The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Anyone else feel like dev communication needs to be heavily reworked?

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings everyone!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting and discussion of disciplinary action. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.

Thank you for proving my point. @ZOS_Kevin did you at least have the opportunity to read what was posted?
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be nice to get feedback on why they do some of the things they do as it definitely seems they have been out of touch with what the players actually want for years now but they have the info & track what is actually going on in fame so who knows.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hey @6Kyojin6. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback here. I've been reading through this thread and appreciate the constructive feedback several of you have given so far.

While I'm still new and getting my feet wet, I am taking some of the suggestions down for the ZOS team and we will figure out some better ways to garner communication with you. That is one of our goals with the Forum Manager position. If anyone has any additional constructive thoughts about communication and interaction, continue to sound off in this thread. I'll be reading throughout the day.

Also just want to highlight what one of the mods said earlier. Please be sure to stay constructive and respectful. It's totally fine to be frustrated, but please do not bash anyone.

Pointing out that most of the Zenimax interactions here aren't from Developers or CMs isn't bashing, Kevin. It's fact. And it's been a complaint for 7 years.
    Edited by Destai on June 28, 2021 8:22PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    ZOS: can't really explain due to nda, legal restrictions, copyright issues and the simple fact the "easy" solution won't work because they built their own proprietary engine: No, we have to do it this way.

This thing called PR wants your attention.

Buttoning up to make it VERY limited is not a good approach. Saying "we don't want to have flying mounts because ..." does not require legal review. (For example, I would love flying mounts, but don't expect them here at all. Not a true issue of concern now, but it makes the point.)

I will again note that Ghostcrawler was very engaged in the WoW community years ago, so it can be done. Though he was not really valued by management (apparently) and his actions were definitely the exception.

The biggest problem here is the same as many other MMOs. Players have no way to really talk out solid ideas. You will mostly get told to "play something else if you don't like things exactly how they are" by other players if you mention just about anything.

Try raising the artificial need to run an arbitrary distance to get nodes to respawn for surveys and you will get told to "let them pile up less" or have several ways people have worked around the bad need. That should be one a short list to fix at some point (not never). But then I read of bugged quests that are easy to generate from 8 years ago that are still here, so I doubt anything will be done. This is a major problem that will eventually bite the MMO.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Greetings everyone!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting and discussion of disciplinary action. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.

Thank you for proving my point. @ZOS_Kevin did you at least have the opportunity to read what was posted?

I instead just sent them a message.
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they need to change the "Z" in forums to a mod logo "M"

I feel like another game that starts with "Ashes", has a much better grasp on talking to their playerbase even though, they are not out yet.
    Main: (PvP & PvE)
    Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar, the Vestige

PvP:
    Aurik Siet'ka a Redguard Necromancer
    Cacique the Sage of Ius a Redguard Warden
    Jux Blackheart a Redguard Nightblade
    Goliath of Hammerfell a Redguard Dragonknight
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon a Redguard* Sorcerer

PvP: (Specialty)
    Tyrus Septim an Imperial Lycan Sorcerer
    Tsar af-Bomba a Redguard Vampiric Nightblade
    Movárth Piquine a Nord Vampiric Necromancer
    Uri Ice-Heart the Twin a Nord Vampiric Warden

PvE:
    Cinan Tharn an Imperial Dragonknight
    Bates Vesuius of Dawnstar an Imperial Dragonknight
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis an Akavari* Templar
    Tav'i at-Shinji a Redguard** Warden
    Lucky Hunch the Gambler - a Redguard Nightblade

Leveling...
    Zenovia at-Tura a Redguard** Sorcerer
    Yesi af-Kalik a Redguard Templar
    Voa a Priest of Sep a Redguard* Necromancer
    ======
    Passives of another race used. (RP)
    *Breton
    **Imperial

__________________________Backstories:_________________________

Ras Kalik the Vestige, a renown Redguard warrior; He has been blessed to save Tamriel from Molag Bal’s destructive Planemeld while reuniting the Five Companions. His further accomplishments after defeating Molag Bal, has been to stop the destruction of Morrowind, the Clockwork City, return order to the isle of Summerset and create a new king in Wrothgar and a queen in Elsywer. These events have made him a living legend and continue to lead him into new adventures throughout Tamriel, as well as into the hearts of many ladies including the Elf Queen, Aryenn. Over many years of adventurous travels, Ras Kalik had become a loner, until he re-visited his homeland of Alik'r.

Alik'r and it's cities were overrun by the undead Ra-Netu and therefore he made an allegiance with Alik'r's own Ash'abah tribe. These Ash'abah with his help, cleansed the city of Sentinel in Alik'r desert and it's surrounding areas of the undead brought to life by the Withered Hand. After rescuing Sentinel from the undead zombies, King Fahara’jad’s personal bodyguard the Goliath of Hammerfell, who was given this name by Imperials in the region; was asked to assist the tribe after learning of the defeat of the Withered Hand to the Ash'abah. Kalik promised Goliath he would task him with fighting living enemies on the battlefield if he so desired. Goliath being a Yokudan warrior wields a massive sword in respect to the Ansei, a gift given by the Imperial, Cinan Tharn. Not many soldiers are able to wield double two handed weapons, but Goliath loves to get up and personal in a fight, so he also carries a giant maul, both weapons laced with magical flames.

Jux Blackheart is a master thief that masquerades as a Bard at the Sisters of the Sands inn, with his younger sidekick Lucky Hunch for pilfering and gambling during this time. Jux was known to infiltrate any towns bank vault he came across and even delved into Ayelid ruins without detection. Kalik can vividly recall the night he met the famed thief. Jux found himself rummaging thru a slightly inebriated Kalik’s pocket for too long, on a full-mooned night and because of his greed and the glimmer of his golden armor in the moonlight. He lost his left pinky fingertip as a lesson! But in return, he gained a new friend, as it was his first time since a child being caught red-handed...

Upon arrival back in the Alik'r after many moons of adventuring, Ras Kalik ventures to Bergama. Visiting The Winking Jackal, he runs into Jux Blackheart, who introduces him to the coin game Crowns vs Forebearers (Heads vs Tails) and Golden Dwemer (RBG).... Jux constantly takes gold from the unfortunate thru theft or gambling, his biggest gambling victim is actually his partner in crime known as Lucky Hunch the Gambler. Lucky doesn't mind losing any gold coins to Jux... as Jux saved him from Altmer slavers in Summerset, by stealing a key and sending him on a boat to the mainland years prior. Lucky spent years in slavery with Khajiits in Summerset and picked up the art of subterfuge, using illusion magic disguises and stealing there.

Kaotik Von’Daemon an outcast, and a half-caste between a Breton mother and a Redguard father. Kaotik become a pariah due to his conjuration of Daedra pets. He was taught healing magic during his childhood years by his Breton mother. His father due to Redguard customs exiled him from the desert, sending him by wagon caravan to be a soldier in the war in Cyrodiil. He happened to meet Kalik while traveling from Alik'r, during this long caravan ride the caravan he was in was ambushed in Bangkorai by a group of bandits. Kalik by chance was also traveling thru this area on his Auridon Warhorse (which was bestowed to him by his friend, Darien Gautier). During this ambush, Kalik was able to rescue five hostages from the bandits. Kaotik was the first rescued, and Ras Kalik also recruited him to be in the Ash'abah tribe. These core Ash'abah tribesmen may never be seen together in travel as they partake in their own adventures but they always know what each other is doing; as they frequent a hideout in northern Bankorai. Their hideout an old Orc castle ruin, is kept watch by Nuzhimeh and she passes messages written between them, and frequently they also enjoy her company and her bed.

The other men rescued were a Dunmer banker, an Imperial mercenary and two other soldiers, an Imperial and a Breton Knight, stating proudly he was an Akavir descendent. One of the Imperials, Cinan, claimed to be related to Abnur Tharn the Battlemage of the Imperial Elder Council (One of Ras Kalik's mentors in the Five Companions). Cinan Tharn was really Abnur's drunkard treasure hunting illegitimate son. He was caught smuggling artifacts out of the Ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil and the elder of the two Imperials was Tyrus Septim a retired Imperial navy battle-mage (now a Lycan mercenary living in the city of Rimmen) and guard to the Tharn family. As much as Abnur Tharn hated his half-sister Euraxia, he dislikes his bas†ard son Cinan more. Tyrus now a ruffian and privateer had been paid by Abnur Tharn to watch over Cinan as much as possible. Cinan Tharn a drunkard, loves to drink at least a quarter barrel of Nord mead before he raids various delves and dungeons for relics to sell on the black market. Cinan also plans to one day, run an illegal gambling ring... which he thinks will net him more gold for his wares.

The Dunmer captive shackled to the Imperials looked familiar to Kalik from his time in Morrowind.... and he recognized him as Tythis Andromo a House Telvanni slave-owner and banker from Vvardenfell. During a rough interrogation to Tythis, Ras Kalik learnt why the bandits accosted him. The racist Dunmer was providing slaves as soldiers for the Three Banner War. The bandits were trying to negotiate a lucrative ransom for Andromo and the Imperials.... Kalik did not need any of this gold and he could never set Tythis free as he did with the two Imperial soldiers. His past involvement with slavery and war crimes, made Kalik's blood boil. He chose not to execute Tythis, as he figured the worse punishment for this former rich and opulent slave owner, is to now be an imprisoned servant for Ras Kalik and the tribe.

Herzog Zwei the Genesis a reknown Imperial/Akavirri battle-mage. His roots going back to Akavir through his mother’s bloodline. (His mother is descended from the Akaviri, through Versidue-Shae, and his Imperial father met her in Hakoshae, while traveling) Herzog earned the nickname "the Genesis" from his father as a child, as he was his mother's first born child, and last, as she tragically died in child-birth.

Herzog was seeking to purchase an artifact from Cinan Tharn, before their capture and was meeting Tyrus while in Rimmen, who introduced him to Cinan. This artifact being the Ayelid artifact; the sword Sinweaver. After their rescue and the exchange of gold to Cinan for the sword he decided to slip away before Ras Kalik could question who he was, and why the Akavir descendant really wanted that sword. Herzog was headed to Nagastani — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil. He had read in scrolls that the Sword would give him magical powers to meet his mothers spirit, if he performed an Ayleid ritual at an old shrine hidden there. Equipped with the artifact sword, he was off to start his own adventure but Ras Kalik, did indeed notice the sword however and instead sent a letter to Jux Blackheart (whom also was interested in Ayleid treasures), to attempt to find Herzog and acquire the sword. (*Azani Blackheart in Elder Scroll's Oblivion is Jux's descendant some 747 years later)

And so the Redguard, Imperial and Akaviri men parted ways ... While Ras Kalik went off to Elsweyr to encounter the latest threat to Tamriel, with Abnur Tharn and Sai Sahan - - DRAGONS!! Little did Ras Kalik know a few people were awaiting him in Senchal besides Sai. A necromancer survived his attack on the Withered Hand, while in Alik'r. The necromancer known as Auriek Siet'ka is also following him to the land of the Khajiits and Cacique the Sage of Ius a Shaman mystic who has become attuned spiritually with Tu'whacca (a Redguard God) and Ius (the Animal God), after being burned severely by the escaped dragons in Elsywer, is awaiting his arrival also. Aurik is a soldier of the Daggerfall Covenant that was introduced to necromancy while in the military, even though this magicka art is not spoken of openly by most of the Military leaders. He came to Alik'r and worked with the Withered Hand before Ras Kalik intervened on their plans. After the defeat of the Withered Hand, he aligned with the Worm Cult, and is constantly adapting and perfecting his necromantic arts.

After his journey to Rimmen, Kalik heads south to Senchal, in the southern regions of Elyswer. This new adventure will also put him on a path to meet a strange Redguard man. The stranger which was infected with an untreated Peyrite disease and also was the exiled from the Order of the New Moon cult, due to his sickness. He originally joined the cult to worship Laatvulon, the green dragon, mistakenly thinking it was the Daedric prince Peyrite. This confused and suffering cultist is known as Tsar al-Bomba and he is on a path to spread the disease. He was originally infected in Orccrest while recruiting members there. Can Ras Kalik and the shaman Cacique cure this poor soul, only time will tell. Little does Tsar al-Bomba know, that his infection is tied to Vampirism, and eventually the desire for blood will take over his mind. Senchal also offers Kalik his latest love interest... Aeliah. Whom he fondly led thru battles with the Dragonguard.

After the trek thru the heat, tropical and desert climate of Northern and Southern Elyswer, Ras Kalik heads north to the cold mountain range of Skyrim. His companion friend Lyris beckons for him with a letter sent by crow...

Movárth Piquine - a former vampire hunter (now infected), within the Fighter's Guild (and a secretive necromancer) was in Skyrim working with the Morthaal Guard. On a patrol mission he was caught in Frewien's ice curse outside of Morthaal with the frozen undead. Movárth's vampiric infection kept him from becoming an undead minion to the curse. He was able to use necromantic ice-magic to encase himself safely until he was freed with Freiwen, when the Vestige Ras Kalik broke the curse.

Uri Ice-Heart - brother of Urfon Ice-Heart. The twin sons of Atli and Oljourn Ice-Heart. The Ice-Heart family are originally from Markarth but now reside on the Jerall Mountain range near Cyrodiil, with their younger sister Araki. The twins had joined the Winterborn Reachmen while living in Markarth. Urfon pushed west to Orsinium with the Winterborn Clan, leaving his family behind. Uri stayed behind with his parents and sister to live in the family cabin for safety, avoiding the Vampire plague infiltrating the Reach. After news reaches him and he hears of Urfon's death... Uri leaves and heads home and is seeking vengeance. Meanwhile, his sister has also moved on to Windhelm to join the Fighter's guild. He will visit his sister, once before going to seek vengeance and she will craft him armor mixed with ice, called Stalhrim armor. Uri fearing death, after his brother's passing, falls victim to the convincing talk of Movárth at a Nordic tavern, and will also becomes a vampire.

{time moves forward through the hour-glass}
    PS5/NA - Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar - Daggerfall Covenant • 1550+ Champion

• Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghostcrawler (former Lead System Designer for Wow, now in Riot Games) used to keep a blog where he would post about ideas he and other wow devs had for the game, along with explanations of recent changes, general discussions about the direction of the game, and so on.

You could disagree with every single line of that blog, but at least it was there. You could see where the changes were coming from, and why they were introduced.

I think we get a little bit of that with those U26...U30 posts, but the contents are lacking, and one has to read in between the lines to figure out what the overall direction of the game is (at least combat-wise).
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey @6Kyojin6. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback here. I've been reading through this thread and appreciate the constructive feedback several of you have given so far.

While I'm still new and getting my feet wet, I am taking some of the suggestions down for the ZOS team and we will figure out some better ways to garner communication with you. That is one of our goals with the Forum Manager position. If anyone has any additional constructive thoughts about communication and interaction, continue to sound off in this thread. I'll be reading throughout the day.

Also just want to highlight what one of the mods said earlier. Please be sure to stay constructive and respectful. It's totally fine to be frustrated, but please do not bash anyone.

Be very, very careful, and extremely specific in anything "official" you say here. There have been past incidents where something an "official" person has said, has been taken out of context, read between the lines, read into, and generally warped to fit whatever idea/belief the [usually vocal dissenting] poster has. This out-of-context misused statement will be used over and over to bash whatever idea that poster doesn't agree with.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Be very, very careful, and extremely specific in anything "official" you say here. There have been past incidents where something an "official" person has said, has been taken out of context, read between the lines, read into, and generally warped to fit whatever idea/belief the [usually vocal dissenting] poster has. This out-of-context misused statement will be used over and over to bash whatever idea that poster doesn't agree with.

Unfortunately, yes. I've seen it myself various times the last three years. When the forum starts ambushing a ZOS employee, it's going to get really icky.

Sad. But human nature these days.
  • Alendrin
    Alendrin
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a developer I wouldn't come here to interact. That being said, some of the decisions made are so mind bogglingly bizarre and seemingly out of touch with what goes on in the game that it would be nice to hear the reasoning and/or the vision the developers have, even if such communication was one sided.
  • Cozzy1991
    Cozzy1991
    ✭✭✭
    Nah fam. Support team needs more communication. Too many unanswered tickets. Pro tip, if you answer your support claims you keep more customers. Customers lead to money. Who knew!
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would like it if, instead of radio silence regarding certain bugs, we would get more answers along the line of “we can’t seem to find the root cause of this but we’re trying as hard as we can”.

I mean, despite this being a product that we as players buy, it’s made by humans and humans are not flawless. I don’t expect them to be. But the way it gets resolved is probably more important than any bug itself.

Side note - as a non-American I find it fascinating that so many players use the argument that the company would open itself to lawsuits by doing certain things. I can’t imagine wanting to spend that much energy and time on taking legal steps against a company because of something in a game, but I guess that’s just a cultural difference.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin
    I want to add that there used to be a 89 page long thread on this forum that has gone completely ignored by the developers with 124 agrees and 28 awesomes on its main page on a rather niche topic (that is very important to the people that care), making the support it gathered quite impressive actually. It went on for half a year and stayed constructive and on topic, however it was never acknowledged and the topic of moderation aside, to this day we still do not know what went wrong there and why ZOS seems to have a different opinion on the matter than us. The class reps have lead us to believe that they know more, however they are under NDA and are not allowed to talk about it unless ZOS gives them the OK, which they never did. The playerbase is left in the dark.
    The existence of that thread and the fact that nobody acknowledged it has become a meme itself and is a symbol of the "ZOS does not care" mentality.

Here it is.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/459007/wood-elf-bosmer-losing-stealth-passive-an-open-letter/p1

At this point I am not expecting anything to be done about it (although it would be appreciated), but it is definitely something that you should know about if the goal is to improve communication. Most notably someone in that thread has even interviewed a developer on our behalf and they told us "something is coming" and we started speculating from there, since that's all we could do. Years later we now know what that most likely was (CP2.0), but even back then we were vocal about our expectations on how this issue should be resolved and rejected that solution as it did not address the underlying problem, even if it is a neat system. It completely missed the point to the thread.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »
    Personally I would like it if, instead of radio silence regarding certain bugs, we would get more answers along the line of “we can’t seem to find the root cause of this but we’re trying as hard as we can”.

I mean, despite this being a product that we as players buy, it’s made by humans and humans are not flawless. I don’t expect them to be. But the way it gets resolved is probably more important than any bug itself.

Side note - as a non-American I find it fascinating that so many players use the argument that the company would open itself to lawsuits by doing certain things. I can’t imagine wanting to spend that much energy and time on taking legal steps against a company because of something in a game, but I guess that’s just a cultural difference.

If you have spare time and want to go down many rabbit holes, do a search on the forum for lawsuit

The results will provide amusement, head scratches, and confusion. One person was definitely filing a class-action lawsuit, but hasn't been back to the forums since 2018 for whatever reason. Other people made statements but merely wanted to vent. But its still evident that some people will hunt for any scrap of a hint of a possibility that would allow them to sue. Like over the fact that Morrowind was an expansion/chapter and not included in the base game, when it first came out....
    Edited by JKorr on June 29, 2021 11:44PM
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with ZOS and many large companies is that they consider communication to be ‘communicating to’ not ‘communicating with’. They tell us what’s coming (Companions, Endeavours, &c.) and that’s it, job done.

That would be absolutely fine if their product wasn’t riddled with bugs, lag and performance issues. If they could produce a functioning game, I’d have no problem with being told instead of listened to. Xbox particularly is in the worst state I’ve ever known it at the moment (only been playing two years, though).

Microsoft have made significant efforts to listen to its customers, having been trounced by Sony in the previous generation. I can only hope they work to instil this kind of customer service ethic into ZOS over the coming months [snip]

[snipped for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on July 2, 2021 1:19PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer less apologies in letters and more 'actions' that relate to what they programmed for us.

The year of performance:
    Didn't go down to well. Most players I socialise with find this comical and I think it's the general feeling amongst the community as it did near to nothing in terms of server/gameplay efficiency from our point of view. Most of us have just seen the game get worse and worse in terms of playability. The best example is still Cyrodill PvP which I think they have washed their hands of as nothing is announced nor planned in the upcoming years (or is it?...we don't know...no info)

Upcoming DLC (Will they take feedback and offer a better package with more detail, story telling, content?)
    We don't know as there has been no info/no feedback from our feedback and nothing announced.

It's little things like these which add to community trust, people tend to brush off the power of showing your face and talking to your players and after 7 years I think it's important to have something that resembles a friendship (even if it's fake and its for business purposes).

The youtube lives are gone, now all we get is Twitch with some random chosen players to promote new content, but we don't speak about desires, changes and reparations of existing issues. Problem solving can get a whole community behind you too.

Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on June 29, 2021 4:27PM
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted many discussions about different bugs in the ESO forums over the years and I've got one reply in all that time that was basically "we're aware and will fix it in the future".
    For comparison I once posted about a bug in the Division 2 forums and within an hour or so had a Dev asking me questions about when and where it was occurring. That Dev even got another involved and I wound up having a back and forth conversation to explain the issue to them and it felt like the Devs REALLY CARED about the gaming experience and wanted to help.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only dream of the devs caring about the gaming experience and wanting to help.
  • priestnall.andrewrwb17_ESO
    @ZOS_Kevin has done a sterling job in a short space of time. ./bow
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If we could submit questions to you and every now and then you pick some of those questions and get them answered for us would be awesome. Basically be the link between us and the devs. That way the devs time is not wasted answering the same stuff over and over again, im sure they can take the time to answer a few questions every now and then.

Or maybe do a community discussion where we can ask and discuss stuff on stream, you could do that with someone from the Stream team. As an example do a endgame trials state of the game discussion with nefas where we can talk about all things trials (metas, healthy changes, crit changes etc). You could do the same with class balance, host a discussion with PainInTheAxx or Nirnstorm (or both) discussing DKs and what the class is lacking or excels at (We had a LOT of DK buff threads).
    Basically discuss parts of the game with us, use the stream team for that, it can be about anything really, Pve, PvP, Housing, Class balance etc.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    An FAQ would be well worthwhile.

Many of the same questions come up over and over. Even having an entry about "Guild Vendors" (one example) would be useful. Explain the sides of an issue, the development view, etc.

Giving the feeling that a customer's voice is heard is the important thing.

Also working to get some of the longstanding problems fixed or at least firmly on the schedule would be a good idea, along with communicating that. I should never find the same flaw, possibly with a note "it will be fixed soon" 8 years later!

An example that comes to me now is why the ladders in the AD base in Imperial City do not show quest markers on the ladders as they do in the other alliance bases. Why has that issue not been addressed at all over even the 3 years or so I have been playing?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS: can't really explain due to nda, legal restrictions, copyright issues and the simple fact the "easy" solution won't work because they built their own proprietary engine: No, we have to do it this way.

Buttoning up to make it VERY limited is not a good approach. Saying "we don't want to have flying mounts because ..." does not require legal review. (For example, I would love flying mounts, but don't expect them here at all. Not a true issue of concern now, but it makes the point.)

I will again note that Ghostcrawler was very engaged in the WoW community years ago, so it can be done. Though he was not really valued by management (apparently) and his actions were definitely the exception.

The biggest problem here is the same as many other MMOs. Players have no way to really talk out solid ideas. You will mostly get told to "play something else if you don't like things exactly how they are" by other players if you mention just about anything.

Try raising the artificial need to run an arbitrary distance to get nodes to respawn for surveys and you will get told to "let them pile up less" or have several ways people have worked around the bad need. That should be one a short list to fix at some point (not never). But then I read of bugged quests that are easy to generate from 8 years ago that are still here, so I doubt anything will be done. This is a major problem that will eventually bite the MMO.

Except that they have actually done this before. And it was completely ignored. The devs stated they wouldn't implement the second part of the justice system because they couldn't find a way to do it without players abusing it. It has NOT stopped anyone from continuing to demand the second part of the justice system and not believing the statement they can't find a way. The devs have said no climbing or swimming, and gave reasons why. Still, people insist making flying mounts and underwater content would be sooooo easy and say the devs are simply lazy or too dumb to do it. The artificial need? You mean like when people found a way to exploit surveys for basically infinite mats, and ZOS had to block the exploit? Or the endless trains of characters in Coldharbour jammies lining up to turn in a quest for gold, taking 4 steps away and dying, to be replaced by another character named "asdfjkl;". That exploit was stopped when ZOS instituted the "delete 3 characters" rule. They explained, and people still complain they should be able to make as many characters as they want all the time, even though it was abused and exploited by gold sellers.

People get attached to their favorite ideas, and do not want to hear that special idea wouldn't work with the game's structure. At least not without rewriting the entire game from the ground up. No matter how many times, and how many ways the devs try to explain the posters special ideas are super special, and they know everything would work if the devs only listened....
  • NylAR
    NylAR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elo106 wrote: »
    Agreed when they nerf skills no one uses, for what seems to us no apparent reason, or not buff classes that are clearly lacking it seems like they are out of touch with the game. Or CP 2.0, just answer some threads here every now and then and people can stop making threads about the same issues over and over again.

Just changing things randomly (from our POV) leads us to believe the devs dont know what they are doing.

Zos admitted to bad communication, but apparently theres nothing being done about it

Some "unused" skills that have been nerfed actually were exploitable in the past. Not going to go into specifics but it's usually why that happens. For those unaware It sadly creates an illusion that the devs have no idea what they're doing. Which sadly is the case but it's not because of that.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Except that they have actually done this before. And it was completely ignored. The devs stated they wouldn't implement the second part of the justice system because they couldn't find a way to do it without players abusing it. It has NOT stopped anyone from continuing to demand the second part of the justice system and not believing the statement they can't find a way. The devs have said no climbing or swimming, and gave reasons why. Still, people insist making flying mounts and underwater content would be sooooo easy and say the devs are simply lazy or too dumb to do it. The artificial need? You mean like when people found a way to exploit surveys for basically infinite mats, and ZOS had to block the exploit? Or the endless trains of characters in Coldharbour jammies lining up to turn in a quest for gold, taking 4 steps away and dying, to be replaced by another character named "asdfjkl;". That exploit was stopped when ZOS instituted the "delete 3 characters" rule. They explained, and people still complain they should be able to make as many characters as they want all the time, even though it was abused and exploited by gold sellers.

People get attached to their favorite ideas, and do not want to hear that special idea wouldn't work with the game's structure. At least not without rewriting the entire game from the ground up. No matter how many times, and how many ways the devs try to explain the posters special ideas are super special, and they know everything would work if the devs only listened....

You have completely missed the point. I have no idea about the issue you first note. That is not the point. The point is that most of us don't feel we have any way to give input to devs that will at least be considered.

Liking the answer is not the point. The feeling you can give input on a game you spend a lot of time and possibly money on is. Your point does not address that.

Please don't just deny all that because of a few issues you are bothered by.
    NylAR wrote: »
    Agreed when they nerf skills no one uses, for what seems to us no apparent reason, or not buff classes that are clearly lacking it seems like they are out of touch with the game. Or CP 2.0, just answer some threads here every now and then and people can stop making threads about the same issues over and over again.

Just changing things randomly (from our POV) leads us to believe the devs dont know what they are doing.

Zos admitted to bad communication, but apparently theres nothing being done about it

Some "unused" skills that have been nerfed actually were exploitable in the past. Not going to go into specifics but it's usually why that happens. For those unaware It sadly creates an illusion that the devs have no idea what they're doing. Which sadly is the case but it's not because of that.

I have found that most devs of any MMO give the idea they are not really considering the broader picture.

And clearly management of those devs values different things than players. Otherwise people on consoles would not have had a major hassle listing and selling things on guild vendors and merchants for so long a time. That was a serious QA fail, but the point is the same. It gives the appearance, at the very least, that the goal is to crank out a product, not to really serve customers well.

A few things have done the latter, like the stickerbook and the older map changes, but more of those QoL items are needed, but seem to be completely ignored.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Kalik_Gold
    Kalik_Gold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread was made ---- Zos hired more forum people. @ZOS_Kevin

People posted here for years and never got any positive commentary, just don't post this, post deleted, against the rules.

I have also noticed a few more reps leaving positive commentary.

Thanks for the forum changes. It really is noticeable.
    Main: (PvP & PvE)
    Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar, the Vestige

PvP:
    Aurik Siet'ka a Redguard Necromancer
    Cacique the Sage of Ius a Redguard Warden
    Jux Blackheart a Redguard Nightblade
    Goliath of Hammerfell a Redguard Dragonknight
    Kaotik Von Dae'mon a Redguard* Sorcerer

PvP: (Specialty)
    Tyrus Septim an Imperial Lycan Sorcerer
    Tsar af-Bomba a Redguard Vampiric Nightblade
    Movárth Piquine a Nord Vampiric Necromancer
    Uri Ice-Heart the Twin a Nord Vampiric Warden

PvE:
    Cinan Tharn an Imperial Dragonknight
    Bates Vesuius of Dawnstar an Imperial Dragonknight
    Herzog Zwei the Genesis an Akavari* Templar
    Tav'i at-Shinji a Redguard** Warden
    Lucky Hunch the Gambler - a Redguard Nightblade

Leveling...
    Zenovia at-Tura a Redguard** Sorcerer
    Yesi af-Kalik a Redguard Templar
    Voa a Priest of Sep a Redguard* Necromancer
    ======
    Passives of another race used. (RP)
    *Breton
    **Imperial

__________________________Backstories:_________________________

Ras Kalik the Vestige, a renown Redguard warrior; He has been blessed to save Tamriel from Molag Bal’s destructive Planemeld while reuniting the Five Companions. His further accomplishments after defeating Molag Bal, has been to stop the destruction of Morrowind, the Clockwork City, return order to the isle of Summerset and create a new king in Wrothgar and a queen in Elsywer. These events have made him a living legend and continue to lead him into new adventures throughout Tamriel, as well as into the hearts of many ladies including the Elf Queen, Aryenn. Over many years of adventurous travels, Ras Kalik had become a loner, until he re-visited his homeland of Alik'r.

Alik'r and it's cities were overrun by the undead Ra-Netu and therefore he made an allegiance with Alik'r's own Ash'abah tribe. These Ash'abah with his help, cleansed the city of Sentinel in Alik'r desert and it's surrounding areas of the undead brought to life by the Withered Hand. After rescuing Sentinel from the undead zombies, King Fahara’jad’s personal bodyguard the Goliath of Hammerfell, who was given this name by Imperials in the region; was asked to assist the tribe after learning of the defeat of the Withered Hand to the Ash'abah. Kalik promised Goliath he would task him with fighting living enemies on the battlefield if he so desired. Goliath being a Yokudan warrior wields a massive sword in respect to the Ansei, a gift given by the Imperial, Cinan Tharn. Not many soldiers are able to wield double two handed weapons, but Goliath loves to get up and personal in a fight, so he also carries a giant maul, both weapons laced with magical flames.

Jux Blackheart is a master thief that masquerades as a Bard at the Sisters of the Sands inn, with his younger sidekick Lucky Hunch for pilfering and gambling during this time. Jux was known to infiltrate any towns bank vault he came across and even delved into Ayelid ruins without detection. Kalik can vividly recall the night he met the famed thief. Jux found himself rummaging thru a slightly inebriated Kalik’s pocket for too long, on a full-mooned night and because of his greed and the glimmer of his golden armor in the moonlight. He lost his left pinky fingertip as a lesson! But in return, he gained a new friend, as it was his first time since a child being caught red-handed...

Upon arrival back in the Alik'r after many moons of adventuring, Ras Kalik ventures to Bergama. Visiting The Winking Jackal, he runs into Jux Blackheart, who introduces him to the coin game Crowns vs Forebearers (Heads vs Tails) and Golden Dwemer (RBG).... Jux constantly takes gold from the unfortunate thru theft or gambling, his biggest gambling victim is actually his partner in crime known as Lucky Hunch the Gambler. Lucky doesn't mind losing any gold coins to Jux... as Jux saved him from Altmer slavers in Summerset, by stealing a key and sending him on a boat to the mainland years prior. Lucky spent years in slavery with Khajiits in Summerset and picked up the art of subterfuge, using illusion magic disguises and stealing there.

Kaotik Von’Daemon an outcast, and a half-caste between a Breton mother and a Redguard father. Kaotik become a pariah due to his conjuration of Daedra pets. He was taught healing magic during his childhood years by his Breton mother. His father due to Redguard customs exiled him from the desert, sending him by wagon caravan to be a soldier in the war in Cyrodiil. He happened to meet Kalik while traveling from Alik'r, during this long caravan ride the caravan he was in was ambushed in Bangkorai by a group of bandits. Kalik by chance was also traveling thru this area on his Auridon Warhorse (which was bestowed to him by his friend, Darien Gautier). During this ambush, Kalik was able to rescue five hostages from the bandits. Kaotik was the first rescued, and Ras Kalik also recruited him to be in the Ash'abah tribe. These core Ash'abah tribesmen may never be seen together in travel as they partake in their own adventures but they always know what each other is doing; as they frequent a hideout in northern Bankorai. Their hideout an old Orc castle ruin, is kept watch by Nuzhimeh and she passes messages written between them, and frequently they also enjoy her company and her bed.

The other men rescued were a Dunmer banker, an Imperial mercenary and two other soldiers, an Imperial and a Breton Knight, stating proudly he was an Akavir descendent. One of the Imperials, Cinan, claimed to be related to Abnur Tharn the Battlemage of the Imperial Elder Council (One of Ras Kalik's mentors in the Five Companions). Cinan Tharn was really Abnur's drunkard treasure hunting illegitimate son. He was caught smuggling artifacts out of the Ayleid ruins in Cyrodiil and the elder of the two Imperials was Tyrus Septim a retired Imperial navy battle-mage (now a Lycan mercenary living in the city of Rimmen) and guard to the Tharn family. As much as Abnur Tharn hated his half-sister Euraxia, he dislikes his bas†ard son Cinan more. Tyrus now a ruffian and privateer had been paid by Abnur Tharn to watch over Cinan as much as possible. Cinan Tharn a drunkard, loves to drink at least a quarter barrel of Nord mead before he raids various delves and dungeons for relics to sell on the black market. Cinan also plans to one day, run an illegal gambling ring... which he thinks will net him more gold for his wares.

The Dunmer captive shackled to the Imperials looked familiar to Kalik from his time in Morrowind.... and he recognized him as Tythis Andromo a House Telvanni slave-owner and banker from Vvardenfell. During a rough interrogation to Tythis, Ras Kalik learnt why the bandits accosted him. The racist Dunmer was providing slaves as soldiers for the Three Banner War. The bandits were trying to negotiate a lucrative ransom for Andromo and the Imperials.... Kalik did not need any of this gold and he could never set Tythis free as he did with the two Imperial soldiers. His past involvement with slavery and war crimes, made Kalik's blood boil. He chose not to execute Tythis, as he figured the worse punishment for this former rich and opulent slave owner, is to now be an imprisoned servant for Ras Kalik and the tribe.

Herzog Zwei the Genesis a reknown Imperial/Akavirri battle-mage. His roots going back to Akavir through his mother’s bloodline. (His mother is descended from the Akaviri, through Versidue-Shae, and his Imperial father met her in Hakoshae, while traveling) Herzog earned the nickname "the Genesis" from his father as a child, as he was his mother's first born child, and last, as she tragically died in child-birth.

Herzog was seeking to purchase an artifact from Cinan Tharn, before their capture and was meeting Tyrus while in Rimmen, who introduced him to Cinan. This artifact being the Ayelid artifact; the sword Sinweaver. After their rescue and the exchange of gold to Cinan for the sword he decided to slip away before Ras Kalik could question who he was, and why the Akavir descendant really wanted that sword. Herzog was headed to Nagastani — An Ayleid ruin in eastern Cyrodiil. He had read in scrolls that the Sword would give him magical powers to meet his mothers spirit, if he performed an Ayleid ritual at an old shrine hidden there. Equipped with the artifact sword, he was off to start his own adventure but Ras Kalik, did indeed notice the sword however and instead sent a letter to Jux Blackheart (whom also was interested in Ayleid treasures), to attempt to find Herzog and acquire the sword. (*Azani Blackheart in Elder Scroll's Oblivion is Jux's descendant some 747 years later)

And so the Redguard, Imperial and Akaviri men parted ways ... While Ras Kalik went off to Elsweyr to encounter the latest threat to Tamriel, with Abnur Tharn and Sai Sahan - - DRAGONS!! Little did Ras Kalik know a few people were awaiting him in Senchal besides Sai. A necromancer survived his attack on the Withered Hand, while in Alik'r. The necromancer known as Auriek Siet'ka is also following him to the land of the Khajiits and Cacique the Sage of Ius a Shaman mystic who has become attuned spiritually with Tu'whacca (a Redguard God) and Ius (the Animal God), after being burned severely by the escaped dragons in Elsywer, is awaiting his arrival also. Aurik is a soldier of the Daggerfall Covenant that was introduced to necromancy while in the military, even though this magicka art is not spoken of openly by most of the Military leaders. He came to Alik'r and worked with the Withered Hand before Ras Kalik intervened on their plans. After the defeat of the Withered Hand, he aligned with the Worm Cult, and is constantly adapting and perfecting his necromantic arts.

After his journey to Rimmen, Kalik heads south to Senchal, in the southern regions of Elyswer. This new adventure will also put him on a path to meet a strange Redguard man. The stranger which was infected with an untreated Peyrite disease and also was the exiled from the Order of the New Moon cult, due to his sickness. He originally joined the cult to worship Laatvulon, the green dragon, mistakenly thinking it was the Daedric prince Peyrite. This confused and suffering cultist is known as Tsar al-Bomba and he is on a path to spread the disease. He was originally infected in Orccrest while recruiting members there. Can Ras Kalik and the shaman Cacique cure this poor soul, only time will tell. Little does Tsar al-Bomba know, that his infection is tied to Vampirism, and eventually the desire for blood will take over his mind. Senchal also offers Kalik his latest love interest... Aeliah. Whom he fondly led thru battles with the Dragonguard.

After the trek thru the heat, tropical and desert climate of Northern and Southern Elyswer, Ras Kalik heads north to the cold mountain range of Skyrim. His companion friend Lyris beckons for him with a letter sent by crow...

Movárth Piquine - a former vampire hunter (now infected), within the Fighter's Guild (and a secretive necromancer) was in Skyrim working with the Morthaal Guard. On a patrol mission he was caught in Frewien's ice curse outside of Morthaal with the frozen undead. Movárth's vampiric infection kept him from becoming an undead minion to the curse. He was able to use necromantic ice-magic to encase himself safely until he was freed with Freiwen, when the Vestige Ras Kalik broke the curse.

Uri Ice-Heart - brother of Urfon Ice-Heart. The twin sons of Atli and Oljourn Ice-Heart. The Ice-Heart family are originally from Markarth but now reside on the Jerall Mountain range near Cyrodiil, with their younger sister Araki. The twins had joined the Winterborn Reachmen while living in Markarth. Urfon pushed west to Orsinium with the Winterborn Clan, leaving his family behind. Uri stayed behind with his parents and sister to live in the family cabin for safety, avoiding the Vampire plague infiltrating the Reach. After news reaches him and he hears of Urfon's death... Uri leaves and heads home and is seeking vengeance. Meanwhile, his sister has also moved on to Windhelm to join the Fighter's guild. He will visit his sister, once before going to seek vengeance and she will craft him armor mixed with ice, called Stalhrim armor. Uri fearing death, after his brother's passing, falls victim to the convincing talk of Movárth at a Nordic tavern, and will also becomes a vampire.

{time moves forward through the hour-glass}
    PS5/NA - Ras Kalik a Redguard Templar - Daggerfall Covenant • 1550+ Champion

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alendrin wrote: »
    If I was a developer I wouldn't come here to interact. That being said, some of the decisions made are so mind bogglingly bizarre and seemingly out of touch with what goes on in the game that it would be nice to hear the reasoning and/or the vision the developers have, even if such communication was one sided.

This is something that was introduced in the patch notes a long time ago now, although of course their explanations won't satisfy everyone all of the time.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You have completely missed the point. I have no idea about the issue you first note. That is not the point. The point is that most of us don't feel we have any way to give input to devs that will at least be considered.

Liking the answer is not the point. The feeling you can give input on a game you spend a lot of time and possibly money on is. Your point does not address that.

I have found that most devs of any MMO give the idea they are not really considering the broader picture.

And clearly management of those devs values different things than players. Otherwise people on consoles would not have had a major hassle listing and selling things on guild vendors and merchants for so long a time. That was a serious QA fail, but the point is the same. It gives the appearance, at the very least, that the goal is to crank out a product, not to really serve customers well.

A few things have done the latter, like the stickerbook and the older map changes, but more of those QoL items are needed, but seem to be completely ignored.

Want to get your idea/wish/ultimate improvement that will perfect the game to the dev's notice? Use /feedback in the game. Someone does read those. Whether the perfect suggestion is actually perfect or even doable might be in doubt, but someone will read it. Want more contact? There is a CONTACT link at the bottom of every page. A polite, civil email might work. Also something to consider; you have a suggestion. How many other players have detailed suggestions they want the devs to notice? How much time does it take for someone to evaluate an idea, evaluate whether it will work with the game's structure or require rebuilding the game from the ground up, and evaluate whether the idea is actually worth the effort, time and expense it would take to add it? Along with attempting to explain to the idea's originator why their perfect pet suggestion can't be done and actually have them believe the explanation... My own personal not speaking for anyone else opinion; they would never be able to provide the amount of explanation and the detail of reasoning why something can't be done to appease the proposer of a pet, perfect, "I know this will work if only the devs listened" idea.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Want to get your idea/wish/ultimate improvement that will perfect the game to the dev's notice? Use /feedback in the game. Someone does read those. Whether the perfect suggestion is actually perfect or even doable might be in doubt, but someone will read it. Want more contact? There is a CONTACT link at the bottom of every page. A polite, civil email might work. Also something to consider; you have a suggestion. How many other players have detailed suggestions they want the devs to notice? How much time does it take for someone to evaluate an idea, evaluate whether it will work with the game's structure or require rebuilding the game from the ground up, and evaluate whether the idea is actually worth the effort, time and expense it would take to add it? Along with attempting to explain to the idea's originator why their perfect pet suggestion can't be done and actually have them believe the explanation... My own personal not speaking for anyone else opinion; they would never be able to provide the amount of explanation and the detail of reasoning why something can't be done to appease the proposer of a pet, perfect, "I know this will work if only the devs listened" idea.

I don't think the /feedback tool on consoles is the ideal place to leave detailed feedback. There needs to be an official place here on the forums because it's more conducive to that. And I agree not every idea can be walked through, but when the same requests - surveys, writ, noisy npcs, pets blocking life itself - pop up again and again, it's high-time that someone from ZOS at least acknowledge them.

Tagging @ZOS_GinaBruno has proven fruitless, and @ZOS_Kevin has yet to acknowledge any major QoL requests, even though they're doing a stellar job otherwise. There needs to be more detailed explanation on what's going on. My professional expectation of community managers is that they identify and acknowledge common requests, champion getting them developer attention, and relay feedback back to us. These processes aren't hard to engineer, I've helped countless clients design solid feedback loops like this. I'm hoping that they can reposition the staff overseeing these forums to address these longstanding business process shortcomings.
    Edited by Destai on July 29, 2021 5:07PM
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The informative feedback of these forums has always been awful. It's not going to change. Given the minute vocal minority that come here to express themselves, there is no real financial incentive to change anything. That's why the primary concern here is moderation for crowd control.

The near constancy of sweeping, inexplicable combat development changes the last couple of years has seriously diluted the entertainment value. All things considered, I think it's much easier to simply not care about what they do. It certainly is a fruitless effort if you do. Better to focus on investing time in things that are actually fun.