyone being stage 3 vamp in pvp lately.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well they could have just made it where it only works against player vampires and werewolves, but that is a niche they are now doing with the fighter guild passive. Now I understand the reasoning behind the change, is basically is the same as for the fighters guild passive change. Basically the game has to check if it this thing or that thing or this thing or that thing. With there being multiple types of tags possibly for several kinds of undead and Daedra meaning there is so many checks the server has to make for these types of passives and enchantments.

Basically what they are doing is removing unneeded calculations, and these changes are for sure related to helping with performance rather then just changing it for the sake of changing it. They are doing it to reduce the number of calculations and they have stated this directly. So if this enchant now does over 20ish calculations every time you use an attack with it, by reducing it, it won't do nearly as many, and in the process you can reduce number of calculations, that possibly effect performance.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on July 12, 2021 8:46PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well they could have just made it where it only works against player vampires and werewolves, but that is a niche they are now doing with the fighter guild passive. Now I understand the reasoning behind the change, is basically is the same as for the fighters guild passive change. Basically the game has to check if it this thing or that thing or this thing or that thing. With there being multiple types of tags possibly for several kinds of undead and Daedra.

Basically what they are doing is removing unneeded calculations, and these changes are for sure related to helping with performance rather then just changing it for the sake of changing it. So basically what this enchant does is calculate over 20ish calculations every time you use an attack with it, by reducing it, you can reduce number of calculations, and this does seem to be the intended goal, get rid of unneeded calculations.

No it is not what is being done despite what a topic said earlier. If that was the case the person doing this would have proposed a new damage glyph that didn't need to check species type. This was a complete change from a damage ability that was effective in unique situations to a drain resource ability nobody has ever wanted, needed or asked for.
    Edited by Red_Feather on July 12, 2021 8:45PM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two staves on Live, one with prismatic enchantment and one with weapon damage enchantment. Now I will have only one (the damage one), the other will be put into bank.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well they could have just made it where it only works against player vampires and werewolves, but that is a niche they are now doing with the fighter guild passive. Now I understand the reasoning behind the change, is basically is the same as for the fighters guild passive change. Basically the game has to check if it this thing or that thing or this thing or that thing. With there being multiple types of tags possibly for several kinds of undead and Daedra.

Basically what they are doing is removing unneeded calculations, and these changes are for sure related to helping with performance rather then just changing it for the sake of changing it. So basically what this enchant does is calculate over 20ish calculations every time you use an attack with it, by reducing it, you can reduce number of calculations, and this does seem to be the intended goal, get rid of unneeded calculations.

No it is not what is being done despite what a topic said earlier. If that was the case the person doing this would have proposed a new damage glyph that didn't need to check species type. This was a complete change from a damage ability that was effective in unique situations to a drain resource ability nobody has ever wanted, needed or asked for.

Pretty sure there is another enchantment that is made more for doing extra damage , my guess is they wanted to fit the theme of the other one, and since its called onslaught, instead of it being anti undead, daedra they made it do a draining onslaught effect of gaining resources. Which in a way I can see being useful in certain situations. They could have done something with damage and made it work only on player vamps and werewolves like I said above, Or even made it just do extra damage to players in general, since every player is an undead, plus Daedra thing even if they are not a vampire, given the lore on soul shriven, basically being a form of daedra, and something akin to an undead thing.

But the devs had this particular vision for it, and if they want to make this change then well nothing we can do about it. For sure there were better options, much better options but this is what it came down too.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on July 12, 2021 9:10PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ikr, I literally just a week or so ago reconstructed full Crusader set using hard earned crystals for a very niche evasion focused theme build. And boom, they take it away. I mean, they could add this totally different set to... wherever. New crafted set, new cyro set. But just completely changing functionality?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 wrote: »
    Does anyone even use the other drain glyphs really?

This whole thing feels like they just obliterated an entire utility item. Which is actually useful in many cases. Especially with everyone being stage 3 vamp in pvp lately.

Yeah, nobody uses those that I've seen.

I wouldn't use the new version even if they returned the full amount of all the "Absorb X" glyphs combined. Making it so it only returns half as much of each resource is just a slap in the face to the players who spent a lot on these glyphs and enjoyed the unique benefit.

Better sell those Hakeijos now, before the general player base that doesn't keep up with the forums are rudely awakened to this awful change when U31 drops.

Edited by Jaraal on July 12, 2021 9:47PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The effect was kind of too restrictive to be usefull in combat to begin with
    Also it now match all other prismatic enchant
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Draining health/magicka/stamina at half the amount is so niche you know it won't be used.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ZOS changed the Fighters Guild skills so they weren't doing unneeded calculations to track undead and daedra, right? Why not do the same with Prismatic?

I guess it's a little like Pelinal's Aptitude. Sure, it wasn't a popular set, but it was really popular with the small subset of hybrid players. Similarly, Prismatic isn't a super popular choice of weapon enchantment, but for the players who use it, they really like it.

Honestly, I haven't seen a niche set get gutted like this since Tava's Blessing got destroyed as a tanking set. Sorry, but you aren't getting recompensed for the changes.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ZOS changed the Fighters Guild skills so they weren't doing unneeded calculations to track undead and daedra, right? Why not do the same with Prismatic?

I guess it's a little like Pelinal's Aptitude. Sure, it wasn't a popular set, but it was really popular with the small subset of hybrid players. Similarly, Prismatic isn't a super popular choice of weapon enchantment, but for the players who use it, they really like it.

Honestly, I haven't seen a niche set get gutted like this since Tava's Blessing got destroyed as a tanking set. Sorry, but you aren't getting recompensed for the changes.

Actually, the calculations will still be used in PvP (where lag is the worst, ironically.) I really enjoyed seeing the highlighted animation in dungeons and other places with undead and daedra. I often slotted Evil Hunter for that reason alone.

And the current Prismatic Onslaught is fantastic to use at dolmens, or in the Imperial City Sewers. Many of my characters have loadouts specifically for that scenario..... but I guess that's all in the past now. Yeah, things change. ZOS is big on change.... especially when it comes to sacrificing the players' experience to make up for programming shorcomings.

Have you seen the crazy checks they are introducing with the new armor sets? It will make scanning a list of mobs to see if Prismatic applies look like programming in BASIC. But they are happy to introduce more lag-inducing calculations to sell new content. Nothing new there.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Actually, the calculations will still be used in PvP (where lag is the worst, ironically.) I really enjoyed seeing the highlighted animation in dungeons and other places with undead and daedra. I often slotted Evil Hunter for that reason alone.

And the current Prismatic Onslaught is fantastic to use at dolmens, or in the Imperial City Sewers. Many of my characters have loadouts specifically for that scenario..... but I guess that's all in the past now. Yeah, things change. ZOS is big on change.... especially when it comes to sacrificing the players' experience to make up for programming shorcomings.

Have you seen the crazy checks they are introducing with the new armor sets? It will make scanning a list of mobs to see if Prismatic applies look like programming in BASIC. But they are happy to introduce more lag-inducing calculations to sell new content. Nothing new there.

Yeah I use prismatic onslaught for all kinds of areas. I made a topic about how much fun it was to find areas I could do with the right gear. It made the game feel like a real role playing game.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

“This passive is currently attempting to validate a very long list of specific target checks on the backend to apply its damage bonus. Rather than continuing this, it will now only check 3 things (instead of 23!) each time you deal damage, while retaining its flavor in PvP environments.”

It’s 20 fewer calculations than before. As I’m thinking about it there are all of the Daedric summons involved, necromancer summons, and who knows what else. The PVP use is definitely looking to be far more efficient than before. I for one would have loved to see what were the 20 other checks Skilled Tracker was doing during PVP.
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a big blow to DPS running it in n/v Maw of Lorkhaj.
    It was a fantastic boost of damage to ALL of the Dro-m'Athra enemies throughout the whole Trial.
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember that the Fighter's Guild questline more or less revolves around making a prismatic weapon. The old effect really fits the narrative purpose more, but I can't deny that the new effect is more consistent with other enchantments and is easier on performance.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    meekmiko wrote: »
    It's a big blow to DPS running it in n/v Maw of Lorkhaj.
    It was a fantastic boost of damage to ALL of the Dro-m'Athra enemies throughout the whole Trial.

I was always under impression that Rakkhat is a daedra (a Grievous Twilight) but the Dro-m'Athra were not daedra.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The effect was kind of too restrictive to be usefull in combat
    What? Do you only play PvP?
    In some PvE stages the effect is so very useful that people even use two staves:
    Olauron wrote: »
    I have two staves on Live, one with prismatic enchantment and one with weapon damage enchantment. Now I will have only one (the damage one), the other will be put into bank.
    EXACTLY THIS. My Prismatic Staff for Arena Daedra stages is USELESS NOW.
    As useless as the new purpose of the prismatic glyphs is.

Turning a DAMAGE enchant into a RESOURCE enchant is DEVALUATING the entire purpose.
    Really nobody wants to suddenly find a resource enchantment on their frontbar. THIS SUCKS.
    If calculations must be reduced, at least think of something USEFUL for former users.
    For example making it an oblivion damage glyph or a minor breach glyph could keep it useful.

Edited by BalticBlues on July 13, 2021 4:41AM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are delves and dungeons having only undead or daedra as enemies.
    If another enchant effect is mot matching, then it should be changed, as it has nothing to do with the FG quest line.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The effect was kind of too restrictive to be usefull in combat
    What? Do you only play PvP?
    In some PvE stages the effect is so very useful that people even use two staves.

No
    But even in pve your better off with something that does damammage/increase dammage on any ennemie
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    There are delves and dungeons having only undead or daedra as enemies.
    If another enchant effect is mot matching, then it should be changed, as it has nothing to do with the FG quest line.

And then what of the other dungeon? Your enchant will be utterly useless there

Also are there really people that base there build around delve exploration?
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on July 13, 2021 9:30AM
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The least harmful change would be converting one damage type glyph to the other one, prismatic damage now being shock, fire and frost for example, retaining some usefulness. Converting it into resources restore is a slap really.