The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Scaly Cloth Scraps - The Grind

• whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is that what it looks like undyed?
  • CoronHR
    CoronHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm up to 32 in my daily scaly cloth scrap crap.

i have got 2 scraps within 1 min of each other. i thought for the longest time that they were on a cooldown, but no. usually it takes me 30 mins to get one. i can get one literally from those first two beasts right as you enter as soon as i enter. it's usually 30 mins though

it's kind of annoying, but the way i look at it is, if you were to farm for the gladiator's costume, which is 50 arena gladiator proofs, each of which is somewhat of a challenge to collect, then farming the scaly cloth scraps actually isn't that bad. it's like...farm one a day, and in 50 days you'll have it. actually you can probably farm 2 a day. i've noticed that when i swap characters, it's a little easier to get another one. or at least it seems like it. i can't imagine char swapping would improve rng!
    PC - EU - Steam client
  • Gadget4
    Gadget4
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve had 152 pieces so far ... some for myself, some gifted to friends, others for selling

On average, for me, the drop rate works out at 1 x Scaly Cloth Scrap every 10 minutes

.. I stopped going into the Silent Halls at the beginning of the Blackwood event, as the purple boxes screwed up the Cloth Scrap drop rate, but have only been in there once since as I’m still moving house .. but I will return & carry on collecting the pieces

PS5 EU (UK)
    PS5 NA
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Is that what it looks like undyed?

No, this is the vampire gown undyed.
    20210602183131_1.jpg
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My goal, since I started farming for this, was just getting 1 per day. I am up to 21. Just another month to go lol.

Honestly though, it has been a great place to level Bastian.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The outfit is nice, but not nice enough to make me willing to sacrifice months of my life just to get.

So I just sell the stray pieces I get. Unless the drop rate improves or the price goes down to around 2-4K per piece, I'm not even going to bother. I can live without the outfit. It's just not worth it for me to stress over.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post inspired me to jump in there every day to get one, but after an hour of no drop I scratched that idea.

Horrible drop rate and I hate the low mob numbers in recent public dungeons. Awful places to grind anything.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I wish MMO devs would ask themselves always who would benefit from this - always gold farmers=players who don't have money, who else?
    also someone stated here he has 10 mins/1 piece, I don't even have loot from those public dung bosses at all sometimes, it is bugged even in Aldmeri dominion world bosses for some time. And they add such grind into it...
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Griefclaw
    Griefclaw
    ✭✭
    For me its also the fact that you grind for this thing for ages, and its a mundane gown that will garner no attention from anyone in the world. If you walked past me in it, I wouldn't think anything about it. Which sucks because I should pay attention to it and realise how long it would of taken you to get it.

At least if they are going to do these grind's make them worthwhile. But its a ever present trend with ZOS, most of the in game earnable stuff is absolute trash, with the exception of a few things like the dwarven wolf mount. (which was quite a while ago now and still no new other mounts in the antiquity skill)

Then the new crown store items and crates come out, with cool stuff which you would love to be able to earn in game in some capacity via achievements, grinds, world puzzles? But no.

And yeah, it's either a useless title, boring memento, plain ass clothes or if your lucky some pet cat.

They could venture into aura mementos like they have previously in some crown crates but haven't, no other cool grind's for other things like fishing? why hasn't that been expanded a little?, don't get me started on PvP rewards, but yeah I'll end it there.

Obviously this is my opinion but I'd hazard a guess that most people would agree if you lined all the "grindable" collectibles/rewards up and compared them to what's on offer in the crown store. Obviously they need to make money from it and there needs to be a difference, but WoW does it fine with cool mounts earnable ingame and in the store, what's the difference?
    twitch.tv/griefclaw
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I thought the Elsweyr grind for 10 was okay, but it still took me about 6 hours of grinding each dungeon to get all 10 pieces. Maybe I got unlucky.

I think you go lucky...I did it in a about a month of 2-4 hours of play over 3 day weekends.

Still stalled out at 3 bits for the 7th house outfit. every week or so i go in for an hour...nothing in a long time.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got about 15 pieces… good way to level up alts and companions but the drop rate is ridiculous. Even Bastian looks unhappy when this one takes him there.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done any of the grinds that require getting 50 pieces. Too much, too long, too boring.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shamelessly necroing this thread to complain that the drop rate on these is still outrageously low. :|
  • Bat
    Bat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Is this being looked into?

I doubt most of us want to grind that public dungeon for thousands of hours just for a costume.
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin please pass on the feedback to look into the drop rate. It is abysmal.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Scaly Cloth Scraps - The Grind

Don't feel bad, a year+ later I am still looking for a dumb belt piece from that public dungeon in the caverns to complete my collectible outfit. Since it is the one piece I also never see on a vendor, I have to assume it is either extremely rare, no-drop or both.

• ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bat wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin

Is this being looked into?

I doubt most of us want to grind that public dungeon for thousands of hours just for a costume.

It won't be thousands, but it could get close enough to a hundred.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on January 11, 2022 3:23PM
  • G1Countdown
    G1Countdown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RNG on this is hit or miss. I've already farmed over 100 scraps. 50 for me. 50 I've sold. They are out there. They do drop.

Slow spells do occur, but I am finding them. Perhaps rng is radically different on other platforms, and this could seriously need to be looked into to see if their is an active bug.

I definitely have not spent 1000 hours on this. Nor, 100.
  • Ingel_Riday
    Ingel_Riday
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shamelessly necroing this thread to complain that the drop rate on these is still outrageously low. :|

Haha, don't worry about it. I was looking for a thread like this, too, in order to grumble as well. :-P

At this point, I have:

- 3 scaly cloth scraps (need 50)
    - 6 stone husk fragments (need 50)
    - 1 piece of Part A of the High Isle pet (need 25)
    - 1 piece of Part B of the High Isle pet (need 25)

I can't use them to build up a meter in my collection and free up inventory space. No, they just sit there in my bag taking up space. I hate it, and I've been trying to grind them out to get rid of them.

My progress over the past three days: 3 hours total of the Labrythian public dungeon, running loops, killing everything that moves... 0 drops. Gained a level and a half for Isobel in the process, I guess, but... ugh. This is pure tedium. Grindy, awful tedium. Assuming an average rate of 1 drop every four hours (and that I get a piece within the next hour), I theoretically have... 173 hours to go, give or take.

That's egregious, haha. By comparison, the entirety of the quest content for High Isle took 30 hours. Spider-Man: Miles Morales takes 15 hours to 100%. You can beat a Call of Duty campaign in 6 hours. This? 173 hours... of running through the same place in a loop, over and over, to earn a cosmetic that will sit in a corner of my house collecting dust. Seems off.

"Padding" is too kind a descriptor. This is bottom-of-the-barrel RNG design and it's discouraging. Almost no one wants anything to do with it, too, so the stone husk fragments sell 50k per on Guild Traders. But... it's 100% optional, completely superfluous, and easily ignored by almost all. It only serves to aggravate the most dedicated of consumers... who will glare in anger and incredulity as they grind it out. And when they finally finish it... the next expansion will add another two low chance RNG cosmetics to grind out. Suffer forever. Seems like a great way to burn off consumer goodwill, but what do I know? :-D
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have gone ahead and closed this thread down since it is rather old. Please keep in mind that sometimes it is better to create a new topic, instead of replying in one that was posted a while ago.

Thanks for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.