The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Update 31 Combat Preview

• itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    For player abilities, the only things that will break Stealth or Invisibility are direct damage, Crowd Controls such as stuns or immobilizes, or revealing effects such as Expert Hunter or Revealing Flare.
    So single target direct damage will break stealth now or just aoe direct damage?
    There will also now be a short window when entering Stealth or Invisibility, where player single target attacks made against you will no longer cancel the activation or strip the effect.
    Like server performance will even allow this to work reliably. But anyway this conflicts directly with the first statement:
    the only things that will break Stealth or Invisibility are direct damage,

Five bucks says NB are un-killable in the next update.

Either that or NB's will be unplayable because anyone with a staff or bow will be able to spam DD light attacks from long range to lock them out of invisibility while their team mates steam roll the exposed squishies.
    It's not like NB's can just put on 5 heavy to survive and play anywhere near the same, that increases the radius you'll be detected so much that cloak becomes useless and you're better off just rolling on a Warden or Necro.

Edit: I didn't read the second quote correctly before and my understanding was backwards. Un-killable is more likely as single target attacks will not break stealth. My mNB has enough magic to spam it now so no biggie but that will be a huge game changer on my sNB who uses all his magic if he's forced to quickly cast cloak 4 times to actually go hidden.
    Edited by itscompton on July 12, 2021 9:02PM
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »
    katorga wrote: »
    For player abilities, the only things that will break Stealth or Invisibility are direct damage, Crowd Controls such as stuns or immobilizes, or revealing effects such as Expert Hunter or Revealing Flare.
    So single target direct damage will break stealth now or just aoe direct damage?
    There will also now be a short window when entering Stealth or Invisibility, where player single target attacks made against you will no longer cancel the activation or strip the effect.
    Like server performance will even allow this to work reliably. But anyway this conflicts directly with the first statement:
    the only things that will break Stealth or Invisibility are direct damage,

Five bucks says NB are un-killable in the next update.

Either that or NB's will be unplayable because anyone with a staff or bow will be able to spam DD light attacks from long range to lock them out of invisibility while their team mates steam roll the exposed squishies.
    It's not like NB's can just put on 5 heavy to survive and play anywhere near the same, that increases the radius you'll be detected so much that cloak becomes useless and you're better off just rolling on a Warden or Necro.

Edit: I didn't read the second quote correctly before and my understanding was backwards. Un-killable is more likely as single target attacks will not break stealth. My mNB has enough magic to spam it now so no biggie but that will be a huge game changer on my sNB who uses all his magic if he's forced to quickly cast cloak 4 times to actually go hidden.

I can't tell what the heck they are trying to say about stealth, tbh. It will be broken one way or the other. Either damage easily takes you out stealth making it useless or nothing reliably takes you out of stealth and it is god-mode.

Edited by katorga on July 12, 2021 9:13PM
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Finally, there will be some targeted buffs to niche areas of the game we currently feel are lacking: Two Handed’s ability to stick in melee encounters and offer comparable sustained damage in PvE, [...] Keep an eye out in the patch notes for some juicy buffs to two specific abilities!

L M A O

I'm sorry, 2H, which is used by almost every stam toon in PvP and PvE, needs a buff?? Are you for serious? AHahahahahahaahahaha that's a funny joke.
  • Vomterchak
    Vomterchak
    Soul Shriven
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    But how is new Prismatic enchant going to fit into Fighters Guild questline? The whole gist of the forge was that the prismatic weapon is stronger against Molag Bal and daedras. What’s the logical workaround?
    Edited by Vomterchak on July 13, 2021 3:51AM
  • TagCdog
    TagCdog
    I have a question about how this will impact stealing indoors and being caught by a guard.

If you get caught stealing, flee, and pop an invisibility pot, usually the guard will still attack you and prevent you from exiting the door. Does this change things where one could possibly exit without being locked inside until you get killed by the guard?
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vomterchak wrote: »
    @ZOS_Gilliam
    But how is new Prismatic enchant going to fit into Fighters Guild questline? The whole gist of the forge was that the prismatic weapon is stronger against Molag Bal and daedras. What’s the logical workaround?

It's just more corruption of lore and taking away playstyles (and making expensive glyphs worthless) in a desperate scramble to scavenge a few milliseconds of performance. This modus operandi should be be well known to all by now. Dilution of game mechanics and player enjoyment, and for what? Performance continues to get worse with each update.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Mythreindeer
    Mythreindeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to wrap my head around the changes to Fighter's Guild...only works in PvP? Which skills? All of them?

Here's 3 things I know: Viggo Mortensen was robbed at the 2019 Academy Awards; Antonio Vivaldi was the most passionate composer in history; balance does not equate to decimating a skill line.

Sees-All-Colors will be coming for your head.
    Edited by Mythreindeer on July 13, 2021 12:54PM
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting and bashing. It’s okay to disagree and debate on the official ESO forums, but we do ask that you keep all disagreements civil, constructive, and on-topic. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.

We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭
    A CP star to counter direct damage is needed. There is 1 to buff it for 10% but none to counter it.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A CP star to counter direct damage is needed. There is 1 to buff it for 10% but none to counter it.

They added just that on the PTS
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, can we get a way to customise/turn off some additional player particle effects? I loved tanking but with all the white flashy stuff going on it makes it tougher than it needs to be to spot boss mob heavy attacks/animations.

• Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this is very bad news, as it stands now you can be stood on a flag in IC or Cyro or in a siege and get bombed [snip], but this new patch will negate caltrops/ritual of retribution etc etc as an anti bomber tactic? [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on July 14, 2021 12:08PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    aeowulf wrote: »
    Hi, can we get a way to customise/turn off some additional player particle effects? I loved tanking but with all the white flashy stuff going on it makes it tougher than it needs to be to spot boss mob heavy attacks/animations.

settings. it already exists has done for years
    also tab target
    Edited by Alienoutlaw on July 13, 2021 10:07PM
  • Bl4ck7h0rn3
    Bl4ck7h0rn3
    Soul Shriven
    Do mine eyes deceive me? They're buffing Magplars?

Is this real?
  • Noreno
    Noreno
    Soul Shriven
    [snip] dear ZOS, [snip] understand what is wrong. From patch to patch, you make the game a complete garbage can. Encourage stupid zerg and prevent solo players from developing. And new sets will not change absolutely anything, at least for the better. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on July 14, 2021 12:07PM
    -From Russia With Love-
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vomterchak wrote: »
    @ZOS_Gilliam

"Oh no, the pesky vestige knows my only weakness.. tri stat recovery"
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    aeowulf wrote: »

settings. it already exists has done for years
    also tab target

Okay where in the settings do you find this? Because console sure doesn't have it.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to wrap my head around the changes to Fighter's Guild...only works in PvP? Which skills? All of them?

Here's 3 things I know: Viggo Mortensen was robbed at the 2019 Academy Awards; Antonio Vivaldi was the most passionate composer in history; balance does not equate to decimating a skill line.

Sees-All-Colors will be coming for your head.

Chopin begs to differ! ;)
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, it looks like they are just going to make all PVP as stam toons with the exact same skills across the board, from guild/PVP/world/weapon skill lines. Every skill bar will be 8-10 of the same skills and maybe 1 or 2 class specific skills. Even class passives are being evened out. As I said many times they should just remove classes/gear/etc from PVP and make 3 modes Naked fighting (where you just use hands and feet), voldurung sp? fighting where you have some crazy weapon with it's own skill line and/or giant werewolf mode, maybe even a mode where you can become one of the world bosses and control them to fight other players who are other world bosses.

One thing is for sure, trying to 'balance' PVP and PVE at the same time isn't working and I don't blame the devs because it might not be possible. You can have PVE with rich, unique classes where each specific class excels at certain things and is very bad at other things, like the beginning, or watered down classes that are balanced so every one is a cookie cutter of each other. OR the 3rd option which seems like the current direction is to just beef up non-class based skills to be usable by everyone in PVP so class based skills don't matter that much, or maybe focus them toward PVE only. When I think about it 3rd option is not that bad actually.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merforum wrote: »
    Yup, it looks like they are just going to make all PVP as stam toons with the exact same skills across the board, from guild/PVP/world/weapon skill lines. Every skill bar will be 8-10 of the same skills and maybe 1 or 2 class specific skills. Even class passives are being evened out. As I said many times they should just remove classes/gear/etc from PVP and make 3 modes Naked fighting (where you just use hands and feet), voldurung sp? fighting where you have some crazy weapon with it's own skill line and/or giant werewolf mode, maybe even a mode where you can become one of the world bosses and control them to fight other players who are other world bosses.

One thing is for sure, trying to 'balance' PVP and PVE at the same time isn't working and I don't blame the devs because it might not be possible. You can have PVE with rich, unique classes where each specific class excels at certain things and is very bad at other things, like the beginning, or watered down classes that are balanced so every one is a cookie cutter of each other. OR the 3rd option which seems like the current direction is to just beef up non-class based skills to be usable by everyone in PVP so class based skills don't matter that much, or maybe focus them toward PVE only. When I think about it 3rd option is not that bad actually.

Actually I just thought of something, instead of a NO-CP campaign they should try a PVP campaign where they disable all CLASS skills/passives but allow CP and all other passives/abilities and see how balanced that would be.
  • Obsidian3
    Obsidian3
    ✭✭✭✭
    tonyblack wrote: »
    Why add more slotted green passives despite overwhelming negative reaction to existing ones? It is not fun and hindrance to normal gameplay. I would rather prefer making all green tree just passives, since most of them don’t provide any combat advantage.

NO! I like coming out of Dungeons, swapping them to my farmer pts, then running to another dungeon, then swapping them back to the combat pts. I love doing this, please don't take it away!
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from this and a few more specific, smaller adjustments, we’re still monitoring many of the moving parts (such as proc set scaling) and discussing measures we can take in future updates that won’t adversely affect parts of the game where problems aren’t as severe.

I'm glad that an acknowledgment of the undue consequences of proc set scaling has been stated. To be blunt this is the very reason I ended my subscription recently. The disparity between stam and mag players due to this change is massive and as someone with several mag characters the prospect of adjusting or dumping multiple sets I took the time to farm for the sake of a gameplay mode I rarely engage in is daunting to say the least. The "Play as you Want" mantra really took a hit here. I hope that this situation becomes a priority and that more equitable solutions are found.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    So will sets like hulking draugr and bone pirate be viable again with the new scaling? Nioce.
  • davelbier
    davelbier
    some of it sounds ok....some of it sounds sort of nuts. I let go of ESO+ for 2 reasons - 1, pvp performance is sort of balls. 2 - every patch overhauls what i need to grind with my build to compete.

some grinding is ok, i get that this is required to keep people paying for content and keep the game running.but every patch is such a huge overhaul that i am just kinda over it. i will just try to compete with what i have and get on at like, 3pm est when the pop limit isnt reached and hope for the best.

ill buy blackwood and some other dlcs when they go on sale if i can keep enjoying pvp enough to care. pvp can be a friggin blast, or a total crapshow.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTK is meaningless data.

If Bomberman kills 10 people in an instant, or Gang kills a player with too low a health in an instant, you may feel that TTK is too early.
    On the other hand, players are having a hard time killing Necro and Warden in PvP.
    And Ballgroups are immortal.

The game balance of PvP is messed up.
    But the player should die in PvP.
    PvP where no one dies may be peaceful, but it's garbage.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    KurtAngle2 wrote: »
    Do not touch Pelinal's Aptitude
    Thanks

Nah, I had Pelinals on my hybrid characters previously. It's really not that great, the regen on 2 slots and +Health are wasted damage dealing slots, and the regen is still too weak on hybrid unless you run Torc of Tonal Cons--which is basically what should be reason enough to change Pelinal's to have:

2: +Health
    3: +Stamina
    4: +Magicka
    5: Your spell and weapon dmg are both the highest of the two.

or

2: +Stamina
    3: +Magicka
    4: +crit chance
    5: +Your spell and weapon dmg are both the highest of the two.

jecks33 wrote: »
    they should also take a look at staves that are the weaker weapons in the game. Even mag characters use DW in pve, there is something wrong

Huh? You mean a hybrid? Yeah, a couple of hybrid builds are actually viable now. You can still do great damage with staves, my Magblade with DW and bow still doesn't out-dps my MagSorc with Frost+Rest staves. If people are running hybrids in PvP I say "FINALLY!" Because that means the game is giving players options.

There is a weakness to every build. Maybe everyone is running the next style, but few have discovered their weaknesses yet.
    Edited by Syrpynt on July 22, 2021 3:23PM
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selot wrote: »
    Remove cast time from Death stroke and Soul shred!!!

This would really help with bar-swap lag in PvE, since death stroke comes at the end of the back-bar sequence in the rotation.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Arce88 wrote: »
    Also: "areas of the game we currently feel are lacking: Two Handed’s ability to stick in melee encounters and offer comparable sustained damage in PvE" 2H is strongest weapon in PvP, are you seriousely gonna buff it up more because it lacks in PvE? If you want to touch weapons, just give DW a proper Major Brutality like 2H has. That will give us a real choice of weapons, instead of locking every single class without native brutality sourcing to 2H...

Brutality is not why two hander under performs in PVE. In PVE, especially endgame, your major brutality should be coming from your weapon pots that also give you major savagery. The reason two hander under performs relative to dual wield in PVE has to do with critical chance: daggers increase your weapon crit but no comparable two handed weapon does the same. The solution to this would be to add some new two-handed weapon type like a spear, that gives a critical chance bonus.
    Edited by waitwhat on July 28, 2021 1:33PM
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.

"30s to eval"
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    No more active slotted stars please.

In Red they're pure fluff. There are clear winners and loser slotted stars, adding more won't add options simply change what's meta.

In Green the insane number of active stars are hugely frustrating.

With the red stars it's more like there are clear winners for each particular build, which frankly for defense is how it should be.
    For the green stars, you'll notice that most of them are clustered by activity for income: pickpocketing, crafting, dungeon running, endgame fishing, and pvp at the top. It's good to keep these separated like this because it provides true progression: the goal of acquiring more CP in the game now has a purpose of saving you the 3K gold to respec for whatever farming activity you're doing.

What would really take the annoyance out of slotting and respeccing many things is the ability across-the-board to save builds or loadouts and then be able to quickly switch between those configurations in a centralized menu.

"30s to eval"
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    Oh, how about just NO!

The last thing PVP needs is even more tanky BS. Those tower runners and their ilk are annoying enough as is.

And what about ball groups? Those guys already spec for def over damage and run around with 30k+ health as standard, and have constant hots and buff on, and take forever to kill as is. Lowering damage received even more means they will just do their choo-choo routine with even less worries. And the extra damage reduction don't mean jack-*** to you, when you get hit by 3 prxoydets, and 4 eye of storms and 5 other random AOEs while stuck in break free animation (if it even bothers to register.) Death by indiscriminate brainless run-by-AOEs is dumb as ***, and you want to make that play style even easier. Good grief.

As for the cloak changes... Uhm, do you really want the game to turn to gank central, even more than it already is? So you saying that caltrops can't be used to detect NBs anymore? Nor wall of elements? Please, at least tell me that the initial hit from volcanic rune counts as direct damage. If you strip these ways to deter and detect NBs, you gotta make the active ways of detection more viable. Det pots are fun and all, but they have so limited range, and the duration vs potion cool down don't make them viable against any NB that knows what they are doing. Most NBs have silly fast cloaked speed and just scurry away from the detection zone, and then re-engage while you are on potion cool down. With placed AOEs. you could at least set up a defensive perimeter and slowly make your way to safety when you knew there was a nightblade skulking about the bushes..

Now the idea that cloak no longer nullifies dots... Erhm... Don't know how to feel about that. Sure, the failed gank to vigor-cloak, reset the fight and re-gank routine, was annoying as hell, but... magblades kinda rely on that aspect of cloak to not die to all the crapton of dots the game routinely deals out. All those poison and bleed dots will make magblades kinda non-viable. Even more than they already are. Guess the harder detection makes bombing easier, but for everything else, stamblade is it for now, and ganking is the goal I suppose.

ungh... if these changes go live, I think it might be pretty close to the last nail needed for me to give up on PVP for good.

If you read the notes, you'll notice that both caltrops and wall of elements (with a frost staff) will continue to pull players out of stealth because of the snares and immobilizations that they apply. Any attack that procs a snare poison will presumably do the same.
    Edited by waitwhat on July 28, 2021 1:42PM

"30s to eval"